Improve the Betrayal-Boot System

For years, we’ve had to suffer from the flaws of the betrayal-boot system. I think we’ve all had a time when some jerk betrayed us on purpose, and we didn’t get the option to boot them, or a time when we accidentally betrayed someone and they booted us.

When these problems are addressed, a lot of people will say “well it’s impossible to tell if it was on purpose or accident”. True, but there are ways to tell if the betrayal was likely an accident or not.

For example, if someone gets betrayed from an Assault Rifle or Battle Rifle or DMR or Sniper Rifle or melee, chances are the betrayal was on purpose, so make that an immediate option for booting. Now if someone is betrayed by a rocket launcher or some other power weapon with a large explosion radius, chances are it was an accident, so the person who made the betrayal might get another chance; not to mention that people who have power weapons are less likely to use it for team-killing simply cause they would value it more (not all the time, but most of the time).

There’s also other way based on the situations of both players: if the player who got betrayed had a power weapon, than it may be likely that he was betrayed for that reason.

Another idea is the more betrayals a player had committed in his/her time on the game, the more likely their betrayals will result in giving the option for booting.

I think these could dramatically improve the performance of the betrayal-booting system. Sure, it wont solve every case, and some people might get unfairly booted, but until 343i employees are monitoring every betrayal that occurs in the game (which will never happen, of course) then stuff like that will happen.

What do you guys think about this proposal?

I don’t mind the current system. At least with three strikes you’re out you can count how many you have left. When I betray it’s on accident. When I have two, I’m extra carefull. As far as the power weapon idea…I wouldn’t complain about that aslong as the target hasn’t been hit by enemy fire in a while. I’d hate to think post skirmish a poorly placed nade gets me booted.

I just don’t want instances like this getting me booted. (If you can’t tell, when I jacked the ghost the vehicle still in motion killed my buddy before I had full command. Yeah, the clip ends abruptly because I was booted. lol)

> I don’t mind the current system. At least with three strikes you’re out you can count how many you have left. When I betray it’s on accident. When I have two, I’m extra carefull. As far as the power weapon idea…I wouldn’t complain about that aslong as the target hasn’t been hit by enemy fire in a while. I’d hate to think post skirmish a poorly placed nade gets me booted.
>
> I just don’t want instances like this getting me booted. (If you can’t tell, when I jacked the ghost the vehicle still in motion killed my buddy before I had full command. Yeah, the clip ends abruptly because I was booted. lol)

Yes, but your concern is based on accidental betrayals, in which the current system is somewhat good at, though the main problem with the current system is its handling of intended betrayals.

But the 3 strike rule you mentioned could easily be turned against you.

If we did what’s in the OP, and fixed this BS where a teammate can destroy your shields and let an enemy get the credit for the kill, and make it so if an enemy kills your shields and a teammate kills you, you get the option to boot, I think the system would be perfect.

> If we did what’s in the OP, and fixed this BS where a teammate can destroy your shields and let an enemy get the credit for the kill, and make it so if an enemy kills your shields and a teammate kills you, you get the option to boot, I think the system would be perfect.

Ah yes, that too. Though I’m not sure how the system could accurately decide if that was what happened.

> If we did what’s in the OP, and fixed this BS where a teammate can destroy your shields and let an enemy get the credit for the kill, and make it so if an enemy kills your shields and a teammate kills you, you get the option to boot, I think the system would be perfect.

Or when a teammate repeatedly disables your wraith with the plasma pistol. UGH!

> > If we did what’s in the OP, and fixed this BS where a teammate can destroy your shields and let an enemy get the credit for the kill, and make it so if an enemy kills your shields and a teammate kills you, you get the option to boot, I think the system would be perfect.
>
> Or when a teammate repeatedly disables your wraith with the plasma pistol. UGH!

This too.

> > If we did what’s in the OP, and fixed this BS where a teammate can destroy your shields and let an enemy get the credit for the kill, and make it so if an enemy kills your shields and a teammate kills you, you get the option to boot, I think the system would be perfect.
>
> Or when a teammate repeatedly disables your wraith with the plasma pistol. UGH!

Ohh, forgot about that one.

> For years, we’ve had to suffer from the flaws of the betrayal-boot system. I think we’ve all had a time when some jerk betrayed us on purpose, and we didn’t get the option to boot them, or a time when we accidentally betrayed someone and they booted us.
>
> When these problems are addressed, a lot of people will say “well it’s impossible to tell if it was on purpose or accident”. True, but there are ways to tell if the betrayal was likely an accident or not.
>
> For example, if someone gets betrayed from an Assault Rifle or Battle Rifle or DMR or Sniper Rifle or melee, chances are the betrayal was on purpose, so make that an immediate option for booting. Now if someone is betrayed by a rocket launcher or some other power weapon with a large explosion radius, chances are it was an accident, so the person who made the betrayal might get another chance; not to mention that people who have power weapons are less likely to use it for team-killing simply cause they would value it more (not all the time, but most of the time).
>
> There’s also other way based on the situations of both players: if the player who got betrayed had a power weapon, than it may be likely that he was betrayed for that reason.
>
> Another idea is the more betrayals a player had committed in his/her time on the game, the more likely their betrayals will result in giving the option for booting.
>
>
> I think these could dramatically improve the performance of the betrayal-booting system. Sure, it wont solve every case, and some people might get unfairly booted, but until 343i employees are monitoring every betrayal that occurs in the game (which will never happen, of course) then stuff like that will happen.
>
> What do you guys think about this proposal?

At this point nearly don’t care what they do once it is something.
The current system is total failure

You guys are going to be really happy there is no betrayal in Halo 4 that’s right you can no longer betray your teammate in Halo 4.

I hate when your banned but a guy is betraying me and I can’t boot him but then I seek revenge and I betray him and then I get booted

You can not do any damage to your teammates you can’t even disable their vehicles so thank 343 for that one.

> You can not do any damage to your teammates you can’t even disable their vehicles so thank 343 for that one.

Source?

I’ve suggested before. There should be a SMITE option at first, and then the BOOT option after repeated betrayals.

After EVERY betrayal, the SMITE option will allow you to kill the offending player by the Guardians, which would prevent betrayals for weapons or anything like that. It’s a middle ground between BOOT and forgiveness.

After repeated betrayals, players would be able to BOOT betrayers, but ONLY after a certain number of repeated betrayals, and I guess taking into account the high-explosive situations that the OP mentioned. That way, BOOT is reserved for serious jerks and offenders, and you can still take a sort of revenge if you so choose, without penalty and without totally screwing anybody.

> I’ve suggested before. There should be a SMITE option at first, and then the BOOT option after repeated betrayals.
>
> After EVERY betrayal, the SMITE option will allow you to kill the offending player by the Guardians, which would prevent betrayals for weapons or anything like that. It’s a middle ground between BOOT and forgiveness.
>
> After repeated betrayals, players would be able to BOOT betrayers. That way, BOOT is reserved for serious jerks and offenders, and you can still take a sort of revenge if you so choose, without penalty and without totally screwing anybody.

This is pro.

Also, @Howler: No, Friendly Fire was just disabled for the E3 build of the game.

> I’ve suggested before. There should be a SMITE option at first, and then the BOOT option after repeated betrayals.
>
> After EVERY betrayal, the SMITE option will allow you to kill the offending player by the Guardians, which would prevent betrayals for weapons or anything like that. It’s a middle ground between BOOT and forgiveness.
>
> After repeated betrayals, players would be able to BOOT betrayers, but ONLY after a certain number of repeated betrayals, and I guess taking into account the high-explosive situations that the OP mentioned. That way, BOOT is reserved for serious jerks and offenders, and you can still take a sort of revenge if you so choose, without penalty and without totally screwing anybody.

Interesting, but I don’t like the idea of accidentally betraying someone while on a spree or multi-kill, and some jerk who knew it was an accident decides to smite you.

The way I see it, the only real reason why that would most likely only happen is if you’re using a power weapon of some kind and cause some collateral damage.

There would probably have to be some way to regulate the SMITE option so that it would be just a tad more lenient when using, for example, Rockets or the Sniper Rifle (yes I’ve seen teammates walk into their sniper’s line of fire before, not pretty), since it’s unlikely that someone who contributes many points to the team with a power weapon actually intended to betray one or two people.

Normal weapons take multiple shots to kill, which means betrayals are not as likely with them, while power weapons usually are lethal pretty much instantly or close to it. If SMITE used some sort of system that takes into account the weapon you betrayed with, and the relative contribution to the team that you have made, then I think it could have potential to be a good reform to the betrayal system.

Of course that doesn’t take into account the occasional retreating injured teammate with shields down that you might accidentally headshot with the BR when he pops around the corner, but hey… no system is perfect. You should still watch where you point your weapon. :stuck_out_tongue:

Betrayals with snipers can be accidents, your team member can walk out infront of you, or the shot can ricochet off a wall/floor

Yes that is exactly what I said…

> You can not do any damage to your teammates you can’t even disable their vehicles so thank 343 for that one.

If true I will be sticking my teammate and he will run through the door into the enemies base owning.