Important story information to know for Halo 4

In an effort to do something “productive”, I thought it would be nice to present a brief overview of important information regarding the overall Halo Universe that very well seems to have relevance with Halo 4 and the Reclaimer Trilogy as a whole. The information comes from the books, Halo: Glasslands, Halo: Cryptum and Halo: Primordium. If you are reading any of these, I will have the information in spoiler tags. That way you get to enjoy your book and the people who just want to know can find out. Any speculation people wish to contribute is welcomed and any speculation that really stands out will be noticed. Since I feel this information is what will have the most impact, I might leave certain bits out. If anyone feels I missed anything, post it and I will add it to the list.

Enjoy.

Glasslands

UNSC Infinity

The UNSC Infinity is a special ship produced by the Office of Naval Intelligence in secret in the Oort cloud outside of the Sol System. It appears that it has been in construction since before the end of the Human-Covenant War up to 2553. It contains a number of Forerunner upgrades and enhancements, potentially Covenant too. Such upgrades come from as of yet revealed sources prior to the appearance of Trevylan, the new name for the Onyx Shield World, and from Trevylan after ONI established a presence on it. Besides it’s standard crew, lead by Andrew Del Rio, it also contains a crew of Spartan-IV supersoliders.Spartan-IVs

Spartan-IVs are the next generation of the Spartan-IV supersolider program. From the information available, they are all volunteers from the best of the UNSC military and will also probably have members from the S-II and S-III programs culled into it’s ranks. They appear to be outfitted with MJOLNIR Mk.VII Powered Assault Armor. Their last known location was on-board the UNSC Infinity.Trevylan

Formerly known as Onyx, Trevylan is the name of the Dyson Sphere that recently exited a Slipspace bubble. It is the roughly the size of Earth’s orbit around the sun. While not the location of Halo 4, the Forerunner technology inside will be used on the UNSC Infinity.Cryptum

The Didact

The Didact is the highest ranking Forerunner military commander during the Human-Forerunner War, a war between the Forerunners and humanity when they were once an intersteller empire, the result was a human defeat and de-evolution, and the subsequent Forerunner-Flood War. For both of these conflicts, there were two Didacts. The first was the original Didact, now dead as a result of the corrupt Forerunner named Faber, also known as the Master Builder. The current Didact was once known as Bornsteller Makes Eternal Lasting, a young Manipular, think teenager in a sense. He discovered the Didact on Earth in a tomb-like preservation device called a Cryptum with the help of two humans named Chakas and Riser. Upon traveling the galaxy with the Didact, he is given a brevet mutation and slowly assumes the identity of the original Didact. Now Bornsteller is the Didact and must combat the Flood that have once again reappeared.The Librarian

The Librarian is the highest ranking Forerunner Lifeworker. She specializes in the study and preservation of the species of the galaxy. She operates mostly on one of the two Arks and occasionally influences other races with a geas, a sort of genetic command. She is also the wife of the Didact and helped preserve humanity after the end of the Human-Forerunner War.Precursors

The Precursors were/are a race of extraterrestrials that at one point surpassed the Forerunners in terms of technological advancement and in fact created the Forerunners, humanity and potentially all the other races of the galaxy. However, the Forerunners rebelled against the Precursors and killed off a vast many of their race, forcing the surviving Precursors to flee.The Timeless One (Part I)

The Timeless One claims to be the last living Precursor and was imprisoned for an unknown reason on the world of Charum Hakkor. During the Human-Forerunner War, he told humanity that the only way to defeat the newly emerged threat of the Flood was to sacrifice 2/3 of their population with a genetic counterattack of their own. It worked, but such losses finally ended the Human-Forerunner War in the Forerunners favor. The Didact met with the Timeless One, still imprisoned, who gave him a dire warning about the Precursors response coming for them. Upon visiting Charum Hakkor 1,000 years later in the wake of a test firing of a rouge Halo, the Timeless One had escaped.Mendicant Bias

Bias is the most powerful Forerunner ancilla, or AI, a Contender-class. His original purpose was to control the Halo Array. However he and his Halos vanished for over 40 years. He ended up conversing with the Timeless One who managed to convince Bias to join his side against the Forerunners. After the end of the Forerunner-Flood War and his fragmentation, Mendicant Bias lived on and began to repent for his crimes. His influence is what allowed Chief to escape Installation 04 (II). Whether he continues to live on is a mystery.Primordium

Chakas

Chakas is an ancient human who has previously journeyed with the original Didact, Bornsteller and a fellow human named Riser. He is seperated from the group by the Master Builder and ends up on Installtion 07, a Halo controlled by the rouge AI Mendicant Bias and the Timeless One. He meets up with a group of humans kept captive on the ring and journeys with a girl named Vinnevra, her grandfather Gamelpar and eventually Riser to the Timeless One’s fortress, the Palace of Pain, a place of horrific human experimentation and proving ground of the Flood. He is constantly at odds with the genetic memory of an ancient human military leader named the Lord of Admirals. Eventually Chakas’ body can no longer handle the strain of his great journey and his consciousness is placed inside a Monitor. Over 100,000 years later the Monitor is found and interrogated by a team of ONI scientists. After telling his story, Chakas manages to hijack the ship he is on, speculated to be the UNSC Infinity, and ventures off to find the Librarian, thought dead long ago but apparently still alive. The Timeless One (Part II)

After leaving Charum Hakkor, the Timeless One became a full-blown Gravemind. He oversees horrifying human experiments on Installation 07 until the Didact and his forces find the ring. Upon interrogation by the Didact, with Chakas attending, the TO reveals that the Flood are a part of a plan against the Forerunners and that humans are meant to inherit the Mantle of protectors of the galaxy that the Forerunners worship. After revealing that the cure the humans had found was a lie and that the Flood willingly chose not to infect, the Didact vaporizes the Timeless One. However, he hints that his death will bring out the presence of “another child” and that in a hundred and one thousand centuries, the Precursors and Flood would come back to bring about unity.Thursday War

Sorry, not enough room to add the above’s content.

I have to congratulate you for producing such a productive and well set out post. Unfortunately, since I despise all the recent changes to Halo’s lore, I won’t be reading much of it. Nevertheless, I like the logical formatting of it.

> I have to congratulate you for producing such a productive and well set out post. Unfortunately, since I despise all the recent changes to Halo’s lore, I won’t be reading much of it. Nevertheless, I like the logical formatting of it.

Thank you. And really, there are certain parts of the story I don’t like either, however I do try to leave out any bias for this list.

Great post, it should even be stickied. These are the must knows before going into Halo 4 for sure.

Very useful stuff, especially about the Timeless one; was always a bit lost on that subject.
Thanks for posting this, Cobra. :slight_smile:

> Very useful stuff, especially about the Timeless one; was always a bit lost on that subject.
> Thanks for posting this, Cobra. :slight_smile:

You’re welcome. Honestly, the TO was always pretty tricky for a lot of us who read the books and still continues to be rather elusive. Much debate rages on if he truly is dead or not since we know the Gravemind in Halo 3 through Halo 3 seems rather intent on not staying dead.

If you have any other questions, let me know and I can look into it for you.

> > Very useful stuff, especially about the Timeless one; was always a bit lost on that subject.
> > Thanks for posting this, Cobra. :slight_smile:
>
> You’re welcome. Honestly, the TO was always pretty tricky for a lot of us who read the books and still continues to be rather elusive. Much debate rages on if he truly is dead or not since we know the Gravemind in Halo 3 through Halo 3 seems rather intent on not staying dead.
>
> If you have any other questions, let me know and I can look into it for you.

Yeah, I’ve read all three of the those books, and still a bit iffy.

Ok, question: The “cure” the humans found wasn’t actually a cure, it was just the Flood choosing not to infect them anymore. Did The Flood chose not to infect them because Humanity sacrificed 2/3 of their population because that’s what The Timeless One told them to do? Was losing 2/3 of Humanity part of a test for Humanity’s control of the Mantle by the Precursors? I could be missing something here, so it may not even be a good question.

> Ok, question: The “cure” the humans found wasn’t actually a cure, it was just the Flood choosing not to infect them anymore. Did The Flood chose not to infect them because Humanity sacrificed 2/3 of their population because that’s what The Timeless One told them to do? Was losing 2/3 of Humanity part of a test for Humanity’s control of the Mantle by the Precursors? I could be missing something here, so it may not even be a good question.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, but let me try to give your question an answer. At the surface, after 2/3 of the population were sacrificed, I’m wagering an outside source, probably a Gravemind, chose to retreat to make it seem like they won. Lookign deeper, the idea for the cure could be seen as a way to prevent humanities destruction. They were loosing their war with the Forerunners and the Forerunners did find out about the Flood. The humans had the cure and so without them, the Forerunners would be at a disadvantage. The Timeless One did say humanity would rise again to be tested, so this was a way to make sure humanity would survive.

> > Ok, question: The “cure” the humans found wasn’t actually a cure, it was just the Flood choosing not to infect them anymore. Did The Flood chose not to infect them because Humanity sacrificed 2/3 of their population because that’s what The Timeless One told them to do? Was losing 2/3 of Humanity part of a test for Humanity’s control of the Mantle by the Precursors? I could be missing something here, so it may not even be a good question.
>
> Sorry it took so long to get back to you, but let me try to give your question an answer. At the surface, after 2/3 of the population were sacrificed, I’m wagering an outside source, probably a Gravemind, chose to retreat to make it seem like they won. Lookign deeper, the idea for the cure could be seen as a way to prevent humanities destruction. They were loosing their war with the Forerunners and the Forerunners did find out about the Flood. The humans had the cure and so without them, the Forerunners would be at a disadvantage. The Timeless One did say humanity would rise again to be tested, so this was a way to make sure humanity would survive.

Ok, I think I get it now. I’m assuming, and hoping, that much more will be clarified with the final Forerunner novel. Still, thanks again for the help :slight_smile:

I thought the didact put the timeless one in a sort of time vortex where he lived out millions of years in a few seconds and slowly died and decayed… I guess I read into it too much

> I thought the didact put the timeless one in a sort of time vortex where he lived out millions of years in a few seconds and slowly died and decayed… I guess I read into it too much

No, no, that is the right idea. However, the TO was in a sense vaporized.

> > I thought the didact put the timeless one in a sort of time vortex where he lived out millions of years in a few seconds and slowly died and decayed… I guess I read into it too much
>
> No, no, that is the right idea. However, the TO was in a sense vaporized.

And then he said, something like “If I die, then another will come” or something like that, right?

Reminds me a bit of “Strike me down and I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.”

> > > I thought the didact put the timeless one in a sort of time vortex where he lived out millions of years in a few seconds and slowly died and decayed… I guess I read into it too much
> >
> > No, no, that is the right idea. However, the TO was in a sense vaporized.
>
> And then he said, something like “If I die, then another will come” or something like that, right?
>
> Reminds me a bit of “Strike me down and I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.”

Well the concept of “neural physics” does sound a lot like the Force. I doubt a parallel wasn’t just coincidental.

Well done OP!

More people need to see this as not everybody read the books which are very important for the reclaimer trilogy.

Cobra this is well done i and i think more people should read this and read all the sources to get a full picture of what might be in halo 4 it adds alot to the story and characters.

Honestly, I think neural physics sounds more like “the Force” or some kind physic power linking everything to every object in the galaxy or universe.

Also, well done, OP. I applaud you.

/stickie

We dont really know how many Grave mind there are we have only seen one so far within the halo games and i think there like a hive mind or have a quick communication. But im sure there are more of theses out in the universe some where how much Knowledge do there really have would be interesting to find out.

Plus i know this is crazy is there a way to “Hack” the gravemind to find out all the info besides AI like cortana?

> Plus i know this is crazy is there a way to “Hack” the gravemind to find out all the info besides AI like cortana?

Perhaps by another Gravemind. Either than that, I don’t think it’s possible.

> > Plus i know this is crazy is there a way to “Hack” the gravemind to find out all the info besides AI like cortana?
>
> Perhaps by another Gravemind. Either than that, I don’t think it’s possible.

True How do yo think they communicate Hive mind for to the communicate verbalizing with sounds if they have a hive mind how strong is it, interstellar can they communicate across the universe?