Implications of the Halo lore after Halo Infinite?

So I’ve just been wondering if Halo Infinite will completely erase Halo 5’s story from the lore. I doubt it because of the new book, Shadows of Reach, but what other parts of the lore would it affect? Some things I wonder about are:

• Design of Elites and grunts - The villain of the story (Cortana, the flood, somebody else?) - Will it set off another arc in the Halo timeline?Just some of the things, I wanna know what people think about all this and more. Theories, confirmed news, opinions, anything.

im pretty sure they confirmed that it will be a continuation of halo wars 2 which came after halo 5 2 months i think

> 2535454088782009;2:
> im pretty sure they confirmed that it will be a continuation of halo wars 2 which came after halo 5 2 months i think

I don’t doubt it will have some of the same aspects, but Halo Infinite takes place in 2560, two years after Halo 5 and Halo Wars 2 (if Halo Wars 2 takes place when you say it does)

> 2535425366565481;3:
> > 2535454088782009;2:
> > im pretty sure they confirmed that it will be a continuation of halo wars 2 which came after halo 5 2 months i think
>
> I don’t doubt it will have some of the same aspects, but Halo Infinite takes place in 2560, two years after Halo 5 and Halo Wars 2 (if Halo Wars 2 takes place when you say it does)

From what I have seen in Halo Wars 2, Captain Cutter and his crew woke up in the Year 2559 after being lost with all hands in 2531. It’s very possible Halo Infinite will pick up on the aftermath of both storylines.

> 2533274883624877;4:
> > 2535425366565481;3:
> > > 2535454088782009;2:
> > > im pretty sure they confirmed that it will be a continuation of halo wars 2 which came after halo 5 2 months i think
> >
> > I don’t doubt it will have some of the same aspects, but Halo Infinite takes place in 2560, two years after Halo 5 and Halo Wars 2 (if Halo Wars 2 takes place when you say it does)
>
> From what I have seen in Halo Wars 2, Captain Cutter and his crew woke up in the Year 2559 after being lost with all hands in 2531. It’s very possible Halo Infinite will pick up on the aftermath of both storylines.

I hope it does pick up off of both of those storylines, putting the banished into Infinite. I just hope it doesn’t pull a Doctor Who and rewrite every single piece of lore. I wrote this in another forum but I hope Cortana is one of the main villains, controlling the prometheans until halfway through when she’s defeated. I hope it takes Cortana out of the story using story and not the power of being able to take her out because they can, and pretend Halo 5 didn’t happen.

It’s been stated that Infinite will continue the continuity of Halo 5. Nothing is being erased.

> 2535425366565481;1:
> So I’ve just been wondering if Halo Infinite will completely erase Halo 5’s story from the lore. I doubt it because of the new book, Shadows of Reach, but what other parts of the lore would it affect? Some things I wonder about are:
> - Design of Elites and grunts - The villain of the story (Cortana, the flood, somebody else?) - Will it set off another arc in the Halo timeline?Just some of the things, I wanna know what people think about all this and more. Theories, confirmed news, opinions, anything.

It’s possible that the designs of Elites/Grunts in H4/5 could get re-conned to favour the classic designs but doubt the general story would be changed since retconning the story would make things more confusing in the long term…which would end up just as confusing as the 2 Reach books, the Reach game story that ret-conned some general stuff each other, major changes that conflicted with H2.

Things like Elite and Grunt designs don’t even need to be retconned. Enemy designs more or less change between each game, 4 was just the first time the developers mentioned different phenotypes. But really, 343 could design them however and not even bother to explain any new differences. Halo 5’s story isn’t being erased and as for Cortana, I’d imagine her threat either comes to an end or is lessened by the end of the game. We might get some background as to why she went evil in 5, but I don’t think it’ll matter much in the end.

> 2533274812652989;8:
> Things like Elite and Grunt designs don’t even need to be retconned. Enemy designs more or less change between each game

When a design is a bad design then yes certain designs do need to be retconned/removed when they don’t make any sense in the Halo universe plus the Halo 4,5 designs made the general games look worse due to the art style. It’s like trying to force a jigsaw puzzle with another Jigsaw despite it not fitting well with the overall design just for the sake of it. Story isn’t the main problem…it’s that 4,5 art style was completely out of place in the whole Halo universe. Not every art style should be forced for the sake of it.

> 2533274829873463;9:
> > 2533274812652989;8:
> > Things like Elite and Grunt designs don’t even need to be retconned. Enemy designs more or less change between each game
>
> When a design is a bad design then yes certain designs do need to be retconned/removed when they don’t make any sense in the Halo universe plus the Halo 4,5 designs made the general games look worse due to the art style. It’s like trying to force a jigsaw puzzle with another Jigsaw despite it not fitting well with the overall design just for the sake of it. Story isn’t the main problem…it’s that 4,5 art style was completely out of place in the whole Halo universe. Not every art style should be forced for the sake of it.

Or they could just move on with a different design and go from there. The problem with the “it doesn’t fit the universe” argument is that is so subjective. You still could completely identify what the species and weapons and vehicles and so on were. You can like or dislike certain aspects, but a retcon isn’t necessary. Again, past games offered different designs essentially with each game. This was seen major with the Brutes.

These designs can co-exist.

> 2533274812652989;10:
> > 2533274829873463;9:
> > > 2533274812652989;8:
> > > Things like Elite and Grunt designs don’t even need to be retconned. Enemy designs more or less change between each game
> >
> > When a design is a bad design then yes certain designs do need to be retconned/removed when they don’t make any sense in the Halo universe plus the Halo 4,5 designs made the general games look worse due to the art style. It’s like trying to force a jigsaw puzzle with another Jigsaw despite it not fitting well with the overall design just for the sake of it. Story isn’t the main problem…it’s that 4,5 art style was completely out of place in the whole Halo universe. Not every art style should be forced for the sake of it.
>
> Or they could just move on with a different design and go from there. The problem with the “it doesn’t fit the universe” argument is that is so subjective. You still could completely identify what the species and weapons and vehicles and so on were. You can like or dislike certain aspects, but a retcon isn’t necessary. Again, past games offered different designs essentially with each game. This was seen major with the Brutes.
>
> These designs can co-exist.

Designs tend to change all the time except there’s usually some consistency. The Elites in 4,5 looked nothing like anything from the Sangheili race, if it wasn’t for the weapons/vehicles they could have been easily mistaken for a completely different species. Heck the Grunts in 4/5 barely passed looking like grunts but that doesn’t mean they should stay there for the sake of it. I feel like this is more about quality control since the classic designs are great but the 4,5 Elites/Grunts need a massive overhaul to be believable since at the moment there bringing down the quality of the games.

Look at the Jackels for an example each improved and the Skirmishers were even created as a sub-species, yet they fit with what we know of the consistent design of the Jackels, yet the Elites in 4,5 do not match the pre-existing lore/designs in any way in previous Halo games.

They wouldn’t erase it. 343 Industries are like the crusaders of canonicity. They try to merge everything (even I Love Bees) into the franchise canon like it’s their sworn life duty so don’t worry about them erasing a thing from the Lore. I like that about them though since it makes the Halo universe more interesting. As for “another arc in the Halo Timeline,” this is likely still the UNSC trying to rebel against the Created if Halo Shadows of Reach touches on Blue Team trying to find a way stop her. As for designs of the other aliens, all designs we’ve seen in the past are canon but 343 can only stick to one design scheme per game to save on developmental timing. Most likely Cortana and the created and maybe an all new Covenant themed faction or the Banished (since I keep getting word and hints of them returning). I hope the flood return, Installation 07 has way too much history with the flood to not let them appear. One thing I like about 343 also is they merge the lore a little better than Bungie did who insisted on keeping the books and games seperate story bubbles. It’s a little easier to have a conversation with other players now since alot of them never picked up a Halo related book or comic in their life.

> 2533274870308953;12:
> They wouldn’t erase it. 343 Industries are like the crusaders of canonicity. They try to merge everything (even I Love Bees) into the franchise canon like it’s their sworn life duty so don’t worry about them erasing a thing from the Lore. I like that about them though since it makes the Halo universe more interesting. As for “another arc in the Halo Timeline,” this is likely still the UNSC trying to rebel against the Created if Halo Shadows of Reach touches on Blue Team trying to find a way stop her. As for designs of the other aliens, all designs we’ve seen in the past are canon but 343 can only stick to one design scheme per game to save on developmental timing. Most likely Cortana and the created and maybe an all new Covenant themed faction or the Banished (since I keep getting word and hints of them returning). I hope the flood return, Installation 07 has way too much history with the flood to not let them appear. One thing I like about 343 also is they merge the lore a little better than Bungie did who insisted on keeping the books and games seperate story bubbles. It’s a little easier to have a conversation with other players now since alot of them never picked up a Halo related book or comic in their life.

Thank you, this just about confirmed everything I hoped for. I love the Halo lore as a whole, no matter how bad one game was at portraying it, and I would hate for 343i to erase it. It’s good to get confirmation from another player that 343i is all about the lore and I probably should’ve thought about this before lmao, especially since Halo 5 was incomprehensible to anybody who wasn’t caught up to the lore.

> 2533274829873463;11:
> > 2533274812652989;10:
> > > 2533274829873463;9:
> > > > 2533274812652989;8:
> > > > Things like Elite and Grunt designs don’t even need to be retconned. Enemy designs more or less change between each game
> > >
> > > When a design is a bad design then yes certain designs do need to be retconned/removed when they don’t make any sense in the Halo universe plus the Halo 4,5 designs made the general games look worse due to the art style. It’s like trying to force a jigsaw puzzle with another Jigsaw despite it not fitting well with the overall design just for the sake of it. Story isn’t the main problem…it’s that 4,5 art style was completely out of place in the whole Halo universe. Not every art style should be forced for the sake of it.
> >
> > Or they could just move on with a different design and go from there. The problem with the “it doesn’t fit the universe” argument is that is so subjective. You still could completely identify what the species and weapons and vehicles and so on were. You can like or dislike certain aspects, but a retcon isn’t necessary. Again, past games offered different designs essentially with each game. This was seen major with the Brutes.
> >
> > These designs can co-exist.
>
> Designs tend to change all the time except there’s usually some consistency. The Elites in 4,5 looked nothing like anything from the Sangheili race, if it wasn’t for the weapons/vehicles they could have been easily mistaken for a completely different species. Heck the Grunts in 4/5 barely passed looking like grunts but that doesn’t mean they should stay there for the sake of it. I feel like this is more about quality control since the classic designs are great but the 4,5 Elites/Grunts need a massive overhaul to be believable since at the moment there bringing down the quality of the games.
>
> Look at the Jackels for an example each improved and the Skirmishers were even created as a sub-species, yet they fit with what we know of the consistent design of the Jackels, yet the Elites in 4,5 do not match the pre-existing lore/designs in any way in previous Halo games.

Gonna disagree with ya on the elites. They still look like elites, just bigger and less elegant. If elites in H1-3 were Humans, H4-5 were neanderthals (just without the intelligence drop)

> 2533274840624875;14:
> > 2533274829873463;11:
> > > 2533274812652989;10:
> > > > 2533274829873463;9:
> > > > > 2533274812652989;8:
> > > > > Things like Elite and Grunt designs don’t even need to be retconned. Enemy designs more or less change between each game
> > > >
> > > > When a design is a bad design then yes certain designs do need to be retconned/removed when they don’t make any sense in the Halo universe plus the Halo 4,5 designs made the general games look worse due to the art style. It’s like trying to force a jigsaw puzzle with another Jigsaw despite it not fitting well with the overall design just for the sake of it. Story isn’t the main problem…it’s that 4,5 art style was completely out of place in the whole Halo universe. Not every art style should be forced for the sake of it.
> > >
> > > Or they could just move on with a different design and go from there. The problem with the “it doesn’t fit the universe” argument is that is so subjective. You still could completely identify what the species and weapons and vehicles and so on were. You can like or dislike certain aspects, but a retcon isn’t necessary. Again, past games offered different designs essentially with each game. This was seen major with the Brutes.
> > >
> > > These designs can co-exist.
> >
> > Designs tend to change all the time except there’s usually some consistency. The Elites in 4,5 looked nothing like anything from the Sangheili race, if it wasn’t for the weapons/vehicles they could have been easily mistaken for a completely different species. Heck the Grunts in 4/5 barely passed looking like grunts but that doesn’t mean they should stay there for the sake of it. I feel like this is more about quality control since the classic designs are great but the 4,5 Elites/Grunts need a massive overhaul to be believable since at the moment there bringing down the quality of the games.
> >
> > Look at the Jackels for an example each improved and the Skirmishers were even created as a sub-species, yet they fit with what we know of the consistent design of the Jackels, yet the Elites in 4,5 do not match the pre-existing lore/designs in any way in previous Halo games.
>
> Gonna disagree with ya on the elites. They still look like elites, just bigger and less elegant. If elites in H1-3 were Humans, H4-5 were neanderthals (just without the intelligence drop)

Agree to disagree. If they hadn’t worn the armour I doubt many people would even class them as the same species but poor knock off attempts. Halo 4-5 elites were basically just Brutes with everything about their general tone, design and behaviour completely removed, with 4/5 lore it made it look like the entire species were wiped out then replaced by poor attempt at making impostors.

We will most likely see a direct sequel to Halo Infinite in future installments. I also think that we will see new characters appearing in future Halo video games especially Spartans and ODST Troopers. At the same time, I think we might see Forerunners and the Flood coming back in the Halo video games.

> 2535434101253033;16:
> We will most likely see a direct sequel to Halo Infinite in future installments. I also think that we will see new characters appearing in future Halo video games especially Spartans and ODST Troopers. At the same time, I think we might see the Flood and Forerunners coming back in the Halo video games.

I would absolutely adore the flood as an enemy again, but I’m not sure about forerunners. Sure, bring back sentinels and monitors. But I’m not sure about the promethean end of things. Maybe bring living forerunners to the game, but I doubt it, just because 343i helped develop the lore. The forerunners were wiped out by the Halo rings (besides the Didact, who was imprisoned in a big metal ball that somehow negated the effects of the Halo rings…?). But maybe they would find a way. As of the ODSTs, I desperately hope so. I want another ODST game made with the slipspace engine, maybe taking place in a mission from Halo Infinite, only tailing the Chief (but not actually coming across him in game). I would appreciate characters that are already established being put into the future Halo games but making the bland characters have personality and have them be explained in-game. Just some thoughts about what you said, those are great ideas btw.

> 2535425366565481;17:
> > 2535434101253033;16:
> > We will most likely see a direct sequel to Halo Infinite in future installments. I also think that we will see new characters appearing in future Halo video games especially Spartans and ODST Troopers. At the same time, I think we might see the Flood and Forerunners coming back in the Halo video games.
>
> I would absolutely adore the flood as an enemy again, but I’m not sure about forerunners. Sure, bring back sentinels and monitors. But I’m not sure about the promethean end of things. Maybe bring living forerunners to the game, but I doubt it, just because 343i helped develop the lore. The forerunners were wiped out by the Halo rings (besides the Didact, who was imprisoned in a big metal ball that somehow negated the effects of the Halo rings…?). But maybe they would find a way. As of the ODSTs, I desperately hope so. I want another ODST game made with the slipspace engine, maybe taking place in a mission from Halo Infinite, only tailing the Chief (but not actually coming across him in game). I would appreciate characters that are already established being put into the future Halo games but making the bland characters have personality and have them be explained in-game. Just some thoughts about what you said, those are great ideas btw.

Here’s another one I can see it happened in the Halo Franchise. It will be great to see 343 Industries bringing some of the cast from Game of Thrones and the Marvel Cinematic Universe to the Halo Universe especially the Halo spin off video games. I really want to see Chris Evans, Jon Bernthal, Charlie Cox, Chadwick Boseman and Jessica Henwick playing as ODST Troopers in the new Halo ODST video game. And, I also would love to see Rose Leslie and Kit Harrington playing as Spartans in the Halo spin off video games. At the same time, I want to see Brutes coming back in future Halo video games.

> 2535434101253033;18:
> > 2535425366565481;17:
> > > 2535434101253033;16:
> > > We will most likely see a direct sequel to Halo Infinite in future installments. I also think that we will see new characters appearing in future Halo video games especially Spartans and ODST Troopers. At the same time, I think we might see the Flood and Forerunners coming back in the Halo video games.
> >
> > I would absolutely adore the flood as an enemy again, but I’m not sure about forerunners. Sure, bring back sentinels and monitors. But I’m not sure about the promethean end of things. Maybe bring living forerunners to the game, but I doubt it, just because 343i helped develop the lore. The forerunners were wiped out by the Halo rings (besides the Didact, who was imprisoned in a big metal ball that somehow negated the effects of the Halo rings…?). But maybe they would find a way. As of the ODSTs, I desperately hope so. I want another ODST game made with the slipspace engine, maybe taking place in a mission from Halo Infinite, only tailing the Chief (but not actually coming across him in game). I would appreciate characters that are already established being put into the future Halo games but making the bland characters have personality and have them be explained in-game. Just some thoughts about what you said, those are great ideas btw.
>
> Here’s another one I can see it happened in the Halo Franchise. It will be great to see 343 Industries bringing some of the cast from Game of Thrones and the Marvel Cinematic Universe to the Halo Universe especially the Halo spin off video games. I really want to see Chris Evans, Jon Bernthal, Charlie Cox, Chadwick Boseman and Jessica Henwick playing as ODST Troopers in a new Halo ODST video game. And, I also would love to see Rose Leslie and Kit Harrington playing as Spartans in the Halo spin off video games.

This sounds fantastic! I feel like Spartans should have the strong, confident voices, the ODSTs would have strong but unsure voices with traces of pain in them, and marines would have extremely unsure voices. Just me adding on to your idea. I think the voice acting for Locke is spot on, but like I stated earlier, the game lacked his personality. I think Locke could have been a great character if he didn’t hog the spotlight and 343 put more time and energy into his character.

> 2533274829873463;15:
> > 2533274840624875;14:
> > > 2533274829873463;11:
> > > > 2533274812652989;10:
> > > > > 2533274829873463;9:
> > > > > > 2533274812652989;8:
> > > > > > Things like Elite and Grunt designs don’t even need to be retconned. Enemy designs more or less change between each game
> > > > >
> > > > > When a design is a bad design then yes certain designs do need to be retconned/removed when they don’t make any sense in the Halo universe plus the Halo 4,5 designs made the general games look worse due to the art style. It’s like trying to force a jigsaw puzzle with another Jigsaw despite it not fitting well with the overall design just for the sake of it. Story isn’t the main problem…it’s that 4,5 art style was completely out of place in the whole Halo universe. Not every art style should be forced for the sake of it.
> > > >
> > > > Or they could just move on with a different design and go from there. The problem with the “it doesn’t fit the universe” argument is that is so subjective. You still could completely identify what the species and weapons and vehicles and so on were. You can like or dislike certain aspects, but a retcon isn’t necessary. Again, past games offered different designs essentially with each game. This was seen major with the Brutes.
> > > >
> > > > These designs can co-exist.
> > >
> > > Designs tend to change all the time except there’s usually some consistency. The Elites in 4,5 looked nothing like anything from the Sangheili race, if it wasn’t for the weapons/vehicles they could have been easily mistaken for a completely different species. Heck the Grunts in 4/5 barely passed looking like grunts but that doesn’t mean they should stay there for the sake of it. I feel like this is more about quality control since the classic designs are great but the 4,5 Elites/Grunts need a massive overhaul to be believable since at the moment there bringing down the quality of the games.
> > >
> > > Look at the Jackels for an example each improved and the Skirmishers were even created as a sub-species, yet they fit with what we know of the consistent design of the Jackels, yet the Elites in 4,5 do not match the pre-existing lore/designs in any way in previous Halo games.
> >
> > Gonna disagree with ya on the elites. They still look like elites, just bigger and less elegant. If elites in H1-3 were Humans, H4-5 were neanderthals (just without the intelligence drop)
>
> Agree to disagree. If they hadn’t worn the armour I doubt many people would even class them as the same species but poor knock off attempts. Halo 4-5 elites were basically just Brutes with everything about their general tone, design and behaviour completely removed, with 4/5 lore it made it look like the entire species were wiped out then replaced by poor attempt at making impostors.

I do not disagree that their replacement of other elites who were the other phenotype was dumb and made no sense. That being said, they still looked like elites. The exact same look? No but still a type of elite (the armor is something I think looks less like elites than the design of the phenotype itself. Whether you like the look or not is irrelevant. Both though can exist at the same time and I honestly wish that’s the route they go even though it would essentially double the work needed.