Implementing AAs in a "new" way

Armor Abilities.

Undoubtedly the most controversial feature in the Halo Universe since Halo Reach.
Many players dislike how they were implemented causing them to leave Halo entirely.
The problem was that you could choose them in your loadout which caused a lot of randomness - a novelty to the arena-shooter franchise.

As many of you know the Regeneration Field (H4) as well as the Active Camo (H4/Reach) and the Drop Shield (Halo Reach) have been equipment/power up in Halo 3.
So why don’t we return to the equipment/power up system?

Movement Enhancing Abilities

• Thruster Pack, Evade, Jet Pack, Sprint

It’s quite difficult to transform them into equipment/power ups but in Halo 3 we were introduced to the Gravity Lift which has worked just fine and was really rewarding if used right since not only you but also other players could use it.
It’s obviously the replacement for the Jet Pack.
But what about Evade and Thruster Pack?
A little modification for the Gravity Lift could work well by turning the horizontal boost into a vertical boost. (Making it 2 different Grav Lifts.)+
As a replacement for Sprint we could just use the Speed Boost as a power up.

Protecting Abilities

• Drop Shield, Armor Lock, Hard Light Shield

The obvious replacement for these is the famous Bubble Shield.

Visual Manipulation Abilities

• Active Camouflage, Hologram, Promethean Vision

Active Camouflage is self-explanatory. (Return as power-up)
Hologram should be scrapped since there’s no real depth given by it.
Promethean Vision could return as a power-up giving you the ability of seeing through walls at infinite range for about 10sec (, if respawn timer returns)
It could also promote communication since it gets even more powerful by calling out opponents.

Damage and Regeneration Abilities

• Autosentry, Regeneration Field

Regeneration speaks for itself: Regenerator.
The Autosentry could be replaced by the Power Drain. I know it’s really powerful but you still need a bit skill especially if the next Halo game has friendly fire by default.

I think there have been 1000 threads dealing with the cons of Armor Abilities, so it doesn’t really seem to be necessary to list the pros for equipment.
But a big advantage is the predictability since they are placed at the same spot every time and there are only a few on map. I could go on forever but I think everybody supporting this idea knows the advantages and those who support AAs will probably dislike this idea…

The two best parts about map pickups:

1. Ability to be controlled. I can deny an advantage to my opponent by picking it up myself. They must be fought over, which gives the game more depth than just the objective.

2. Predictability. Map pickups can be limited in both type and number depending on the map, so at any given time, I can more feasibly predict what equipment my opponents may be using and plan accordingly.

> Armor Abilities.
>
> Undoubtedly the most controversial feature in the Halo Universe since Halo Reach.
> Many players dislike how they were implemented causing them to leave Halo entirely.
> The problem was that you could choose them in your loadout which caused a lot of randomness - a novelty to the arena-shooter franchise.
>
> As many of you know the Regeneration Field (H4) as well as the Active Camo (H4/Reach) and the Drop Shield (Halo Reach) have been equipment/power up in Halo 3.
> So why don’t we return to the equipment/power up system?
>
> Movement Enhancing Abilities
> - Thruster Pack, Evade, Jet Pack, Sprint
>
> It’s quite difficult to transform them into equipment/power ups but in Halo 3 we were introduced to the Gravity Lift which has worked just fine and was really rewarding if used right since not only you but also other players could use it.
> <mark>It’s obviously the replacement for the Jet Pack.</mark>
>
> I disagree, yes it should become a map pickup but… a permanent pick up like a weapon until death… too which it is either dropped, for the victor, or disappears… it also has a indicator gauge (AA symbol) that does NOT recharge, ie. fuel required to create the force for propulsion.
>
> <mark>But what about Evade and Thruster Pack?</mark>
> A little modification for the Gravity Lift could work well by turning the horizontal boost into a vertical boost. (Making it 2 different Grav Lifts.)+
> As a replacement for Sprint we could just use the Speed Boost as a power up.
>
> Those are definitely tricky… perhaps a quick side-step but not really needed as strafing, jumping and crouching are the main dodge mechanics.
>
>
> Protecting Abilities
> - Drop Shield, Armor Lock, Hard Light Shield
>
> <mark>The obvious replacement for these is the famous Bubble Shield.</mark>
>
> Totally agree. A map pickup, that has one use like the equipment in Halo 3.
>
> Visual Manipulation Abilities
> - Active Camouflage, Hologram, Promethean Vision
>
> Active Camouflage is self-explanatory. (Return as power-up)
>
> Agreed. But only as a power-up orb… or rather power-up enhancer (damage boost, speed boost, over shield)… not a permanent pickup. The active camouflage power-up does not get affected when moving like its armor ability counterpart.
>
> <mark>Hologram should be scrapped since there’s no real depth given by it.</mark>
>
> I disagree. The hologram can be really useful when used potentially on objective and small-based slayer matches. It supports team work and locates enemies due to a false target, plus it also creates a distraction for players to re-manoeuvre and flank in a firefight. The way this could be implemented is a permanent pick up, that has 3 charges, or hologram projections… to which it is deemed useless once it has ran out.
>
> <mark>Promethean Vision could return as a power-up</mark> giving you the ability of seeing through walls at infinite range for about 10sec (, if respawn timer returns)
> It could also promote communication since it gets even more powerful by calling out opponents.
>
> I Disagree. The Promethean Vision power-up would be limited in its spawn point… to which the opponents would know not to stay around it limiting the flow of battle and map. So a very difficult one to implement… but perhaps as a more ahem COD ahem (Washes mouth out with soap) term, a UAV… a power-up that is unique in which the UNSC Infinity… or rather the Voice Of God (WARGAMES Simulator)… locates all opponents for a few seconds, on your radar, even without movement… by constant refreshment and larger range. The power-up would end and the radar would return to normal.
>
> Damage and Regeneration Abilities
> - Autosentry, Regeneration Field
>
> <mark>Regeneration speaks for itself: Regenerator.</mark>
>
> Agreed. This is by far a great addition to the sandbox.
>
> <mark>The Autosentry could be replaced by the Power Drain.</mark> I know it’s really powerful but you still need a bit skill especially if the next Halo game has friendly fire by default.
>
> I Disagree. The autosentry armor ability seen in Halo 4, is nothing like the Power Drain, from Halo 3.
> The autosentry should be enhanced and capable of decent damage… a eighth of enemy shields… or perhaps more? It would be implemented by making it a permanent pick-up, to which is has only one charge… it will work like the auto turret in Halo 3’s campaign.
> The stun blast armor ability, seen in Halo: Spartan Assault, however should be replaced by the power drain… to which the power drain has the emp, area of effect, ability it had in Halo 3… as well as instead of mass drainage, to opponents shields, it only does minor damage (compare to Halo 3) which could be about half shields… over time, like the Pulse Grenade… and instead stun the enemies in a radius for a second or two (stun is something to think about)… So less damage taken but more team work usage.
>
> I think there have been 1000 threads dealing with the cons of Armor Abilities, so it doesn’t really seem to be necessary to list the pros for equipment.
> But a big advantage is the predictability since they are placed at the same spot every time and there are only a few on map. I could go on forever but I think everybody supporting this idea knows the advantages and those who support AAs will probably dislike this idea…

I congratulate you on this… I made some replacement suggestions that are more fitting. Each power-up enhancer and permanent pick-up have static, timed spawns just like the static, timed weapons.

How to HYBRID AA and Equipment made easy:

AA/Equipment become the same. The are only available as map pickup, but it is possible through game settings that you can spawn with them. This would benefit custom games and action sack.

The big difference now is, that not all equipment is single use, some can be multiuse. To balance them out. The Bubble Shield and Power Drainer would be single use, where Hologram and Thruster Pack would be mutiuse. Again, you can change how many times each ability/equipment can be used and also change the time before it can be re-used. This gives you great power.

Take the JP for example. In both REACH and H4 it is very overpowered, it destroys map control and map movement. But if this was a one time use, or it had 3 quick upwards burst like Thruster Pack. It would be much more balanced and require much more skill to use. And if say you encounter someone and you fired rockets at them, and the used the JP to escape and survive, and even if the then won the encounter. You wouldn’t feel cheated like you do in REACH and H4. You would go, well played.

That is why Equipment is much preferred. But if we have a hybrid of the two, we can’t really call them Equipment or AA, so we need a new name.

The only name I have thought of so far, and it is not very impressive is “UTILITIES”. So if you like my idea, which I have had much help from the community to improve it (Thank to SWIFT). And can think of a better name. Please tell.

IMO, at this current stage, i think this is the best approach. And most importantly, it returns Halo to an Arena Shooter by having “UTILITIES” placed on maps.