Implement Ranks already

Edited by Moderator - Please do not flame/attack others or make nonconstructive posts.

*Original post, click at your own discretion.

Jesus christ implement them already. How -Yoinking!- dense can a developer be? Especially one that develops -Yoinking!- Halo. THIS GAME SHOULD HAVE SHIPPED WITH A RANK SYSTEM IN PLACE. A visible one, not some -Yoink- that can only be seen online. -Yoink- you guys. You blow copious amounts of floppy donkey -Yoinks!-.

Well I’m sorry guys but I have to side with the OP.

Frank O’Connor says “very few people care about ranks”, when it’s simply not true. If I remember right the ranked playlists usually had a higher population than the social ones in Halo 3.

It really is common sense and something that shouldn’t have been removed to begin with.

> Well I’m sorry guys but I have to side with the OP.
>
> Frank O’Connor says “very few people care about ranks”, when it’s simply not true. If I remember right the ranked playlists usually had a higher population than the social ones in Halo 3.
>
> It really is common sense and something that shouldn’t have been removed to begin with.

Eh the constant bickering, being insulted, team killing, and lack of team work created from ranks that I’ve experienced has out weighed the usefulness of the ranking system, and can understand why it was left out, but that’s just my personal experience.

Rankings are coming OP, just chillax. Obviously it was a design shift so let’s have some patience, 343i is delivering on many ends such as competitive playlists, smaller maps, more custom game options, weapon balance and other things.

Well the thing is social playlists existed. If you didn’t want to listen to people bicker about ranks you could play those playlists, or just mute and file bad player reviews.

Sure, the ranking system could’ve used improvements. But leaving it out altogether isn’t ideal.

> Rankings are coming OP, just chillax.

Well part of the fun for people was being able to show off and display their rank. Hard to do that if its on waypoint.

By that I mean display with pride, not put down other people over it.

> If I remember right the ranked playlists usually had a higher population than the social ones in Halo 3.

Solcial slayer had the highest of all the playlists atlast in the time I played

Prepare for the banhammer.

>

It’s posts like these that spur 343i to hasten the implementation of skill ranks, visible or not. Someone “asking” me in this manner always gets my priority effort. /sarcasm

> Well the thing is social playlists existed. If you didn’t want to listen to people bicker about ranks you could play those playlists, or just mute and file bad player reviews.

But then you have people like me, who want to play to win, but rather not be flamed for what ever their CSR is.

> Sure, the ranking system could’ve used improvements. But leaving it out altogether isn’t ideal.

I think the only people who really have it down are Blizzard. They need to just sell it out to every company :confused: Would make competitive gaming as a whole much better.

> Rankings are coming OP, just chillax.

Well part of the fun for people was being able to show off and display their rank. Hard to do that if its on waypoint.

> By that I mean display with pride, not put down other people over it.

And unfortunately they still will do that :frowning:

> Eh the constant bickering, being insulted, team killing, and lack of team work created from ranks that I’ve experienced has out weighed the usefulness of the ranking system, and can understand why it was left out, but that’s just my personal experience.
>
> Rankings are coming OP, just chillax. Obviously it was a design shift so let’s have some patience, 343i is delivering on many ends such as competitive playlists, smaller maps, more custom game options, weapon balance and other things.

Are we really going to keep a system that many people care about because some people are insulted over Xbox Live? Sorry to say, but that’s what you get when you play online. Go play CoD and you’ll be insulted just as much - it’s what happens online. Besides, at this point, next to no one uses their mics.

Delivering? Their competitive playlist is averaging roughly 1200 players at a good time. They have released two new small maps, which haven’t been put into general matchmaking yet and have yet to be seen how they work there. More Custom Game Options? They haven’t updated that at all yet, the only answer given is “We’re looking into it” (They also looked into Campaign Theatre, look how that turned out).

Boltshot is the only weapon balanced in the TU.

Please calm yourself before entering conversations.

> Are we really going to keep a system that many people care about because some people are insulted over Xbox Live? Sorry to say, but that’s what you get when you play online. Go play CoD and you’ll be insulted just as much - it’s what happens online. Besides, at this point, next to no one uses their mics.

That’s not the point I’m making here. Inherently the benefits from adding a ranking system were not as much as excluding it. 343i and many other companies wish to deliver a fun and fair online experience. Many people, not just myself had their experiences ruined because of a few players whose egos were too big.

Not to mention the deranking, the buying and selling of accounts and boosters were all took away from the online experience. It’s not about having tough skin, it’s about making an enjoyable product.

> Delivering? Their competitive playlist is averaging roughly 1200 players at a good time. They have released two new small maps, which haven’t been put into general matchmaking yet and have yet to be seen how they work there. More Custom Game Options? They haven’t updated that at all yet, the only answer given is “We’re looking into it” (They also looked into Campaign Theatre, look how that turned out).
> Boltshot is the only weapon balanced in the TU.

Competitive communities are always smaller than causal ones. Halo 4 is no different. They’ve released a total of 5 new maps 2 forge created, and the majestic map pack all of which play very small. They recently added the ability to turn on spawn timers the first of which many of us hope to be more changes for customs. With balancing you take small steps, not giant leaps. That leaves you with a messier game then what you’ve started with.

So yes. 343i is working very had and has kept majority of their promises since release.

> Please calm yourself before entering conversations.

I’m not angry - I’m just tired of going through these same arguments with neither side giving.

> That’s not the point I’m making here. Inherently the benefits from adding a ranking system were not as much as excluding it. 343i and many other companies wish to deliver a fun and fair online experience. Many people, not just myself had their experiences ruined because of a few players whose egos were too big.

Fun and fair online experience? Looking at the numbers, a good chunk of people don’t see this game as fun. But, we’ve beat that horse into the ground, so I’m not going there.

Just as many people enjoy ranks and enjoy sporting them for others to see, and don’t feel the need to put others down. Why punish them with not being able to do so?

> Not to mention the deranking, the buying and selling of accounts and boosters were all took away from the online experience. It’s not about having tough skin, it’s about making an enjoyable product.

Again - these people are the minority who abuse the system. Many people did not do this, but we’re going to punish them because idiots feel the need to derank? Many people would find this product enjoyable, or more so, with ranks.

> Competitive communities are always smaller than causal ones. Halo 4 is no different. They’ve released a total of 5 new maps 2 forge created, and the majestic map pack all of which play very small. They recently added the ability to turn on spawn timers the first of which many of us hope to be more changes for customs. With balancing you take small steps, not giant leaps. That leaves you with a messier game then what you’ve started with.

The Competitive Playlist began with having a good 7k players - we’re down to near 1k. What does that say?

Ignoring the Forge Maps (Because they’ve been in MM for a while now, and Settler has been on disc since launch), Landfall plays more medium, and doesn’t fit the idea of “Small”. It’s similar to how, in Mythic 2 for Halo 3, you had Citadel and Heretic (Both Small Maps), and then Longshore.

Yes, they have given you spawn timers (Should have been around for launch). But, the thing is, it has taken five months to get that one detail.

I have no doubt that 343 is trying, but the fact is, they aren’t prioritizing the necessities for this game. That first month should have been full of updates with things that we were missing. Instead, we focused on the Infinity Challenge and a Truck that only one person gets. Now, five months later, we’re still addressing basic issues that shouldn’t be getting addressed at this point.

> I’m not angry - I’m just tired of going through these same arguments with neither side giving.

You came off as incredibly angry, and frustrated. My mistake.

> Fun and fair online experience? Looking at the numbers, a good chunk of people don’t see this game as fun. But, we’ve beat that horse into the ground, so I’m not going there.
>
> Just as many people enjoy ranks and enjoy sporting them for others to see, and don’t feel the need to put others down. Why punish them with not being able to do so?

Fun is a subjective term, but what 343i has done, or is attempting to do is cut off any possibility of these negative things impacting the game. Abstinence is the most effective way to solve a problem with a system. Maybe not the best, the most effective by far. Minority or not they were still a plague on the community. I personally ran into one of these each time I played online, not every round but during each extend amount of play I’d run into them until I simply decided to stick to custom games.

I’m not going to argue population, because you like many other people seem to only look at peak population, which time and time again has been proven faulty.

> The Competitive Playlist began with having a good 7k players - we’re down to near 1k. What does that say?

That people went “Ooo new shiny thing! Let’s play it!” Okay I’m bored. The same way new games get hype and then people leave shortly after.

> Ignoring the Forge Maps (Because they’ve been in MM for a while now, and Settler has been on disc since launch), Landfall plays more medium, and doesn’t fit the idea of “Small”. It’s similar to how, in Mythic 2 for Halo 3, you had Citadel and Heretic (Both Small Maps), and then Longshore.

So ignore part of the equation and solution to the problem 343i addressed…

Landfall does play very small to me because of the way weapons spawn and movement is forced. If anything feels like a medium map to me it’s monolith. But again these are both of our opinions, not facts.

> Yes, they have given you spawn timers (Should have been around for launch). But, the thing is, it has taken five months to get that one detail.

So they are working on it and your previous statement about them doing nothing is now falsified. Five months to get a detail such as adding it to a UI, making sure it functions properly in easily over a 1000 different scenarios and environments and having to go through Microsoft certification. Seems like a fair amount of time to me. Maybe it’s because I’ve worked on indie games that I understand how long it must take to do something like fix spawn timers, but I can bet you it was no easy feat.

And yes it should have been in at launch.

> Instead, we focused on the Infinity Challenge and a Truck that only one person gets. Now, five months later, we’re still addressing basic issues that shouldn’t be getting addressed at this point.

I don’t believe you understand how game development works. One of the worst things you can do when a game is launched is make knee-jerking changes. It costs money and time, usually both of which have been used up at the game’s launch, and must wait for it’s sales numbers to come in before requesting for additional funding. If you say LOL microsoft wrote a blank check, you’d be implying that Mr. Gate’s company is foolish with their money, which I can assure you they are not.

After the game has proven itself on the market and the game has received additional funding, they can continue development. I would assume it’s good project management to have an assumed schedule before the game is even released (IE DLC and the Infinity challenge).

Carefully looking at what needs to be changed, and prioritizing it is key, but doing so in a manner in which does not destroy the already delicate balance the game hangs in is even more important. Also Microsoft Certification is crazy to go through, as TUs change what is written on your hard drive and not what’s on the severs.

> Well I’m sorry guys but I have to side with the OP.
>
> Frank O’Connor says “very few people care about ranks”, when it’s simply not true. If I remember right the ranked playlists usually had a higher population than the social ones in Halo 3.
>
> It really is common sense and something that shouldn’t have been removed to begin with.

Lol, Frank O’Connor was also the same guy who said button combo’s in Halo 2 such as BXR and double shot was cheating. Ahaha what a joke.

> > Well I’m sorry guys but I have to side with the OP.
> >
> > Frank O’Connor says “very few people care about ranks”, when it’s simply not true. If I remember right the ranked playlists usually had a higher population than the social ones in Halo 3.
> >
> > It really is common sense and something that shouldn’t have been removed to begin with.
>
> Lol, Frank O’Connor was also the same guy who said button combo’s in Halo 2 such as BXR and double shot was cheating. Ahaha what a joke.

Because it was according to the xbox live terms of service. Bugs in a game like that are not intended to exist. Fixing it and all of the related bugs would have likely broken halo 2, so it didn’t happen. MLG was its own entity and could choose to utilize these bugs as it pleased, but honestly the average player would not be aware of these bugs, and therefore it is an unfair advantage to use them.

On topic though, it is my understanding that the system is working in the background to track stats and other information before making it visible/resetting it and then making it visible after tweaking it. They just want a functioning system that they won’t have to work on a la halo 2, where everyone had to have ranks reset.

Be glad that they’re even giving you ranks at all.

IMO, fans like you dont deserve free handouts like this.

Hey I want you to have your ranks and all, but can I get my visible stats and rank turned off. I don’t want to worry about them, I just want to grab a gun and play without a baseball card being stuck to my back.

Whats in the past is in the past. All that people in this forum get out of ranting about the game not shipping with ranks over and over again is a bunch of people sitting at their computers, shaking their heads at the fact that there are actually grown people out there that will make a huge deal about it. 343 has already said they are working on a ranking system. As of right now its not going to be in game. I won’t say it will never be in game, but I guarantee that all the people who want to hate on 343 as much as they can about it are NOT helping the chances of it happening.