I'm worried about the Halo Community and 343

I’ll get straight to the point. This isn’t a forum that I’m making with an angry intent whatsoever. I’m simply worried. We know there has been little to no news on Infinite, and we recently have been shown the concept of “armor coatings.”

From what I’ve heard, it sounds like we won’t be able to customize the appearance of the coating at all. Sure, we might be given a plentiful amount of armor coatings to choose from, but we will not be able to do something as simple as changing the basic colors of the armor. Changing armor colors has been in Halo ever since Halo 2, which released in 2004.

What I’m getting at, is that the general reaction to this coating feature is negative. I can’t blame people for feeling the way they do. Halo Infinite is the next big Halo game. It’s the Halo game that has made history, 5 years to release instead of the usual 3 years. If 343 were able to some how stick to the usual 3 year development cycle Bungie originally stuck to with their Halo titles, we would have gotten this game in 2018, and Halo 7 would release 2021. The news as simple as changing armor color shouldn’t get people upset, but it somehow does. We’ve gotten to a point where Halo fans are concerned about armor colors. This isn’t something that should happen. With the little to no news on Halo Infinite, and the fact that it has gotten delayed multiple times, I’m worried about 343. I’m worried about the future of this series. Is the traditional Halo multiplayer still going to be there? Are we going to have Slayer, CTF, KOTH, Infection, Forge, Oddball? Or is there going to be a big battle royal mode that replaces those modes? I feel like 343 is trying to make an entirely new game to appeal to the masses instead of the Halo fans that have been there since the original Bungie trilogy. Why would they remove things that no one asked to remove? I’m worried that this game will further split the community further than it already has been.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not calling 343 a bad company. I think they have and been doing some great and amazing things with Halo, especially with the continuous updates to the Master Chief Collection. I can’t thank them enough for trying to go back and fix the issues with the game, and adding new stuff on top of the old stuff (new visors and weapon skins.) I’m still very, very excited, and I am looking forward to the campaign for Halo Infinite. I think it’s going to be great.

> 2533274974350131;1:
> I’ll get straight to the point. This isn’t a forum that I’m making with an angry intent whatsoever. I’m simply worried. We know there has been little to no news on Infinite, and we recently have been shown the concept of “armor coatings.”
>
> From what I’ve heard, it sounds like we won’t be able to customize the appearance of the coating at all. Sure, we might be given a plentiful amount of armor coatings to choose from, but we will not be able to do something as simple as changing the basic colors of the armor. Changing armor colors has been in Halo ever since Halo 2, which released in 2004.
>
> What I’m getting at, is that the general reaction to this coating feature is negative. I can’t blame people for feeling the way they do. Halo Infinite is the next big Halo game. It’s the Halo game that has made history, 5 years to release instead of the usual 3 years. If 343 were able to some how stick to the usual 3 year development cycle Bungie originally stuck to with their Halo titles, we would have gotten this game in 2018, and Halo 7 would release 2021. The news as simple as changing armor color shouldn’t get people upset, but it somehow does. We’ve gotten to a point where Halo fans are concerned about armor colors. This isn’t something that should happen. With the little to no news on Halo Infinite, and the fact that it has gotten delayed multiple times, I’m worried about 343. I’m worried about the future of this series. Is the traditional Halo multiplayer still going to be there? Are we going to have Slayer, CTF, KOTH, Infection, Forge, Oddball? Or is there going to be a big battle royal mode that replaces those modes? I feel like 343 is trying to make an entirely new game to appeal to the masses instead of the Halo fans that have been there since the original Bungie trilogy. Why would they remove things that no one asked to remove? I’m worried that this game will further split the community further than it already has been.
>
> Don’t get me wrong, I’m not calling 343 a bad company. I think they have and been doing some great and amazing things with Halo, especially with the continuous updates to the Master Chief Collection. I can’t thank them enough for trying to go back and fix the issues with the game, and adding new stuff on top of the old stuff (new visors and weapon skins.) I’m still very, very excited, and I am looking forward to the campaign for Halo Infinite. I think it’s going to be great.

Spot on. I’m concerned about the future of the franchise. I know the games will be great but will they please the masses?

<mark>This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not repost content a moderator has removed, repost a topic that has been locked, or post about forum moderation decisions. If you have a question or concern about a forum moderation decision, please private message the applicable moderator.</mark>
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

Very valid points OP. But be ready for this thread to get locked by mods because ThErE iS aLrEaDy A eXiStnG tHrEaD and doing damage control.

I don’t understand why we can’t have coatings and basic color choices.

> 2533274974350131;1:
> I feel like 343 is trying to make an entirely new game to appeal to the masses instead of the Halo fans that have been there since the original Bungie trilogy.

We’ll, uh, yeah.
That’s kind of the point. I’m not trying to defend anyone or anything, it’s just that this isn’t an “I feel like” thing, it’s just kind of obvious.

Halo has been on the back leg of AAA FPSs for a while now.
It’s a hard game for new players to get into because it utilises dated arena mechanics and each game is similar enough that masters of the game stay really good. So they need to change everything.
But it is an “iconic” game. Everything is sacred and everything is under constant scrutiny. If there is any substantial change to the gameplay then “it is not Halo”.

I agree that the armour coating is blatant capitalism, but I do sympathise with 343. It must be really awful trying to find out how exactly to make a better Halo game; and we can hate and scrutinise and investigate every little detail of Infinite as it is revealed, but we won’t know if they have done the best thing until it’s done. I don’t see the point in protesting the game which is clearly the make or break for the franchise. They either are going to do it right, or fail.

If you can bother to be constructive you can use the existing thread.