I'm still concerned about Movement Speed on PC

I keep watching gameplay of Infinite and it looks so slow to me, especially for an Arena type game. I’m concerned about it not being fast enough to succeed on PC. I felt this way during the flight and haven’t watched much until today. The release of the new map “Streets” sparked my interest.

It’s a great looking game and no matter what I’m going to give it a try on release. How can you not? Multiplayer is going to be free!

I’m sure the closer it gets to release, the more we’ll hear about any tweaks from the last flight. I just have my fingers crossed hoping that they will buff sprint or something. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that I’m going to get bored pretty quick if the game plays too slow.

I understand the difference between movement speed and game-pace by the way, so please spare me the lecture :slight_smile:

are you kidding? have you played any flight? it’s legit the perfect speed right now, at least when i played on PC.

I played all flights (also on PC with both: MnK and Controller) and the movement speed felt really good, in Arena and also in BTB.

TBH the strafe speed felt a little bit too fast, gunfights in wich the involved players used extensively the A-D spam (on controller left stick spam) felt a little bit too hectic, compared to Halo 3 and Halo Reach.

But the general movement speed and the sprint speed was really good and not slow at all.

Might just be you.

> 2535440453262203;2:
> are you kidding? have you played any flight? it’s legit the perfect speed right now, at least when i played on PC.

No, that’s why I made the post. I didn’t realize you can have the wrong opinion.

I’m on PC playing with MnK and it felt pretty slow in the flight.

I mean, if it’s the feeling of slowness you dislike, you could try increasing the field of view. Halo 3 is notorious for feeling slower than every other Halo, but when 343 eventually added a FOV slider to MCC, many found that the one issue that plagued their experience could now be resolved.

Infinite is launching with a FOV slider, so if you’re feeling slow, that, to me, is an easy solution.

> 2535449076192416;6:
> I mean, if it’s the feeling of slowness you dislike, you could try increasing the field of view. Halo 3 is notorious for feeling slower than every other Halo, but when 343 eventually added a FOV slider to MCC, many found that the one issue that plagued their experience could now be resolved.
>
> Infinite is launching with a FOV slider, so if you’re feeling slow, that, to me, is an easy solution.

It’s not the FOV. It doesn’t change the speed, just the perception of it.

I play shooters pretty much exclusively and settings are the first thing I set up.

> 2533274849093370;7:
> > 2535449076192416;6:
> > I mean, if it’s the feeling of slowness you dislike, you could try increasing the field of view. Halo 3 is notorious for feeling slower than every other Halo, but when 343 eventually added a FOV slider to MCC, many found that the one issue that plagued their experience could now be resolved.
> >
> > Infinite is launching with a FOV slider, so if you’re feeling slow, that, to me, is an easy solution.
>
> It’s not the FOV. It doesn’t change the speed, just the perception of it.
>
> I play shooters pretty much exclusively and settings are the first thing I set up.

I understand FOV doesn’t change speed, but you claim your issue is that the movement “looks slow” to you. Why would the ability to make the game “look” faster not be enough?

Help me understand your problem.

> 2533274849093370;7:
> > 2535449076192416;6:
> > I mean, if it’s the feeling of slowness you dislike, you could try increasing the field of view. Halo 3 is notorious for feeling slower than every other Halo, but when 343 eventually added a FOV slider to MCC, many found that the one issue that plagued their experience could now be resolved.
> >
> > Infinite is launching with a FOV slider, so if you’re feeling slow, that, to me, is an easy solution.
>
> It’s not the FOV. It doesn’t change the speed, just the perception of it.
>
> I play shooters pretty much exclusively and settings are the first thing I set up.

I think compared to any other Halo game the movement speed is definitely one of the fastest we have ever had in regards to base walking speed. Sprint is a bit slower than Halo 5 for sure but I think the intention there is that you’re not supposed to sprint everywhere. The pace and movement of Infinite is definitely slower than something like COD or Battlefield so that’s definitely something to get used to. Overall I would consider Halo one of the slower FPSes out there which is how I prefer my Halo personally but it’s not everyone’s cup of tea. Also in the last flight they did acknowledge there were issues with input latency and performance which may have also impacted your feeling about the game being slow or not feeling responsive/snappy enough. The last thing I will say is the gameplay that IGN put up today of the new map definitely don’t reflect at all how much or how fast you can move in Infinite.

All in all, I think that Halo has always felt a little slower than other shooters out there so if you are comparing it to something like Call of Duty or Apex or Battlefield, then yes Halo is a bit slower in movement than those games can be. I’m not sure of your personal experience with other Halo games, but if you feel that it is slower than past Halo games then that could have been due to some performance issues in the tech test.

> 2533274866022405;9:
> > 2533274849093370;7:
> > > 2535449076192416;6:
> > > I mean, if it’s the feeling of slowness you dislike, you could try increasing the field of view. Halo 3 is notorious for feeling slower than every other Halo, but when 343 eventually added a FOV slider to MCC, many found that the one issue that plagued their experience could now be resolved.
> > >
> > > Infinite is launching with a FOV slider, so if you’re feeling slow, that, to me, is an easy solution.
> >
> > It’s not the FOV. It doesn’t change the speed, just the perception of it.
> >
> > I play shooters pretty much exclusively and settings are the first thing I set up.
>
> I think compared to any other Halo game the movement speed is definitely one of the fastest we have ever had in regards to base walking speed. Sprint is a bit slower than Halo 5 for sure but I think the intention there is that you’re not supposed to sprint everywhere. The pace and movement of Infinite is definitely slower than something like COD or Battlefield so that’s definitely something to get used to. Overall I would consider Halo one of the slower FPSes out there which is how I prefer my Halo personally but it’s not everyone’s cup of tea. Also in the last flight they did acknowledge there were issues with input latency and performance which may have also impacted your feeling about the game being slow or not feeling responsive/snappy enough. The last thing I will say is the gameplay that IGN put up today of the new map definitely don’t reflect at all how much or how fast you can move in Infinite.
>
> All in all, I think that Halo has always felt a little slower than other shooters out there so if you are comparing it to something like Call of Duty or Apex or Battlefield, then yes Halo is a bit slower in movement than those games can be. I’m not sure of your personal experience with other Halo games, but if you feel that it is slower than past Halo games then that could have been due to some performance issues in the tech test.

The guy playing on the new map wasn’t very good lol.

I mostly play games like Apex and Battlefield and compared to those, yeah it felt a bit slower. There’s a couple reasons I think for this.

  1. Strafe movement is quick, I’ll agree on that. It’s still not a very twitchy game though. In BF or Apex you can AD strafe while crouching and it can be quite effective. In Infinite I don’t think that will do anything.

  2. I feel like Sprint needs to have a bigger gap between the base movement. It’s pretty hard to tell in the beginning of the animation if you’re actually moving faster. Some of the issues in the flight like you were saying with input lag might be playing a role in that. The other thing that I don’t like about Sprint being so slow is that it’s an “option”. You don’t need to sprint if you don’t want to. For something so fundamental for movement seems like they’re trying to just please everyone. Sprint is in the game, but you can choose to use it or not. That seems silly to me.

  3. Jumping is floaty. Which is fitting for the game, but it’s another thing that makes the game overall slower than most other games.

Halo is definitely a slower style shooter and that’s probably one of the biggest reasons why it hasn’t done that great on PC. The MCC sold well and there’s a decent amount of people playing daily on Steam, but I think part of that is because nostalgia.

I want this game to be for me, but in the end it might not be. These forums are a bit of an echo chamber, and get why. It’s a franchise most of you have probably been playing for a long time. I grew up playing Halo too, but haven’t touched a console in about a decade now and can’t stand playing a shooter with a controller. My opinion is probably more common than you might think outside of forums though.

The idea the shooters that need fast base movement on pc to be successful is just factually not true. Some of the most popular shooters on the platform are far slower than halo when it comes to movement speed (pubg, tarkov, csgo, valorant, fortnite, rs:s, and more). Furthermore, titanfall which is among the fastest games when it comes to movement is completely dead and didn’t ever have that strong a following.

Repeat after me. A shooter on pc will not fail Just BECAUSE of slower perceived movement mechanics.

I’ve been maining pc (mnk) for about 15 years now and the flights felt great from a movement perspective. Unfortunately the recent ign play through videos were played by someone who looks like they just picked up a controller for the first time in their life.

Also… I’m just going to go ahead and say that you are being a bit self contradictory here. The movement speed isn’t the fastest but the gameplay is. Halo never was nor will be a twitch movement shooter but there are a ton of high speed decisions being made between and during every combat encounter.

> Unfortunately, I have a feeling that I’m going to get bored pretty quick if the game plays too slow.I understand the difference between movement speed and game-pace"

> 2631120853748872;11:
> The idea the shooters that need fast base movement on pc to be successful is just factually not true. Some of the most popular shooters on the platform are far slower than halo when it comes to movement speed (pubg, tarkov, csgo, valorant, fortnite, rs:s, and more). Furthermore, titanfall which is among the fastest games when it comes to movement is completely dead and didn’t ever have that strong a following.
>
> Repeat after me. A shooter on pc will not fail Just BECAUSE of slower perceived movement mechanics.
>
> I’ve been maining pc (mnk) for about 15 years now and the flights felt great from a movement perspective. Unfortunately the recent ign play through videos were played by someone who looks like they just picked up a controller for the first time in their life.
>
> Also… I’m just going to go ahead and say that you are being a bit self contradictory here. The movement speed isn’t the fastest but the gameplay is. Halo never was nor will be a twitch movement shooter but there are a ton of high speed decisions being made between and during every combat encounter.
>
>
> > Unfortunately, I have a feeling that I’m going to get bored pretty quick if the game plays too slow.I understand the difference between movement speed and game-pace"

You again… those aren’t Arena shooters. Those are almost all tactical heavy shooters. It’s about team play and decision making in those games.

How is saying movement isn’t fast, but overall gameplay is contradicting? Small maps with slow movement can have relatively fast gameplay. Big maps with fast movement can have quite slow gameplay. It’s not contradictory at all and as I said in the first post save me the lecture. You’re not contributing at all.

I have an opinion and I used the forums to voice that.

We’ll see how well Infinite does soon. I could be wrong, and I’m more than okay with that. Hopefully I am. I want to see games succeed.

> > The idea the shooters that need fast base movement on pc to be successful is just factually not true. Some of the most popular shooters on the platform are far slower than halo when it comes to movement speed (pubg, tarkov, csgo, valorant, fortnite, rs:s, and more). Furthermore, titanfall which is among the fastest games when it comes to movement is completely dead and didn’t ever have that strong a following.
> >
> > Repeat after me. A shooter on pc will not fail Just BECAUSE of slower perceived movement mechanics.
> >
> > I’ve been maining pc (mnk) for about 15 years now and the flights felt great from a movement perspective. Unfortunately the recent ign play through videos were played by someone who looks like they just picked up a controller for the first time in their life.
> >
> > Also… I’m just going to go ahead and say that you are being a bit self contradictory here. The movement speed isn’t the fastest but the gameplay is. Halo never was nor will be a twitch movement shooter but there are a ton of high speed decisions being made between and during every combat encounter.
> >
> >
> > > Unfortunately, I have a feeling that I’m going to get bored pretty quick if the game plays too slow.I understand the difference between movement speed and game-pace"
>
> You again… those aren’t Arena shooters. Those are almost all tactical heavy shooters. It’s about team play and decision making in those games.
>
> How is saying movement isn’t fast, but overall gameplay is contradicting? Small maps with slow movement can have relatively fast gameplay. Big maps with fast movement can have quite slow gameplay. It’s not contradictory at all and as I said in the first post save me the lecture. You’re not contributing at all.
>
> I have an opinion and I used the forums to voice that.
>
> We’ll see how well Infinite does soon. I could be wrong, and I’m more than okay with that. Hopefully I am. I want to see games succeed.

You keep saying the movement is slow then saying you are worried the game will play too slow. Those are 2 separate things. You say you understand that but your post says otherwise. If someone disagreeing with you automatically doesn’t add to the convo and you don’t want to hear it then why would you post on a public forum?

This isn’t a lecture.you have a personal opinion and used that to make claim of a factual outcome “it’s too slow for pc IMO, it won’t succeed”. You are more than entitled to your opinion but the conclusion you are drawing is completely unfounded. All you have to do is look at titanfall to prove it to yourself. What I’m adding to the discussion is that your conclusion based on your personal preference is unfounded and I’m explaining why. The shooters I’ve listed are all spread across different subgenres. They aren’t all "non-arena tactical heavy shooters,they are a diverse set. You can add a few more to the list. Tf2, overwatch, Quake, Unreal Tournament.

Oops! Quake and unreal have fast movement speed. Wait… Those are 2 fast paced arena shooters that are currently… Dead. They are dead. The point is, there are more than enough counter points to prove your point wrong.

I want HI to succeed too. The initial response shows that it will. My opinion is that they’ve struck the right balance in movement speed and mechanics. It’s entirely possible it fades into obscurity in 6 months (I doubt it but it’s possible). However, it won’t be because of the movement speed.

To expand a bit, some reasons HI could bleed population:

  • it doesn’t get it’s community generated content engine up and running quick enough (I. E. The release of and wide adoption of forge by the player base)
  • the majority of the population gets frustrated with progression (personally I’ve never cared about progression so I don’t have any real idea about this one)
  • somehow (despite excellent flights) the online services take a dump at release similar to MCC
  • 343 neglects the community (this seems really unlikely)
  • very little content (few maps, modes, playlists) at launch and for a large window after release. We’ll find out over the next few weeks if this will be true.
  • overwhelming number of cheaters

> 2631120853748872;13:
> > > The idea the shooters that need fast base movement on pc to be successful is just factually not true. Some of the most popular shooters on the platform are far slower than halo when it comes to movement speed (pubg, tarkov, csgo, valorant, fortnite, rs:s, and more). Furthermore, titanfall which is among the fastest games when it comes to movement is completely dead and didn’t ever have that strong a following.
> > >
> > > Repeat after me. A shooter on pc will not fail Just BECAUSE of slower perceived movement mechanics.
> > >
> > > I’ve been maining pc (mnk) for about 15 years now and the flights felt great from a movement perspective. Unfortunately the recent ign play through videos were played by someone who looks like they just picked up a controller for the first time in their life.
> > >
> > > Also… I’m just going to go ahead and say that you are being a bit self contradictory here. The movement speed isn’t the fastest but the gameplay is. Halo never was nor will be a twitch movement shooter but there are a ton of high speed decisions being made between and during every combat encounter.
> > >
> > >
> > > > Unfortunately, I have a feeling that I’m going to get bored pretty quick if the game plays too slow.I understand the difference between movement speed and game-pace"
> >
> > You again… those aren’t Arena shooters. Those are almost all tactical heavy shooters. It’s about team play and decision making in those games.
> >
> > How is saying movement isn’t fast, but overall gameplay is contradicting? Small maps with slow movement can have relatively fast gameplay. Big maps with fast movement can have quite slow gameplay. It’s not contradictory at all and as I said in the first post save me the lecture. You’re not contributing at all.
> >
> > I have an opinion and I used the forums to voice that.
> >
> > We’ll see how well Infinite does soon. I could be wrong, and I’m more than okay with that. Hopefully I am. I want to see games succeed.
>
> You keep saying the movement is slow then saying you are worried the game will play too slow. Those are 2 separate things. You say you understand that but your post says otherwise. If someone disagreeing with you automatically doesn’t add to the convo and you don’t want to hear it then why would you post on a public forum?
>
> This isn’t a lecture.you have a personal opinion and used that to make claim of a factual outcome “it’s too slow for pc IMO, it won’t succeed”. You are more than entitled to your opinion but the conclusion you are drawing is completely unfounded. All you have to do is look at titanfall to prove it to yourself. What I’m adding to the discussion is that your conclusion based on your personal preference is unfounded and I’m explaining why. The shooters I’ve listed are all spread across different subgenres. They aren’t all "non-arena tactical heavy shooters,they are a diverse set. You can add a few more to the list. Tf2, overwatch, Quake, Unreal Tournament.
>
> Oops! Quake and unreal have fast movement speed. Wait… Those are 2 fast paced arena shooters that are currently… Dead. They are dead. The point is, there are more than enough counter points to prove your point wrong.
>
> I want HI to succeed too. The initial response shows that it will. My opinion is that they’ve struck the right balance in movement speed and mechanics. It’s entirely possible it fades into obscurity in 6 months (I doubt it but it’s possible). However, it won’t be because of the movement speed.
>
> To expand a bit, some reasons HI could bleed population:
> - it doesn’t get it’s community generated content engine up and running quick enough (I. E. The release of and wide adoption of forge by the player base)
> - the majority of the population gets frustrated with progression (personally I’ve never cared about progression so I don’t have any real idea about this one)
> - somehow (despite excellent flights) the online services take a dump at release similar to MCC
> - 343 neglects the community (this seems really unlikely)
> - very little content (few maps, modes, playlists) at launch and for a large window after release. We’ll find out over the next few weeks if this will be true.
> - overwhelming number of cheaters

Not going to read any of this. Stop trying to lecture me on what I’m trying to say. If you can’t comprehend that, then that’s okay.

That’s cool that you think someone explaining an opposing opinion is lecturing. That skill will take you far in life…
Oh right, I forgot splitgate. That’s another game that disproves your point.

I think a bump in move speed by 10 or so percent could be interesting and wouldn’t be opposed to trying it out.

With that said, there are issues here which make the game slower to play besides movement speed. Maps in this game for example tend to be much more compartmentalised, which can slow down the action per minute.

Think about h3 maps like midship, guardian, construct and many other maps, which had a wide variety of sight lines, and open spaces. Then compare that to live fire, recharge, or streets. With the h5 maps its just rooms and walls everywhere, significantly slowing down how frequently you can actually see or engage an enemy.

Finally, strongly disagree with your point on sprint - the less impact sprint has on the game, the better. Sprint has been one of the fundamental problems with Halo since Reach, and arguably its existence has been a core reason for their failure. Sprints current implementation minimises the effect of sprint, partly due to the low delta of sprint and normal speed.

For reasons I cba explaining, sprint slows the game down, so your desire to make it faster would do the opposite of what you want.

> 2533274849093370;1:
> I keep watching gameplay of Infinite and it looks so slow to me, especially for an Arena type game. I’m concerned about it not being fast enough to succeed on PC. I felt this way during the flight and haven’t watched much until today. The release of the new map “Streets” sparked my interest.
>
> It’s a great looking game and no matter what I’m going to give it a try on release. How can you not? Multiplayer is going to be free!
>
> I’m sure the closer it gets to release, the more we’ll hear about any tweaks from the last flight. I just have my fingers crossed hoping that they will buff sprint or something. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that I’m going to get bored pretty quick if the game plays too slow.
>
> I understand the difference between movement speed and game-pace by the way, so please spare me the lecture :slight_smile:

If you watched the IGN gameplay uploaded yesterday don’t bother lol.
You should watch the “competative settings reveal” video featuring Tashi, that gameplay is much faster and more fluid

I thought the movement felt pretty fast whenever I played the flights. Especially on Recharge and Bazaar. Maybe it was just the fov making the game look slow.