I'm starting to get the impression that Halo 4 won't play the same

Just what the title suggests, I’m getting the impression this might be a new beast entirely. I don’t doubt that it’s a first person shooter, I don’t doubt that therell be vehicles or multiplayer, but on the Campaign perspective, the enemies are almost guranteed to be different and that puts the “fun” in jeopardy. The fun in Halo Reach through 3 (Chronologically speaking, which includes 1 and 2) depedned on how the enemies played and how you could kill them, and what was great for the story was that their behavior went along with how they were portrayed in the story.

The Sangheili are not soldiers and they never fight this way. They are warriors, independent from one another unless in specified unit like the Spec Ops. Other than that they’re WARRIORS and therefore have an excuse for running out at you, using their inferior assets (Unggoy, Kig-Yar etc) as bait, and other behavioral things. If they functioned as soldiers they’d work like ants, advancing in strategic pattern, establishing kill boxes, etc. For an alien to function the same as the Sangheili does it would have to fight like an independant warrior, not a soldier (yes I know a soldier can fight alone, no this isn’t a stab at our military, I’m just establishing that soldiers fight as one where as warriors are independant, but they can both be both ways, it’s only on default that warriors are independant and soldiers are a collaboration. I’m defining the Sangheili’s behavior and how it’s justified) and so I’m slightly worried that there might not be a “warrior” species, which would mean this element will be removed or unjustified, and because Halo is a series that likes to define and ground itself to some probability (I didn’t say practicality) I’d hate to seen one thrown in “just cause”.

The Unggoy were even unique in that they aren’t as important to the Covenant, in yet essential. What do I mean by this? With soldiers there is a measure of value for their own lives, this doesn’t mean it keeps them from succeeding, I’m just saying it’s present. With the Unggoy, their isn’t necessarilly. The Covenant use them in ways that contradicts basic survival. They’ll have them walk right into traps to wear an enemy down or will be used as diversions, where as soldiers don’t do this unless they HAVE to. With Unggoy, it’s what they’re good for, they remove the fear of direct approach by telling them that if they do not advance then the person behind them will kill them. Human soldiers have done this before, but they’re also valued, Unggoy aren’t they reproduce so quickly and are so abundant that sacrificing them is shameless. This threat tactic is allowed to work at all times because they are nearly 100% expendable, soldiers aren’t, not to the degree Unggoy are. I’m wondering if there will be a species set up quite like this in Halo 4 because an enemy would only behave this way under highly specific circumstances, and if they ran out at you “just cause” then it would make them appear stupid, rather than tactful. This isn’t to say that the Unggoy are smart, this is to say that the Covenant use them in a smart way. They are a great asset because they break the priority of living. In Halo 4 there might not be enemies like this which might end up making the game feel like a cover shooter if everyone plays behind cover and isn’t expendable.

The Kig-Yar are the most relatible in what they do. They don’t function as warriors and while being expendble they aren’t tossed out to wear an enemy down, expend enemy ammunition, or divert attention per say, they more or less “augment” a batch of enemies. While Sangheili are the warriors and the Unggoy and Kig-Yar are the tools of these warriors, the Kig-Yar provide a “perk” so to speak. Some units have Kig-Yar with energy shields. This gives the Sangheili cover while also allowing a direct approach. It also wastes human ammunition. But that’s all they’re good for, other than that they use the same weapons as Unggoy and while they are faster they do not possess a natural exoskeleton and are therefore less durable. Other units change it up with a Kig-Yar sniper, but the unit doesn’t “use” the sniper within itself the same way it uses the Kig-Yar with shielding. The only thing the sniper’s provide is pinning enemies, for the Unggoy advance, but that has to be met with geographical conditions in favor of such a tactic. While they aren’t warriors or expendable yet useful fodder they are perks to their team, and I hope there is an equivalent in the next game, for the Kig-Yar make for a lot of fun and tactful thinking.

That makes up the bulk, and the way they function is why they are fun to fight. If they functioned differently or if one was removed then it might not feel like “Halo” anymore.

> by telling them that if they do not advance then the person behind them will kill them.

Reminds me of the Soviets during World War Two.

Oh, and I agree with your statement.

Two things:

  1. It was stated in one of the more recent books that not EVERYBODY knows that the Human-Covenant war is over.

  2. 343 realizes they’re doing something big here, and they probably have it under control. Whatever this new enemy is, I’m sure they’ll set up a hierarchy and make them play very similar to the Covenant. Yeah, it might be blatantly obvious that they’re supposed to represent Jackals, Grunts, Elites, etc., but at least the gameplay will be the same.

(Here’s the second half which just felshes out the other species. My computer died before I could post it all so this is late, but just treat it as a continuation of the original post.)

Halo includes more species however which add to the fun factor, AND are justified as the ones above are.

The Lek-Golo wield giant shields and fire a variety of powerful plasma cannons. They are the bullet sponges of the games (unless you have a pistol) and fit within the story. They are NOT hard to reproduce and justify like the above 3, they are basically walking tanks and while they could add a unit composed of the first 3 listed fire power, they can also function on their own the same way the Sangheili can. I’m not worried about a Lek-Golo replacement because their have been many in games before and I find that bigger sturdier units are easier to justify than why expendable units are expendable in the first place (Unggoy or in any game in general) and what their value is in the long term fight (bullet sponge, ground gaining, diversion, kamakazi, surrounding, wearing down etc).

The Yanm’me are also easy to reproduce because they are basically flying units. That’s their only unique characteristic. They don’t fall in with the above 3 and can function alone like the Lek-Golo. In fact even without a Sangheili warriors instruction the Yanm’me will swarm it’s targets. They, like the Lek-Golo, are not hard to reproduce for Halo 4, nor are they hard to justify. Any unit can take this role, but the fact that they’re hive minded justifies their swarm tactics, so that may need some justifying if someone were to function identically.

The Jiralhanae, while having leadership roles in Halo 3, worked in packs in Halo 2 and Halo Reach. They are the only units that function like soldiers to some degree (as they did during the civil wars on their home planet), theach member of the pack has a value and aren’t expendable (Check), a supporting role to the unit (Check), and are put together to help one another advance (Check). This is also EASY to recreate because it’s what’s in EVERY first person shooter game. The only thing about the Jiralhanae that isn’t, is their BERSERK mode. That’s equivalent to “bugging out”. The other trait is their warrior funcioning Chieftans. They do not function as soldiers among their pack, but advance as one with a melee weapon even. This would mean that they could take the role as Unggoy in a Sangheili unit BUT also have value in that they are NOT expendable. All in all the basic Jiralhanae pack of soldiers would be EASY to remake but also the most dull. The Chieftan however would basically be the same as creating the warrior styled combat of a Sangheili.

Lastly we have the Huragok, which as we know are more or less tools, more so even than the Kig-Yar which I’ve only marked as “perks”. They function as bombs and shielding units. They have no value as warriors, no functionality as soldiers, and as the books suggest they’re more mechanics. Honestly, anything could take this role in the new game and it would be simple to justify.

If you don’t get what I’m trying to say, I understand, it’s getting late and I may have failed to clarify a few things, but what I’m trying to say is that Halo is a perfect blend of fun functionality (as I’ve defined above) while also remaining justifyable to the story lore) which I’ve also defined above) and if there are new enemies I’m getting the impression that some of the fun from previous games will not return or it’d be too hard to justify story wise, and I’ rather them not just throw in fun and forget the story.

> 2. 343 realizes they’re doing something big here, and they probably have it under control. Whatever this new enemy is, I’m sure they’ll set up a hierarchy and make them play very similar to the Covenant. Yeah, it might be blatantly obvious that they’re supposed to represent Jackals, Grunts, Elites, etc., but at least the gameplay will be the same.

I hope you’re right, and I also hope they aren’t just sentinel counterparts to the Covenant.

Um… the client races of the Covenant are going to be in Halo 4. You can’t have Halo without grunts and elites. This new enemy is not going to supplant the Covies. The Flood didn’t. Perhaps the new enemy is a new faction. But trying to have Halo with out the Covies… it wouldn’t be Halo. It would be some other game about space marines fighting aliens.

> Um… the client races of the Covenant are going to be in Halo 4. You can’t have Halo without grunts and elites. This new enemy is not going to supplant the Covies. The Flood didn’t. Perhaps the new enemy is a new faction. But trying to have Halo with out the Covies… it wouldn’t be Halo. It would be some other game about space marines fighting aliens.

That is excactly my fear.

> > Um… the client races of the Covenant are going to be in Halo 4. You can’t have Halo without grunts and elites. This new enemy is not going to supplant the Covies. The Flood didn’t. Perhaps the new enemy is a new faction. But trying to have Halo with out the Covies… it wouldn’t be Halo. It would be some other game about space marines fighting aliens.
>
> That is excactly my fear.

Well, that and any new additions not make as much sense as the established species.

Why on earth are you afraid of that happening? They only mentioned a new enemy. No other details. They certainly did not say “Covies ain’t gonna be in H4, we’re making something completely different.” Glasslands, which was meant to act as a bridge to H4, did not ignore the Covies or in any way imply that the Covies’ stories were done. Half of the whole book was told from an Elite’s Point of view!

I just don’t understand why some people think that there won’t be Covie races in Halo 4. That’s ridiculous, and it would take away from a huge part of what makes Halo, Halo.

> Why on earth are you afraid of that happening? They only mentioned a new enemy. No other details. They certainly did not say “Covies ain’t gonna be in H4, we’re making something completely different.” Glasslands, which was meant to act as a bridge to H4, did not ignore the Covies or in any way imply that the Covies’ stories were done. Half of the whole book was told from an Elite’s Point of view!
>
> I just don’t understand why some people think that there won’t be Covie races in Halo 4. That’s ridiculous, and it would take away from a huge part of what makes Halo, Halo.

That thought is there because Frankie said that there would be no purple in Halo 4, which heavily implies that there will be no Covenant.

Frankie said theres no purple so that means no covenant in halo 4 but that dosent mean we wont see the species we might see the species but its more likley we see te elites

They can do whatever they want with the campaign.

tbh, halo campaigns are pretty dated at this point. Even the simple clear room, go to next room and clear it, go to next room clear it approach has changed to involve huge set piece after set piece.

They need to make it a whole hell of a lot more complex.

> They can do whatever they want with the campaign.
>
> tbh, halo campaigns are pretty dated at this point. Even the simple clear room, go to next room and clear it, go to next room clear it approach has changed to involve huge set piece after set piece.
>
> They need to make it a whole hell of a lot more complex.

Halo really never did room to room clearing. It’s always had open outdoor environments.

The recent trend in FPS though is to have basically a very small path, basically a corridor, although rendering more than just that past invisible boundaries, and basically having lots of explosions go off.

> The fun in Halo Reach through 3 (Chronologically speaking, which includes 1 and 2) depedned on how the enemies played and how you could kill them, and what was great for the story was that their behavior went along with how they were portrayed in the story.

Amen.

> The Sangheili are not soldiers and they never fight this way. They are warriors, independent from one another unless in specified unit like the Spec Ops. Other than that they’re WARRIORS and therefore have an excuse for running out at you, using their inferior assets (Unggoy, Kig-Yar etc) as bait, and other behavioral things.

I disagree. They are not barbaric or willing to stoop down to the treacherous ways of a Jackal (except Reach Elites. Those are barbarians). They are disciplined and they have a code of honor (a honorable combatant (Kurt) deserves a honorable death by the sword. The lowest are not worthy of such a death. Waste of battery anyway. Of course, Arbiter’s means of killing Truth are a tad bit different as it was the only way to secure vengeance. Snapping his neck would not have been sufficient and it’s better than the Flood infecting Truth) and culture (i.e. dishonorable to shed their own blood except in combat, to flee battles, and human weapons are looked down on as inferior). They are soldiers and warriors. It is possible to be both.

Besides, the Grunts and Jackals are not sent out by the Elites. That is their preference. Their job is to swarm (except Reach Jackals. Those are just moving shields). Rarely does one see an Elite pointing out at the enemy for his lackeys to attack. In fact, this pointing out animation is missing in Reach.

> Um… the client races of the Covenant are going to be in Halo 4. You can’t have Halo without grunts and elites. This new enemy is not going to supplant the Covies. The Flood didn’t. Perhaps the new enemy is a new faction. But trying to have Halo with out the Covies… it wouldn’t be Halo. It would be some other game about space marines fighting aliens.

Hopefully the series isn’t ruined, But i have faith in 343 that once some gameplay is released ours fears will be gone

If you’re experienced enough to have been there from CoD1-3 and then saw the changes MW brought, than you may understand the changes coming to Halo4.

remember the elites are on your side cuz of the arbiter

As far as I understand things, Halo4 takes place in such a way that at least the Elites didn’t get the message that the Covenant had split.

but the elite leaders are on your side

A lot of this is based on speculation and opinion, I think I’ll wait until we know a little more about the game before I criticize it.