Im new. Which halo to start 1st?

im new to Halo, which halo should i play 1st

1 Like

Welcome to the franchise!

If you want to start from a story/lore perspective then Halo: Reach is where you need to start. If you want to just pick up and play a game then I would say start Halo 3 first.

It really depends on what you want out of the game. Just be aware that the game mechanics will be noticeably different with each title (with the exception of Halo 3: ODST; this is really noticeable when you make the jump from Halo: Reach to Halo: Combat Evolved).

1 Like

You could get the Master Chief Collection and play almost all of them. You can choose to play each game in chronological story order or start from the first Halo Combat Evolved through Halo 5.

2 Likes

I would suggest the original trilogy first. You’ll get to know all of what makes this series great and will most likely have a blast doing it. From there I’d suggest Halo 3: ODST or Halo Reach. After those, you can play through 4 and 5 or Halo Wars 1 & 2.

A few things to note, however-
All of these games are available on Xbox and PC, except for Halo 5. To my knowledge that is only on Xbox with no current plans for a PC version.

Halo Wars is an RTS, and IIRC the first one is very standalone to everything else. However, Halo Wars 2 jumps to the present point in the Halo story and introduces the enemies in the upcoming game.

Do with all this as you will, but I hope you have fun with however you go about your playthrough!

To appreciate the new ones you always have to start from the beginning :v:

I’d say play them all and in release order. If you don’t have that kind of time, play only the baseline CE thru 5. If you need a really quick run thru there might be a MCC playlist for that.

EDIT: As an aside for the veterans here: if you had to summarize the entire baseline series to the ten (more or less) most important missions, which would they be? I’m finding it difficult to do.

Welcome to playing Halo. It’s always nice to see new players being interested in the franchise. I’d recommend playing the games is in order of release. That way you get to understand Halo how players have throughout the years.

2 Likes

Litteraly anyone them exept for the ones made by 343

2 Likes

I’d advise starting with Halo 1, given that it gives you a decent introduction to the story and gameplay mechanics used throughout the games, and then playing them in order of release since although a lot of people might say that you should start with reach as it is the first canonically (I’m not including the Halo Wars games) but there are a couple of things in Halo reach that don’t make much sense if you haven’t played the rest of the games.

Whether you go on to the 343 games after that is up to you, but they are kind of a controversial topic.

1 Like

First things first then: Master Chief Collection. Play through all those and then Halo 5.

The only other thing you need to beat at that point is Halo: Infinite which will be a wild ride in and of itself. If you don’t feel like playing that many games though (MCC is 6 games), I would simply recommend Halo 5 and then Infinite. You’ll also get the chance to meet and team up Blue Team which is vital to understanding Chief.

Welcome to the worlds of Halo.

1 Like

I think if they want the best understanding of Halo, it’d be best to play Halo 4 and Halo 5.

Besides, Halo 4 was one of the strongest Halo Campaigns ever told, and this is not a hot take might I add, although Bungie enthusiasts try to declare otherwise.

Not to mention, Halo Infinite is gonna need to draw on an understanding of what happened to Cortana, especially with how Chief is now paired with the Weapon, who essentially acts similar but still different from Cortana.

Don’t try ruin their experience due to your disliking of 343. Bungie have done many things wrong as well during their time with Halo, but that seems mostly forgotten these days.

1 Like

I’m always a fan of playing in Chronological order when possible. I’ve played/owe every game. This may not be a popular answer but I say start with Halo wars, then Reach, Halo CE, Fireteam Raven…
But if you don’t care so much about the all the spinoff, then go with the main game series. HALO CE, H2, H3…

For most of the games, The Master Chief Collection will be the way to go.

And of course, welcome to Halo!

1 Like

I beleive halo MCC is up to 75% off right now and it has everything you need

While I usually would prefer chronological order in terms of understanding the story, it would be pretty cool to play through the games as they released, so you can see how each game incrementally changed throughout each release. Plus you get to expierence it like the fans already have. :+1:

Welcome!

1 Like

You fakin what halo 4 litteraly made no since lore wise, untill you wake the didact. Case in point humanity was chosen as the heirs to the mantle of responsibility. Why would the promethians ever hunt humans. Better yet why would they align with the covenant

1 Like

definitely play thru in release order, halo ce → halo 2 → halo 3 → odst → reach . chronological could be cool, but i think starting with reach (prequel) and going on to halo 1 CE after might feel too weird.
halo 3 ODST takes place in the middle of halo 2 so playing that in between halo 2 and halo 3 instead of after halo 3 could be neat also.
i didn’t beat 4 and never played 5 but i think 4 would be worth playing if you liked all the others

1 Like

Welcome to the fun, enjoy the ride!

I personally have played the absolute hell out of these games for 20 years and despite other players advising that you should play them in the order that the Halo timeline follows I’d actually strongly disagree with that. Mainly because of how the gameplay evolves and changes throughout the series. If you went from Reach to Combat evolved, you wouldn’t enjoy Combat evolved at all because of how much of a back step the gameplay is being almost a decade older. You simply wouldn’t appreciate it for what it is.
I couldn’t possibly stress how important it is to play the games in release order.
Combat Evolved, 2, 3, ODST, REACH, 4, 5: Guardians.
The gameplay evolves dramatically throughout each of the games and if you were to go back and forth it would just get confusing to control & the movement mechanics would get frustrating more so.

Just play them in the order they were released & we will see you on the battlefield in Halo Infinite. :slight_smile:

You ever read the books or even play the campaign because you are grasping at straws. Humanity was chosen as heirs to the Mantle by the Precursors. Some Forerunners respected that like the Librarian others however, typical the militaristic Forerunners did not. The Ur-Didact was one such. So when he was released from his confinement, he put all the Prometheans back under his control (this is seen in game btw) which is why their hardlight glow changes from blue to orange (blue representing them under the Librarians control). As for the Covenant, Forerunners were their Gods and considering the Prometheans fought alongside the Covenant, when the Didact was out of the story, the Prometheans followed Jul’ Mdama’s orders up until the events of Halo 5. Now I will defend Halo 4’s story until I die, but Halo 5 however, have away at it. It’s concept was good, but the execution was poor… Very poor.

I’ve said my piece, but you’ll probaly reply because you think 343 is bad and Bungie is good…

1 Like

If you want to start the story in order but only playing the FPS titles of Halo then its: Halo Reach, Halo CE, Halo 2, Halo 3 ODST, Halo 3, Halo 4, Halo 5, and Halo Infinite (when it launches).

Now if you dont know there are other halo games that are not FPS like Halo Wars and Halo wars 2 which are RTS (Real Time Strategy) titles, if you want to play those too then the order is going to change a bit and be like this: Halo Wars, Halo Reach, Halo CE, Halo 2, Halo 3 ODST, Halo 3, Halo 4, Halo 5, Halo Wars 2, and Halo Infinite (when it launches).

If you want to play them in release order then just follow the launch dates of each game and play them in that order.

ALSO, there are other smaller titles for Halo like, Halo: Fireteam Raven, Halo: Spartan Assault, and Halo: Spartan Strike which are arcade or twin stick shooters, they aren’t as important on their own but they do and some more story to the Halo Franchise. Halo Fireteam Raven if im not mistaking takes place during the events of Halo CE and Halo Spartan Strike and Halo Spartan Assault take place between Halo 3 and Halo 4 if im not wrong

There are also novels, comics, anime anthology, movies, and an upcoming series which releases in 2022 on Paramount+.

Hope this guide helps you know where to start and the other types of games and external media there is for the franchise. If I missed to mention something else or said something incorrectly, hopefully someone can correct this reply.

2 Likes

If it’s not to painful for you to get through the first game first, that’s the best way to do it. It has aged though. Might take a while to get used to.