I'm Gonna Miss the DMR

Topic says it all. It’s now inferior in all circumstances. The BR and Carbine wreck it at close range, and the LightRifle is now ridiculously superior at long range with the pre-existing damage advantage and the sped-up RoF (why?).

I’m withholding my opinion on the rest of the update until I’ve played it for a few days, but wouldn’t you agree that the DMR is no longer useful or relevant? How do you feel about that?

good riddance, now all the weapons can work at their intended ranges

I have not played the update yet but i can argue why the DMR should step out of the limelight for a while. This is purely due to the fact that EVERYONE or almost everyone used the DMR as their standard weapon for numerous gametypes. Given the power and the accuracy of the gun, the weapons getting updated today arguably result in more weapon variation.

The DMR should by no means be left to die but you have to at least allow other weapons to shine in their respective roles.

> good riddance, now all the weapons can work at their intended ranges

I think all the weapons worked at their intended ranges before, but simply that the BR and Carbine were never really intended for Halo 4. Those two weapons were the only problematic inclusions, and only because they were redundant DMR clones that didn’t do the job as efficiently. This has changed now, but I’m not sure all the changes were necessary or constructive.

Before, the DMR could compete evenly (not unfairly) against every other loadout weapon other than the BR and Carbine, and it was fittingly inferior to any given power weapon when used in their intended ranges. Now, it’s not even as enticing to pick up power weapons (especially difficult ones such as the Sniper Rifle) because the BR can punish them so easily. The DMR never had any balance issues against power weapons, and I think the new BR might.

I already played a BTB Settler. I used the LR but when I tried to invade the enemy base I got OWNED by DMR’s. The LR wins if zoomed, but they reduced the ROF unzoomed to make it even worse agains the DMR at close range so that the DMR could still have it’s place in Halo 4.

So if you’re not going to rush the enemy and stay behind on BTB your weapon is LR.
If you want to push the enemy, your weapon is DMR.

Perfect balance on BTB… smells like flowers and gasolin.

the DMR is still fine. But since the other weapons are so much fun to use now, considered switching things up for fun. Doubt going back DMR since I already completed commendations.

Alternative response:

> good riddance, now all the weapons can work at their intended ranges

Except the DMR.

The DMR is still the best weapon, but it isn’t as dominant as it was.

> > good riddance, now all the weapons can work at their intended ranges
>
> I think all the weapons worked at their intended ranges before, but simply that the BR and Carbine were never really intended for Halo 4. Those two weapons were the only problematic inclusions, and only because they were redundant DMR clones that didn’t do the job as efficiently. This has changed now, but I’m not sure all the changes were necessary or constructive.
>
> Before, the DMR could compete evenly (not unfairly) against every other loadout weapon other than the BR and Carbine, and it was fittingly inferior to any given power weapon when used in their intended ranges. Now, it’s not even as enticing to pick up power weapons (especially difficult ones such as the Sniper Rifle) because the BR can punish them so easily. The DMR never had any balance issues against power weapons, and I think the new BR might.

The DMR shouldn’t have been in Halo 4, granted it was an UNSC Army deployment weapon but seriously, at least the BR was not accurate at the range of the Sniper. Without Bloom this gun is ridiculous and you can see it especially in Big Team. It wrecks vehicles, wrecks Spartans, and if you were good with it like most people here you can kill a BR user with it. The gun functions more like a Power Weapon more than anything to me at least.

The DMR was an unbalanced wreck before. Look at the other weapons, they are very niche weapons. They only meet their true capacity in their specific ranges and can’t dish it out past those ranges.

BR: Close - Medium Range, loses to DMR at long range.
Carbine: Same as BR.
Light Rifle: - Long range, loses to DMR at close range.

The DMR is as it should be, the all around weapon. It is consistent at any range, unlike the other weapons. You can’t make the most consistent weapon the most powerful, or nothing else will get used.

You still beat BR’s at long range, and you still beat LR’s at close range. The DMR is the go-to weapon on maps with varying lines of sight because it works anywhere.

You wouldn’t take a BR on Rag or an LR on Haven (well, I do but that’s besides the point) but you can take the DMR on either of these maps and it will offer it’s own advantages against other weapons when in specific situations.

If you meet a BR user on Haven, there’s a higher chance you will lose. If you meet a BR user on Rag? Wipe the floor with him.

Vice versa goes for the light rifle.

DMR is the all around, the jack of all trades. It’s good at everything but the best at nothing, which is as it should be.

So the DMR still destroys the light rifle at close range, and destroys the carbine/BR at long range? Sounds about right, yeah.

I still stand by the fact that the DMR doesn’t belong in Halo.

Oh no! Now the DMR can’t be the all purpose weapon in the game! Adapt. The weapons are finally balanced.

> I still stand by the fact that the DMR doesn’t belong in Halo.

We’re talking about Halo 4, not “Halo”. Talking about “Halo” as some idealistic buzzword when applied to specific concepts (such as an individual weapon) is disingenuous. You can say it doesn’t belong in either Halo 3 or Halo: Reach, which is probably what you mean, but we’re not talking about those games. We’re talking about Halo 4.

Also, it’s not a “fact”, dude. It’s your opinion. An opinion isn’t necessarily less valuable than a fact; just so long as you’re capable of telling the difference between them.

> I still stand by the fact that the DMR doesn’t belong in Halo.

No I like the gun overall, I just feel without Bloom this weapon needs some serious work. I’ve always wanted my single shot BR Human weapon. However I can’t say this weapon made a great transition in this game.

> > good riddance, now all the weapons can work at their intended ranges
>
> I think all the weapons worked at their intended ranges before, but simply that the BR and Carbine were never really intended for Halo 4. Those two weapons were the only problematic inclusions, and only because they were redundant DMR clones that didn’t do the job as efficiently. This has changed now, but I’m not sure all the changes were necessary or constructive.
>
> Before, the DMR could compete evenly (not unfairly) against every other loadout weapon other than the BR and Carbine, and it was fittingly inferior to any given power weapon when used in their intended ranges. Now, it’s not even as enticing to pick up power weapons (especially difficult ones such as the Sniper Rifle) because the BR can punish them so easily. The DMR never had any balance issues against power weapons, and I think the new BR might.

That the BR and Carbine couldn’t compete fairly with the DMR is sort of the point, because those are half of the rifle classification in this game, the most important class. That the light rifle descoped can’t compete with it either wouldn’t be so bad of the BR and Carbine weren’t inferior too. The LR was done pretty well even before the update on its own, but the DMR was just too powerful at all ranges for the LR to really make up for it.

You can’t just say that the BR and carbine weren’t “intended” for Halo 4 anymore than you can say that the DMR wasn’t “intended” for Halo. It may not have worked the first time, but that’s because the DMR was too powerful; now according to your own OP all of the weapons work in their intended ranges. The LR is supposed to dominate at long range, the BR/Carbine are supposed to dominate in an overlapping field of close to mid, and the DMR is supposed to be the equalizer, jack of all trades that destroy any of the other three outside of their niche. The DMR is still useful for that, in effect making it the most versatile weapon, but not the most effective weapon at any one range. It all comes down to how you play; if you pick the DMR you’ll likely be going anywhere from long to close range in a single life, and you need that reliable versatility to succeed.

> > I still stand by the fact that the DMR doesn’t belong in Halo.
>
> We’re talking about Halo 4, not “Halo”. Talking about “Halo” as some idealistic buzzword when applied to specific concepts (such as an individual weapon) is disingenuous. You can say it doesn’t belong in either Halo 3 or Halo: Reach, which is probably what you mean, but we’re not talking about those games. We’re talking about Halo 4.
>
> Also, it’s not a “fact”, dude. It’s your opinion. An opinion isn’t necessarily less valuable than a fact; just so long as you’re capable of telling the difference between them.

Yes, it is an opinion. I do support it too. In Reach, the DMR’s competition was the Needle Rifle, which was quite the same. The weapons worked in Reach, though gunfights became more increasing standoffish; players could more easily sit back and shoot than be forced to move up for more accuracy. The Bloom and accuracy of the DMR lessened this a bit when compared to the H4 DMR.

In H4, 343 had to take into account several other spawn weapons when balancing, making things much more complicated. Personally, I feel that the short range of the trilogy’s BR complemented the flow of gameplay perfectly; players were made to move more. With the DMR alongside it now, its range was buffed a bit when compared to previous versions. Pair this with the other single shot weapons the lack of the descope function, and you can see just how much engagement ranges have changed. I feel its bad to how Halo 4 flows.

The DMR and flinch shouldn’t belong, for they only drag out the range of the weapon sandbox.

DMR has left a bitter taste on my tongue since Reach. Wasn’t crazy about it then, not crazy about it now. I think 343 tried to make the DMR popular by making it the strongest weapon, but it went wrong somewhere. I’m glad its where it belongs.

I used it for abit today and it still was good. Beat a few BR users.
Some of the enemies i was playing were only using it!!

> DMR is the all around, the jack of all trades. It’s good at everything but the best at nothing, which is as it should be.

The DMR is a long ranged weapon, the fact that it even competes at close-range is wrong.
No weapon should be the Jack of all Trades in a class-based shooter, just look at Battlefield 3. The M16A3 was considered OP because it was so good at Close, Medium and Long range. But in comparison to other weapons in the sandbox the M16A3 was nowhere near being the best at any range. But people complained that it needed a nerf, DICE listened and the M16 got a slight increase in recoil.

The DMR needs to have a niche, which should be between Medium-Long range. The Light Rifle owns Long Range, the BR and Carbine own Close-Medium and the AR’s own Close range.