I'm going to list and rate every objectionable challenge I get in this thread with a short explanation of why it's bad

The Worst ones
“Kill an enemy Scorpion/Wraith”
This challenge requires Many, many things to line up and depends entirely on the enemy getting a Tank, something that any player would rather prevent, unless they have this challenge. Tanks rarely ever spawn in BTB, Spawning a tank requires the game to progress to the last round as far as I can tell, think 2 out of 3 flags/total control rounds/powercells drops each team having won and lost 2 rounds each. This almost never happens. The majority of the time BTB goes to the last round it’s because one team is rolling and so such rounds pass far too quick for anything to spawn. When teams are equally matched BTB matches will rarely pass the first round let alone reach a mutual game point.
If Big Team Heavies were part of the rotation this wouldn’t be a nearly as big a problem.

“Kill # players with a Scorpion/ Wraiths main gun”
This also falls into this, category for much of the same reasons as the first example. Except instead of letting an enemy get the tank your now competing with 23 other players to be the one inside the tank.

The Bad
“Stop an enemy killing spree”
This is slightly less egregious as it’s far more likely to happen but it still depends entirely on an enemy player getting a killing spree and you being the one who kills him. This is incredibly hard to do on purpose and will only really happen on accident which makes it bad. The reverse of this “earn killing sprees” is an example of a good challenge as it’s something a player can actively try to do.

“Win Game Mode”
“Score in Game mode”
This was in the mediocre Tier until I realized that on top of any game mode being locked behind an RNG queue system, it also encourages players to sandbag. The best way to to try and get these Challenges done, Other than dropping out when you don’t get the game mode you want, is to take advantage of the SBMM System (Skill-Based Match-Making). Playing badly as you try and get the random game mode to Proc will get the SBMM to put you in lower and lower skill games, and on higher and higher skill teams, meaning when the game mode does eventually role you will be able to Pub-stomp/Smurf your way to getting those challenges done.

The mediocre
“Play/Win Game mode”
“Get Kills with Weapon”
Thus far this is where “Get kills with Weapon” challenges go. Players trying finish these challenges are stuck relying on random chance. Will the map spawn the weapon they need? The weapon challenges are worse for a players teammates as that player will trend towards using that weapon even in situations where that weapon is bad, leading to players who are trying to win to complete their challenges stuck with teamates who are doing less than their best, or even their average.

Edit: I’m moving Game mode based challenges up from mediocre to bad, because I realized something I hadn’t before.

6 Likes

Adding Overwatch to the WORST pile as all but one of the circumstances for getting a “Savior”(Save an Ally from far away) are entirely out of the Players Control. While forcing the player into a particular play style if they try to increase the odds of it happening. I.E. staying far away from their team.

3 Likes

Personally I would put “5 melee kills from behind” in the bad list. Probably not worst list, but still pretty bad.

It’s not totally out of the players control, but can force people to go out of their way and make mistakes.

2 Likes

Play/Win Game mode in Ranked
Also goes into the Bad Category, just because it’s in ranked now doesn’t make it better. When 343 fixed the not enough Playlists problem and Trimmed away the Egregious Challenges. They also forgot to check and trim the Event Challenges alongside them.

1 Like

NO IT’S MY BALL:Kill an enemy Spartan While Carrying the ball.
Even after the new Playlists and Challenge rebalancing this is still a bad Challenge. It’s still dependent on RNG because you can’t queue in for Oddball, only quick-play. Then you have to get the ball. If you’re a solo queue that means your competing against 7 other players to get the ball, teammates and enemies alike. Then you have to get in a situation where the enemy bum-rushes you so you can get the melee kill, this last part isn’t uncommon, but your just as likely to get grenade/explosive spammed to death or shot from a distance. It also has the potential negative effect of creating overly aggressive ball carriers.

1 Like

The problem with the weapon challenges is that they fail to understand that some weapons aren’t really meant for killing. The Plasma Pistol is meant for stripping shields. The Ravager is meant for area denial (it should be able to kill, but I digress). The Disruptor is meant to slow shield recharge and EMP vehicles. And so on.

I would change some of these weapons to:

1. Shock X players with the Disruptor
    or
  2. EMP X vehicles with the Disruptor, Shock Rifle or Dynamo Grenades.

You could maybe even make kill with the disruptor worth 2x points since that’s harder to do.

1. EMP X shields from enemy Spartans with the plasma pistol overcharge.

2. Do X damage with the Ravager Overcharge.

3. Do X damage with the Assist– I mean Pulse Carbine.

A reminder that OVERWATCH is still a challenge in this game, and that it is currently the worst one I know of. It needs to be removed.

Anything which relies on another player is a bad challenge. Nuff said.
Overwatch, Stop Sprees, I would even go as far as to say jacking is garbage because of how seldom a vehicle spawns in BTB.

I really don’t like how the weapon challenges function. I’ve had so many that haven’t counted. It seems like the game doesn’t count the kill if you kill an enemy that is already weakened.

For instance the mangler…I killed several people with mangler gunfire today and the challenge just would not complete. It has oddly specific criteria. You need a full shield enemy and then kill them by shooting only. Not a fan of the forced play-style.