If you think Smart Scope is only aesthetic

Let’s get right to it: Smart scope does increases accuracy (bullet spread), although 343 told us otherwise. That’s a fact we can agree on (see the images below, if you believe otherwise). Also, smart scope takes too much space from the screen compared to the previous zoom (example), thus limiting your sight, and, imo, looks generic.

The question here is why? why do we need smart scope, while the old zoom worked just fine? It absolutely adds nothing to the gameplay or the overall quality of the game. the Sniper rifle still have the old style zoom, which, imo, looks better.

What I’m not sure about is, whether the older games had the same thing, considering that when zooming in them, you maintained the same reticle size over an extended distance.

Screenshots:

Magnum: zoomed, unzoomed

AR: zoomed, unzoomed

SMG: zoomed, unzoomed

BR: zoomed, unzoomed

DMR: zoomed, [unzoomed

](http://i.imgur.com/86waJTp.jpg)In the images above, you can notice how the reticle gets tighter when zooming (besides the DMR) , resulting in tighter bullet spread.

It’s not late yet to change this, as zooming is nothing but adding a different UI while aiming. Heck, it can be changed in a patch after release.

“If it becomes such that everybody feels like they have to be using smart scope in order to be competitive, then we’ve broken the game”

-Josh Holmes
EDIT: a video by x A k K i x further supporting my claims.

EDIT 2: a video by HurriedThrone50 showing how Halo 3’s BR bullet spread stays the same while both zoomed and un-zoomed (unfortunately the bullet holes disappear rather quickly in this game, so it may be hard to notice).

That’s what the Beta is for. I’ll be playing the early-release in a few hours, and then I’ll decide if the Smart Link changes things too much.

idk what you mean when the new scopes take too much space, the pistol,AR,Br, all but DMR takes LESS space

> 2533274877056440;2:
> That’s what the Beta is for. I’ll be playing the early-release in a few hours, and then I’ll decide if the Smart Link changes things too much.

and in hours ill be playing too :slight_smile: thats when ill see the impact of gameplay

> 2533274877056440;2:
> That’s what the Beta is for. I’ll be playing the early-release in a few hours, and then I’ll decide if the Smart Link changes things too much.

Have you seen the screenshots? the reticle became smaller after zooming. You dont need to play the beta to be able too see this.

> 2533274973373704;5:
> > 2533274877056440;2:
> > That’s what the Beta is for. I’ll be playing the early-release in a few hours, and then I’ll decide if the Smart Link changes things too much.
>
>
>
> Have you seen the screenshots? the reticle became smaller after zooming. You dont need to play the beta to be able too see this.

It does this in H2A as well. Plus, zooming will ALWAYS make the weapon more accurate, in a sense. That doesn’t mean you even sort of need to zoom in to kill other players. Zoom is like it always has been, you really only need it for farther ranges.

> 2533274973373704;5:
> > 2533274877056440;2:
> > That’s what the Beta is for. I’ll be playing the early-release in a few hours, and then I’ll decide if the Smart Link changes things too much.
>
>
> Have you seen the screenshots? the reticle became smaller after zooming. You dont need to play the beta to be able too see this.

This has always been the case though, even if it wasn’t visually represented. If you are, lets say, 50m from a target and you zoom 10x with a sniper, the reticle is the same size as it would be at 5m unscoped. Scoping has ALWAYS tightened up bullet spread.

> 2533274796680285;7:
> > 2533274973373704;5:
> > > 2533274877056440;2:
> > > That’s what the Beta is for. I’ll be playing the early-release in a few hours, and then I’ll decide if the Smart Link changes things too much.
> >
> >
> >
> > Have you seen the screenshots? the reticle became smaller after zooming. You dont need to play the beta to be able too see this.
>
>
> This has always been the case though, even if it wasn’t visually represented. If you are, lets say, 50m from a target and you zoom 10x with a sniper, the reticle is the same size as it would be at 5m unscoped. Scoping has ALWAYS tightened up bullet spread.

True, but the reticle maintained the same size. As you can see in the images, the reticle became smaller.

> 2533274915983628;3:
> idk what you mean when the new scopes take too much space, the pistol,AR,Br, all but DMR takes LESS space

“Also, smart scope takes too much space from the screen compared to the previous zoom”.

> 2533274973373704;8:
> > 2533274796680285;7:
> > > 2533274973373704;5:
> > > > 2533274877056440;2:
> > > > That’s what the Beta is for. I’ll be playing the early-release in a few hours, and then I’ll decide if the Smart Link changes things too much.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Have you seen the screenshots? the reticle became smaller after zooming. You dont need to play the beta to be able too see this.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > This has always been the case though, even if it wasn’t visually represented. If you are, lets say, 50m from a target and you zoom 10x with a sniper, the reticle is the same size as it would be at 5m unscoped. Scoping has ALWAYS tightened up bullet spread.
>
>
>
>
> True, but the reticle maintained the same size. As you can see in the images, the reticle became smaller.

He just said “Even if it wasn’t visually represented.” and he’s right about it. Anyway, the reticle gets smaller in H2A with the Carbine and BR and it still acts the same way the other halo’s did.

However, I do agree with one of your other posts, the DMR’s scope takes up WAY too much of the screen. The others look fine in terms of space taken up.

> 2533274855872059;10:
> > 2533274973373704;8:
> > > 2533274796680285;7:
> > > > 2533274973373704;5:
> > > > > 2533274877056440;2:
> > > > > That’s what the Beta is for. I’ll be playing the early-release in a few hours, and then I’ll decide if the Smart Link changes things too much.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Have you seen the screenshots? the reticle became smaller after zooming. You dont need to play the beta to be able too see this.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > This has always been the case though, even if it wasn’t visually represented. If you are, lets say, 50m from a target and you zoom 10x with a sniper, the reticle is the same size as it would be at 5m unscoped. Scoping has ALWAYS tightened up bullet spread.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > True, but the reticle maintained the same size. As you can see in the images, the reticle became smaller.
>
>
> He just said “Even if it wasn’t visually represented.” and he’s right about it. Anyway, the reticle gets smaller in H2A with the Carbine and BR and it still acts the same way the other halo’s did.
>
> However, I do agree with one of your other posts, the DMR’s scope takes up WAY too much of the screen.

I’m going to make a test to settle this once and for all. I’m going to play Halo 3 and 4 and compare the bullet spread of the BR in both games while zoomed and unzoomed.

If the bullet spread is unchanged then all smart scope does is zoom so you see you misses and hits better. In theory it should work like using a periscope or using sonar on a submarine so essentially they are slightly different visualizations of the same exact distance, target, and environment.

Yes but the accuracy increase is so small that it might as well not be there.

> 2533274857398125;13:
> Yes but the accuracy increase is so small that it might as well not be there.

It doesn’t see small to me. But If so, why have it?

Halo 3 BR spread improved while zoomed. Same happened in Reach and Halo 4. A small spread improvement is inline with established Halo zooming. Halo CE and Halo 2 was more of an auto aim range shift for zoom/un-zoomed.

i feel like im going to dislike the new zoom in but well see. i thought their visors were linked with their guns scopes ( the ones that had them) making it look like the scope is sort of your actual sight. i remember reading about that when i was younger.

> 2533274973373704;8:
> > 2533274796680285;7:
> > > 2533274973373704;5:
> > > > 2533274877056440;2:
> > > > That’s what the Beta is for. I’ll be playing the early-release in a few hours, and then I’ll decide if the Smart Link changes things too much.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Have you seen the screenshots? the reticle became smaller after zooming. You dont need to play the beta to be able too see this.
> >
> >
> >
> > This has always been the case though, even if it wasn’t visually represented. If you are, lets say, 50m from a target and you zoom 10x with a sniper, the reticle is the same size as it would be at 5m unscoped. Scoping has ALWAYS tightened up bullet spread.
>
>
> True, but the reticle maintained the same size. As you can see in the images, the reticle became smaller.

So its a very slight alteration to the established formula.

> 2533274796680285;17:
> > 2533274973373704;8:
> > > 2533274796680285;7:
> > > > 2533274973373704;5:
> > > > > 2533274877056440;2:
> > > > > That’s what the Beta is for. I’ll be playing the early-release in a few hours, and then I’ll decide if the Smart Link changes things too much.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Have you seen the screenshots? the reticle became smaller after zooming. You dont need to play the beta to be able too see this.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > This has always been the case though, even if it wasn’t visually represented. If you are, lets say, 50m from a target and you zoom 10x with a sniper, the reticle is the same size as it would be at 5m unscoped. Scoping has ALWAYS tightened up bullet spread.
> >
> >
> >
> > True, but the reticle maintained the same size. As you can see in the images, the reticle became smaller.
>
>
> So its a very slight alteration to the established formula.

Indeed. But why should we have it, if it’s as slight as it’s?

Told ya.

I instantly see what the problem is: The AR and the SMG shouldn’t have smart scope features. It looks like that’s whats breaking the guns, the AR down the sights is far too accurate, and if the smg is as good as people say then it must be straight broken smart’ed in so to speak.