If you can block a PLASMA SWORD, why can't you...

Block a bomb?

That’s my question. It seems to me the bomb, and it’s equivalent the oddball is superior than the sword because it can not be blocked.

You got me.

Personally I think the Sword block idea was a bit silly. The Shotgun already beats the Sword in most situations, so there wasn’t really any need to nerf it. I suppose the good thing about it is that it doesn’t happen very often for me, though.

The real question should be, “if you can block a sword, why can’t you block a normal melee attack?” Yet the answer would most likely stay the same: “Because it’s stupid to begin with.”

Why can’t you block a shotgun shell? It’s the Energy Sword’s equivalent! xP

Just exposing the Sword block even further for how ridiculous it is.

coventant military aquisitions board, meeting 22, close quaters battle equiptment review - energy sword prototype.

review board - “so mister blarg, it says here you have designed a new close combat weapon, for use by sangheli warriors, an ‘energy’ sword?”

mr blarg - “yes, its aa quite ingenius weapon, the design was based on the tradional weapons our nobles and military officers already carry, but is more elegant in design and function. rather than being made of solid materials, and having to be sheathed and carrier everywhere, with an inconvieniant size, this weapon is smaller and easier to carry while not in use.”

review board - “smaller? and easier to carry? i hope this doesnt affect the weapons application or effectiveness.”

mr blarg - “no, no, quite the contrary actualy, when not in use it can be de-activated, so all you carry is the hilt. but when activated… [pause for effect]… [activates the sword] as you can see i have a full sized sangheli blade, made not of metals, but of an electromagnetic envelope containing the same kinda of plasma (superheated ionised gas) that is fired from the standard plasma rifle. this weapon is capable of melting through even the armor we clad the hunters in, so in the hands of a skilled warrior is more lethal that the traditional design.”

review board - “you say it runs on plasma? what sort of reliability can we get from the power source?”

mr blarg - “around 10 solid blows, before the energy field surrounding the plasma expires, automaticly shutting the weapon off for user safety. but due to the nature of the device, a single warrior can wield 2 simultaneously while having a supply of spares easily to hand.”

review board - “well mr blarg, we are very impressed with your new addition to our military arsnel, and are pleased to inform you we have accepted your design. good day.”

mr blarg - [while leaving the room, under his breath] "thank god they didnt ask if it could be blocked…"

To be honest. It is quite possible for the sword to be blocked.
I mean, you really should take some form of damage while doing it. It is plasma after all…

Method: Like in kenjutsu, the sword is never blocked sharp edge on sharp edge (save for a dire situation)
The blade is whipped, using the side of the blade, to direct the energy of your attacker off of you.

The same method could be used with a rifle or gun of any sort. Though would the gun work afterwards is another question.

> coventant military aquisitions board, meeting 22, close quaters battle equiptment review - energy sword prototype.
>
> review board - “so mister blarg, it says here you have designed a new close combat weapon, for use by sangheli warriors, an ‘energy’ sword?”
>
> mr blarg - “yes, its aa quite ingenius weapon, the design was based on the tradional weapons our nobles and military officers already carry, but is more elegant in design and function. rather than being made of solid materials, and having to be sheathed and carrier everywhere, with an inconvieniant size, this weapon is smaller and easier to carry while not in use.”
>
> review board - “smaller? and easier to carry? i hope this doesnt affect the weapons application or effectiveness.”
>
> mr blarg - “no, no, quite the contrary actualy, when not in use it can be de-activated, so all you carry is the hilt. but when activated… [pause for effect]… [activates the sword] as you can see i have a full sized sangheli blade, made not of metals, but of an electromagnetic envelope containing the same kinda of plasma (superheated ionised gas) that is fired from the standard plasma rifle. this weapon is capable of melting through even the armor we clad the hunters in, so in the hands of a skilled warrior is more lethal that the traditional design.”
>
> review board - “you say it runs on plasma? what sort of reliability can we get from the power source?”
>
> mr blarg - “around 10 solid blows, before the energy field surrounding the plasma expires, automaticly shutting the weapon off for user safety. but due to the nature of the device, a single warrior can wield 2 simultaneously while having a supply of spares easily to hand.”
>
> review board - “well mr blarg, we are very impressed with your new addition to our military arsnel, and are pleased to inform you we have accepted your design. good day.”
>
> mr blarg - [while leaving the room, under his breath] "thank god they didnt ask if it could be blocked…"

Haha, that was very funny. Thanks.

I hated the sword block… If you tryed to block the sabre your arm would be sliced off simple.

Because that would make for poor gameplay.

If you want a canonical explanation, I’ll try, lol. It’s because a large enough shock to the Energy Sword causes its mechanism to fail. The sword has to maintain shape and power while being swung at and passing through an object; stopping it mid-swing is too much for the poor weapon to take. The reason you can still slice n’ dice otherwise without having to worry about the sword turning into nothing more than a cardboard tube is because there’s no force directed at it in the opposite direction. Using a melee to stop the sword makes it less effective for a short period of time.