if you are going to have a ranked system

have one that actually works. i am sick and tired of having completely uneven games every time i play arena. Arena is supposed to be the ranked playlist so i figure it would be safe to assume that that playlist would have the most even matches, but it seems the opposite happens every time and i end up either having me and my team completly destroyed or we completely destroy the other team. if arena actually ranked things correctly the games would be 50- somewhere in the 40s like they should be.

The population and trueskill weighing is too low for competitive matchups, with stricter trueskill matching you’d never find a match.

thats why i think all matches should be ranked that way its even or near even matches every time

> thats why i think all matches should be ranked that way its even or near even matches every time

I agree with this. Social playlists should not be a thing. All playlists should use TrueSkill matching to at least the degree that Halo 3 did – that is, far more than Reach.

I feel your pain OP, there simply is no way for players to know how they being paired up with those of similar skill and are expected to settle with the “It’s there but you can’t see it” counter. Really? I figure it’s not there half the time. Just searches up random players regardless of skill (good or bad) for the sake of speeding up search times ala COD.

Sometimes you get matched up with decent players but more often than not, you have team mates (and opponents) of questionable skill that is no where the sum of your own and your teammates (especially true if you and your friends are good). You can play this game for a long time in any given playlist that isn’t Hostball, AS, or Living Derp whatever and you still get matched up and against with slumber parties and bad kids.

It’s not about having the perfect game every time you search (that’s impossible) but the consistency and quality of matches in Reach leave much to be desired too. Perhaps the system IS there (doubtful but i digress since it is a possibility i am wrong) but thanks to low populations, the system cannot function properly. After all it the searches best possible matches and if there isn’t much to choose from, it would explain the abysmal pairings.

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not call out individuals. This includes forum members, moderators, administrators, and non-forum members.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

Quick! Hide your thread before -removed by moderator- gives you a lecture about how effective true skill is in Reach without actually providing proof!

Joking aside…

I feel your pain OP, there simply is no way for players to know how they being paired up with those of similar skill and are expected to settle with the “It’s there but you can’t see it” counter. Really? I figure it’s not there half the time. Just searches up random players regardless of skill (good or bad) for the sake of speeding up search times ala COD.

Sometimes you get matched up with decent players but more often than not, you have team mates (and opponents) of questionable skill that is no where the sum of your own and your teammates (especially true if you and your friends are good). You can play this game for a long time in any given playlist that isn’t Hostball, AS, or Living Derp whatever and you still get matched up and against with slumber parties and bad kids.

It’s not about having the perfect game every time you search (that’s impossible) but the consistency and quality of matches in Reach leave much to be desired too. Perhaps the system IS there (doubtful but i digress since it is a possibility i am wrong) but thanks to low populations, the system cannot function properly. After all it the searches best possible matches and if there isn’t much to choose from, it would explain the abysmal pairings.

True skill worked well for me in Halo 3, most 8 player games finished with less than 3 kills difference between first and 8th place. Made for a real fight though to win one you had to be hard at it the whole game.

> True skill worked well for me in Halo 3, most 8 player games finished with less than 3 kills difference between first and 8th place. Made for a real fight though to win one you had to be hard at it the whole game.

which is how it should be.

> > True skill worked well for me in Halo 3, most 8 player games finished with less than 3 kills difference between first and 8th place. Made for a real fight though to win one you had to be hard at it the whole game.
>
> which is how it should be.

The players in this Season of Arena have a different strategy to make the games easier for them to win. If the other team is winning simply host-boot one of their players…:
http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/gamestats.aspx?gameid=940476477&player=hHypno

Could just be a coincidence you know but it’s just funny how we were winning 15-10 then one of our players magically quits…

I would believe that if it hadn’t already happened to me 2 games prior to this one:
http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/gamestats.aspx?gameid=940432103&player=hHypno

Who is so bad that they have to cheat to win at a video game? Bad kids that’s right. They have fragile ego’s and refuse to accept that other people are better than them…

> have one that actually works. i am sick and tired of having completely uneven games every time i play arena. Arena is supposed to be the ranked playlist so i figure it would be safe to assume that that playlist would have the most even matches, but it seems the opposite happens every time and i end up either having me and my team completly destroyed or we completely destroy the other team. if arena actually ranked things correctly the games would be 50- somewhere in the 40s like they should be.

I took a quick look at your Arena game history. In your last 25 games, you have exactly 3 that finished with a kill margin greater than 15. Probably about half of them are less than 10, with the rest between 10 and 15. That sounds like it’s working to me.

Seriously, the system can only do so much. There are a lot of factors that go into how a Halo game plays out. Simply matching players of equal skill doesn’t guarantee that the game will play out evenly: one player might have a really great game and go +10, while another player might play very poorly and go -10, resulting in a lopsided score. There’s tons of variance in the levels of play of players from game to game, depending on things like maps and gametypes you are either good or bad at, or whether you mesh or conflict with the players on your team.

A better measure of how well the Arena TrueSkill is working would be your win %. Which, as I happened to check, is almost exactly 50%, just like you would expect it to be given a high proportion of evenly matched games. I think that this is a case of selective perception: you are simply remembering the games that frustrated you the most.

My personal experience in ranked Halo: Reach (Arena) has been much better than that of the previous Halo games in terms of even matching. Outside of Arena, it’s certainly not working that well, and I think careful consideration should be made by 343 to extending the Arena system to more playlists.

I’ve been having this problem a lot in MM. 80% of my games I can score 15 kills & 7-9 deaths, while the rest of my team is completely incapable of even getting a positive K/D spread. This really pisses me off and 20% of those games one person or the other three all quit out and leave me to fend for myself. Which leads to my biggest problem, I’m not going to sit around and die 30+ times so the game will end and waste 5 minutes doing it, so why the -Yoink- do I get banned from MM when the rest of my team quit out on me? Fix the -Yoinking!- MM system so I actually get people that are ranked near me and not +/-15 from my current rank. Thanks 343 you really -Yoinked!- this one up.

Arena’s population is too low to allow fair matches. If they made the search parameters any more strict you would be searching for days before you find a game. Blame Bungie for butchering a ranking system and leaving it that way, and 343 for not fixing it promptly.

> > thats why i think all matches should be ranked that way its even or near even matches every time
>
> I agree with this. Social playlists should not be a thing. All playlists should use TrueSkill matching to at least the degree that Halo 3 did – that is, far more than Reach.

They are not a thing. Raked and Social died with halo 3, yet no one seems to have noticed. The only place where people were supposed to hardcore stat -Yoink!- was Arena, all the rest was meant to just be played for the love of the game. But no, this just wasnt pro enough for a lot of people.

Agree that the trueskill and party matching needs to be tightened up atleast 5 levels now that the population is back up. I heard that selecting match by skill brings Reach up to H3s default level though.

Sure, a working true skill, a more strict but still invisible true skill for “social” and a visible rank for ranked with very, very strict true skill.
Add dedicated servers to remove host/connection, hence even if the population would be very low true skill could still be quite strict. Homefront is a great example that dedicated servers is 10x better then p2p.
Even when the population is low, much lower then Halo, you’ll find a game in 5-10 seconds, with at least 28 players (32 max) and no lag. If the teams are uneven, they’ll be re-balanced at the end of the game based on their performance (instant true skill). It makes sure every game is competitive, and it makes sure no team is badly balanced for more then 1 game.