If we see Locke's face, why not John's?

People argue that we shouldn’t see John’s face as we play as him as thus shouldn’t see his full face. However, we’ve seen Locke’s face, who we play as in Guardians. John is his own man who has his own personality and traits, and is a flawed person (all heroes need to be flawed to make them interesting). I seriously think it’s time we finally see John’s face as we’re in a time in gaming where the character is no longer the player, but they’re own person and the gamer is playing AS the character. So there’s no issue showing Locke’s face all the time and we played as him most of the Campaign, but showing John’s face is a problem? I’m actually more on the side of his full face finally being revealed. Do you agree?

No… We played as the arbiter back in halo 2 and 3 wasn’t an issue then, we played as many faceless marines in Halo wars, Halo Reach, Spartan Strike.

Its no longer about John being a featureless protagonist, its been almost 15 years. How is John taking his helmet for us to see his face going make the narrative better. There has been numerous reason given why he choices to stay fully suited much like the rest of his brothers in arms. Spartan II feel more at ease combat ready with boots on the ground. Chief not taking his helmet off has more character behind it then what you propose. After 30 years he changes his habits, why?

The point is Locke is of a different breed of Spartan. This is the point. being a Spartan hasn’t been lockes entire life, vs John who has felt at ease and protected by Mjolnir from the age of 14. John not taking his helmet off is the small detail. Again, what has changed to alter the established trait of Spartan IIs being at ease around others out of Armor. Even Naomi disliked being out of Armor.

And yes Locke is a character from the 2010s in which all superheroes run around unmasked and John is born of era of game development, where featureless character was a thing. If 343 wish to alienate more fans then they should go ahead and unmask him for their minute in the sun.

> 2533274830366691;2:
> No… We played as the arbiter back in halo 2 and 3 wasn’t an issue then, we played as many faceless marines in Halo wars, Halo Reach, Spartan Strike.
>
> Its no longer about John being a featureless protagonist, its been almost 15 years. How is John taking his helmet for us to see his face going make the narrative better. There has been numerous reason given why he choices to stay fully suited much like the rest of his brothers in arms. Spartan II feel more at ease combat ready with boots on the ground. Chief not taking his helmet off has more character behind it then what you propose. After 30 years he changes his habits, why?
>
> The point is Locke is of a different breed of Spartan. This is the point. being a Spartan hasn’t been lockes entire life, vs John who has felt at ease and protected by Mjolnir from the age of 14. John not taking his helmet off is the small detail. Again, what has changed to alter the established trait of Spartan IIs being at ease around others out of Armor. Even Naomi disliked being out of Armor.
>
> And yes Locke is a character from the 2010s in which all superheroes run around unmasked and John is born of era of game development, where featureless character was a thing. If 343 wish to alienate more fans then they should go ahead and unmask him for their minute in the sun.

This has to be the best and most thought out explanation for Chief not showing his face! Thank you Dirty Rascal!

Locke was built to be a character, John was built to be the player. And I think John still is the player, even tho he now has a character.

@OP Beat Legendary on H4, stick around.
Also, there’s two notions which 343i appear to be emphasizing:

  • John being more machine-like than man - Spartan IIs being gods among men, compared to S-IVs being the best of humanity.I ask you to reflect upon the story path taken at the end of Halo 4, where Lasky and Chief chat, and wherein you see, vaguely Lasky’s reflection in Chief’s visor. It could allude either to Chief being a shadow of a man, because of his history, or to Lasky being more of a man because of Chief.
    Further, I cite the in-universe fact that the UNSC honors the sacrifice of S-IV ny listing them as KIA, whereas S-II still abide by the MIA standard.

To also add to that John without showing his face to the players in the games adds that mystery to him. It allows people who are not immuresed into lore and the books to picture his features to look like they want and some people like that.

What Dirty Rascal said is pretty much on point.

I will add though that we’ve come this far without seeing his face that its almost tradition at this point to not show his face.

John’s face will never be revealed because he has no face, he is a ghost, a legend, his face would take souls of millions if revealed. Also, it was revealed in the Halo cartoon series

Dude I will be extremely upset if they show any more of his face. It would be AWKWARD. He’s been a masked hero and idol for many fans for years, don’t ruin that for the fans!!! I like that everybody gets to imagine something different, not be forced to see someone’s face that we never needed to see anyways.

Because Master Chief represents classic Halo and Locke represents the current state of shooters and video games in general.
Faceless, stoic, silent heroes are out of style, and Halo 5 is about examining the flaws and strengths of the past and the future.
Locke is the new modern spartan who saves the old one from his mistakes. Not to replace him, but to follow and support him. Master Chief’s helmet will stay on, but he’s on a larger team now, full of people who aren’t all like him. The contrast is important, as going forward everything about Halo seems to be about the conflict between modernity and history.

> 2533274840469109;1:
> People argue that we shouldn’t see John’s face as we play as him as thus shouldn’t see his full face. However, we’ve seen Locke’s face, who we play as in Guardians. John is his own man who has his own personality and traits, and is a flawed person (all heroes need to be flawed to make them interesting). I seriously think it’s time we finally see John’s face as we’re in a time in gaming where the character is no longer the player, but they’re own person and the gamer is playing AS the character. So there’s no issue showing Locke’s face all the time and we played as him most of the Campaign, but showing John’s face is a problem? I’m actually more on the side of his full face finally being revealed. Do you agree?

We see Locke’s face because he is a minor character compared to John. He’s only been in one game, and a movie. My point is that seeing Locke’s face doesn’t seem like a big deal compared seeing John’s face after 15 years. =)

The only time we will johns face is the moment before his death. He is selfless hero who does look for everyone to praise him. He is the true selfless hero.

I don’t think it is time to see his face, but maybe one day we will

Well firstly at his core John was meant to be a ruthless machine on the the battlefield that was a unit, not a soldier. The blankness of his visor, especially compared to other Spartans is there for a reason. Imo it is relatively flat and featureless to convey no emotions or details.
You know those parts when his heart absolutely shatters into a million pieces (normally interactions with cortana), well the blankess of his helmet helps so much to make those scenes so much more devastating.seeing the emotion on his face would kinda ruin it in my opinion.

On top of that, John is a legend, a ghost and of mythical ethereal. He doesnt have a face. and he does not need a face.

In all honesty I would be soooo heart broken if they showed his face. the little snippet at the end of Halo 4 was fine. but I think the only necessary time to show it, if they really had to, would be just as he’s about to die, like just for a second as he goes ‘MIA’ like a badass

If we ever have to see Chief remove his helmet, i hop he is facing away from the camera, so you only see the back of his head.

This video will help you with your problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqxBrcgtX-A

In Star Wars Episode IV-VI you don’t see Darth Vader’s face until his death. Think of Master Chief as the same way, we won’t see it until he dies, which never. Also, if you say we see Darth Vader’s face in Star Wars episodes I - III, then turn off your computer and don’t post anything until you reach a point of enlightenment.