If UNSC gets two rifles

Then its only fair the covenant 2 as well, carbine and needle rifle? something to counter the DMR’s range. I’d say give the forerunner another rifle but the light is awesome and covers all ranges :stuck_out_tongue:

I’d rather just tone it down to three or less rifles.

I agree with sir Ramir3z, I’d rather they bring down the amount of Rifles in the game. If it were my choice, I’d love to have the three be the BR, Needle Rifle and Light Rifle. While the DMR is cool and all, we already have a long range rifle (the Light Rifle), so it’s somewhat redundant.

As for the Carbine, I love it, but the Needle Rifle is a far more unique and interesting weapon. I remember the days when every weapon in Halo was different than the others and brought something interesting and unique to the table.

Now that we have three factions, thus three weapon sets, why not have each of their precision rifles be different than the others? The UNSC would have the mid-range burst weapon, the Covenant would have the medium-long ranged rifle with the supercombine feature, and the Forerunners would have the dual-mode long-ranged weapon.

Remember, more isn’t always better, especially in Halo.

> I agree with sir Ramir3z, I’d rather they bring down the amount of Rifles in the game. If it were my choice, I’d love to have the three be the BR, Needle Rifle and Light Rifle. While the DMR is cool and all, we already have a long range rifle (the Light Rifle), so it’s somewhat redundant.
>
> As for the Carbine, I love it, but the Needle Rifle is a far more unique and interesting weapon. I remember the days when every weapon in Halo was different than the others and brought something interesting and unique to the table.
>
> Now that we have three factions, thus three weapon sets, why not have each of their precision rifles be different than the others? The UNSC would have the mid-range burst weapon, the Covenant would have the medium-long ranged rifle with the supercombine feature, and the Forerunners would have the dual-mode long-ranged weapon.
>
> Remember, more isn’t always better, especially in Halo.

Carbine > Needle Rifle

> > I agree with sir Ramir3z, I’d rather they bring down the amount of Rifles in the game. If it were my choice, I’d love to have the three be the BR, Needle Rifle and Light Rifle. While the DMR is cool and all, we already have a long range rifle (the Light Rifle), so it’s somewhat redundant.
> >
> > As for the Carbine, I love it, but the Needle Rifle is a far more unique and interesting weapon. I remember the days when every weapon in Halo was different than the others and brought something interesting and unique to the table.
> >
> > Now that we have three factions, thus three weapon sets, why not have each of their precision rifles be different than the others? The UNSC would have the mid-range burst weapon, the Covenant would have the medium-long ranged rifle with the supercombine feature, and the Forerunners would have the dual-mode long-ranged weapon.
> >
> > Remember, more isn’t always better, especially in Halo.
>
> Carbine > Needle Rifle

To each their own. I’ve always found the Needle Rifle to be a much more interesting design, both physically and functionally. It fits more into the mysterious, futuristic and alien nature of Covenant weapons. I mean, just take a look at the Needler. How does it work? What makes the Needles track and explode? The Needle Rifle, using the same type of Needles, brings the sense sense of unknown to it.

The Carbine, on the other hand, is just a rather boring projectile weapon. Don’t get me wrong, I love the Carbine, it’s my go-to precision weapon in Halo 4, but I’d much rather have the Needle Rifle back instead.

What was the zoom on the NR? 2x right? Same as the Carbine. So balancing it with the Carbine would be a little tough since beyond that they are both single shot precision rifles. But I guess the NR does have the supercombine feature and is a bit more accurate before it starts blooming, though. Hmm…

Maybe if it were to come back give it a kill time equal to the BR. So still slower than the Carbine but with less shots to kill so it isn’t as difficult to use. And to counter the BR’s advantage of burst fire when it comes to bleed through and landing the final headshot, maybe make the super combine happen at 2 unshielded body shots. That way you either go with the BR and get easy headshots or go with the Needle Rifle and get easy clean up kills. I donno, I’m kind of just speculating here.

I’m generally against over saturating the Halo sandbox with weapons, but I did like the Needle Rifle – it was kind of unique. So I’m sure there is some way to balance it if it were to return.

> I’d rather just tone it down to three or less rifles.

This.

> What was the zoom on the NR? 2x right? Same as the Carbine. So balancing it with the Carbine would be a little tough since beyond that they are both single shot precision rifles. But I guess the NR does have the supercombine feature and is a bit more accurate before it starts blooming, though. Hmm…
>
> Maybe if it were to come back give it a kill time equal to the BR. So still slower than the Carbine but with less shots to kill so it isn’t as difficult to use. And to counter the BR’s advantage of burst fire when it comes to bleed through and landing the final headshot, maybe make the super combine happen at 2 unshielded body shots. That way you either go with the BR and get easy headshots or go with the Needle Rifle and get easy clean up kills. I donno, I’m kind of just speculating here.
>
> I’m generally against over saturating the Halo sandbox with weapons, but I did like the Needle Rifle – it was kind of unique. So I’m sure there is some way to balance it if it were to return.

The could alter the NR’s zoom level to balance it out along with altering several of it’s other features to make it balanced.

The Needle Rifle is awesome, and I would love for it to come back. Heck, I wouldn’t mind if it just replaced the Covenant Carbine. It’s not that I dislike the CC, but the NR is just far more cool.

I think 343 gave us two precision rifles because they wanted to please the old hands (BR) and the newer fans (DMR).

If you remove one your likely going to piss off that group of people.

However, there is a solution.
I thought what 343 did with the Light Rifle was interesting, having a 3 shot round from the hip, but a single shot when zoomed.

Maybe for the next Halo game, maybe 343 could combine the BR and the DMR in to a single weapon, like the LR?

> I think 343 gave us two precision rifles because they wanted to please the old hands (BR) and the newer fans (DMR).
>
> If you remove one your likely going to piss off that group of people.
>
> However, there is a solution.
> I thought what 343 did with the Light Rifle was interesting, having a 3 shot round from the hip, but a single shot when zoomed.
>
> Maybe for the next Halo game, maybe 343 could combine the BR and the DMR in to a single weapon, like the LR?

Then it ceases to be the BR and DMR and for it to be as good as both it would have to be OP so keeping them separate is better. Plus in doing so the light rifle wouldn’t have anything that unique about it.

In Halo 1, every weapon had a purpose. I would like to see a more expanded version of that.

> In Halo 1, every weapon had a purpose. I would like to see a more expanded version of that.

Each weapon in halo 4 fills a role.

> Each weapon in halo 4 fills a role.

I really don’t like Halo 4’s “every weapon has a different role” style. I’d prefer that every weapon has a different function. For exampe:

Light Rifle/DMR: Best at medium/long range
BR/Carbine: Best at close/medium range

Shock Rifle: low damage, high range
Assault Rifle: medium damage, medium range
Suppressor: high damage, low range

See, all of these weapons do the same thing and serve the same function, just at different ranges. It’s balanced, but balance doesn’t have to come at the expense of variety.

The Plasma Rifle’s function was different because it was able to easily strip shields, but wasn’t very effective against health. I’d like to see more weapons like that–weapons that are different in what they do, not the range they’re effective. Halo 4 doesn’t have very many unique non-power weapons.

> > Each weapon in halo 4 fills a role.
>
> I really don’t like Halo 4’s “every weapon has a different role” style. I’d prefer that every weapon has a different function. For exampe:
>
> Light Rifle/DMR: Best at medium/long range
> BR/Carbine: Best at close/medium range
>
> Shock Rifle: low damage, high range
> Assault Rifle: medium damage, medium range
> Suppressor: high damage, low range
>
> See, all of these weapons do the same thing and serve the same function, just at different ranges. It’s balanced, but balance doesn’t have to come at the expense of variety.
>
> The Plasma Rifle’s function was different because it was able to easily strip shields, but wasn’t very effective against health. I’d like to see more weapons like that–weapons that are different in what they do, not the range they’re effective. Halo 4 doesn’t have very many unique non-power weapons.

Thats what I basically meant???

The reason why halo 1’s sandbox felt so role based though is because the weapon variety is much smaller than the other halo games. This started to dilute in 2, and only got worse with each game.

Only so many roles can practically exist before things begin to feel too gimmicky.
h4 tried to fix this with having weapons within roles be good at different ranges. h4’s bullet magnetism and lack of descope really powered up the roles of long range weapons though.

The problem is I don’t think we could go back to that without ticking off virtually everyone (I’d be saddened myself). Its hard to take away things, especially since people expect new games to have new things.

> Thats what I basically meant???

I don’t know if you understood my post or not, so let me clarify.

Role is different from function. Every weapon in Halo 4 has a different role, and those roles depend on its effective range.

BR, DMR, LR, and Carbine all have different roles, but have the same function: precision rifle.

AR, SR, and Suppressor all have different roles, but have the same function: automatic rifle.

So Halo 4 has a variety of weapons and roles, but lacks a variety of functions.

> > Thats what I basically meant???
>
> I don’t know if you understood my post or not, so let me clarify.
>
> Role is different from function. Every weapon in Halo 4 has a different role, and those roles depend on its effective range.
>
> BR, DMR, LR, and Carbine all have different roles, but have the same function.
>
> AR, SR, and Suppressor all have different roles, but have the same function.
>
> So Halo 4 has a variety of weapons and roles, but lacks a variety of functions.

BR is burst fire, DMR is semi auto, light rifle is both

AR and suppressor are roughly the same but their range, accuracy, spread and kill tome vary and the SR is better at taking down shields and has a cool take down

They all have different functions overall and this along with their roles helps keep balance and variety.

> BR is burst fire, DMR is semi auto, light rifle is both

But there’s no difference in how you use them, save the range.

> AR and suppressor are roughly the same but their range, accuracy, spread and kill tome vary and the SR is better at taking down shields and has a cool take down
>
> They all have different functions overall and this along with their roles helps keep balance and variety.

In a BR vs. DMR battle, both weapons are used exactly the same. In a AR vs. Suppressor battle, both weapons are used exactly the same.

> > BR is burst fire, DMR is semi auto, light rifle is both
>
> But there’s no difference in how you use them, save the range
>
> Thats the point it keeps them unique since you will use one over the other at certain ranges.
>
>
> > AR and suppressor are roughly the same but their range, accuracy, spread and kill tome vary and the SR is better at taking down shields and has a cool take down
> >
> > They all have different functions overall and this along with their roles helps keep balance and variety.
>
> In a BR vs. DMR battle, both weapons are used exactly the same. In a AR vs. Suppressor battle, both weapons are used exactly the same.

Thats the reason for them having different range and they have different strengths and weaknesses thus making them highly different other than they shoot like one another