If they had to do a split release of MP/Campaign

(Hypothetically) Which one would you want released 1st?
I’d have to go Campaign

Neither. That’s an absolutely atrocious idea and would forever destroy the Halo IP.

Halo 5 was bad enough launching without certain core aspects from previous games. Launching without campaign or multiplayer would be catastrophic.

343i would have to simply delay the game. That’s the only acceptable action they could take.

> 2533274935834633;2:
> Neither. That’s an absolutely atrocious idea and would forever destroy the Halo IP.
>
> Halo 5 was bad enough launching without certain core aspects from previous games. Launching without campaign or multiplayer would be catastrophic.
>
> 343i would have to simply delay the game. That’s the only acceptable action they could take.

I wholeheartedly agree, it was more a dive into what would you sacrifice if you had to (for the short term)

> 2533274792346151;3:
> > 2533274935834633;2:
> > Neither. That’s an absolutely atrocious idea and would forever destroy the Halo IP.
> >
> > Halo 5 was bad enough launching without certain core aspects from previous games. Launching without campaign or multiplayer would be catastrophic.
> >
> > 343i would have to simply delay the game. That’s the only acceptable action they could take.
>
> I wholeheartedly agree, it was more a dive into what would you sacrifice if you had to (for the short term)

Honestly, I don’t really consider it a valid question because there’s no reasonable justification for launching the game without one or the other. That’s like a car salesman asking you if you’d rather your new car come with an engine or tires. Both are integral to the whole.

Now, if you rephrased the question to “if you’re only allowed to play campaign or multiplayer for one month after purchase, which would you choose?”, then I would consider that reasonable.

Any my answer would be campaign.

I wouldn’t go quite so far as to say that it’d completely destroy the Halo IP to do this (Sonic outlived Sega proper, for example, and even if MS/Xbox flunks out of gaming, I forsee we would still have decades of diminishing Halo returns to suffer through on other platforms), but it’d be a massive kneecap to the Series X launch and the reputation Xbox as a brand has been kicking and screaming to restore to any value since the atrocious Xbox One launch in '13.

MS and 343i can’t afford to release this game and have it feel like a half baked potato. It’s only slight hyperbole to say that this has to be the level of quality exclusive that CE and H2 were on the OG Xbox-- assuming that Playstation keeps the hits coming like they’ve been in the past handful of years (Last of Us Part 2 doesn’t look up to snuff, but God of War 2 and Spider-Man 2 are as close to “can’t misses” as I can imagine at this point).

Xbox needs more quality exclusives, and MS acquiring a ton of studios will hopefully help with that. But Halo in particular needs to rise back above this polarizing state it’s been in since Bungie bailed out and get people (not just us diehards) excited about it again.

Splitting the MP and Campaign releases would go down as a monumental “Oof.” I’m not kidding at all when I say I think that delaying the entire game a year plus to prevent that situation is preferable. H3 wasn’t ready to launch alongside the 360, and thank God they didn’t try to force it to.

I have to agree with others when I say that I want neither released without the other. If the game can’t be released complete, it should either be delayed or cancelled.

> 2533274792346151;1:
> (Hypothetically) Which one would you want released 1st?
> I’d have to go Campaign

For me it would have to be the campaign. I don’t touch the multiplayer until I have at least one run through under my belt. As always, others will opt for multiplayer and I have friends that play that first day one.

I prefer campaign by far. I have a good connection for downloading things, but hit detection is pretty bad in the city I live in, so competitive multiplayer is always second or third in importance. The frustration of hitting a player, and 25% of the time you do no damage, doesn’t make it worth it. Co-op modes are great for people like me, but still second to a good campaign. I really hope 343 goes all out for the single player. I’d kill for a campaign as long, and good, as Halo CE and 2 combined.

> 2533274935834633;2:
> Neither. That’s an absolutely atrocious idea and would forever destroy the Halo IP.
>
> Halo 5 was bad enough launching without certain core aspects from previous games. Launching without campaign or multiplayer would be catastrophic.
>
> 343i would have to simply delay the game. That’s the only acceptable action they could take.

This.

I hope the rumor going around about this topic is just that: a rumor. It would be a stupid thing to do on a level rarely seen in gaming. Hypothetically speaking: if COVID-19 means they have one of both aspects ready for the intended launch I’d still rather see them postpone the launch of the game. Can’t play Halo without multiplayer…and lets face it you’ll finish the campaign in about 10 hours or under. What would you play after? And Halo without campaign at first is also just an empty shell.

I would want MP first as I’ve been craving a good arena shooter for a long time now, whereas on the campaign side of things I also really want to play that but there’s a ton of good SP games to play as well so the wait isn’t nearly as bad for me. Also the campaign will probably be beatable within a day if it’s like past entries, MP offers way more replayability.

Releasing one without the other sounds like a horrible idea, but if i had to pick (assuming the other comes within a few months) i’d pick campaign/coop.

It makes no sense to have players learning about weapons/equipment/abilities/vehicles/maps before there is a chance for players to encounter them through the campaign. In fact, there’s a good chance that spoilers would be contained within the multiplayer if it released months earlier than campaign.

Releasing campaign first give players a chance to go through the story/tutorial, get a feel for the mechanics and all that, without spoilers. If the game is like destiny, with an open world, then this could satisfy players for a month or so, but there would still be outrage by the community, no doubt.

> 2533274935834633;4:
> > 2533274792346151;3:
> > > 2533274935834633;2:
> > > Neither. That’s an absolutely atrocious idea and would forever destroy the Halo IP.
> > >
> > > Halo 5 was bad enough launching without certain core aspects from previous games. Launching without campaign or multiplayer would be catastrophic.
> > >
> > > 343i would have to simply delay the game. That’s the only acceptable action they could take.
> >
> > I wholeheartedly agree, it was more a dive into what would you sacrifice if you had to (for the short term)
>
> Honestly, I don’t really consider it a valid question because there’s no reasonable justification for launching the game without one or the other. That’s like a car salesman asking you if you’d rather your new car come with an engine or tires. Both are integral to the whole.
>
> Now, if you rephrased the question to “if you’re only allowed to play campaign or multiplayer for one month after purchase, which would you choose?”, then I would consider that reasonable.
>
> Any my answer would be campaign.

Totally on your site

This would never happen. Halo is Xbox’s most important franchise by a long shot. Between that and releasing the game alongside the new console, there is too much riding on the line here to botch things by pulling something like splitting the release of campaign and MP.

On a related topic, I always play campaign first. Usually do a first run on Heroic so I can enjoy the game at a comfortable pace, soaking in everything in the levels. After checking out MP for a bit I will go back and revisit campaign on solo legendary. I personally never do that first as my play style with legendary is much different. At that point - it’s more about the challenge and finding ways to play the game “smart” vs. taking my time with every enemy engagement.

Hypothetically I’d say Multiplayer. As horrible as this thought is at least with Multiplayer there’s more replay value for the period of time before campaign releases.

> 2535425271455392;6:
> I have to agree with others when I say that I want neither released without the other. If the game can’t be released complete, it should either be delayed or cancelled.

I agree with most people above. I’d rather it be delayed than a one or the other type of deal. Microsoft and 343i both can’t afford it.

I would want them to just delay it at that point. If there was absolutely no choice, release CP.

To be honest, don’t release the game until it is finalized and complete.

However multiplayer does “release” earlier than campaign or the entire game already, in the form of flights and BETA testing. Just allowing players this experience, offers the development team further “research” and “patching” time for the full release.