If the flood return

If the flood return to Halo there should be at least a gory cutscene to put fear back into the player

> 2533274862204506;1:
> If the flood return to Halo there should be at least a gory cutscene to put fear back into the player

I mean yeah but no.
I see where you are coming from but I feel like too much gore feels out of place in Halo, the concept of the flood is scary enough as is. They can make the introduction freaky, scary and even horror-like with less gore to get the same point across in a way that feels almost existential.

No offense. But that may be the kind of small mindlessness that is ruining Halo. When you say the concept of the flood is scary enough. Is setting a limit when we both know the flood can be way more scary than it ever was 343 needs to re-implement everything cuz nothing has gone well for them and putting the flood back in the game would be a great step but implementing that fear of the flood. would make people respect the 343 flood as a great enemy for The Master Chief.

You don’t need gore to make something scary or fear something.

> 2533274882881665;2:
> the concept of the flood is scary enough as is. They can make the introduction freaky, scary and even horror-like with less gore to get the same point across in a way that feels almost existential.

That’s true, but Halo 3’s live Flood infections during Floodgate really upped the fear factor for me (and many others, I’m assuming). Until that mission, we’d only seen them infect corpses in-game, and there’s something genuinely terrifying about watching how painful the infection process is.

> 2533274809226598;4:
> You don’t need gore to make something scary or fear something.

I don’t think it’s so much about “gore = scary”, but rather having a visual representation of something that’s already a horrifying thought. At least that’s what is for me—I can’t speak for the op.

If they can up the detail on the infecting then yeah I say go for it but if something limits them (like microsoft keeping rated 16) then gore shouldn’t be a focus point. Personally I love the floor but I never really found the fun to engage with. HCE they were pretty bland and H2 they sorta become partial bullet sponges. H3 they become way to easy to deal with even on legendary (H3 definitely easiest halo but still one of my favs). I want to see massive gameplay upgrades and more variations that do unique things

I think gore can add to the scare factor, but it shouldn’t be the only thing. behaviour is at least as important. so i think the most important part (if flood are reintroduced) is, the way they are implemented in the game and their behavieur.
[a quick idea, but not thought through: maybe have them added to some level, like the zombies in left4dead. they spawn random with a script in the background to determin when and were and how many and what kind of floods would spawn. then the level could be filled with other AIs, marines and covenant and they could get infected. maybe influence later levels depending on the amount of flood killed / AIs saved in a level or by reaching side objectives, but don’t make it a grind. the flood should be a thread hanging over every level they are in and hanging over the entire campaign (if reintroduced)]

> 2533274882881665;2:
> > 2533274862204506;1:
> > If the flood return to Halo there should be at least a gory cutscene to put fear back into the player
>
> I mean yeah but no.
> I see where you are coming from but I feel like too much gore feels out of place in Halo, the concept of the flood is scary enough as is. They can make the introduction freaky, scary and even horror-like with less gore to get the same point across in a way that feels almost existential.

Yeah dude, no. The flood were originally were always a gore centered character species. They pop and explode, they break open bodies with human and alien heads dangling from them with tentacles shooting out of eyes. They’re supposed to be the true horror and brutality side of halo. I wouldn’t mind them taking it to the next level, especially since halo 4’s representation of them was plastic doll weird highpitch screaming disaster

> 2533275011754615;8:
> Yeah dude, no. The flood were originally were always a gore centered character species. They pop and explode, they break open bodies with human and alien heads dangling from them with tentacles shooting out of eyes. They’re supposed to be the true horror and brutality side of halo. I wouldn’t mind them taking it to the next level, especially since halo 4’s representation of them was plastic doll weird highpitch screaming disaster

> 2533274862204506;3:
> No offense. But that may be the kind of small mindlessness that is ruining Halo. When you say the concept of the flood is scary enough. Is setting a limit when we both know the flood can be way more scary than it ever was 343 needs to re-implement everything cuz nothing has gone well for them and putting the flood back in the game would be a great step but implementing that fear of the flood. would make people respect the 343 flood as a great enemy for The Master Chief.

I think I shot and missed my target here. The flood are a giant, almost lovecraftian intelligent disease which can wipe out the galaxy in an incredibly short time. Blunt gore in the style of traditional horror does not fit the kind of horror that the flood represent.

They aren’t zombies in the traditional form, they are too smart, too huge and too significant to be that. If you followed standard zombie gore that wouldn’t have any sort of significant impact because that is exactly what anyone would expect. Tentacle eyes, popping and other body horror is already part of the flood, it will be inevitably animated in future games. “Zombie Gore” wouldn’t be out of place for the flood; but it would be unusual for Halo and in the end is just a mix of cliché and controversy.

You can’t really make the flood follow any other kind of horror becuase, well, they are a horde. Give them the brutality of horror villians you get some “ooos” and “ahhs” but that’s it. Give them jump scares, then well done you’ve done nothing. It doesn’t show the sheer scale and threat of the flood. I feel the best way to making the flood scary and terrifying is to defy expectations and cliché. Instead of focusing on the obvious gore and body horror of the flood from the games and described in the detail you guys want from the Mona Lisa, the games should focus on showing what the flood can actually do:
Show that Humans, Elites, the entire concept of life is petty and incredibly insignificant to the Flood in the long term. They don’t kill because they are evil, they squish us like ants. We are just annoying and in the way of their far more massive existence that is not comprehensible for anyone to understand.

Are you getting what I mean?

The flood needs to return and I agree… make it gory return!

> 2533274882881665;9:
> > 2533275011754615;8:
> > Yeah dude, no. The flood were originally were always a gore centered character species. They pop and explode, they break open bodies with human and alien heads dangling from them with tentacles shooting out of eyes. They’re supposed to be the true horror and brutality side of halo. I wouldn’t mind them taking it to the next level, especially since halo 4’s representation of them was plastic doll weird highpitch screaming disaster
>
>
>
> > 2533274862204506;3:
> > No offense. But that may be the kind of small mindlessness that is ruining Halo. When you say the concept of the flood is scary enough. Is setting a limit when we both know the flood can be way more scary than it ever was 343 needs to re-implement everything cuz nothing has gone well for them and putting the flood back in the game would be a great step but implementing that fear of the flood. would make people respect the 343 flood as a great enemy for The Master Chief.
>
> I think I shot and missed my target here. The flood are a giant, almost lovecraftian intelligent disease which can wipe out the galaxy in an incredibly short time. Blunt gore in the style of traditional horror does not fit the kind of horror that the flood represent.
>
> They aren’t zombies in the traditional form, they are too smart, too huge and too significant to be that. If you followed standard zombie gore that wouldn’t have any sort of significant impact because that is exactly what anyone would expect. Tentacle eyes, popping and other body horror is already part of the flood, it will be inevitably animated in future games. “Zombie Gore” wouldn’t be out of place for the flood; but it would be unusual for Halo and in the end is just a mix of cliché and controversy.
>
> You can’t really make the flood follow any other kind of horror becuase, well, they are a horde. Give them the brutality of horror villians you get some “ooos” and “ahhs” but that’s it. Give them jump scares, then well done you’ve done nothing. It doesn’t show the sheer scale and threat of the flood. I feel the best way to making the flood scary and terrifying is to defy expectations and cliché. Instead of focusing on the obvious gore and body horror of the flood from the games and described in the detail you guys want from the Mona Lisa, the games should focus on showing what the flood can actually do:
> Show that Humans, Elites, the entire concept of life is petty and incredibly insignificant to the Flood in the long term. They don’t kill because they are evil, they squish us like ants. We are just annoying and in the way of their far more massive existence that is not comprehensible for anyone to understand.
>
> Are you getting what I mean?

I think a zombie may have ate your brain. All I’m asking for is a cutscene where we see the flood turning a human or elite or brute or grunt or jackal you watch the flood turn it’s victim as in the master chief comes with a shotgun and blows its head off. Or what if they bring the Flood Stalker back if that thing came down from the ceiling and ripped a Marines head off I would die of fear.

Guess we gotta go down the ‘agree to disagree’ path on this one. Fun chat though.