If other developers pulled what 343 is doing...

<mark>This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructuve posts.</mark>

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

Imagine the backlash Elder Scrolls would get if Bethesda removed all weapons and spells from the game, except for a few daggers, and a healing spell.
You’d say, “where’s the swords, axes, fireball or electricity spells?”
Then Bethesda replies with, “Oh don’t worry, you can now change the skins on your daggers and the game is now 60 FPS.”
What about if a new Burnout game comes out and Criterion Games announce that there will be three cars in the game, but don’t worry, you can change the cars’ skins, and also the game is 60 FPS!
What if Valve announces Portal 3, and they say that the portal gun now only shoots hotdogs.
The point I’m making here is that 343 is literally taking out MAIN features of a standard Halo game. Armor customization is absolutely atrocious in H5. No splitscreen or LAN. What is this, a joke?
The lack of Armor customization is really what kills it for me. For anyone who says not to worry, there will be countless amounts of armor sets and skins. So? It doesn’t matter, all you can change is your helmet and body, so what would more armor sets do. You only have 2 choices. There could be thousands of armor sets, but guess what? You can only choose 2, and then slap a skin on to it lol.

So going from complaining about Chief’s fingertips to complaining about splitscreen and armor customization? That’s quite the leap.

But yeah less armor customization and splitscreen play sucks, but at least the latter has the possibility of coming back post-launch.

Ok, here we go…

Alright OP, first off, there is already a split screen thread. Feel free to post there because you can’t make separate threads about it. There’s an official thread for a reason, to keep clutter to a minimum.

Secondly, Armor customization is limited to Body, Helmet and Visor. This is done on purpose to focus 343i on the amount of different options they can create for Helmet/Body/Visor. Instead of having to make 50 different Helmets, Bodies, Visors, Shoulders, Legs, Leg Pouch, Wrist, Armor Effect, they can easily make 100+ or more because they’re only focused on making sets of Bodies and Helmets.

They don’t have to worry about collision with different models, or different textures, or aesthetic look/flow between one shoulder piece and a chest piece, etc.

So you tell me… Would you rather have a limited amount of customization but more options, or a lot of customization but less options to choose from?

Lastly there is this:

> 2533274858277987;1:
> There could be thousands of armor sets, but guess what? You can only choose 2, and then slap a skin on to it lol.

Regardless of how many armor sets there are, you can only wear one at a time. At least this way they’re making lots of different armor sets instead of just changing colour lines on it.

Here’s the thing though: In a multiplayer match, the only thing you’ll ever notice is the helmet. Armor looks great don’t get me wrong but whenever I play Halo online the only thing I ever actual notice is the helmet of the enemy and allies. Why? Because you can’t just stop firing in a game to admire the armor of the enemy. You can look at the corpse sure, but for the most part you will only ever notice the helmet because that’s where you’ll be shooting your gun at.

Dear diary,
Today I saw a pwetty cat and it was soft.
Also, I’m dissatisfied with Halo 5’s armor customization.

There’s plenty of ways to leave constructive criticism, but writing them out as complaints comparing Halo to Burnout (Burnout?!? srsly?!?), Portal, and Elder Scrolls won’t solve anything. Those are very different games. I don’t even think Burnout or Elder Scrolls have split-screen, so comparing them to Halo and then complaining about that seems ludicrous. Sounds like you won’t be playing H5, that’s a shame. What I’m saying is, just please try to be a little more constructive with your criticism.

None of those change gameplay, 99% of the population still play online mostly online. More customization to everything else in the game weapons, vehicles, and stances. Splitscreen…let’s be real here, Destiny, GTA5, and COD don’t have splitscreen and they’re always the top 3. If you wanted to play with your friends you had to have bought those games with a system.

Your comparisons are not even good… way different things…

> 2533274858277987;1:
> The lack of Armor customization is really what kills it for me. For anyone who says not to worry, there will be countless amounts of armor sets and skins. So? It doesn’t matter, all you can change is your helmet and body, so what would more armor sets do. You only have 2 choices. There could be thousands of armor sets, but guess what? You can only choose 2, and then slap a skin on to it lol.

So what, you can’t change the shoulder armor now? That’s the biggest deal ever? And this is coming from someone who religiously takes screenshots and values customization quite a bit, but not being able to have asymmetrical shoulders? Having to use shoulder armor that actually matches the torso? That’s not a big loss considering how atrocious a lot of peoples’ Spartans looked in Reach and Halo 4. Prefect shoulders on Mark V torso? Red & Green colors with a neon yellow visor? What is this, disco Christmas?

> 2533274858277987;1:
> What if Valve announces Portal 3, and they say that the portal gun now only shoots hotdogs.

That would be amazing and you are a genius.

> 2533274858277987;1:
> The point I’m making here is that 343 is literally taking out MAIN features of a standard Halo game.

Can you figuratively take out main features of a game or something? Why is “literally” literally used to express literally everything? lol

> 2533274858277987;1:
> Imagine the backlash Elder Scrolls would get if Bethesda removed all weapons and spells from the game, except for a few daggers, and a healing spell.
> You’d say, “where’s the swords, axes, fireball or electricity spells?”
> Then Bethesda replies with, “Oh don’t worry, you can now change the skins on your daggers and the game is now 60 FPS.”
>
> What about if a new Burnout game comes out and Criterion Games announce that there will be three cars in the game, but don’t worry, you can change the cars’ skins, and also the game is 60 FPS!
>
> What if Valve announces Portal 3, and they say that the portal gun now only shoots hotdogs.
>
> The point I’m making here is that 343 is literally taking out MAIN features of a standard Halo game. Armor customization is absolutely atrocious in H5. No splitscreen or LAN. What is this, a joke?
>
> The lack of Armor customization is really what kills it for me. For anyone who says not to worry, there will be countless amounts of armor sets and skins. So? It doesn’t matter, all you can change is your helmet and body, so what would more armor sets do. You only have 2 choices. There could be thousands of armor sets, but guess what? You can only choose 2, and then slap a skin on to it lol.

Sadly I agree with you but there’s nothing we can do to get 343i to do what the core fan base wants since they’ve haven’t really been listening much since they took over.

> 2533274829873463;9:
> > 2533274858277987;1:
> > OP- removed for brevity
>
>
> Sadly I agree with you but there’s nothing we can do to get 343i to do what the core fan base wants since they’ve haven’t really been listening much since they took over.

Just because you want something doesn’t mean you can claim your opinions represent the “core fan base”… whatever that is. 343i listens to feedback quite well in my opinion, and H5 is shaping up to be their flavor of Halo inspired by community feedback. The way it should be.

> 2533274803493024;10:
> > 2533274829873463;9:
> > > 2533274858277987;1:
> > > OP- removed for brevity
> >
> >
> > Sadly I agree with you but there’s nothing we can do to get 343i to do what the core fan base wants since they’ve haven’t really been listening much since they took over.
>
>
> Just because you want something doesn’t mean you can claim your opinions represent the “core fan base”… whatever that is. 343i listens to feedback quite well in my opinion, and H5 is shaping up to be their flavor of Halo inspired by community feedback. The way it should be.

Me?, several threads on things like spilt-screen, playable elites by most of the community are doing that themselves. The core fan-base doesn’t need just 1 person to speak for the community because they are already doing. 343i is NOT listening to most of the feedback, not making the right changes which is why Halo 5 is getting so much hate. You’re NOT the entire community and yet the actual majority of community are getting tired of features being removed like armour customisation.

Dude, its purely cosmetic.

What a weak comparison…

Lol comparing Skyrim removing weapons and spells, to Halo removing old features. A) LAN is a by product of the entire console, not just one game. B) Instead of removing combat options, they are giving you more. Which counterargues your entire original post. Lastly, taking away game modes is not the main part of the game. Id argue that shooting is the main part of a Halo game, but for sure, two people on one small screen is more important than shooting in a First Person Shooter.

> 2533274829873463;11:
> > 2533274803493024;10:
> > > 2533274829873463;9:
> > > > 2533274858277987;1:
> > > > OP- removed for brevity
> > >
> > >
> > > Sadly I agree with you but there’s nothing we can do to get 343i to do what the core fan base wants since they’ve haven’t really been listening much since they took over.
> >
> >
> > Just because you want something doesn’t mean you can claim your opinions represent the “core fan base”… whatever that is. 343i listens to feedback quite well in my opinion, and H5 is shaping up to be their flavor of Halo inspired by community feedback. The way it should be.
>
>
> Me?, several threads on things like spilt-screen, playable elites by most of the community are doing that themselves. The core fan-base doesn’t need just 1 person to speak for the community because they are already doing. 343i is NOT listening to most of the feedback, not making the right changes which is why Halo 5 is getting so much hate. You’re NOT the entire community and yet the actual majority of community are getting tired of features being removed like armour customisation.

At the very least with splitscreen they know there is demand and have kept the possibility of it being added post-launch. They didn’t have a “-Yoink- those people, ha ha ha ha!” attitude about it.

“If other developers pulled what 343 is pulling”…

You mean communicating with their fanbase via frequent blog posts and community updates? Getting a pro team to help with the PvP design? Creating threads to gather questions so they can answer them directly in future blog posts? Giving us a brand new multiplayer mode that appeals to all kinds of players? Inserting microtransactions in a way that is harmless to balanced gameplay and allows for free DLC? Creating ViDocs showing how the game is made and how hurdles pop up and are subsequently overcome? Delivering a steady stream of supplementary extended universe material to help players and lore-fiends enjoy the games even more? Create ARGs to build up suspense and hype for the next game while delivering some great narrative? Optimizing the game for 60 FPS? Building the campaign around the concept 4-player co-op?

Yeah, OP, if other developers pulled what 343 is pulling, we’d have a much better video game industry as a whole.

While you’re complaining about things 343 has removed (and justifiably so), I’m complaining about things they’ve added.
I’m so sad that this isn’t going to be the game that returns Halo to its glory days. It’s just going to be another decent shooter, as opposed to the next life-changing Halo game.

You’re just complaining for the sake of complaining at this point. Halo 5 has more stuff than any Halo before it. Split-screen has nothing to do with in-game objects, so the game comparisons you made were redundant.

> 2717573882290994;17:
> While you’re complaining about things 343 has removed (and justifiably so), I’m complaining about things they’ve added.
> I’m so sad that this isn’t going to be the game that returns Halo to its glory days. It’s just going to be another decent shooter, as opposed to the next life-changing Halo game.

As personal opinion I hope. A lot of people on these forums see the next big Halo game, not just some decent shooter. Halo has not, and never will be, just “some decent shooter”

> 2533274858277987;1:
> Imagine the backlash Elder Scrolls would get if Bethesda removed all weapons and spells from the game, except for a few daggers, and a healing spell.
> You’d say, “where’s the swords, axes, fireball or electricity spells?”
> Then Bethesda replies with, “Oh don’t worry, you can now change the skins on your daggers and the game is now 60 FPS.”
>
> What about if a new Burnout game comes out and Criterion Games announce that there will be three cars in the game, but don’t worry, you can change the cars’ skins, and also the game is 60 FPS!
>
>
> The point I’m making here is that 343 is literally taking out MAIN features of a standard Halo game. Armor customization is absolutely atrocious in H5. No splitscreen or LAN. What is this, a joke?
>

aliens