If MC Dies... Let the player be the new hero.

So, I have read in a few places that MC is going to die in Infinite. Personally Id rather him drift off in space like it should have ended his saga in Halo 3… HMM…
BUT, I would not mind that happening, and then the DLC continuing introducing a new HERO (the player) and being able to use the players own Spartan (like Halo Reach) to add more DLC for the Story, and give the player more use out of their own Spartan.

AND if not MC dying, and he sticks around. Then I personally would love to see DLC like Spartan Ops, but done well… more story depth, but doing missions as the players created Spartan… that is what I liked most about Spartan Ops, getting to be my own Spartan in a Semi-Story. Since that is nearly 9 years old, and by the time Infinite launches, probably will be 9 years old, I think you guys know what they community would not want to see if you re-implemented something like Spartan Ops.

You know, no more “Clear the Remaining Enemies” and do not recycle already seen locations SO DANG MUCH… it did get old, and those 2 things are the 2 constant things I see when I bring up Spartan Ops of things people disliked about it.

But back to my main point. Other than Forge and PvP… I hope there is DLC, Firefight, Something like Spartan Ops… and other PvE modes (co-op modes too, not just solo stuff) for US (the players) to be our own Spartan In. It is cool being MC… but I prefer being my own Spartan. and with the customizations I have seen thus far, armor wise, I would love to be my own Spartan In a Story (could be a DLC, since they said they want to do 10 years of DLC… which tbh I find ridiculous, 5 years is a better target - 10 years do not really last for most games, but it is not impossible, and I would not mind more content until 2032 for Halo Infinite, could be cool).

I hope 343 does not kill the Master Chief. I have said it before, but Jon-117 is the Mario and Link of this franchise. He should most certainly not die.

If we learned anything from Halo 5’s campaign, it’s that Halo dies if MC dies.

I have no idea why anyone thinks the Master Chief is going to die anytime soon, it’s incredibly silly. That said, Steve Downes isn’t getting younger and fans need to be prepared for the idea that Halo may have a new hero at some point if the franchise continues.

My personal preference for retiring the character would be for him to be promoted (with special exemptions extended to all of the S-II’s due to their being conscripted) into a General or some such…
Or becoming a project leader/trainer, in a roll like Mendez, with future Spartans.
That way his arc can come full circle, in a way, with him leading/creating more Spartans, or soldiers in general, himself. He’s honoured as a character in that way, he’s still around in the universe, but they don’t need to keep utilising him as the games driving character.
And I feel most fans would respect that kind of method of retiring him from the limelight.

Ahh the good old " Master Chief is going to die " before every new halo game release is just hilarious.

John will of course not die. But sooner or later another person must take his place, especially cause the voice behind the Chief is getting older.

Personally I would’nt have a problem with an Halo 3 kinda ending for the Chief where he was “lost” in space, and Jerome and his Team, especially Jerome himself, take the place of MC

> 2533274812652989;4:
> Steve Downes isn’t getting younger and fans need to be prepared for the idea that Halo may have a new hero at some point if the franchise continues.

As upsetting as this is, the day we lose Steve Downes will be a very sad day for millions of Halo fans, me included, It would be very interesting to play a Halo game as Jermoe 092, the leader of Red team aboard the Spirit of Fire.

I also hope that they don’t kill off Master Chief and instead put him back in the freezer, a Halo 3 homage.

> 2533274812652989;4:
> I have no idea why anyone thinks the Master Chief is going to die anytime soon, it’s incredibly silly. That said, Steve Downes isn’t getting younger and fans need to be prepared for the idea that Halo may have a new hero at some point if the franchise continues.

and, Chief mentions in Shadows of Reach that he’d like to do diplomatic work

> 2533274861263132;7:
> John will of course not die. But sooner or later another person must take his place, especially cause the voice behind the Chief is getting older.
>
> Personally I would’nt have a problem with an Halo 3 kinda ending for the Chief where he was “lost” in space, and Jerome and his Team, especially Jerome himself, take the place of MC

jerome is the same age as chief but his time in cryo makes him like 30 years younger. A reunion would be cool

By the rings, this heresy is too much!

Being honest, the torch needs to be passed to another character at some point. Otherwise, the universe will not be able to properly expand in the main line games. It’s nice to explore it in books and other media, but honestly, Master Chief really only serves the purpose of railroading the story and making it difficult to world build in regards to the games.

Noble Six carried Reach just fine alongside Noble Team. The series doesn’t “need” him as much as hardcore Chief fans seem to believe. I don’t particularly hate him as a character, despite him being the written equivalent of a plain tortilla chip, but him maintaining center stage like this is going to hurt the series in terms of writing if it continues on for too long. Especially if they intend to keep this game as a live service for a decade.

The tenth DLC, I see it now, Halo Infinite: Geriatrics.

> 2533274850720194;12:
> Being honest, the torch needs to be passed to another character at some point. Otherwise, the universe will not be able to properly expand in the main line games. It’s nice to explore it in books and other media, but honestly, Master Chief really only serves the purpose of railroading the story and making it difficult to world build in regards to the games.
>
> Noble Six carried Reach just fine alongside Noble Team. The series doesn’t “need” him as much as hardcore Chief fans seem to believe. I don’t particularly hate him as a character, despite him being the written equivalent of a plain tortilla chip, but him maintaining center stage like this is going to hurt the series in terms of writing if it continues on for too long. Especially if they intend to keep this game as a live service for a decade.
>
> The tenth DLC, I see it now, Halo Infinite: Geriatrics.

I think all we want is 1 or 2 more great games with Chief. But honestly, they could kill him off well in Infinite. But hell, even thinking about Chief dying makes me wanna cry manly tears and my frail masculinity can’t handle it. xD

> 2535421108515819;3:
> If we learned anything from Halo 5’s campaign, it’s that Halo dies if MC dies.

True, just look at what Disney Star Wars did to Luke Skywalker. That ruined him in many fans opinion and the backlash was immense. :sunglasses:

a lot of campaign folk really are just interested in the continuation of Chief as the backlash to Halo5 would seem to show. I very much doubt they’d go this route

This is blasphemy, I won’t stand for it.
I think we can all agree that Spartan 117 is overdue for a promotion, though. I mean, how long has he been a Master Chief? How many times has he saved the universe? He should at least be a Commander by now, if not the General/Admiral of the entire armed forces. Chief taking a desk job would not be good for Halo though, so Master Chief forever I guess.

I can see this is an unpopular opinion based on the majority of these comments, but I am ok if Chief dies as long as it’s done well. Steve Downes is the master chief and I would rather see chief have a fitting end than another voice actor take Steve’s place. It would be weird if chief retired or moved to some kind of behind the scenes work. I don’t think that would work well at all. If there is a conflict I can’t imagine chief sitting behind a desk while others fight the battles

I think a lot of the speculation that chief will die comes from Steve’s age and the assumption that he won’t be around for the next halo, especially if Infinite is supposed to last 10 years.

To the people who say H5 proved that halo dies without the chief, I disagree. H5 proved that horrible writing can kill the franchise. Reach has had a massive surge in popularity in the last few years, so I don’t believe those that say chief has to be the main character in order for a game to have a good following

I share the overall idea that 343i shouldn’t kill off Master Chief. I think if they really want to get away from his story in the Halo Universe/games that implementing the ‘Player’ as the main character in the story/stories going forward would probably garnish an almost 100% approval from the fan base.

I stated it in another active thread as well but even if S117 moves on after the end of the Campaign portion of Halo Infinite (whether by death/retirement or just flat out leaves the Installation) that they should then have the UNSC/ONI just have active bases on the Installation and then use the Players multiplayer Spartan to either continue the story or expansion missions.

> 2533274866989456;16:
> This is blasphemy, I won’t stand for it.
> I think we can all agree that Spartan 117 is overdue for a promotion, though. I mean, how long has he been a Master Chief? How many times has he saved the universe? He should at least be a Commander by now, if not the General/Admiral of the entire armed forces. Chief taking a desk job would not be good for Halo though, so Master Chief forever I guess.

He’s already at the top of the enlisted ranks. He could technically earn a battlefield promotion but he’d have to climb the officer ranks starting as an ensign. I know this is just a fantasy world but neither senior non-commissioned officers nor commissioned officers see much combat after their platoon leader/platoon sergeant and company command/first sergeant times. Regardless of what Halsey and Cortana say, chief is an objectively terrible leader. He obeys orders and kills -Yoink-. He does not develop people, he does not provide guidance, and he does not make decisions.

> 2533274866906624;14:
> > 2535421108515819;3:
> > If we learned anything from Halo 5’s campaign, it’s that Halo dies if MC dies.
>
> True, just look at what Disney Star Wars did to Luke Skywalker. That ruined him in many fans opinion and the backlash was immense. :sunglasses:

Funny, I posted a while back in a different threat about my hopes that 343 does not do to Halo what Disney did to Star Wars.