If Locke Replaced Chief

The Halo 5 campaign has gotten worrisome. With 12 out of the 15 missions being played as Locke, what should we expect for Halo 6? There are obviously some parallels from Halo 2 to Halo 5 with the playable characters. In Halo 2, we had two stories, playing as John, and then as Thel. In Halo 3, rather than two separate stories, John and Thel worked together for the most part. Thel was a playable character if one decided to play co-op. In Halo 5, we played as locke, and then the chief. My curiosity lies here. Will 343i build on this parallelism? Should we expect Locke to join forces with John, or will Locke replace John as the main character for future installments?

I’m curious to how you guys would feel if the master chief was no longer part of the story, and Locke became the focus of attention. I.e., how would you feel if master chief was replaced?

I was barely convinced to buy Halo 5 as it was, this would probably nail the coffin shut for me.

Chief is honestly a really boring character. I didn’t play the original games because of Master Chief, I played because of the story of Halo. I wouldn’t care much if Chief was replaced

> 2533274912317447;3:
> Chief is honestly a really boring character. I didn’t play the original games because of Master Chief, I played because of the story of Halo. I wouldn’t care much if Chief was replaced

Yeah lets replace him with an equally as boring character as Lock!!!

Give me a break, I’m just glad you’re not the majority.

> 2533274830366691;4:
> > 2533274912317447;3:
> > Chief is honestly a really boring character. I didn’t play the original games because of Master Chief, I played because of the story of Halo. I wouldn’t care much if Chief was replaced
>
>
> Yeah lets replace him with an equally as boring character as Lock!!!
>
> Give me a break, I’m just glad you’re not the majority.

To me it’s not so much that Chief would be replaced, it’d be that Locke currently isn’t interesting enough to replace him.

I had no problems playing as the Arbiter for half of Halo 2 because I was invested in his story and it was well-told throughout. Noble Six and Rookie were barely characters at all, but they played interesting roles in a good story.

Chief is cool, but he’s not Halo. All I ask is that the replacement is worthy.

> 2533274830366691;4:
> > 2533274912317447;3:
> > Chief is honestly a really boring character. I didn’t play the original games because of Master Chief, I played because of the story of Halo. I wouldn’t care much if Chief was replaced
>
>
> Yeah lets replace him with an equally as boring character as Lock!!!
>
> Give me a break, I’m just glad you’re not the majority.

Give me a break, dude. I can at least give Locke props for being a character who can act outside of spouting one-liners. I can tell he is a highly diplomatic individual who can monitor a situation and act accordingly. He showed tact when dealing with the independent colonists on Meridian and treated Sloan with the respect one would give to a major authority figure. Contrast the way Locke acted with Buck, who seriously had no tact in this situation with the colonists and really seemed on edge. Locke is a character who knows that fighting isn’t always the preferred response and cooperation can go a long way in achieving the mission. He was even able to put his past behind him when dealing with the Arbiter by acknowledging that things change and you can’t always cling to old ways of thinking when dealing with people one may not like. Locke’s even a great planner given that he seemed to know he couldn’t really expect to go toe-to-toe with Chief or anybody on Blue Team so he brought along armor restraints. Ultimately that planned failed, but he didn’t go at that situation running and gunning.

Really, Locke isn’t all that different than Chief. Both show caring and concern for their teammates. Both are doggedly tenacious when it comes to accomplishing a goal. Really, I’d simply say that Locke is better suited for more subtle and less brute force situations than Chief is. I don’t see Chief or any of the Spartan-IIs with their history of reserve around outsiders to have handled Meridian Station as well as Osiris did.

Lock has the same boring personality that Chief did in Halo CE, yet people consider him a threat to the MCs nostalgic throne for some reason.

• Barely talks - low amount of emotion - Dull - BadassFor a character to “replace” the master chief they would need to have skills similar to him and have a personality. So far that seems to be just about any other Spartan 2

> 2533274812652989;6:
> > 2533274830366691;4:
> > > 2533274912317447;3:
> > > Chief is honestly a really boring character. I didn’t play the original games because of Master Chief, I played because of the story of Halo. I wouldn’t care much if Chief was replaced
> >
> >
> > Yeah lets replace him with an equally as boring character as Lock!!!
> >
> > Give me a break, I’m just glad you’re not the majority.
>
>
> Give me a break, dude. I can at least give Locke props for being a character who can act outside of spouting one-liners. I can tell he is a highly diplomatic individual who can monitor a situation and act accordingly. He showed tact when dealing with the independent colonists on Meridian and treated Sloan with the respect one would give to a major authority figure. Contrast the way Locke acted with Buck, who seriously had no tact in this situation with the colonists and really seemed on edge. Locke is a character who knows that fighting isn’t always the preferred response and cooperation can go a long way in achieving the mission. He was even able to put his past behind him when dealing with the Arbiter by acknowledging that things change and you can’t always cling to old ways of thinking when dealing with people one may not like. Locke’s even a great planner given that he seemed to know he couldn’t really expect to go toe-to-toe with Chief or anybody on Blue Team so he brought along armor restraints. Ultimately that planned failed, but he didn’t go at that situation running and gunning.
>
> Really, Locke isn’t all that different than Chief. Both show caring and concern for their teammates. Both are doggedly tenacious when it comes to accomplishing a goal. Really, I’d simply say that Locke is better suited for more subtle and less brute force situations than Chief is. I don’t see Chief or any of the Spartan-IIs with their history of reserve around outsiders to have handled Meridian Station as well as Osiris did.

This 100%

if locke replaced chief… ill quit Halo, Locke is the worst caracter IMO. IF they decide to replace Chief they should make another Spartan do the job. It woud be quite interesting to see Gabriel Thorne take a roll since he has a good caracter all around, other than that i would make a jump of joy if they include Spartan 092 Jerome in the campaign acompanied by his faithfull and asskicking Red Team. I know its Halo Wars material but it would be cool. Admit it, it would be…

Buck should have been leeding Fireteam Osiris, then if he took over from the Chief, I don’t think people would mind as much.

> 2533274855642773;9:
> if locke replaced chief… ill quit Halo, Locke is the worst caracter IMO. IF they decide to replace Chief they should make another Spartan do the job. It woud be quite interesting to see Gabriel Thorne take a roll since he has a good caracter all around, other than that i would make a jump of joy if they include Spartan 092 Jerome in the campaign acompanied by his faithfull and asskicking Red Team. I know its Halo Wars material but it would be cool. Admit it, it would be…

“Lockes the worse character ever!!! " I want to replace him with another character, but this ones completely dull!”

Tell me, what did you think of Johnson? Or Emile?

> 2533274871929668;11:
> > 2533274855642773;9:
> > if locke replaced chief… ill quit Halo, Locke is the worst caracter IMO. IF they decide to replace Chief they should make another Spartan do the job. It woud be quite interesting to see Gabriel Thorne take a roll since he has a good caracter all around, other than that i would make a jump of joy if they include Spartan 092 Jerome in the campaign acompanied by his faithfull and asskicking Red Team. I know its Halo Wars material but it would be cool. Admit it, it would be…
>
>
> “Lockes the worse character ever!!! " I want to replace him with another character, but this ones completely dull!”
>
> Tell me, what did you think of Johnson? Or Emile?

Johnson and Emile were both great but they’re both dead so it makes zero difference. I see what you’re doing here btw.

Locke is just boring. Even in his “conviction” to bring the Chief in he managed to change his mind pretty quickly. It’s hard to get behind someone who’s so easily convinced one way or the other.

At best he’s untrustworthy…at worst…well I guess we’ll see.

> 2533274827073747;12:
> > 2533274871929668;11:
> > > 2533274855642773;9:
> > > if locke replaced chief… ill quit Halo, Locke is the worst caracter IMO. IF they decide to replace Chief they should make another Spartan do the job. It woud be quite interesting to see Gabriel Thorne take a roll since he has a good caracter all around, other than that i would make a jump of joy if they include Spartan 092 Jerome in the campaign acompanied by his faithfull and asskicking Red Team. I know its Halo Wars material but it would be cool. Admit it, it would be…
> >
> >
> > “Lockes the worse character ever!!! " I want to replace him with another character, but this ones completely dull!”
> >
> > Tell me, what did you think of Johnson? Or Emile?
>
>
> Johnson and Emile were both great but they’re both dead so it makes zero difference. I see what you’re doing here btw.
>
> Locke is just boring. Even in his “conviction” to bring the Chief in he managed to change his mind pretty quickly. It’s hard to get behind someone who’s so easily convinced one way or the other.
>
> At best he’s untrustworthy…at worst…well I guess we’ll see.

Is it a lack of conviction to bring Chief back or just the realization that the situation changed? Chief going AWOL took a backseat to Cortana’s delusions of galactic conquest. Chief knew she was a threat, Locke knew it, there would be no reason fight. Hell, Chief accepted the Arbiter was cool just because Johnson said he was and Chief never made any kind of disagreements about it, would you level that Chief is too easily convinced of things?

Does nobody really think these things through or is it just easier to call Locke boring and hit him with criticisms you know Chief would never pass yet just ignore that fact?

> 2533274812652989;6:
> > 2533274830366691;4:
> > > 2533274912317447;3:
> > > Chief is honestly a really boring character. I didn’t play the original games because of Master Chief, I played because of the story of Halo. I wouldn’t care much if Chief was replaced
> >
> >
> > Yeah lets replace him with an equally as boring character as Lock!!!
> >
> > Give me a break, I’m just glad you’re not the majority.
>
>
>
> Really, Locke isn’t all that different than Chief. Both show caring and concern for their teammates. Both are doggedly tenacious when it comes to accomplishing a goal. Really, I’d simply say that Locke is better suited for more subtle and less brute force situations than Chief is. I don’t see Chief or any of the Spartan-IIs with their history of reserve around outsiders to have handled Meridian Station as well as Osiris did.

Adriana-111! Do you even read the books or noticed John actually says more with his body language?

Locke is a less interesting captain America. I would rather see the franchise lead by anyone of the gammas from blue team, or Tom and Lucy as a pair.

> 2535415012496023;14:
> > 2533274812652989;6:
> > > 2533274830366691;4:
> > > > 2533274912317447;3:
> > > > Chief is honestly a really boring character. I didn’t play the original games because of Master Chief, I played because of the story of Halo. I wouldn’t care much if Chief was replaced
> > >
> > >
> > > Yeah lets replace him with an equally as boring character as Lock!!!
> > >
> > > Give me a break, I’m just glad you’re not the majority.
> >
> >
> > Really, Locke isn’t all that different than Chief. Both show caring and concern for their teammates. Both are doggedly tenacious when it comes to accomplishing a goal. Really, I’d simply say that Locke is better suited for more subtle and less brute force situations than Chief is. I don’t see Chief or any of the Spartan-IIs with their history of reserve around outsiders to have handled Meridian Station as well as Osiris did.
>
>
> Adriana-111! Do you even read the books or noticed John actually says more with his body language?
>
> Locke is a less interesting captain America. I would rather see the franchise lead by anyone of the gammas from blue team, or Tom and Lucy as a pair.

What is Adriana-111’s relevance? No doubt as a fellow Spartan he would be more open with her. Even among other Spartans body language would be major, Kelly is a big example that Halsey even notices. Yet I doubt the average civilian would notice or make sense of such actions among Spartans. Only Veta Lopis seemed to be able to peel back the layers of Fred in Last Light, but as a criminal investigator that would come naturally to her. So yes, I read the books so please try not to make yourself look bad by trying to ask such a gotcha question. As for Chief’s body language, I’ll have to delve deeper in the games to really notice.

Yet what does less interesting Captain America mean? Explain your reasoning.

Well Locke probably will replace Master Chief once he dies in 6 (His character arc is definitely coming to an end) They do need to expand his character since we really ever only see him on the job not a lot of him (Nightfall and Halo 5) so more character development. I just want spin-offs once the trilogy is done, grey team, headhunters stuff like that. There are a lot of good stories in the universe that merit games of their own.

I would be fine if Halo 6 is when Chief dies, in fact, he needs to, if he doesn’t I think it would be dragging it along too much. But I would want to still have more spin off games like stated above, to expand on already present Halo backstory. I absolutely love Halo’s “big picture” story, that and the game play is what keeps bringing me back.

It wouldn’t actually change that much if Locke replaced Chief character wise. They are both fairly dull and unchanging characters. I think people need to put their nostalgia behind them and let the story progress to keep the franchise fresh and alive.

> 2533274812652989;13:
> > 2533274827073747;12:
> > > 2533274871929668;11:
> > > > 2533274855642773;9:
> > > > if locke replaced chief… ill quit Halo, Locke is the worst caracter IMO. IF they decide to replace Chief they should make another Spartan do the job. It woud be quite interesting to see Gabriel Thorne take a roll since he has a good caracter all around, other than that i would make a jump of joy if they include Spartan 092 Jerome in the campaign acompanied by his faithfull and asskicking Red Team. I know its Halo Wars material but it would be cool. Admit it, it would be…
> > >
> > >
> > > “Lockes the worse character ever!!! " I want to replace him with another character, but this ones completely dull!”
> > >
> > > Tell me, what did you think of Johnson? Or Emile?
> >
> >
> > Johnson and Emile were both great but they’re both dead so it makes zero difference. I see what you’re doing here btw.
> >
> > Locke is just boring. Even in his “conviction” to bring the Chief in he managed to change his mind pretty quickly. It’s hard to get behind someone who’s so easily convinced one way or the other.
> >
> > At best he’s untrustworthy…at worst…well I guess we’ll see.
>
>
> Is it a lack of conviction to bring Chief back or just the realization that the situation changed? Chief going AWOL took a backseat to Cortana’s delusions of galactic conquest. Chief knew she was a threat, Locke knew it, there would be no reason fight. Hell, Chief accepted the Arbiter was cool just because Johnson said he was and Chief never made any kind of disagreements about it, would you level that Chief is too easily convinced of things?
>
> Does nobody really think these things through or is it just easier to call Locke boring and hit him with criticisms you know Chief would never pass yet just ignore that fact?

I think the difference with Chief and Johnson is the 3 games, and 2books worth of time that they had to learn and trust each other. Johnson and John have been through hell and back, lost and saw a lot together so it’s not unusual to think that the Chief would just trust Johnson at his word. Locke just shows up and starts saying things and we’re supposed to just listen and believe in him? Would you listen to some random guy who shows up and starts saying things?

So, uh, there’s that.

Depends on what Locke is saying. What exactly was wrong with how Locke handled the situation as it changed? He is told Chief went AWOL and that Cortana is involved. When Chief and Locke meet on Genesis, the situation and mission had changed. Like, help me understand what Locke did or said that makes him unreliable.