If infinite is like 5.....

I just replayed 5 and remembered every reason I hated it as a fan from the start. I never wanted to be anyone but chief yet almost none of the campaign featured him. Halo 4 was ok at best. But honestly as a fan from the start if I dont play as chief the entire time or if chief dies I’m done with halo. Cortana had the worst ending ever for her iconic character, she gets get off and returns as a villain. I love the lore and all and but honestly, I have a good feeling infinite will be my last halo. I’m just curious what other fans (ONLY THAT HAVE BEEN FANS FROM THE RELEASE OF HALO) think.

I think they’ll redeem themselves for the horrendous campaign that H5 turned out to be. I’m hesitant to pass judgement on MP because there has been a lot of talk/mention of focus of MP being competitive which to me says that they are trying to cater to esports (since it provides revenue beyond sales).

i play for the campaign and with H5 I played once through legendary solo, legendary with a friend and then got the related achievements and haven’t played it since…it honestly sucked.

To me in a video game story doesn’t matter. I care about gameplay and I like halo 5’s gameplay. I don’t like randomly unlocking armor, weapons, etc. I understand that if a game doesn’t sell dlc’s or through micro transactions then after everybody buys the game the first time then the game doesn’t make any more money and then who’s going to run the online services? So I am glad halo Infinite’s micro transactions will be cosmetics and I think if they offer cool cosmetics people will buy in. In halo 5 you don’t need to pay money to unlock any of that stuff from gold packs because you can unlock it all in game. Get req’d!

> 2533274809988140;2:
> I think they’ll redeem themselves for the horrendous campaign that H5 turned out to be. I’m hesitant to pass judgement on MP because there has been a lot of talk/mention of focus of MP being competitive which to me says that they are trying to cater to esports (since it provides revenue beyond sales).
>
> i play for the campaign and with H5 I played once through legendary solo, legendary with a friend and then got the related achievements and haven’t played it since…it honestly sucked.

I play for the campaign too and honestly I just have been disappointed since 343 took over. Halo 4 was much better than 5, but compared to the predecessors it was not that good either. I loved the books during the original trilogy and the lore is amazing, but like you said it’s about the story and if this doesn’t stand up, I won’t be able to justify the continuation of playing the series.

Side note I feel like halo is being killed by 343 like bioware killed Mass Effect with Andromeda. I really dont expect much from either infinite or the next ME installment lol.

> 2533274828947499;3:
> To me in a video game story doesn’t matter. I care about gameplay and I like halo 5’s gameplay. I don’t like randomly unlocking armor, weapons, etc. I understand that if a game doesn’t sell dlc’s or through micro transactions then after everybody buys the game the first time then the game doesn’t make any more money and then who’s going to run the online services? So I am glad halo Infinite’s micro transactions will be cosmetics and I think if they offer cool cosmetics people will buy in. In halo 5 you don’t need to pay money to unlock any of that stuff from gold packs because you can unlock it all in game. Get req’d!

And to me story is everything. I’ve been with the series since the start. The multiplayer is fun like once a month to me or with friends. I agree gameplay is a big aspect absolutely. But I game can have great gameplay and mechanics but if it lacks story I’ll pass.

I enjoyed the campaign, the missions were fun and I enjoyed the story. My main knock on the campaign is not enough time blue team which made in feel like I was playing the B story.

Also gameplay wise halo 5 is probably my favorite. It has its faults for sure but I thoroughly enjoy it.

343i heard everyone loud and clear after H5, I think. If you look at the marketing and information we have received thus far, it looks like 343i and Xbox as a whole are once again embracing Chief as the face of Halo and, to an extent, Xbox. They got enough backlash trying to make changes that didn’t need to be made and have realized it was a bad move.

If there is one thing that we can be sure of, it’s that Infinite will be all Chief all the time. What emphasized this point even more was 343i’s confirmation that playable Elites won’t be a thing. I’m not trying to start a discussion on the topic or take sides, but what that means in the context of this thread is that we won’t be playing as the Arbiter. Hence, more time with John. Additionally, most players did not appreciate only playing like 1/4 of the time as MC in H5, so I highly doubt 343i will try and push the perspective of another Spartan on us in a mainline game.

I played H5 campaign a few times, but the story certainly didn’t resonate with me. H4 story was OK, but H5 felt completely detached from the rest of the games. I honesty had a lot of fun with the arena multiplayer though. Warzone and all of its baggage can go away and never come back as far as I’m concerned.

The idea of playing as Blue Team was actually pretty cool, but the story was so bad that I’ll probably only ever play H5 campaign as my time honored tradition of playing all the Halo campaigns before a new game release.

> 2533274794991000;1:
> I just replayed 5 and remembered every reason I hated it as a fan from the start. I never wanted to be anyone but chief yet almost none of the campaign featured him. Halo 4 was ok at best. But honestly as a fan from the start if I dont play as chief the entire time or if chief dies I’m done with halo. Cortana had the worst ending ever for her iconic character, she gets get off and returns as a villain. I love the lore and all and but honestly, I have a good feeling infinite will be my last halo. I’m just curious what other fans (ONLY THAT HAVE BEEN FANS FROM THE RELEASE OF HALO) think.

Why does it matter with which Halo-title a person joined the community?

I have no idea how often I’ll need to repeat myself on threads like this, but here goes…

No one set out to make Halo 5 ‘bad’. Mistakes were made during production and we ended up where we ended up

• Halo 5’s story clearly underwent some serious changes fairly late in the day which unfortunately may not have helped here. - The Hunt the Truth marketing campaign was incredible but some members of the community made a big noise about Chief being tarnished - could that be a factor? - Halo 5 (eventually) ended up with some of the franchise’s best MP experiences but it took too long after launch to get many modes. - However: all the mistakes from Halo 4 were corrected (campaign gameplay and MP)Halo 4 does not have a bad story

• Halo 4’s narrative and story is brilliant - The only mistake with Halo 4’s story was relying on Escalations to finish it off. The Didact is such an iconic character he could have been an antagonist for years to come. - Spartan Ops was an innovative and exciting mode for continuous story delivery which suffered from repetitive gameplay and environments and coming too earlg before the full establishment of live service models over DLC delivery - IIt’s campaign gameplay is, however, repetitive, linear and too many bullet-sponge enemies - It’s multiplayer took so many ‘evolutions’ from Reach and took them down evolutionary cul-de-sacs away from the main game’s DNA (even starts amd maps gathered power weapons, map sizes and traversal)

Honestly I’m fine with the death of chief. Maybe he doesn’t have to die but to be removed as the main character in the games (keep the books how they are.

Id rather my personal Spartan take the light of these campaigns. More and more games are opting for this path and honestly as a player it allows me to feel more connected.

> 2533274828947499;3:
> To me in a video game story doesn’t matter. I care about gameplay and I like halo 5’s gameplay. I don’t like randomly unlocking armor, weapons, etc. I understand that if a game doesn’t sell dlc’s or through micro transactions then after everybody buys the game the first time then the game doesn’t make any more money and then who’s going to run the online services? So I am glad halo Infinite’s micro transactions will be cosmetics and I think if they offer cool cosmetics people will buy in. In halo 5 you don’t need to pay money to unlock any of that stuff from gold packs because you can unlock it all in game. Get req’d!

Halo is all about the story

> 2533274793908725;13:
> > 2533274828947499;3:
> >
>
> Halo is all about the story

Truer words have never been spoken. The story, narrative, lore, characters, and world is what makes Halo unique in a market of over saturated FPS games.

As someone who’s been here from the begining, I feel like ignoring newer people is wrong.

That being said, 343 really seems to be riding the “chief focus” demands, to a silly extreme. Honestly I feel like h4 and h5 are too chief focused. Yes thats right, even 5. Yes Locke may have most the screen time, but Locke’s story is about chasing chief. Everything in halo 5 centers around chief and cortana, its just they don’t get a lot of screen time

If Chief had died in h5, or early in Infinite, Locke wouldn’t even have a personal story to carry on with. His entire character in h5 is about chasing chief, every other spartan is just there for exposition.

h4 is a more personal story about chief and cortana. Yes the didact’s there and stuff, but who actually has meaningful dialogue? He’s there so Cortana can go down killing(well, sort of) someone important. That said, I liked halo 4’s story (although its gameplay left alot to be desired). A single game with a more personal story was fine, and Cortana’s death had the opportunity to shake things up. Her demise was something the books and games were leading towards, and I thought she had a great send off. Sadly halo 5 had to dredge up her remains to be space -Yoink!-.

That said, I don’t think h1-3 were really that chief focused. He was the main character yes, but it wasn’t about him as a person. Heck, it wasn’t even about cortana either. H1 is the ring. Halo 2 is largely the arbiter’s story, as its about the relevations and cultural shift of his people. h3 cortana needing to be saved from the flood is something the game reminds you of a few (annoying) times, but outside of one level, which is more to get the index, h3 isn’t about saving cortana.

I don’t mind not playing as Chief. I think the blow back 343i recieved was spawned from a lack of focus in the story threads within the campaign. We had two story lines going on simultaneously with one not being as interesting as it’s counterpart. Locke’s story line only served to increase the players curiosity about what’s going on on Chiefs end which ultimately made people want to conclude Locke’s story faster just to get the answers they wanted.

Maybe I’m wrong about that last part but that’s just my take on why things turned out how they did.

To make it clear the reason why Arbiter’s story branch off never caused such a backlash was because we never got to play as the covenant before. Getting to play from a covenant perspective was never done before and totally unknown. He also had a quite an interesting story line on top of that.

Now coming back to Locke’s story line. Outside of his quest line fueling interest in Chiefs while hardly developing any interest in it’s own Locke ends up fighting Chief and as a result makes himself less likeable. Some random guy walks up and starts fighting the main hero of the last few games, it’s not a good look. I think if the reasoning behind Locke’s pursuit of Chief had been better developed, and Osiris having either character development, or some kind of hook to create interest in them it would have benefited the story in the long haul.

This doesn’t really tap into any of the other existing problems with the story though. Evil Cortana was a mistake.

If Joseph Staten said he liked the story, YOU should be able to like it. :slight_smile:

> 2533274975565198;16:
> I don’t mind not playing as Chief. I think the blow back 343i recieved was spawned from a lack of focus in the story threads within the campaign. We had two story lines going on simultaneously with one not being as interesting as it’s counterpart. Locke’s story line only served to increase the players curiosity about what’s going on on Chiefs end which ultimately made people want to conclude Locke’s story faster just to get the answers they wanted.
>
> Maybe I’m wrong about that last part but that’s just my take on why things turned out how they did.
>
> To make it clear the reason why Arbiter’s story branch off never caused such a backlash was because we never got to play as the covenant before. Getting to play from a covenant perspective was never done before and totally unknown. He also had a quite an interesting story line on top of that.
>
> Now coming back to Locke’s story line. Outside of his quest line fueling interest in Chiefs while hardly developing any interest in it’s own Locke ends up fighting Chief and as a result makes himself less likeable. Some random guy walks up and starts fighting the main hero of the last few games, it’s not a good look. I think if the reasoning behind Locke’s pursuit of Chief had been better developed, and Osiris having either character development, or some kind of hook to create interest in them it would have benefited the story in the long haul.
>
> This doesn’t really tap into any of the other existing problems with the story though. Evil Cortana was a mistake.

I’d say thats a pretty good take.

Despite halo 5 having 8 characters…only one of them is actually important to the plot, and he’s not even the most played character. Locke and co are completely irrelevant, and even Blue Team, Chief’s family, do nothing in a battle for whats presumably chief’s allegiances.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the lack of relevancy of the characters is also why there’s the perception that halo 5 ‘needs the books’, despite largely disregarding them.

> 2533274870389366;17:
> If Joseph Staten said he liked the story, YOU should be able to like it. :slight_smile:

You reminded me… Joseph did describe Infinite as having a “strong narrative”.

> 2533274949216347;19:
> > 2533274870389366;17:
> > If Joseph Staten said he liked the story, YOU should be able to like it. :slight_smile:
>
> You reminded me… Joseph did describe Infinite as having a “strong narrative”.

If there’s one thing I’ve learned, you can trust Joe. :slight_smile: