If I could have more Reach DLC...

Yeah, yeah, I know… it’s been nearly 3 years, the chances of us getting any DLC at all is extremely unlikely, even with so many people still playing Halo:Reach. Heck, we don’t even the means to play the DLC we already have; you think 343i would’ve done something about that by now.
Still, I have this idea for some new Firefight maps that I’ve been sitting on for a while, and I thought I’d try posting it.
I posted the idea for a new kind of Firefight; “Firefight Heavies”, in the Halo 5 forum. The idea is to have a new type of Firefight map with twice as many enemies, and the kind of heavy vehicles that we normally don’t get in Firefight… such as the Scorpion and Falcon.
There are actually two maps already in Reach that would be perfect for this kind of Firefight, both Invasion maps; “Boneyard”, from the base game, and “Breakpoint”, the only DLC Invasion map included in the Noble Map Pack.

Let’s start with the former; Boneyard.
Picture it if you will; fighting the Covenant on Boneyard. FOUR Phantoms instead of two. Normally you get two dropships with up to 12 enemies each, for a total of 24… on Boneyard, you’d get 48.
Up to two drop pods in one wave as well, instead of one; carrying the usual foursomes of Fuel-Rod Grunts, Elite Ultras, and Concussion-Rifle Brutes. Each of the four dropships also drops vehicles; at least two of the drop Wraiths, the others will either drop a pair of Ghosts or a single Revenant each.
Finally, you got Banshees flying in from outside the map… and unlike other maps, you get to highjack them. Additional aerial threats may be present as well; a couple of Engineers or a swarm of Drones may come over the cliff to present you with additional opposition.
Then, you get the firepower to fight them all; a Scorpion tank and a Gauss 'Hog in the garage, and some friendly AI in the form of four ODSTs to jump in the turrets. Also, a spare chaingun Warthog for backup, and a Mongoose or two for getting around the map quicker.
The entire map would be open to you; two of the Phantoms would land behind the frigate on the Cliff Approach, two more would land outside the Refinery. Fuel-Rod Grunts and Jackal Snipers are liable to take up positions in the Main Hold of the frigate, firing on you from above.

This is what I want more than anything in Firefight; big vehicle battles. Tanks. Aircraft. Lots of enemies. Firefight has always been about small-scale engagements; it’s time for it to branch out a little.

Now… Breakpoint. Boneyard of course would be all about big battles with the Scorpion, so Breakpoint should obviously feature the Falcon.
One little problem; the Campaign version of the Falcon is armed with a 20mm cannon that’s a little overpowered for Firefight. But the Multiplayer version only has the two machine-gun turrets, which may not be enough in a single-player game, even with friendly AI.
Simple solution; replace the pilot’s 20mm cannon with the same type of 12.7mm machine gun it has on the sides. Same damage, same range, same rate of fire, it overheats at the same rate… should do the trick.
In addition to the Falcon, you’d get a Rocket 'Hog and a standard Warthog, plus Mongooses and the 4 friendly AI in the form of ODSTs to help you out with the turrets. Covenant deploy in a similar manner to Boneyard; four Phantoms, two landing on each side of the ridge, dropping off Wraiths, Revenants, and Ghosts.
But since the Falcon dominates this map, enemy Banshees would be far more common; should you take to the skies in the Falcon or highjack a Banshee, up to 6 enemy Banshees show up at a time, arriving in pairs, to put pressure on the players… sort of like they do on New Alexandria in the Campaign.
And of course, you’d have additional hazards in the form of Drones coming up over the cliffs, and Engineers descending from the mountain. Watch out.

The way I see it, all 343i would have to do is go back, and… I suppose re-code these maps to support AI (I’m not a computer expert), and then set 'em up right and put them up for download on Xbox Live.
But I guess I’m too late, even if it can be done… it’d be nice if they showed the single-player/co-op fans in Halo some love, especially after they replaced Firefight with Spartan Ops in Halo 4. Not to mention that we only ever got 2 DLC Firefight maps, and one of them wasn’t much different from Beachhead. Anyway, I just had to get these ideas out of my head. If 343i even considers making this little dream of mine reality, it’ll be a damn miracle :frowning:

its a good idea

> its a good idea

I would play it.

Its a good idea, its a shame it wont work. Having double the amount of AI controlled enemies would increase the already ridiculous lag co-op firefight has for many people. This is because the server would have to co-ordinated twice as many AI characters between 4 players (which sometimes it already struggles to do if the game is running on a less than good connection), which would be complete connection chaos and cause uber-lag.

> Its a good idea, its a shame it wont work. Having double the amount of AI controlled enemies would increase the already ridiculous lag co-op firefight has for many people. This is because the server would have to co-ordinated twice as many AI characters between 4 players (which sometimes it already struggles to do if the game is running on a less than good connection), which would be complete connection chaos and cause uber-lag.

It’d still be nice to have them for single-player… or Score Attack.

In fact, I have the perfect gametype to go with it; 2x Score Invasion. It’s in my File Share.

Basically it’s 2x Score Attack with 3 Rounds instead of just one, and a few upgrades; you now get random, mixed enemies now, instead of the usual order of Grunts/Jackals/Brutes/Skirmishers (though you still get Spec Ops Elites for the Boss Wave), Dropships are enabled for every wave, so you get lots of enemy vehicles to blow up, and I also added a Custom Skull.

My Custom Skulls reduces the AIs damage by 50%, but also reduces the player’s Damage Resistance by 50%. The result; the player takes normal damage on foot, but since vehicle health is separate from the players, all enemies do 50% less damage to player-controlled vehicles.

This makes light vehicles like the Warthog and Ghost much more reliable on Heroic, as they basically have double health with these settings. It also gives the Drop Shield AA double health.