If Halo had sprint since the beginning...

If Bungie included sprint since Halo: CE, and kept it throughout all of their games, would everyone be complaining about the sprint in Halo 5?

Of course not. Just because Halo was “unique” for not having sprint doesn’t mean it can’t have it. But back to the title: if Halo always had sprint, I’m sure it’d still be successful (as well as one of the first FPSs to have sprint), and people would be used to it.

I can just imagine an alternate universe where 343i removes sprint from Halo 5, and everyone complains.

> 2533274895603860;1:
> I can just imagine an alternate universe where 343i removes sprint from Halo 5, and everyone complains.

I lolled. Totally star trek.

If Halo had sprint from the beginning id finally stop hearing people say “CoD did it first.”

Seeing as we are now in an alternate Halo universe let me ask this:

“If sprint had been present in Halo since CE, and Bungie decided to take it out for Reach, would people complain about it’s removal?”

I think we all know the answer to this, and if you feel like those people are justified by being upset about sprint being removed in that alternate universe, then there is no reason why you shouldn’t feel the same way about people who are upset about sprint being implemented into a once sprintless Halo in this universe.

> 2535432359236232;4:
> Seeing as we are now in an alternate Halo universe let me ask this:
>
> “If sprint had been present in Halo since CE, and Bungie decided to take it out for Reach, would people complain about it’s removal?”
>
> I think we all know the answer to this, and if you feel like those people are justified by being upset about sprint being removed in that alternate universe, then there is no reason why you shouldn’t feel the same way about people who are upset about sprint being implemented into a once sprintless Halo in this universe.

Alternate universe:

“No, 343i are ruining Halo! They removed sprint, so now the game is unbalanced! They also switched the classic smart-scope for a boring, modern zoom! They’re copying CoD (assuming CoD lacked sprint and used zoom). I hate them!”

Obviously not. If CE had a sprinting mechanic, everything would be made around sprint from the beginning. People would view sprint as intrinsic to Halo’s gameplay instead of the absence of sprint.

> 2533274895603860;1:
> If Bungie included sprint since Halo: CE, and kept it throughout all of their games, would everyone be complaining about the sprint in Halo 5?
>
> Of course not. Just because Halo was “unique” for not having sprint doesn’t mean it can’t have it. But back to the title: if Halo always had sprint, I’m sure it’d still be successful (as well as one of the first FPSs to have sprint), and people would be used to it.

You, I and anyone just don’t know. Would the Halo franchise have shined with sprint since CE? Most probably yes. Would its multiplayers have experienced the same level of success and recognition? No way to know that.

“If wishes were horses, beggars would ride”. It is absurd and useless to hypothesize baseless speculations just to draw the conclusion that suits you best.

> 2533274873267862;6:
> Obviously not. If CE had a sprinting mechanic, everything would be made around sprint from the beginning. People would view sprint as intrinsic to Halo’s gameplay instead of the absence of sprint.

^This. The reason sprint is so controversial is because the people that know the finer points of the gameplay know it doesn’t play the same since the core gameplay wasn’t built with sprint in mind.

Nobody would be -Yoinking!-…

> 2533274895603860;1:
> I can just imagine an alternate universe where 343i removes sprint from Halo 5, and everyone complains.

Its sad to think that even in an alternate universe, people would still complain.

> 2535407149471660;3:
> If Halo had sprint from the beginning id finally stop hearing people say “CoD did it first.”

But honestly, CoD never did it 1st.

People who liked sprint would be playing those games, so obviously there would be complaining if they removed it. Use some common sense man. The first three Halos didn’t have sprint, so obviously the majority of the older players who loved the old halo games do not want sprint or any other goofy abilities added to the game.

What!? You mean if a series had different mechanics when it began people would have different expectations? I think I might die of shock…/s

The Op’s question is one that looks like it is making a point on the surface but is actually meaningless. You could literally use that type of hypothetical for any controversial addition in Halo or any other series. There is no point in examining that type of hypothetical as the people who would play that hypothetical game would not have anything with which to compare it to. Its devoid of context.

When you change the variables of course the outcome is going to change. That’s not a meaningful observation, its an obvious conclusion.

I would be willing to bet that most of the people who dislike the addition of sprint in Halo don’t have any problem with the general concept of sprint, I would wager that many of them happily play different games with sprint. I for one don’t like how sprint plays in the context of Halo because I have a set of expectation when it comes to the series based on the earlier entries. I can’t tell you how I would feel about sprint in Halo if Halo had had sprint from the start because that is not the world we live in. Its simply dodging the question of whether sprint in Halo has value and avoiding reasoned discussion.

Hollow thread is hollow.

> 2533274819446242;13:
> What!? You mean if a series had different mechanics when it began people would have different expectations? I think I might die of shock…/s
>
> The Op’s question is one that looks like it is making a point on the surface but is actually meaningless. You could literally use that type of hypothetical for any controversial addition in Halo or any other series. There is no point in examining that type of hypothetical as the people who would play that hypothetical game would not have anything with which to compare it to. Its devoid of context.
>
> When you change the variables of course the outcome is going to change. That’s not a meaningful observation, its an obvious conclusion.
>
> I would be willing to bet that most of the people who dislike the addition of sprint in Halo don’t have any problem with the general concept of sprint, I would wager that many of them happily play different games with sprint. I for one don’t like how sprint plays in the context of Halo because I have a set of expectation when it comes to the series based on the earlier entries. I can’t tell you how I would feel about sprint in Halo if Halo had had sprint from the start because that is not the world we live in. Its simply dodging the question of whether sprint in Halo has value and avoiding reasoned discussion.
>
> Hollow thread is hollow.

Good point. This thread is meaningless.

> 2533274909042103;12:
> People who liked sprint would be playing those games, so obviously there would be complaining if they removed it. Use some common sense man. The first three Halos didn’t have sprint, so obviously the majority of the older players who loved the old halo games do not want sprint or any other goofy abilities added to the game.

Just because a sequel has sprint and the prequel lacks it doesn’t mean people can’t like sprint. The first Rainbow Six Vegas game didn’t have sprint, and people loved it. The second game had sprint, and people still thought it was a great game. The point of this thread is that the hate towards Halo having sprint is completely psychological. People don’t like it just because the first few games didn’t have it. But if Halo 1–3 had sprint, everyone would want sprint in every Halo game.

> 2533274819446242;13:
> What!? You mean if a series had different mechanics when it began people would have different expectations? I think I might die of shock…/s
>
> The Op’s question is one that looks like it is making a point on the surface but is actually meaningless. You could literally use that type of hypothetical for any controversial addition in Halo or any other series. There is no point in examining that type of hypothetical as the people who would play that hypothetical game would not have anything with which to compare it to. Its devoid of context.
>
> When you change the variables of course the outcome is going to change. That’s not a meaningful observation, its an obvious conclusion.
>
> I would be willing to bet that most of the people who dislike the addition of sprint in Halo don’t have any problem with the general concept of sprint, I would wager that many of them happily play different games with sprint. I for one don’t like how sprint plays in the context of Halo because I have a set of expectation when it comes to the series based on the earlier entries. I can’t tell you how I would feel about sprint in Halo if Halo had had sprint from the start because that is not the world we live in. Its simply dodging the question of whether sprint in Halo has value and avoiding reasoned discussion.
>
> Hollow thread is hollow.

I think you completely missed the point of this thread.

If sprint had been there in the beginning, none of us would be here (on a Halo forum) right now.

There have been plenty of times I’ve been trudging through the Library wishing I could run to save my shiny green behind.

Because we love complain, it’s what we do best as fans.

Wait a moment, that’s bad. Really bad.

If Halo had sprint from the beginning Halo wouldn’t nearly as big as it is today because the quality of gameplay would be severely hindered.