If Halo 4 Doesn't Have Dedicated Servers

If Halo 4 doesn’t have dedicated servers I think I’m done with console gaming. The new Halo titles are one of the only reasons I play console to begin with. It is ludicrous that connection host should play such a large part of match making. There is an easy remedy, that PC gamers have enjoyed for ages, called dedicated servers. Use some of that money I pay you for Xbox Live every month and get some dedicated servers for your flagship gaming franchise. The PC has better graphics, better servers, and is completely free. Please compete Xbox.

Old article, but insightful

indeed, this is a very valid point. I’m hating that my money goes to waste sometimes.

XBOX Live funds to go to XBOX, not the Halo people so they wouldn’t have access to that money for those servers.

> XBOX Live funds to go to XBOX, not the Halo people so they wouldn’t have access to that money for those servers.

Isn’t 343 Industries a Microsoft subsidiary?

Also that article on dedicated servers is not entirely correct.

> > XBOX Live funds to go to XBOX, not the Halo people so they wouldn’t have access to that money for those servers.
>
> Isn’t 343 Industries a Microsoft subsidiary?
>
> Also that article on dedicated servers is not entirely correct.

i’m pretty sure the funds to go things like contracts with netflix, hulu plus, ensuring that we CAN get online, etc. none of which is cheap stuff. :frowning:

> > XBOX Live funds to go to XBOX, not the Halo people so they wouldn’t have access to that money for those servers.
>
> Isn’t 343 Industries a Microsoft subsidiary?
>
> Also that article on dedicated servers is not entirely correct.

What part is not entirely correct?

Do you even know the point of halos matchmaking? That would defeat the purpose.
No.

> > > XBOX Live funds to go to XBOX, not the Halo people so they wouldn’t have access to that money for those servers.
> >
> > Isn’t 343 Industries a Microsoft subsidiary?
> >
> > Also that article on dedicated servers is not entirely correct.
>
> What part is not entirely correct?

That peer to peer systems have less latency.

> Do you even know the point of halos matchmaking? That would defeat the purpose.
> No.

Excuse me but what are you trying to say? Defeat the purpose of what exactly?

> > > XBOX Live funds to go to XBOX, not the Halo people so they wouldn’t have access to that money for those servers.
> >
> > Isn’t 343 Industries a Microsoft subsidiary?
> >
> > Also that article on dedicated servers is not entirely correct.
>
> i’m pretty sure the funds to go things like contracts with netflix, hulu plus, ensuring that we CAN get online, etc. none of which is cheap stuff. :frowning:

Netflix and Hulu Plus both have their own subscription fees in addition to the cost of Xbox Live service.

> > Do you even know the point of halos matchmaking? That would defeat the purpose.
> > No.
>
> Excuse me but what are you trying to say? Defeat the purpose of what exactly?

Check out the latest bungie vidoc.

Well Gears of War 3 is getting dedicated servers. I think it is only fair that Microsoft Game Studios invest in a few for Halo 4. Halo has been around for longer and has a bigger fan base. I’m not saying that Gears of War is rubbish, because it is a really good franchise. I just think that it’s only fair that Halo gets dedicated servers like Gears of War 3 is getting. It would solve a heck of a lot of issues.

> > > Do you even know the point of halos matchmaking? That would defeat the purpose.
> > > No.
> >
> > Excuse me but what are you trying to say? Defeat the purpose of what exactly?
>
> Check out the latest bungie vidoc.

Why don’t you just summarize it for me since you seem to be so knowledgeable on the subject.

> > > Do you even know the point of halos matchmaking? That would defeat the purpose.
> > > No.
> >
> > Excuse me but what are you trying to say? Defeat the purpose of what exactly?
>
> Check out the latest bungie vidoc.

You do realize that Bungie are no longer working with Halo any more, right? It’s ultimately up to Microsoft Game Studios and 343 Industries whether Halo 4 gets dedicated servers or not. And it’s community, depending on whether this idea gets popular or not. A lot of people asked for dedicated servers for Gears of War 3 because of the nightmare that was the Gears of War 2 multiplayer matchmaking, and they got it.

… It says something about halo being p2p.

> … It says something about halo being p2p.

Yes, Halo is P2P for the moment and hasn’t had dedicated servers unless you’re going to count Halo for the PC, that has had dedicated servers before. But I say that it is at least worth trying out for one Halo game. If it doesn’t work out, then we have another 2 games to put that right. Or even an update, if that is possible.

> If Halo 4 doesn’t have dedicated servers I think I’m done with console gaming. The new Halo titles are one of the only reasons I play console to begin with. It is ludicrous that connection host should play such a large part of match making. There is an easy remedy, that PC gamers have enjoyed for ages, called dedicated servers. Use some of that money I pay you for Xbox Live every month and get some dedicated servers for your flagship gaming franchise. The PC has better graphics, better servers, and is completely free. Please compete Xbox.

I would like dedicated servers for custom games not for matchmaking :3

> > … It says something about halo being p2p.
>
> Yes, Halo is P2P for the moment and hasn’t had dedicated servers unless you’re going to count Halo for the PC, that has had dedicated servers before. But I say that it is at least worth trying out for one Halo game. If it doesn’t work out, then we have another 2 games to put that right. Or even an update, if that is possible.

No… Just leave it the wya it is. It was meant to be like that and should remain like that. It’s better.

> > > … It says something about halo being p2p.
> >
> > Yes, Halo is P2P for the moment and hasn’t had dedicated servers unless you’re going to count Halo for the PC, that has had dedicated servers before. But I say that it is at least worth trying out for one Halo game. If it doesn’t work out, then we have another 2 games to put that right. Or even an update, if that is possible.
>
> No… Just leave it the wya it is. It was meant to be like that and should remain like that. It’s better.

We don’t know that, because we have never given dedicated servers a chance.