Idea on how to "HELP" curb quiting

So quitting has been a plague in online gaming.

I feel to tackle the problem of quitting, the approach needs to be a multi pronged deterrent. I’ll cover a few things and I ask that you consider each separately.

First the ban.

I think this works in the short run. And short run only. I dont think much change needs to come to it. Other than maybe keep track of quitting over the course of a season. Imo people probably quit more games in playlists they like the least. Like a team arena game if they prefer slayer. So if they tally a lot of quits in team arena. Ban them from that specific playlist for the season and not all of arena/or warzone like a daily ban. Maybe give advanced warning like you have 2 or 3 quits left this season for this playlist. This gets the people who just dont really care out of that playlist for an extended period of time. But allowing them to play the ones they really like unaffected

Second stats.

To be honest I really dont understand a lot of how the latest halo games handles stats in regards to quitting. I feel it’s important to have acurate k/ds etc. But. I feel there should be no rewards at all for quitting, if the games are not already doing this. While kils should be recorded for k/d purposes. They should never count towards commendations or what ever halo infinite rewards/unlock system will be. Metals should be lost. In fact. A message should be displayed on the quit screen warning all progress this game will be lost

3rd intermission

This is pretty much a no brainer. After the 30 second intermission inbetween games the game needs to prompt you if you want to continue. How many games have you started were a teammate is asleep on spawn. Wake up john is not enough. It’s just a simple button press. Takes no time at all. If you dont reply in the next 10 seconds then you or your entire fireteam go back to the lobby and can search again when EVERYONE is ready.

Last. Spartan companies/service record.

Quits/disconnects should appear as a percentage in your service record visible to everyone. If you play 100 games but quit one. Your percentage of unfinished games is 1%. This should reflect unfinished games. Not finished games (99%) because it loses the psychological effect. If 343 makes spartan companies more than just a means to get one set of armor this go around. Make them important for a variety of reasons that both the harcore and casual value. Then this visible percentage is vital. Because spart company leaders will know that 6% of this individuals games are not producing medals or kills to to causes.
And could be grounds for removal.

On a harsher level. Maybe even have an unfinished game percentage associated to the spartan company themselves. Where whatever a members personal percentage doesnt matter cause the company is only affected by games after they join.
This creates a community policing policy to go with 343 software policy.

I agree with most of these points. I would really like the quitting/unfinished game percentage added. I think this should be posted on your service record for everyone to see.

The medals lost is also a good idea. To add on this I think xp/credits (depending on how payouts work in infinite) should be lost upon quitting. Just as an example, in halo 5 you should be penalized 1000 xp for quitting.

Only thing I don’t agree with is giving a number of quits left, as people will quit knowing they won’t be punished unless they quit 2 more times.

> 2533274854980999;2:
> I agree with most of these points. I would really like the quitting/unfinished game percentage added. I think this should be posted on your service record for everyone to see.
>
> The medals lost is also a good idea. To add on this I think xp/credits (depending on how payouts work in infinite) should be lost upon quitting. Just as an example, in halo 5 you should be penalized 1000 xp for quitting.
>
> Only thing I don’t agree with is giving a number of quits left, as people will quit knowing they won’t be punished unless they quit 2 more times.

At first I thought it would only start displaying this when you got close. But to be honest. A season is a long time. And people, especially those who live in rural areas where ther connection drops from time to time shouldn’t be punished. No one should be able to be banned from a season in say a days time. That’s were the current short term ban comes in dishing out increasing increments of time in a 24 hr period before you can play. I think each day you have a quit disconnect counts as a point and if you exceed a certain amount you get the playlist ban for the season.

For the percentage. As long as 343 makes spartan companies a really huge thing this time around. No one will want to lose thier standing and get booted because of a quit percentage. The effectiveness of that would depend on how important 343 can make companies important to everyone.

All of these fail to address why people leave in the first place. Sure there is the occasional AFK who gets kicked after three minutes but usually people leave when they are getting destroyed.

Some matches get made knowing that one team has a 99% chance of winning. The system decides it is better to sacrifice a team of lower ranked individuals to a stacked team rather than not making a match at all.

Other times, I have been in matches that include ranks ranging from Gold to Champion. While the game may be fair, it will be incredibly frustrating for the gold player who is simply outclassed.

If the matchmaking is good, 343 won’t have to take such punitive measures.

> 2535431933064458;4:
> All of these fail to address why people leave in the first place. Sure there is the occasional AFK who gets kicked after three minutes but usually people leave when they are getting destroyed.
>
> Some matches get made knowing that one team has a 99% chance of winning. The system decides it is better to sacrifice a team of lower ranked individuals to a stacked team rather than not making a match at all.
>
> Other times, I have been in matches that include ranks ranging from Gold to Champion. While the game may be fair, it will be incredibly frustrating for the gold player who is simply outclassed.
>
> If the matchmaking is good, 343 won’t have to take such punitive measures.

How do you propose they accomplish this on a technical level

> 2535431933064458;4:
> All of these fail to address why people leave in the first place. Sure there is the occasional AFK who gets kicked after three minutes but usually people leave when they are getting destroyed.
>
> Some matches get made knowing that one team has a 99% chance of winning. The system decides it is better to sacrifice a team of lower ranked individuals to a stacked team rather than not making a match at all.
>
> Other times, I have been in matches that include ranks ranging from Gold to Champion. While the game may be fair, it will be incredibly frustrating for the gold player who is simply outclassed.
>
> If the matchmaking is good, 343 won’t have to take such punitive measures.

I believe this is more of a population issue than a matchmaking issue. 343 prioritized matching times over team MMR long ago. When infinite drops, the higher population should help significantly. Lets just hope there is enough content and the game runs smoothly so the population stays healthy.

This has been a long, long discussion for as long as online gaming has been a thing, and I’m sorry to say no matter what they do, what rules they implement, they will never get rid of quitters. Doesn’t matter if you ban them, then they just go to another game. And if they quit in the first place, what makes you think they’ll care about stats? Admittedly most people don’t. I’m sorry to sound negative, but it gets tiring hearing people complain about this all the time. I get it, it sucks, but it is unfortunately a part of online gaming that we all have to deal with. Sad truth is there is no solution to stop them. Admittedly, there’s a reason most online games have a join-in-progress feature.

i think that there should be some type of surrender option when most of the team leaves in a slayer game in arena or BTB to make sure the game won’t last 16 minutes

Find a way to persuade the player base that Join In Progress isn’t a 100% bad thing and that it should be used wherever possible, just not in the most hardcore ranked playlists

I’ve been a proponent of a displayed ‘quit score’ for ages. Show your games completed loud and proud.

Yes, some people have ‘excuses’… but it’s weird that you rarely see someone’s internet ‘drop out’ when they are up 10-nil.

And yep… matchmaking sometimes throws you in at the deep end… but I don’t see why that is an excuse to bail on your team. Chances are the other team also has some low lying fruit to balance things out. You might even learn something playing against some good/better players. And I imagine that same Gold player who is a damage sponge vs the Onyx is the last one to quit if they are the cream of the crop vs a team of Bronze.

So yes, show the quitters for who they are… and share the damage of the team to their K:D etc.

But given that quitters are gonna quit… please do something to keep the game interesting for those left behind (for both the team now short and the team with the extra players). There are many ways you can re-balance the teams;

a) Change the scoring so that teams earn more/less points per kill.
b) Handicap the winning score (eg. 4 man team needs 50 to win, 3 man team only 40).
c) Boost the shields / damage of the smaller team.
d) Put the extra player on the bench to even up the players on the field (the benched player is then rotated onto the field with the next team death).
e) Add a mercy rule so that once your team is down by 15 you have the option to walk away gracefully.

Uneven games can be just as boring for the dominating team as it is for the underdogs (who now spend the match cowering in the shadows).

I’d say quitting should start with the minute ban then jump to 5, 10, 20, but that quit timer will reset say daily or weekly even just to really punish those that quit

I’ve always advocated having a system which matches “unruly” ( in lack of better terms ), with each other.
Have the same ban qualification system in place.
Then if you qualify for a ban, you’re out in a separate player pool consisting only of other players who qualify for that “ban”. Quitters, AFKers, betrayers and so forth.
Less rewards, no stats tracked and a few consecutive clean matches required to get out of the pool.

> 2533274819029930;9:
> Find a way to persuade the player base that Join In Progress isn’t a 100% bad thing and that it should be used wherever possible, just not in the most hardcore ranked playlists

JiP is a good solution, on paper, the issue with it is that it is not an enjoyable one, and the reward isn’t worth the inconvenience.

I think 343 really needs to consider that in ranked games. if your reduced to 50% of a team or start out at 50% of a team or less. Then you should get a positive toward moving up in rank if you lose. Now I’m not saying something equal to that of the winning team. But even if it’s only a small amount it gives the incentive of sticking around. And if you win. Due to it being an unbalanced team. You should get the points the quitters would have got for winning divided amongst you in addition to what your gonna get for winning as a reward for your achievement against all odds

The benefit to this would be that if someone quits. The next guy who was gonna quit might thing. “Hey maybe if I wait one of these other guys will quit. Even if it’s at the very end. And I’ll get the positive numbers.” But then everyone on the team may-or may not(it isnt a perfect world) think the same. So theres a good chance that say in arena 4v4 slayer. The unbalanced team stays at 3 because no one wants to be the final guy to drop out and lose a level instead of gain progress on one. Keeping the game 3v4. Which is still good odds in a lot of situations

> 2533274854980999;2:
> I agree with most of these points. I would really like the quitting/unfinished game percentage added. I think this should be posted on your service record for everyone to see.

So, you would be happy if your stats displayed a quit percentage for the disconnects you got ? Because that would happen, players would have quit stats despite never quitting.

Stat shaming will gain nothing.

> 2592250499819446;14:
> > 2533274854980999;2:
> > I agree with most of these points. I would really like the quitting/unfinished game percentage added. I think this should be posted on your service record for everyone to see.
>
> So, you would be happy if your stats displayed a quit percentage for the disconnects you got ? Because that would happen, players would have quit stats despite never quitting.
>
> Stat shaming will gain nothing.

If your connection is playing up that bad - stick to social playlists where dropouts don’t matter.

And I’ve been there. When we were on ADSL out internet was rubbish after it rained (wet copper). So I would either not play on those days - or stick to social / forge etc.

Besides - it would be easy to account for random drop outs… if they are truly random there should be a random spread of times and scores. But if your ‘dropouts’ only happen early in the game when you or your team are negative then you deserve to have your quit score shown for all to see.

> 2585548714655118;15:
> > 2592250499819446;14:
> > > 2533274854980999;2:
> > > I agree with most of these points. I would really like the quitting/unfinished game percentage added. I think this should be posted on your service record for everyone to see.
> >
> > So, you would be happy if your stats displayed a quit percentage for the disconnects you got ? Because that would happen, players would have quit stats despite never quitting.
> >
> > Stat shaming will gain nothing.
>
> If your connection is playing up that bad - stick to social playlists where dropouts don’t matter.
>
> And I’ve been there. When we were on ADSL out internet was rubbish after it rained (wet copper). So I would either not play on those days - or stick to social / forge etc.
>
> Besides - it would be easy to account for random drop outs… if they are truly random there should be a random spread of times and scores. But if your ‘dropouts’ only happen early in the game when you or your team are negative then you deserve to have your quit score shown for all to see.

I have no issues with connections playing up. I have a very good wired set up and did not mention bandwith, packet loss etc, because I’m not talking about that. I don’t know a single Xbox player who plays Halo 5 that has not randomly been kicked to dashboard in Halo 5.

Not disconnected from Xbox Live, just from the game, it happens. Those will show as quits too. And seeing as you brought up internet connection, yes that will show as a quit too. Naming and shaming DNF’s will not help stop quitting, it’s a pointless feature that would cause more hassle than anything else.

> 2592250499819446;14:
> > 2533274854980999;2:
> > I agree with most of these points. I would really like the quitting/unfinished game percentage added. I think this should be posted on your service record for everyone to see.
>
> So, you would be happy if your stats displayed a quit percentage for the disconnects you got ? Because that would happen, players would have quit stats despite never quitting.
>

It wouldnt be a quit percentage. It would be an unfinished game percentage. And players can read that however they like. It just means for one reason or another. This player will finish the game x% of time. No shame. Just facts.

> 2592250499819446;16:
> > 2585548714655118;15:
> > > 2592250499819446;14:
> > > > 2533274854980999;2:
> > > > I agree with most of these points. I would really like the quitting/unfinished game percentage added. I think this should be posted on your service record for everyone to see.
> > >
> > > So, you would be happy if your stats displayed a quit percentage for the disconnects you got ? Because that would happen, players would have quit stats despite never quitting.
> > >
> > > Stat shaming will gain nothing.
> >
> > If your connection is playing up that bad - stick to social playlists where dropouts don’t matter.
> >
> > And I’ve been there. When we were on ADSL out internet was rubbish after it rained (wet copper). So I would either not play on those days - or stick to social / forge etc.
> >
> > Besides - it would be easy to account for random drop outs… if they are truly random there should be a random spread of times and scores. But if your ‘dropouts’ only happen early in the game when you or your team are negative then you deserve to have your quit score shown for all to see.
>
> I have no issues with connections playing up. I have a very good wired set up and did not mention bandwith, packet loss etc, because I’m not talking about that. I don’t know a single Xbox player who plays Halo 5 that has not randomly been kicked to dashboard in Halo 5.
>
> Not disconnected from Xbox Live, just from the game, it happens. Those will show as quits too. And seeing as you brought up internet connection, yes that will show as a quit too. Naming and shaming DNF’s will not help stop quitting, it’s a pointless feature that would cause more hassle than anything else.

We are not talking about those people who have the occasional drop outs out of their control. That could happen to anyone… but should be rare… and I don’t think anyone would be ‘shamed’ by having a game completion of 99%.

And as I suggested, an algorithm could smooth things out for those people. Genuine drop outs should happen randomly through the game and cover a spread of scores. Your random drop outs should happen just as often late in the game when you are winning as it happens early in the game when you are losing. It would be simple to give each player a small ‘benefit of the doubt’ before penalising their completion stats.

No, what we are talking about is naming and shaming those people who always quit early… when they don’t get the map they want… or the weapon they want. Their internet only seems to drop out early in the game when their team is down… or their personal score is negative. They are the ones who need to have their game completion score presented as a badge of (dis)honour.

> 2592250499819446;14:
> > 2533274854980999;2:
>
>

There is no stat shaming involved, just facts. If someone has a -3.0 kda in H5, the stats still show on their service record. That player may have a lower speed internet connection that gives opponents an advantage, but the stats still show on their service record. I’ve never heard anyone mention wanting k/d stats on service records removed.

I’m a stats guy. I visit halotracker frequently and appreciate stats, both good and bad. The more in game stats, the better IMO.

> 2533274854980999;19:
> > 2592250499819446;14:
> > > 2533274854980999;2:
> > > I agree with most of these points. I would really like the quitting/unfinished game percentage added. I think this should be posted on your service record for everyone to see.
> >
> > So, you would be happy if your stats displayed a quit percentage for the disconnects you got ? Because that would happen, players would have quit stats despite never quitting.
> >
> > Stat shaming will gain nothing.
>
> There is no stat shaming involved, just facts. If someone has a -3.0 kda in H5, the stats still show on their service record. That player may have a lower speed internet connection that gives opponents an advantage, but the stats still show on their service record. I’ve never heard anyone mention wanting k/d stats on service records removed.
>
> I’m a stats guy. I visit halotracker frequently and appreciate stats, both good and bad. The more in game stats, the better IMO.

I think it’s a glass half empty/full thing.

In the context of this topic, displaying finished game percentages does lean more towards stat shaming.

Not to mention, the more games you get the lesser each game will impact on the overall percentage.
Once you get over 100 matches, remove the last two zeros and you’ll see how many games you need to change your percentage. If you have 500 matches, you need 5 matches to make an impact, 700 matches? 7 matches for a noticeable change. And so forth.