Idea on dual wielding in halo 4

Well in halo 3 if you dual wielded 1 gun it would suck against an AR and anything above it… the only useful way to use a one handed gun was to dual wield it or combo it with another gun. while the whole 2 guns thing was cool it sucked because it made the guns by themselves horrible

and as of halo 3 the BR can beat any dual wielder… (excluding certain combos)

So here is a proposal, an SMG by itself would kill someone in 2/tenths of a second faster than an assault rifle, making it a somewhat wanted weapon, however it does have some spread so it can be countered by an AR user by keeping a well distance (lets say 15 20 meters)

however, the SMG doesn’t end there, once it is dual wielded it can be used on TWO targets at the same time! heres how it will work, when one target enters your field of view and you see him, you will start shooting with either your left or right smg (or both) but when a second target comes into view whilst in that firefight, you have the option of pressing in the right thumbstick (the button used to zoom in) your reticule will split into 2 and the target you were already shooting at will remain your focus (it will stay locked on the center of the screen) but the other weapons reticule will follow the second enemy around, a little faster than auto aim already follows the enemy around in Reach and halo 3. if the second enemy gets too far away from the reticule it will flash red rapidly 3 times so that the user knows that there shots are missing and they can press in the zoom button again and the second reticule will refocus on the second enemy and follow him around a bit.

Edit: instead of pressing the right thumbstick in to REFOCUS the reticule onto the second enemy, you would just press in the thumbstick and while its pressed in just flick it in the direction of the enemy so that theirs more skill involved and its less automatic

Note: its effective range is 5 meters less than the assault rifle. Any farther and the bullets lose velocity and do lessdamage (no random ridicoulous spread though). Keep in mind at its effective range and closer all it takes is a single wielded smg to kill.

Expansion on this idea; at the effective range the reticule is red but when the enemy is farther away the reticule becomes a good orange hue.
what do you guys think?

Awesome idea!!
It would be sooo good to have two cursors while murdering noobs!!!
Reminds me of that epic scene in Halo legends when the Master Chief has two SMG’s and is just raping and sprinting haha

It should never come back. It was a pointless gimmick that took so much away from gameplay.

Halo is all about using your gun, nades and melee in tandem.

> It should never come back. It was a pointless gimmick that took so much away from gameplay.
>
>
> Halo is all about using your gun, nades and melee in tandem.

Yes you are right about the gun melee nade bit, but this dual wielding idea could add alot of new skill to halo

> It should never come back. It was a pointless gimmick that took so much away from gameplay.
>
>
> Halo is all about using your <mark>gun</mark>, nades and melee in tandem.

Give me two SMGs and dual wield i can beat the -Yoink- out of anynody thats in my way, even i have to admit dual wielding can sometime be overpowering .

It’s not bad. I still think that making the weapons stronger when single wielding and lowering the power of the individual weapon when dual wielding could help.

> Give me two SMGs and dual wield i can beat the Yoink! out of anynody thats in my way, even i have to admit dual wielding can sometime be overpowering .

well shoot, lets make it a power weapon than shall we!

its only effective at medium close range… so not like shot gun close, but not assault rifle close either, but in between… otherwise it will either spread too much and not hit your target , and not to close either or the other player will melee you and kill you

Just make dual-wielding much more inaccurate.

Similar to how the SMG always had reticle lift when you fired it, but perhaps with more of an impact.

> Just make dual-wielding much more inaccurate.
>
> Similar to how the SMG always had reticle lift when you fired it, but perhaps with more of an impact.

If there’s one thing Reach taught us, it’s that you shouldn’t just stick randomness on any old gun and expect it to work.

> > Just make dual-wielding much more inaccurate.
> >
> > Similar to how the SMG always had reticle lift when you fired it, but perhaps with more of an impact.
>
> If there’s one thing Reach taught us, it’s that you shouldn’t just stick randomness on any old gun and expect it to work.

Did you play Halo 2 or Halo 3? Reach has nothing to do with what I’m referring to.

That’s a really good system IMO. Needs a bit more balance to succeed but so far that sounds awesome.

> > > Just make dual-wielding much more inaccurate.
> > >
> > > Similar to how the SMG always had reticle lift when you fired it, but perhaps with more of an impact.
> >
> > If there’s one thing Reach taught us, it’s that you shouldn’t just stick randomness on any old gun and expect it to work.
>
> Did you play Halo 2 or Halo 3? Reach has nothing to do with what I’m referring to.

Yes, and I don’t like the idea. Stuff like reticle lift, bloom, et cetera should only be applied in very specific circumstances, not just slapped onto any weapon as a superficially-plausible fix.

Here’s my idea on this:

A dual-wieldable weapon on its own behaves like a normal gun. When you dual-wield it though, then you can have two options. One is to hold some button down to stay stationary and hit two different targets, using each thumbstick for a separate reticule. The other option is standard dual-wielding, hitting a single target, at the expense of melee (partially), and grenades.

Bump for the future of halo gameplay

I think it would just be easier to make duel wield weapons an actual weapon. By that I mean the weapon is already 2 of the same gun, like akimbo in COD you pick up both.

My opinion half way down- http://halo.xbox.com/Forums/yaf_postst51490_-official--What-Do-You-Want-In-Halo-4---Please-Add-Ideas.aspx

> I think it would just be easier to make duel wield weapons an actual weapon. By that I mean the weapon is already 2 of the same gun, like akimbo in COD you pick up both.

Then you can’t mix and match the weapons though.

> > I think it would just be easier to make duel wield weapons an actual weapon. By that I mean the weapon is already 2 of the same gun, like akimbo in COD you pick up both.
>
> Then you can’t mix and match the weapons though.

Halo 2/3 duel wield weapons were terrible, it was like splitting the power of the gun in half to prevent it from being powerful, it just created imbalances in the sandbox.

> > > I think it would just be easier to make duel wield weapons an actual weapon. By that I mean the weapon is already 2 of the same gun, like akimbo in COD you pick up both.
> >
> > Then you can’t mix and match the weapons though.
>
> Halo 2/3 duel wield weapons were terrible, it was like splitting the power of the gun in half to prevent it from being powerful, it just created imbalances in the sandbox.

And the only way to fix that is to make it so they’re always dual wielded? I don’t think so. That would just be a lazy quick fix and we’ve had enough of those.