Idea for Forge: Triggers/Buttons

Hello everyone. I have been thinking for a long time about what Forge needs to make it fresh besides new structure and scenery and more variety in maps. I came to the conclusion that this idea is something that would cause a Renaissance in the Halo Community through the creativity that could be achieved with it. It would add a new dimension to Forge, the 4th one, TIME.

I beg that you read some of what I have to say; I know there’s a lot, but that’s for people who think they can see the potential in this. I really want to get ideas from the Community for how this could be used, certain issues that we could expect with it, etc. Any sort of comment, including criticism, is appreciated. Help me with this, guys. And this is not Halo 4-specific, it’s a general request to 343 that at some point they implement this.

CONCEPT:
Player-activated triggers that initiate pre-recorded events in Forged map.

SIMPLE EXAMPLES:
-Open doors
-Shut down shield doors
-Create low-grav area
-Cause weapon or vehicle spawns/drops
-Initiate teleportation
-Add visual and audio filters

TYPES OF TRIGGERS
BUTTON- manually activated by Spartans; there can be a few types, such as UNSC, Covenant, and a few Forerunner types. Example types would be a UNSC computer, Forerunner terminal, levers, etc.

TRIPZONE- The Forger specifies a zone that triggers when entered by a Spartan; color customizable; Tripzones could have different event triggers for entering and leaving the zone

TIMER- These are out of the Spartans’ control; they are simply activated when a designated amount of time passes, players killed, points earned, etc.

GENERATOR- Trigger that has a specified health and when destroyed triggers the event; think Generator Defense or that battery that held the bridge up on Last Resort.

Note: Triggers can have charging time, where the player must constantly be activating it (holding button/standing in zone) for a specified amount of time. Triggers can be set to reset after a certain period of time, or can have 2 different alternating events (door opening, door closing).

METHOD #1 FOR TRIGGER FORGING [PREFERRED]:
Forgeable by recording physical triggered actions as the monitor (moving/deleting/spawning in-game options, zones used for specifying shield loss, anti-grav. There can be a meter similar to the budget that depletes as actions are used to prevent XBOX/server explosions. Players could even record multiple events and overlap them so that one person can record many different actions in an event.

METHOD #2 FOR TRIGGER FORGING:
Forgeable by having triggers cause new phases of the map, like Invasion. This would not be as good as we couldn’t have transitions, and each phase’s changes would only occur all at once.

SIMPLE MAP EXAMPLES
Fortified asymmetrical map for 1-flag CTF, where attackers must destroy a generator or press a button to open a gate, allowing them to bring heavy vehicles through the gate and into the defenders’ fortress

Zombie map with Timer Triggers that cause slow shield and health decay over time (like radiation) and the Survivors must make it to the safe room (with button activated doors) to survive.

Space map where players can press a button to open a hangar door or disable a shield door and cause low-grav as well as space sound filters.

Indiana Jones-style obstacle courses where tripzones trigger events such as a Killball chase, the ground to open up, detonation of mines, and more [Thanks to Jace Taran]

A Hunger Games form of Infection where the Infected is hidden in the sky/ceiling with levers that cause explosions, radiation (shield decay), weapon drops, etc. while the other players fight for survival. Maybe there is a -Yoink- in the map (a Generator trigger) that when shot causes the Gamemaker to fall from his box to get destroyed by the contestants [Thanks to TypicalClock]

COMPLICATED MAP EXAMPLES
A fortified Zombie map where survivors can use a button trigger to spawn a one-dimensional red visible Tripwire trigger zone in front of a doorway that when breached activates an explosion event. The zombies however can destroy a Generator trigger that destroys the other triggers and also kills the lights, allowing them to hunt down Spartans in the darkness penetrated only by the scanning lasers of their Promethean Vision (in an E3 interview someone said they are working on some sort of effect on Spartans using PV) before emergency floodlights as well as Auto Sentries are activated by a Spartan using a 20 second charged trigger.

Maps that start out empty and have many Tripzones that cause the map to build or materialize as the player moves through it (like Inception), or stealth maps that have motion-activated lights, or maps that have a feature similar to Clairvoyance in Skyrim where when the player steps in certain zones, the path to a power weapon or objective to be illuminated.

2-player+ puzzle maps where there is glass between the players and they must complete obstacles to activate buttons to help the other player, like the beginning of Portal 2 coop. I’m sure a clever individual could use the triggers idea and set up Generator triggers all around a room that activate portals to create a Portal map.

BTB maps with weak points in the structure of certain forts so that if shot by a Scorpion or Wraith enough will cause the whole thing to collapse. “Builders” can go back to that weak spot and after pressing a charged button trigger (similar to arming a Bomb) can repair the building.

Space map where triggers cause a breach in the ship and gravity lifts or shield doors send players out into a low-grav, dark, silent space zone to battle. [Thanks to Jace Taran]

I hope you can see how deep this would make Forge 3.0; the mini-games, puzzle maps, Zombie maps, Invasion maps, BTB maps, space maps, even 4v4 competitive maps would all benefit greatly from 343 giving the ability to players to set triggers in their maps.

Please comment with support, criticism, ideas, anything. Thank you SO MUCH for spending your precious time to read this. I am going to add a list of ALL of the community’s ideas for this after enough have commented.

I really like this idea. Triggers was one of the things that helped Starcraft gain so much customizability to its map creator. It made the limits of what you could do endless. I would love to see this or some variation thereof implemented to forge, at the least the doors.

Certainly would save on having to use explosive canisters, man cannons, and mines.

> I really like this idea. Triggers was one of the things that helped Starcraft gain so much customizability to its map creator. It made the limits of what you could do endless. I would love to see this or some variation thereof implemented to forge, at the least the doors.

Thank you for the support, my friend

> Certainly would save on having to use explosive canisters, man cannons, and mines.

Yeah, it would simplify many aspects of Forge

Sounds good to me. I just hope Forge is better than it was in Reach.

YES, this would make it so much simpler to activate things

currently, you have to do the thing where you hide a mine in a shielded wall, and when the mine esplodes, you have to have something drop, and then it hits another thing, and then that thing blows up…it just too damn hard to make a door open :stuck_out_tongue:

If it’s not in H4 Forge already, it probably won’t be at this point; not enough time left. Still, would be a good idea for 5 and beyond (assuming they in fact haven’t added it to H4; for all we know, it’s one of their “significant improvements” they’ve hinted at).

Either way, this would be an excellent idea. It would help enormously to make the maps more dynamic, and less static and boring. Even the coolest maps can get boring after a while if nothing ever changes. Even people who just make purely aesthetic maps could use it to make their aesthetic maps more fun to explore, because people could actually do stuff beyond just admiring static scenery. And just think of all the cool mini-games, races, and puzzle maps that people could make with it.

Even people making more serious maps could make use of it. Just imagine a really good invasion map using this. If done right, this sort of thing could make it feel just a tiny bit more like a campaign level, only against player-controlled enemies rather than AI (a feeling that a well-done Invasion map can pull off).

Speaking of AI, I know we’ll never get bots (even in Forge), as MS doesn’t want people to use bots as an excuse not to buy Gold. But if we could add bots as well, this would make Invasion maps even more epic, especially if combined with the trigger idea. Just make an invasion map with the red team versus campaign AI (no human-controlled players at all), use the three phases to create “campaign objectives” for the red team, and you have a sort of Forged campaign level. Then, you could add triggers to make the map more immersive, dynamic, and interactive, perhaps even using them to craft “scripted events.” Like I said, bots will never happen, but they would be so cool.

> YES, this would make it so much simpler to activate things
>
> currently, you have to do the thing where you hide a mine in a shielded wall, and when the mine esplodes, you have to have something drop, and then it hits another thing, and then that thing blows up…it just too damn hard to make a door open :stuck_out_tongue:

Ah, yes. Having to waste both time and budget to make a Rube Goldberg machine just to get anything done…only to have it fail half the time (rotation glitches screwing it up, inconsistent physics, etc).

Don’t get me wrong; I love Rube Goldberg machines, but only when that’s the whole point of the map. If I just want to get something simple done, I’d rather save the time & money, and perhaps most importantly, have it more reliable.

> YES, this would make it so much simpler to activate things
>
> currently, you have to do the thing where you hide a mine in a shielded wall, and when the mine esplodes, you have to have something drop, and then it hits another thing, and then that thing blows up…it just too damn hard to make a door open :stuck_out_tongue:

I know, it would be a piece of cake with triggers.

> If it’s not in H4 Forge already, it probably won’t be at this point; not enough time left. Still, would be a good idea for 5 and beyond (assuming they in fact haven’t added it to H4; for all we know, it’s one of their “significant improvements” they’ve hinted at).
>
> Either way, this would be an excellent idea. It would help enormously to make the maps more dynamic, and less static and boring. Even the coolest maps can get boring after a while if nothing ever changes. Even people who just make purely aesthetic maps could use it to make their aesthetic maps more fun to explore, because people could actually do stuff beyond just admiring static scenery. And just think of all the cool mini-games, races, and puzzle maps that people could make with it.
>
> Even people making more serious maps could make use of it. Just imagine a really good invasion map using this. If done right, this sort of thing could make it feel just a tiny bit more like a campaign level, only against player-controlled enemies rather than AI (a feeling that a well-done Invasion map can pull off).
>
> Speaking of AI, I know we’ll never get bots (even in Forge), as MS doesn’t want people to use bots as an excuse not to buy Gold. But if we could add bots as well, this would make Invasion maps even more epic, especially if combined with the trigger idea. Just make an invasion map with the red team versus campaign AI (no human-controlled players at all), use the three phases to create “campaign objectives” for the red team, and you have a sort of Forged campaign level. Then, you could add triggers to make the map more immersive, dynamic, and interactive, perhaps even using them to craft “scripted events.” Like I said, bots will never happen, but they would be so cool.

Yeah, I’m guessing this is out of reach for Halo 4, but not at all for the others.

I agree, it would add a whole new interactivity layer to all sorts of maps. For competitive MLG maps, they could be used for some subtler events.

And yes, AI is another major change that I believe would have possibly an even greater effect than triggers for Forge, but would of course be more difficult for Forged maps. And I agree that triggers would make objective gametypes feel much more like Campaign.

You guys have any ideas for maps that could use triggers? I’ll add them to the lists

> You guys have any ideas for maps that could use triggers? I’ll add them to the lists

I JUST HAD A GREAT IDEA! You could make the hunger games in H4. The map could have all these traps around that some person up in the sky controls with levers, while the players down below battle it out!

> > You guys have any ideas for maps that could use triggers? I’ll add them to the lists
>
> I JUST HAD A GREAT IDEA! You could make the hunger games in H4. The map could have all these traps around that some person up in the sky controls with levers, while the players down below battle it out!

Speaking of traps, triggers would allow for some pretty cool Indiana Jones-style maps, or pretty much any type of obstacle course.

> > > You guys have any ideas for maps that could use triggers? I’ll add them to the lists
> >
> > I JUST HAD A GREAT IDEA! You could make the hunger games in H4. The map could have all these traps around that some person up in the sky controls with levers, while the players down below battle it out!
>
> Speaking of traps, triggers would allow for some pretty cool Indiana Jones-style maps, or pretty much any type of obstacle course.

That would be awesome with the Thruster Pack, Remote Detonator, Sprint, some tripwire, and of course a Killball.

The editor used in trials evolution has a triggers system that can be used to make track pieces maneuvere or fall.

Triggers, along with their sequences, could work in a way similar to portals.

You choose a number for a sequence, and a corresponding number for the trigger(s) that activate it.

Here’s a situation where you could use triggers:

Say you have a space station or spaceship map. Could be a standard slayer map, an invasion map, whatever. You add triggers that cause a section of the hull to be deleted. Upon deletion of the hull, a special “zone” is either activated or spawned in that sucks players out through the hole, into an instant killzone (that, or else layered one-way shields with the blue side facing down to do the suction). Then, shortly afterwards, the special zone (or one-way shield stack) is removed, and a one-way shield (red side down) is spawned in to cover the hole in the…hull.

In other words, you could have a hull breach, followed by explosive decompression (complete with those unlucky enough to be nearby thrown out to their death), and then an “emergency shield” closing the breach shortly afterwards.

so will there be forge in halo 4?

> so will there be forge in halo 4?

Yep, it was confirmed quite a while ago.

This could also help with Cops n’ Robbers, Race maps and “Fat Kid/King” games