Idea for a better Boltshot / new Promethean weapon

UPDATE: I had the concept of the weapon and its function separately from the Boltshot, saw the community’s less-than-great impressions on the Boltshot and thought about my weapon design being the design for the Boltshot. That doesn’t have to be the case, I don’t have a problem with the Boltshot staying as is and this weapon (hypothetically, of course) being an entirely new Promethean weapon.

I’ll start by saying that I’ve literally just thought of this. I haven’t put a right lot of thought into balancing yet, I’ve only just conceptualised it and was interested to see what other people would think. Just a thought process, I obviously don’t think that this would ever be added into Halo 5, and if 343 saw this and implemented it in Halo 6 it would be a friggin’ miracle. Anyhoo, I feel that the Promethean weapons really don’t feel like Forerunner weapons, so I had this idea for the Boltshot…

How about giving the Boltshot the same primary fire in Halo 4 (semi-auto) but give it a little damage buff to 7 rounds for a kill and a 14-round magazine. No zoom, but I suppose some kind of Smart-Link would be hamfisted into this weapon too, if we’re talking about it in Halo 5’s sandbox. It would be viable at close range in a pinch, but would fall short against precision and automatic weapons unless you really knew what you were doing. However, if you hold down the trigger, all of the rounds in the mag charge up and the Boltshot releases a sentinel beam over 2-3 seconds that depletes the magazine, capable of killing an enemy at medium range if you account for some recoil. So basically, two kills per mag at short range, one kill per mag at medium range.

Pros - Accurate semi-auto mode is decent in a 1v1, sentinel beam can take down a Spartan at medium range if you land almost the entire shot on them.

Cons - Small magazine increases risk of losing engagement if you aren’t accurate, sentinel beam mode fires all at once when you charge, so you better be on target when you charge.

As I said, just a thought. I’m open for opinions and such that would fine-tune the idea or explain why it wouldn’t work for whatever reason :slight_smile:

Just put it back to the way it was in Halo 4. The pocket shotgun was fine was it was. Aside, perhaps, from making the primary fire actually useful to a certain extent so people didnt soley use the burst mode.

> 2533274907200114;2:
> Just put it back to the way it was in Halo 4. The pocket shotgun was fine was it was. Aside, perhaps, from making the primary fire actually useful to a certain extent so people didnt soley use the burst mode.

I don’t think the pocket shotgun was necessarily “fine”…

> 2533274907200114;2:
> Just put it back to the way it was in Halo 4. The pocket shotgun was fine was it was. Aside, perhaps, from making the primary fire actually useful to a certain extent so people didnt soley use the burst mode.

The H4 boltshot was a nightmare, I vastly prefer the H5 design.

So the semi auto firing would basically be a shorter range carbine? The charge beam seems pretty OP for a pistol. I personally like the way it is now, the noobs BR.

> 2533275031939856;5:
> So the semi auto firing would basically be a shorter range carbine? The charge beam seems pretty OP for a pistol. I personally like the way it is now, the noobs BR.

Well as a pick up weapon the fact that it’s a pistol is negligible, rather than it being compared to other pistols it should be compared to low-tier power weapons. That’s how I’m envisioning it, at least.

> 2533274907200114;2:

Lol. entire halo community- WRONG!

> 2533274849069111;6:
> > 2533275031939856;5:
> > So the semi auto firing would basically be a shorter range carbine? The charge beam seems pretty OP for a pistol. I personally like the way it is now, the noobs BR.
>
> Well as a pick up weapon the fact that it’s a pistol is negligible, rather than it being compared to other pistols it should be compared to low-tier power weapons. That’s how I’m envisioning it, at least.

Hmm if it worked on those kind of spawns… I’d really have to test it out for myself. I just really like where the boltshot is at now lol

I’m kind of like this design. If done right, this could make the Boltshot way cooler.

> 2533274803493024;4:
> > 2533274907200114;2:
> > Just put it back to the way it was in Halo 4. The pocket shotgun was fine was it was. Aside, perhaps, from making the primary fire actually useful to a certain extent so people didnt soley use the burst mode.
>
> The H4 boltshot was a nightmare, I vastly prefer the H5 design.

A big part of that reason was due to it being a loadout weapon. If the Boltshot was treated as a Tier 2 power weapon and was properly balanced with the other shotguns in the game (maybe a shorter range), it could work.

> 2533274808386392;10:
> > 2533274803493024;4:
> > > 2533274907200114;2:
> > > Just put it back to the way it was in Halo 4. The pocket shotgun was fine was it was. Aside, perhaps, from making the primary fire actually useful to a certain extent so people didnt soley use the burst mode.
> >
> > The H4 boltshot was a nightmare, I vastly prefer the H5 design.
>
> A big part of that reason was due to it being a loadout weapon. If the Boltshot was treated as a Tier 2 power weapon and was properly balanced with the other shotguns in the game (maybe a shorter range), it could work.

Even then though, bring the mauler back or throw a scattershot on the map. The boltshot was pretty useless in its non-shotgun mode in H4 so it was used as a -Yoink- shotgun.

> 2533274803493024;11:
> > 2533274808386392;10:
> > > 2533274803493024;4:
> > > > 2533274907200114;2:
> > > > Just put it back to the way it was in Halo 4. The pocket shotgun was fine was it was. Aside, perhaps, from making the primary fire actually useful to a certain extent so people didnt soley use the burst mode.
> > >
> > > The H4 boltshot was a nightmare, I vastly prefer the H5 design.
> >
> > A big part of that reason was due to it being a loadout weapon. If the Boltshot was treated as a Tier 2 power weapon and was properly balanced with the other shotguns in the game (maybe a shorter range), it could work.
>
> Even then though, bring the mauler back or throw a scattershot on the map. The boltshot was pretty useless in its non-shotgun mode in H4 so it was used as a -Yoink- shotgun.

Perhaps my weapon design could be for an entirely new Promethean weapon, and the Boltshot’s function can be changed to mirror the Mauler?

> 2533274803493024;11:
> > 2533274808386392;10:
> > > 2533274803493024;4:
> > > > 2533274907200114;2:
> > > > Just put it back to the way it was in Halo 4. The pocket shotgun was fine was it was. Aside, perhaps, from making the primary fire actually useful to a certain extent so people didnt soley use the burst mode.
> > >
> > > The H4 boltshot was a nightmare, I vastly prefer the H5 design.
> >
> > A big part of that reason was due to it being a loadout weapon. If the Boltshot was treated as a Tier 2 power weapon and was properly balanced with the other shotguns in the game (maybe a shorter range), it could work.
>
> Even then though, bring the mauler back or throw a scattershot on the map. The boltshot was pretty useless in its non-shotgun mode in H4 so it was used as a -Yoink- shotgun.

Fair enough, I guess having the shotgun function on the Boltshot is pretty redundant. But, as much as I love the Mauler, what does it really bring to the game when there isn’t dual-wielding? It worked in Halo 3, when you could use two of them or pair it up with a different weapon, but it doesn’t really serve any distinct purpose otherwise.

I feel like all of the Forerunner weapons are pretty redundant, just being flashier versions of UNSC weapons. The Boltshot and Scattershot in Halo 5 are neat, I guess, because they track enemies, but the Scattershot, Light Rifle, Binary Rifle and Incineration Cannon are just a Shotgun, Rifle, Sniper and Rocket Launcher. The Light Rifle and Boltshot in Halo 4 were at least interesting, since they had two functions. I would love to see Forerunner weapons really do something different to stand out. They’re meant to be designed by super advanced aliens, so they should be exotic weapons that represent that.

> 2533274808386392;13:
> > 2533274803493024;11:
> > > 2533274808386392;10:
> > > > 2533274803493024;4:
> > > > > 2533274907200114;2:
> > > > > Just put it back to the way it was in Halo 4. The pocket shotgun was fine was it was. Aside, perhaps, from making the primary fire actually useful to a certain extent so people didnt soley use the burst mode.
> > > >
> > > > The H4 boltshot was a nightmare, I vastly prefer the H5 design.
> > >
> > > A big part of that reason was due to it being a loadout weapon. If the Boltshot was treated as a Tier 2 power weapon and was properly balanced with the other shotguns in the game (maybe a shorter range), it could work.
> >
> > Even then though, bring the mauler back or throw a scattershot on the map. The boltshot was pretty useless in its non-shotgun mode in H4 so it was used as a -Yoink- shotgun.
>
> Fair enough, I guess having the shotgun function on the Boltshot is pretty redundant. But, as much as I love the Mauler, what does it really bring to the game when there isn’t dual-wielding? It worked in Halo 3, when you could use two of them or pair it up with a different weapon, but it doesn’t really serve any distinct purpose otherwise.
>
> I feel like all of the Forerunner weapons are pretty redundant, just being flashier versions of UNSC weapons. The Boltshot and Scattershot in Halo 5 are neat, I guess, because they track enemies, but the Scattershot, Light Rifle, Binary Rifle and Incineration Cannon are just a Shotgun, Rifle, Sniper and Rocket Launcher. The Light Rifle and Boltshot in Halo 4 were at least interesting, since they had two functions. I would love to see Forerunner weapons really do something different to stand out. They’re meant to be designed by super advanced aliens, so they should be exotic weapons that represent that.

True, Late Night Gaming just released a video talking about the Prometheans and the weapons they used and he had the same points that you do. The Prometheans lack identity and variety

> 2533274849069111;14:
> > 2533274808386392;13:
> > > 2533274803493024;11:
> > > > 2533274808386392;10:
> > > > > 2533274803493024;4:
> > > > > > 2533274907200114;2:
> > > > > > Just put it back to the way it was in Halo 4. The pocket shotgun was fine was it was. Aside, perhaps, from making the primary fire actually useful to a certain extent so people didnt soley use the burst mode.
> > > > >
> > > > > The H4 boltshot was a nightmare, I vastly prefer the H5 design.
> > > >
> > > > A big part of that reason was due to it being a loadout weapon. If the Boltshot was treated as a Tier 2 power weapon and was properly balanced with the other shotguns in the game (maybe a shorter range), it could work.
> > >
> > > Even then though, bring the mauler back or throw a scattershot on the map. The boltshot was pretty useless in its non-shotgun mode in H4 so it was used as a -Yoink- shotgun.
> >
> > Fair enough, I guess having the shotgun function on the Boltshot is pretty redundant. But, as much as I love the Mauler, what does it really bring to the game when there isn’t dual-wielding? It worked in Halo 3, when you could use two of them or pair it up with a different weapon, but it doesn’t really serve any distinct purpose otherwise.
> >
> > I feel like all of the Forerunner weapons are pretty redundant, just being flashier versions of UNSC weapons. The Boltshot and Scattershot in Halo 5 are neat, I guess, because they track enemies, but the Scattershot, Light Rifle, Binary Rifle and Incineration Cannon are just a Shotgun, Rifle, Sniper and Rocket Launcher. The Light Rifle and Boltshot in Halo 4 were at least interesting, since they had two functions. I would love to see Forerunner weapons really do something different to stand out. They’re meant to be designed by super advanced aliens, so they should be exotic weapons that represent that.
>
> True, Late Night Gaming just released a video talking about the Prometheans and the weapons they used and he had the same points that you do. The Prometheans lack identity and variety

I saw that he made a video about them, and I’ve been meaning to take a look at it. I’m glad that he brings up those points though, as I’m sure many feel the same way.

> 2533274808386392;15:
> > 2533274849069111;14:
> > > 2533274808386392;13:
> > > > 2533274803493024;11:
> > > > > 2533274808386392;10:
> > > > > > 2533274803493024;4:
> > > > > > > 2533274907200114;2:
> > > > > > > Just put it back to the way it was in Halo 4. The pocket shotgun was fine was it was. Aside, perhaps, from making the primary fire actually useful to a certain extent so people didnt soley use the burst mode.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > The H4 boltshot was a nightmare, I vastly prefer the H5 design.
> > > > >
> > > > > A big part of that reason was due to it being a loadout weapon. If the Boltshot was treated as a Tier 2 power weapon and was properly balanced with the other shotguns in the game (maybe a shorter range), it could work.
> > > >
> > > > Even then though, bring the mauler back or throw a scattershot on the map. The boltshot was pretty useless in its non-shotgun mode in H4 so it was used as a -Yoink- shotgun.
> > >
> > > Fair enough, I guess having the shotgun function on the Boltshot is pretty redundant. But, as much as I love the Mauler, what does it really bring to the game when there isn’t dual-wielding? It worked in Halo 3, when you could use two of them or pair it up with a different weapon, but it doesn’t really serve any distinct purpose otherwise.
> > >
> > > I feel like all of the Forerunner weapons are pretty redundant, just being flashier versions of UNSC weapons. The Boltshot and Scattershot in Halo 5 are neat, I guess, because they track enemies, but the Scattershot, Light Rifle, Binary Rifle and Incineration Cannon are just a Shotgun, Rifle, Sniper and Rocket Launcher. The Light Rifle and Boltshot in Halo 4 were at least interesting, since they had two functions. I would love to see Forerunner weapons really do something different to stand out. They’re meant to be designed by super advanced aliens, so they should be exotic weapons that represent that.
> >
> > True, Late Night Gaming just released a video talking about the Prometheans and the weapons they used and he had the same points that you do. The Prometheans lack identity and variety
>
> I saw that he made a video about them, and I’ve been meaning to take a look at it. I’m glad that he brings up those points though, as I’m sure many feel the same way.

Yeah, I hope that signifies that the community at least partially feel with what he’s saying. He does offer some suggestions for improvement, and I agree with him wholeheartedly, which isn’t very common :stuck_out_tongue: I especially liked one idea where different Promethean castes were different colours, because the lore-strangled idea that everything has to be orange because orange=Didact-but-not-really-now interferes with gameplay because everything looks the same. He also points out that Promethean weapons that home in on enemies punishes players for playing the game like a Halo game, where you are constantly on the move, which is a spot-on observation.

There’s a lot more I could go over from his video but it’s like twenty minutes long. I’ll probably make a thread and bullet point the main arguments soon.

Taking the new HCS changes into consideration, each player doesn’t have much of an argument against picking up the Boltshot (since you have no secondary weapon). Therefore, the Boltshot can be a relevant secondary to each player’s Magnum (which is now their primary). I can definitely see the Boltshot being the “clean up” weapon, using its tracking bolts to finish a kill that you got weak with your pistol.

I would prefer that the boltshot stayed the same. In my opinion.

Boltshot needs to move from 7 shots to 9 shots, increase projectile speed on both smart link and hip fire, but decrease tracking. Meaning its easier to strafe dodge the projectiles but one can land hits better if they are accurate.
Also needs a slight fire rate increase and regain headshot properties.
Open hand will receive these changes, with Closed Fist will move from 11 bursts to 13 bursts.

The boltshot is more of a anti-noob weapon, so needing its ‘anti-noob’ properties and making it better against pro players is the go too.

It’s worth noting that due to the way it tracks on the body headshotting will be tricky.