I'd like some Feedback on my Halo Reach Machinima that I'm making.

Hello everyone, I am INSANE CHIPMONK, a die-hard Halo fan, and I’ve decided that I’m going to attempt a serious Machinima. My central idea lies around the idea of a Spartan team. It’s mentioned in Reach that there are other Spartan teams around Reach, besides the obvious one’s from Fall of Reach. I did some extensive research and there are Spartan teams mentioned, but there is, in fact, no detail but into these squads besides names, so i thought this would be an excellent blank canvas.

The names of the two teams are Gauntlet and Echo, they were mentioned by Kat in the level New Alexandria. I decided to go with Echo team, and basically I just want to make what would be considered a true Halo experience, while also trying to remind people that the Spartans, although trained for war, still have a bit of a human side.

Now I’m not quite sure if I’m going to make it a normal series or a trilogy of movies. My story spans over the entire fight with the Covenant on Reach.

What I’m looking for is some feedback, ideas, likes, dislikes, maybe you even want to help me out? Who knows… Anyways thanks for taking the time to look at my post, and I hope you all provide some good feedback.

~INSANE CHIPMONK~

nice idea. i like it, and i would certainly make it canon-wise as possible. Maybe research Echo team on halopedia. I would definiatly watch this though

Sweet thanks!

If you plan on voice acting, it will fail.

How so?

> If you plan on voice acting, it will fail.

Guess you don’t like voice acting then. But how do you know it would fail then it may not if their serious on doing a good machinima.

How many serious machinima’s do you see with decent voice acting at all? Your better off avoiding it, I’m not saying it will be bad. It is a mere suggestion. Many do fail is what I’m saying.

Well I mean I kinda need people to talk… otherwise it’s just me playing halo… and yeah. It shouldn’t be a problem, I go to an art school I have actor’s all around me. There’s bound to be non-crappy ones. But I know what you mean. It’s mostly because people who make machinima don’t know anything about directing or acting.

The problem with voice acting in machinimas is that they don’t sound convincing, for obvious reasons.

By the way if you’re machinima involves a female:
In the case you aquire a chick who feels like doing voice-overs. (make sure you keep out the lame attention to the girl that some machinimas do) I suggest you don’t do what a lot of machinimas do, and make her out to be some kind of self important bad -Yoink-. I would suggest you do something like make her the team leader, but make her out to be hard-pressed, decisive, aggressive, mean. A killer.

Back to dialogue though, I would simply say, to look up military radio chatter at youtube. Take notes on how they talk. Vietnam era, Modern Warefare Era, what ever you can find.

OH! And a final suggestion. Keep things natural.

For instance, if someone is required to say something, and let’s say they in the spirit of the script must act tired, make sure they don’t ACT tired, but have them run or jog, or do push-ups, and then have them say their lines, and make sure to record it as such the first time.

If someone is to panic, don’t have them scream, and act like they are abandoning all logic, try to get the actor to act as though is trying to remain calm, though is obviously under stress. I hope you get what I mean.

> The problem with voice acting in machinimas is that they don’t sound convincing, for obvious reasons.
>
>
>
> By the way if you’re machinima involves a female:
> In the case you aquire a chick who feels like doing voice-overs. (make sure you keep out the lame attention to the girl that some machinimas do) I suggest you don’t do what a lot of machinimas do, and make her out to be some kind of self important bad Yoink!. I would suggest you do something like make her the team leader, but make her out to be hard-pressed, decisive, aggressive, mean. A killer.
>
> Back to dialogue though, I would simply say, to look up military radio chatter at youtube. Take notes on how they talk. Vietnam era, Modern Warefare Era, what ever you can find.
>
> OH! And a final suggestion. Keep things natural.
>
> For instance, if someone is required to say something, and let’s say they in the spirit of the script must act tired, make sure they don’t ACT tired, but have them run or jog, or do push-ups, and then have them say their lines, and make sure to record it as such the first time.
>
> If someone is to panic, don’t have them scream, and act like they are abandoning all logic, try to get the actor to act as though is trying to remain calm, though is obviously under stress. I hope you get what I mean.

I totally get what you mean! Don’t worry, I get it. And I will plan for it!

Also, see if you have a friend who is a post-production whiz. He can mix and edit the sound to great success!

Yeah, editing is important to success for any video.

Voice editing would work as well. Adding back-round noise to radio communications as an example.

Already got that covered my roommate is a sound arts major, so post sound is all covered really :smiley:

All in all what I’m really waiting for is the new map pack to come out so i can use one of the maps, the first episode should be done end of march, or sometime in april, if all goes well that is. So anyways that’s when it’s gonna come around. Thank you all for the feedback it’s good to hear some support! Even a community leader! :smiley:

Sounds good, I have worked on script of machinima, but well its only at paper. Your idea as I said sounds good. I think using different overlays/after effects/mods, etc. can be good idea if done skillfully in machinimas. Like adding Scarabs, or Covenant Cruiser floating on skies.
I am not expert how to use those ect, but if you can find someone skillfully effects master, your machinima will get totally new dimension & depth.

So when are you taking auditions? :slight_smile:

> So when are you taking auditions? :slight_smile:

Auditions!?! Woah never really thought of that. I guess that’s a good alternative, if I can’t find some real people. I have a certain amount of people that I was going to have do voices, but it’s not all filled up. So if I have left overs I’ll throw up a new forum post looking for auditions! :smiley: I’ll even PM you, just cause you asked. Got it on a sticky note.