I would pay more for dedicated servers

Halo 2 through Halo Reach has had one constant, the host advantage factor. All matchmaking players are not created equal. I would pay more money to play Halo 4 on dedicated servers.

I’m just a guy who’s seen too many opponents survive what looked like a snipe to the face on my tv. :slight_smile:

Gears 3 has them. I’m just sayin’.

Halo’s Matchmaking System is fine. It has evolved A LOT since the Halo 2 days. And it’ll most likely be more refined in Halo 4. There’s no need. In fact, I don’t think any console games need dedicated servers IMO.

Plus you can’t even join matchmaking games in progress, of course. Unless 343 decides to change that.

It’s better than average games, I’ll give you that. But nothing ever beats dedicated servers. If you don’t think host still has an advantage then we aren’t playing the same game. For a game like Halo, for as serious as some people take it, it needs the servers.

Yeah, dedicated servers for halo 4 would be fun, the online gameplay would be a lot better withouth all those black screens and all the lag, but they cost a lot of $$$ to keep them running. I don’t think that 343i are going to put them on halo 4

> Halo’s Matchmaking System is fine. It has evolved A LOT since the Halo 2 days. And it’ll most likely be more refined in Halo 4. There’s no need. In fact, I don’t think any console games need dedicated servers IMO.
>
> Plus you can’t even join matchmaking games in progress, of course. Unless 343 decides to change that.

It’s using the exact same host system used in Halo 2.

That’s 8 years of the same networking. -.-

I would definitely pay more for dedicated servers. I black screen every game in Reach…

Or you know they could be free like other games.

> Or you know they could be free like other games.

What do you mean by free? Servers cost money, a lot of money.

I think he was talking about how Gears and other games do it at no additional cost. Don’t forget, you are paying $50 a year or paying monthly for xbox live by itself.

> Halo’s Matchmaking System is fine. It has evolved A LOT since the Halo 2 days. And it’ll most likely be more refined in Halo 4. There’s no need. In fact, I don’t think any console games need dedicated servers IMO.
>
> Plus you can’t even join matchmaking games in progress, of course. Unless 343 decides to change that.

Thats very ignorant. Games like Battlefield3 would be horrible without Dedi Servers.
Dedi server should be a go from the start. It would change Halo much more. And people with real skill could shine. Like OP said, from Halo2 to reach only the HOST is important. Which is sad.

> It’s using the exact same host system used in Halo 2.
>
> That’s 8 years of the same networking. -.-
>
> I would definitely pay more for dedicated servers. I black screen every game in Reach…

The black screen issue is probably more related to the number of people that quit Reach games. Not that this issue couldn’t be fixed with dedicated servers. I personally have no major issue with P to P, and the Reach net code has evolved significantly from past Halo games. Gameplay is far more consistent then even Halo 3. Still, Dedicated Servers would not be bad new in my books, just not the primary feature I want in Halo 4.

they would be awesome, but i wouldn’t pay more. $60 is stupid high as it is.

First of all, I owuld pay to play on a dedicated server since teh matchmaking experience is far supperior, after playing a game which has dedicated servers, Halo is far to random and in-concistent when it comes to matchmaking.
Battlefield 3 has dedicated servers, they even let you rent your own server?! and host games with your settings, hardcore, customs, or just a game-mode you like on maps you love. Clans can hire servers and battle other clans, even tournaments can be arranged, and the servers can be reached by anyone online, no more “invite only”.
Homefront has dedicated servers, and despite a low population, I’ve never seen a blackscreen, never played with unbalanced teams, never had a teammate quit who’s not replaced, never had a laggy game (compared to Halo).
Section 8 Prejudice does offer it, and that is just a Live Arcade title for a few $, still they can have servers for 32 players without breaking a sweat!
Gears 3 has dedicated servers since Epic realised that p2p is a system that should have been abandoned in the 90s, it’s to random to ever be able to give a truly good matchamking experience, a competitive one.

• Are you tired of playing social games where people quit and you’ll have to play 1 VS4 or 2 Vs8?
    Wouldn’t it be better f other players could join instantly as soon as someone quit, and hence keep the teams even?

• Do you think that black-screen is a great feature that you’ll love to see when you play, when the host quits?
    Or would you prefer a system where anyone can quit and the game just keep going without any issues?

• Do you love to know that other players, aka the Host, gets a serious advantage over you each game, an unfair advantage, and that host can be secured through various means, not to mention a bad host will give you massive lag?
    Or would you prefer to game in an environment where connection does not matter more then skill, where no one gets a major advantage?

• Do you think that a maximum of 16 players is really the peak of modern gaming?
    Or would it be cool to be able to have 24 or 32 players in the same game for some epic warfare in BTB or Invasion?

• Do you love the Reach system, where matchmaking can’t prioritize skill and make even teams since it has to prioritize connection and host, where matchmaking times are long and lag often occur?
    Or would you prefer a system where connection is no issue, where the game can re-balance the teams based on performance after each game, and focus on skill not connection?
    A matchmaking system that ensure you’ll find a lag-free game with players of similar skill within 5-10 seconds no matter how high/low population?

• Do you think that MM is best as it is, where you have to invite friends to play custom games and where you have to beg, often in vain, to get the “right” settings for weapons/game settings in matchmaking?
    Wouldn’t it be better if you could rent a server and offer it in matchmaking custom games section, with your own settings, maps and gametypes, no matter if it is mlg, race, pirates, hardcore or fiesta?
    Wouldn’t it be nice to see a system that allowed clans to battle clans, to allowed for international tournaments and full support for competitive gaming without limits?

• If you think any of these sounds good, you would prefer dedicated servers over p2p matchmaking.
  • Many other games can offer dedicated servers without charging extra fees, MS and Halo could easily do it since MS already owns a lot of servers and Halos budget is massive, servers are quite cheap, less then 1$/day for a full 32 player server.
  • Even if dedicated servers are offered, anyone could still choose to play on p2p!
    Though be warned, in any game that offers dedicated servers, no one ever tends to play on the sub-par p2p option, for obvious reasons.
  • Halo used to be the best, the game that offered features no one else had and where matchmakign was tough but fair, now other games are progressing while Halo is still left with the CoD-standard matchmaking, does that make sense to anyone?
  • If they would charge for it, the true cost would still be low and you could always choose to play on p2p, nothing to loose. Not to mention they could bundle it with an option like the old “bungie pro” with render minutes, bigger fileshare and upload to youtube. even though it ought to be free.

Seriously, there is no sane reason not to have dedicated servers, even if you love to pull host or just slow, unfair matchmaking and broken true-skill, p2p would still be offered for you.
Dedicated servers would make it possible for people from all over the world to play, Australia, Mexico, EU, USA, without problems, and play with people close to them (hence less lag) then current matchmaking.