I would not make a Spartan Ops season 2...

Spartan Ops was an experiment for Halo which in my opinion did not meet any of the intended expectations. Simply put it did not live up to the hype or it’s purpose.

Spartan Ops added to the story through the cinematics and I enjoyed those. The problem is the missions and gameplay made me feel disconnected entirely from the story and felt out of place. There was nothing unique about ANY of the spartan Ops missions. Literally all of them follow the same chain of events and objectives over and over again and it felt like a chore to play.

And since all the “story” was through the cinematics, there was no reason to even play the levels as nothing happened in 1 level that didn’t happen 2 or 3 levels before.

I think Firefight should be brought back instead of spartan ops. Spartan Ops did not give me my cravings for a Firefight game because it wasn’t fun and there was no challenge to it. (die as many times as you wanted, spawn 8 rocket launchers and tanks). What Firefight did in ODST and Reach was offer wave after wave of enemies to fight. In Reach WE could CHOOSE who and what we wanted to fight, for how long, and what skulls we wanted. Spartan Ops instead TELLS players what to do, makes them do annoying repetitive tasks that don’t advance the story in any way.

If spartan Ops should remain, the episodic model should be scrapped completely and 343i should make seasonal DLC for campaign that adds to the story and offers something new to the player (Not the same button pushing, 10 minute long missions over and over, real campaign missions). But in the end, I would rather just see a updated Firefight, preferably with us being able to create custom maps for it.

Oh and if Firefight is brought back, just take the base defenses from Dominion and add them to the maps.

I beg to differ, OP.
Personally, I love both Firefight and SpOps. Although, its true that SpOps ended and if you replay it, over and over again, it gets boring b/c most of the enemies are in the same spot as they were when you first played the episode. Firefight on the other hand, randomizes enemies, which I feel is better. However, I would love to see FF and SpOps appear in Halo 5 so when it comes to commedations, you have two seperate modes like Reach was, Set of Campaign Commies, Set of MM Commies, and a Set of FF Commies. That, I guarantee you would make:
A. The game much longer.
B. Give players the excuse into playing the game.
&
C. If 343 were to have more ranks, they that would be better.
Question is…will 343 do it. Cuz at this point, only time will tell.

Agreed on all counts. If you ask me, Spartan Ops should either be a second campaign, or it shouldn’t replace firefight. Both were effectively the same in terms of gameplay, except firefight was much more customizable, and the encounters were not the exact same thing, every single time. Go big or go home, if you ask me. Of course, I can’t reasonable expect a second campaign, so I guess I’d support SpOps being replaced by firefight 3.0.

I think you should make a poll sometime about this.

FF was the definition of repedetive gameplay…

> Agreed on all counts. If you ask me, <mark>Spartan Ops should either be a second campaign</mark>, or it shouldn’t replace firefight. Both were effectively the same in terms of gameplay, except firefight was much more customizable, and the encounters were not the exact same thing, every single time. Go big or go home, if you ask me. Of course, I can’t reasonable expect a second campaign, so I guess I’d support SpOps being replaced by firefight 3.0.
>
> I think you should make a poll sometime about this.

You know, I too would like to see SpOps as a second campaign and go obviously, by seasons. It should NEVER replace Firefight.

> FF was the definition of repedetive gameplay…

I concur…hopefully in the next title, FF is similar to ODST’s FF yet have some gametypes from Reach, like Sniperfight, Rocket Attack, FRG Attack, 2x Score Attack, etc, something like that. GOD FORBID FF ARCADE APPEARS IN FF. I’ll flip cuz its so annoying with Fuel Rods. Who agrees?

> FF was the definition of repedetive gameplay…

No it isn’t, you can change the map and in Reach you can change:

• what enemies spawn
  • How many lives you have
  • standard starting weapon (rockets, shotgun)
  • ammo
  • Health
  • skulls
  • character traits
  • even play as an enemy AI!!!

Spartan Ops does none of those things and if you can customize all of that, it is different every time you play and way more fun.

After 2 times playing a mission in Spartan Ops I know usually where every enemy will spawn, the dialogue, and where all the hundreds of power weapons will be dropped.

I LOVE Spartan Ops, and while I know that people don’t really like the repetitive button-pressing, I personally love pressing the buttons. I always have Mobility in my loadouts so I can press the buttons before the rest of my Fireteam Crimson can. I think I enjoy the button-pressing a bit too much, as it never gets boring for me.

IMO 343 Industries should bring Firefight back for Halo 5. Spartan Ops has potential to do SO much more, but it would take a crazy deal of more effort, resources, and time. 343 went for quantity more than quality (50 Missions total, that’s quite a lot), and I personally feel that was a bit of a mistake.

I’d like Spartan Ops to co-exist with Firefight, but that probably won’t be able to happen.

If Spartan Ops were to continue, I’d like to see something like Halo 3: ODST. A new $60 retail-game that runs on the current Halo game’s engine with a new campaign, bundled with some new maps.

<mark>Halo 3 had it down.</mark>
Halo 3 - Campaign
Halo 3: ODST - the “second” campaign
Halo 3: ODST - introduces the Firefight
It should be set up like this IMO.

I think 343 should make a season 2 for Spartan Ops. I don’t know how anyone could not like it.

I just want them to use their time and effort to work on the next Halo from now on.

No more Spartan Flops, if the missions were not lazily copied and pasted it would have been alright.

> I just want them to use their time and effort to work on the next Halo from now on.
>
> No more Spartan Flops, if the missions were not lazily copied and pasted it would have been alright.

I disagree. 343 has the resources to make a season 2 to SpOps, so why not make it. Btw, I’m pretty sure 343 is already in the works of Halo 5, so why not continue the work on the game they already have…

My problems with SPOPS were: Re cycled lines, Inf. spawns, and the lag i got whenever i played with my friends. But other then those issues i really enjoyed SPOPS. If they managed to fix those issues i’d pay for a season 2.

As far as FF goes ODST was better then reach. I like the feel and UI way more. Something about being an ODST made FF more intense. Reaches was nice custom wise. But the UI was boring and it never felt like a challenge. If they could some how combine ODST’S feel (and possible play as something other then spartans) and give it reaches custom options i would welcom FF back.

Until then i just hop on ODST.

> > I just want them to use their time and effort to work on the next Halo from now on.
> >
> > No more Spartan Flops, if the missions were not lazily copied and pasted it would have been alright.
>
> I disagree. 343 has the resources to make a season 2 to SpOps, so why not make it. Btw, I’m pretty sure 343 is already in the works of Halo 5, so why not continue the work on the game they already have…

Yep I know they have the resources to make Spops 2 if they wish, that doesn’t mean it will be good though.

It is more likely to be bollocks, judging from the first season. There’s a reason not to make it. :slight_smile:

I prefer SpOps honestly, Reach’s firefight got boring for me as you’re a spartan you’re basically unstoppable

If I had to list my gamemodes (not forge, campaign or multiplayer)

1. ODST Firefight
  2. SpOps
  3. Reach Firefight

I’m down for season 2, but they could add skulls, scoring and the option for lives

> > I just want them to use their time and effort to work on the next Halo from now on.
> >
> > No more Spartan Flops, if the missions were not lazily copied and pasted it would have been alright.
>
> I disagree. 343 has the resources to make a season 2 to SpOps, so why not make it. <mark>Btw, I’m pretty sure 343 is already in the works of Halo 5, so why not continue the work on the game they already have…</mark>

They won’t drop Halo 4, they need to support it, they know there are guys who prefer story so I can see season 2

I would not want a second season. I’m very content with just one season and I prefer resources be utilized elsewhere.

Spartan Ops could benefit from another season if there were some changes made.

For example, adding in-game cinematics (not episodic cg) would make each mission unique for the players. People like seeing cinematics of their customize Spartan on screen - they liked it in Halo Reach, they would love it in Spartan OPs missions.

Another example of a change that should be made is actually gameplay mechanics. Add harder objectives, don’t bump the difficulty up to make it seem challenging towards the players, separate the players so that each can tackle an objective that contributes to the main goal for the mission. What I’m trying to say is think outside the box a bit. Don’t just create a sandbox and throw players in and tell them to push a button, but you have to clear out enemies first. It gets monotonous. Its gets to be like firefight at times when your just going through the same waves over and over again. Give players a challenge that’s relative toward the mission.

Also on the same topic of gameplay, add lives, or some limit for players to be conservative while playing. Players can keep throwing themselves at enemies on whatever difficulty and take them down eventually. In firefight - ODST and Limited - players had a pool of lives to work with. It should be similar to that, and players can even add to their pool of lives by completing special/optional objectives (which can be anything you can think of) of the mission.

Also, make it so that players can play missions offline without an Xbox Live connection and enable Theater mode. Seriously, if you do these two things, you instantly gave the mode plenty of replay value. DO IT.

Spartan Ops is an interesting concept, rather then let it be just an early experience for people who bought and played Halo 4 and who have Xbox Live gold, it can be something so much fun.

If you need a successful game to look at to get ideas 343i, I recommend Mass Effects 3 multiplayer. The game has by far the best cooperative mode I’ve played in years. Additionally look at what you already have in Halo 4. The Dominion Bases idea I read in this thread sounds great, also have you thought of incorporating invasion into Spartan Ops, like having Crimson infiltrating a base, tier by tier and retrieving an artifact or another player…so many ideas that you guys and gals can play with.

So much potential, just realize it and do it.

> Agreed on all counts. If you ask me, Spartan Ops should either be a second campaign, or it shouldn’t replace firefight. Both were effectively the same in terms of gameplay, except firefight was much more customizable, and the encounters were not the exact same thing, every single time. Go big or go home, if you ask me. Of course, I can’t reasonable expect a second campaign, so I guess I’d support SpOps being replaced by firefight 3.0.
>
> I think you should make a poll sometime about this.

I have a poll on this though at the moment its not got too many votes on it (maybe not many people visit the polling booth). Shame really because everyone seems to have some strong opinions about the matter and i’m interested to see how the community is split.

Here’s the link to the poll.

Firefight vs Spartan Ops

FF is currently winning

Spartan Ops has terrible replay value, if any.

BUT, the missions and cutscenes are interesting when you play them for the first time. Gives you something to look forward to on Mondays.

For this I would say Spartan Ops needs a ton of improvements, but isn’t a complete failure like people make it out to be.

> > > I just want them to use their time and effort to work on the next Halo from now on.
> > >
> > > No more Spartan Flops, if the missions were not lazily copied and pasted it would have been alright.
> >
> > I disagree. 343 has the resources to make a season 2 to SpOps, so why not make it. Btw, I’m pretty sure 343 is already in the works of Halo 5, so why not continue the work on the game they already have…
>
> Yep I know they have the resources to make Spops 2 if they wish, that doesn’t mean it will be good though.
>
> It is more likely to be bollocks, judging from the first season. <mark>There’s a reason not to make it.</mark>:)

That’s your opinion. In my opinion, and probably a lot of other people’s opinions, 343 should make a season 2. If season 1 sucked, then season 2 will probably be a lot better.