I want to level up my own squad of marines

It would be wildly impressive if you could level up your own personal squad of marines based on the weapons you give them.

I dont know how marines will work but to be able to really invest in your squad and what they specialize in would make for a more immersive gaming experience. Picking and choosing a small squad of marines that you, personally, put time into training would be sick.

Imagine exploring the Halo ring, seeing a squad of enemies on the horizon, telling Marines exactly where you want them and when to push, and then executing a well organized guerilla attack on some unsuspecting Banished.

Worst case scenario would be a campaign where the Marines just sit around and do nothing or just follow you around just to blow your cover or get in the way- please avoid this outcome.

I honestly like this idea. Personally I would prefer if you could do it with Spartan IVs. Bring back Spartan ops but make it where you command a team. Could be a way to bring back Crimson from Halo 4 but instead of a grunt he’s a leader now.

Idk, I don’t like babysitting things. They would need to make it so using them isn’t required. At that point though, what’s the point of the system if it ultimately does not really add anything. I get the idea, I just don’t enjoy it

> 2533274840624875;3:
> Idk, I don’t like babysitting things. They would need to make it so using them isn’t required. At that point though, what’s the point of the system if it ultimately does not really add anything. I get the idea, I just don’t enjoy it

how about something akin to the way star wars republic commandos had it with their team like “Hold this position” "take up Sniper position) etc etc…

I’d be down for something along those lines with blue team or if possible with Crimson as the OP mentioned.

I think I’d rather just have a thing like in halo reach, were you have a temporary fireteam for certain parts of the mission, and you can “level them up” by just giving them more powerful weapons. Although a way to command them (like “go over there”, or “stay put”) would an awesome. Also, I would like to be able to recruit one by just pointing at a random marine and pressing a “recruit” button. I dislike not being able to choose who you take command of in reach. Additionally, sometimes you don’t want the marines to follow you, so you could just not order them at all.

But no. I don’t want a team that sticks with you through the game. Just a way to more efficiently command a team of marines/ODSTs/Spartans/elites(maybe?) that you find.

> 2533274840624875;3:
> Idk, I don’t like babysitting things. They would need to make it so using them isn’t required. At that point though, what’s the point of the system if it ultimately does not really add anything. I get the idea, I just don’t enjoy it

Their usability would be on par with what Marines are now, it doesnt matter whether you use them but if you do end up using them why not have more than the option of what gun they hold?

> 2533274816803169;6:
> > 2533274840624875;3:
> > Idk, I don’t like babysitting things. They would need to make it so using them isn’t required. At that point though, what’s the point of the system if it ultimately does not really add anything. I get the idea, I just don’t enjoy it
>
> Their usability would be on par with what Marines are now, it doesnt matter whether you use them but if you do end up using them why not have more than the option of what gun they hold?

again though, whats the point of the system if they are as useful as normal marine? Just seems like a system that really would not add anything

> 2533274840624875;7:
> > 2533274816803169;6:
> > > 2533274840624875;3:
> > > Idk, I don’t like babysitting things. They would need to make it so using them isn’t required. At that point though, what’s the point of the system if it ultimately does not really add anything. I get the idea, I just don’t enjoy it
> >
> > Their usability would be on par with what Marines are now, it doesnt matter whether you use them but if you do end up using them why not have more than the option of what gun they hold?
>
> again though, whats the point of the system if they are as useful as normal marine? Just seems like a system that really would not add anything

It would literally add more interface with marines that you didnt have before that you could use or not use. Like you can choose to not use a spike or flame grenade in halo 3. The grenades have a deeper interface that you can or cant interact with while simultaneously not outclassing the other two grenade types

Could be like fire emblem and have perma-death if you lose one, while being able to train them all the way to high ranking marines possibly specializing in close range, long range, explosives, etc

> 2533274816803169;8:
> > 2533274840624875;7:
> > > 2533274816803169;6:
> > > > 2533274840624875;3:
> > > > Idk, I don’t like babysitting things. They would need to make it so using them isn’t required. At that point though, what’s the point of the system if it ultimately does not really add anything. I get the idea, I just don’t enjoy it
> > >
> > > Their usability would be on par with what Marines are now, it doesnt matter whether you use them but if you do end up using them why not have more than the option of what gun they hold?
> >
> > again though, whats the point of the system if they are as useful as normal marine? Just seems like a system that really would not add anything
>
> It would literally add more interface with marines that you didnt have before that you could use or not use. Like you can choose to not use a spike or flame grenade in halo 3. The grenades have a deeper interface that you can or cant interact with while simultaneously not outclassing the other two grenade types

but again, why use the system if those choices are better used on the player itself? If it’s truly that optionally and ultimately doesn’t add anything to the combat flow, why put the time into developing it? I have the same issue with the squad system in h5. Really, it didn’t -Yoink- anything to the combat loop and ultimately got in the way (forced revive system, broken AI etc). All systems would need to be perfect and add something significant to the combat loop to really justify its existence. Idk, just seems unneeded even if on face value the idea is interesting.

> 2533274840624875;3:
> Idk, I don’t like babysitting things. They would need to make it so using them isn’t required. At that point though, what’s the point of the system if it ultimately does not really add anything. I get the idea, I just don’t enjoy it

I agree. I did not care for the squad in Halo 5 and more often than not it was a chore babysitting them. I’ll be quite happy with a Chief only game. Or, like you say, make it so using them is not required, if there is a squad.

I like that idea. Of course, that has to be completely optional, but I can imagine situations where it would be nice to call for reinforcements and my squad of marines were dropped by Pellican in order to help me in pinch.

It surely would be better than the useless marines of past Halos that are good only to draw enemy fire.

I don’t think it would affect gameplay very much

> 2533274840624875;10:
> > 2533274816803169;8:
> > > 2533274840624875;7:
> > > > 2533274816803169;6:
> > > > > 2533274840624875;3:
> > > > > Idk, I don’t like babysitting things. They would need to make it so using them isn’t required. At that point though, what’s the point of the system if it ultimately does not really add anything. I get the idea, I just don’t enjoy it
> > > >
> > > > Their usability would be on par with what Marines are now, it doesnt matter whether you use them but if you do end up using them why not have more than the option of what gun they hold?
> > >
> > > again though, whats the point of the system if they are as useful as normal marine? Just seems like a system that really would not add anything
> >
> > It would literally add more interface with marines that you didnt have before that you could use or not use. Like you can choose to not use a spike or flame grenade in halo 3. The grenades have a deeper interface that you can or cant interact with while simultaneously not outclassing the other two grenade types
>
> but again, why use the system if those choices are better used on the player itself? If it’s truly that optionally and ultimately doesn’t add anything to the combat flow, why put the time into developing it? I have the same issue with the squad system in h5. Really, it didn’t -Yoink- anything to the combat loop and ultimately got in the way (forced revive system, broken AI etc). All systems would need to be perfect and add something significant to the combat loop to really justify its existence. Idk, just seems unneeded even if on face value the idea is interesting.

The player is literally the person deciding whether to use the function or not. Ergo, the player has more power over the gameplay. Which they can then choose to not utilize at their behest. Which is why I brought up the grenade system.

Doesn’t particularly sound like my cup-of-tea…But then again, neither does Chief leveling-up or whatever. I’d love for marines to have more of a presence in the games again, as they really add to the sense of you playing as a super-soldier.

> 2533274816803169;14:
> > 2533274840624875;10:
> > > 2533274816803169;8:
> > > > 2533274840624875;7:
> > > > > 2533274816803169;6:
> > > > > > 2533274840624875;3:
> > > > > > Idk, I don’t like babysitting things. They would need to make it so using them isn’t required. At that point though, what’s the point of the system if it ultimately does not really add anything. I get the idea, I just don’t enjoy it
> > > > >
> > > > > Their usability would be on par with what Marines are now, it doesnt matter whether you use them but if you do end up using them why not have more than the option of what gun they hold?
> > > >
> > > > again though, whats the point of the system if they are as useful as normal marine? Just seems like a system that really would not add anything
> > >
> > > It would literally add more interface with marines that you didnt have before that you could use or not use. Like you can choose to not use a spike or flame grenade in halo 3. The grenades have a deeper interface that you can or cant interact with while simultaneously not outclassing the other two grenade types
> >
> > but again, why use the system if those choices are better used on the player itself? If it’s truly that optionally and ultimately doesn’t add anything to the combat flow, why put the time into developing it? I have the same issue with the squad system in h5. Really, it didn’t -Yoink- anything to the combat loop and ultimately got in the way (forced revive system, broken AI etc). All systems would need to be perfect and add something significant to the combat loop to really justify its existence. Idk, just seems unneeded even if on face value the idea is interesting.
>
> The player is literally the person deciding whether to use the function or not. Ergo, the player has more power over the gameplay. Which they can then choose to not utilize at their behest. Which is why I brought up the grenade system.

here’s my issue with systems like this. It’s called being stretched thin by adding more systems than are not needed. Cyberpunk is a great example of this. It has so many systems trying to be something astounding, it’s good at nothing (rpg systems, shooting, driving, open-world systems etc). I look at the lists on reddit of things people want and I honestly think a majority of the game needs to be removed. Cut the world size by 1/3, remove all of the fixer quests, car quests etc.

My point regarding this is that the more additions to the gameplay loop that ultimately don’t need to exist, risk detracting from the overall experience. The game starts to lack focus resulting in a sub-par experience. Games like Gears are loved cause of their pure focus on 3rd person action (yes 5 attempted open world and that was the weakest part of the game and ended up negatively impacting the “gears” pace). When we start adding additional systems that don’t really add anything to the game it should focus on being, we get poorly developed systems resulting in a lack of focus and a less memorable experience.

While managing a squad is fine on paper, I don’t think it should be more than whats existed in past Halos. Let me switch weapons with them and at most, have the level of their presence be dependant on how many you save during the “save marines” side things. Anything more ends up detracting from the experience and if it’s that optional, why have it. I want infinite to be a focused experience like past halos were. I’m fine with them experimenting but too much leads to a lack of focus and a forgettable product. If a system like this is implemented. id rather it be a spin off game, not a core game (or even a spin off dlc or whatever they are doing for infinite)

> 2533274840624875;16:
> > 2533274816803169;14:
> > > 2533274840624875;10:
> > > > 2533274816803169;8:
> > > > > 2533274840624875;7:
> > > > > > 2533274816803169;6:
> > > > > > > 2533274840624875;3:
> > > > > > > Idk, I don’t like babysitting things. They would need to make it so using them isn’t required. At that point though, what’s the point of the system if it ultimately does not really add anything. I get the idea, I just don’t enjoy it
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Their usability would be on par with what Marines are now, it doesnt matter whether you use them but if you do end up using them why not have more than the option of what gun they hold?
> > > > >
> > > > > again though, whats the point of the system if they are as useful as normal marine? Just seems like a system that really would not add anything
> > > >
> > > > It would literally add more interface with marines that you didnt have before that you could use or not use. Like you can choose to not use a spike or flame grenade in halo 3. The grenades have a deeper interface that you can or cant interact with while simultaneously not outclassing the other two grenade types
> > >
> > > but again, why use the system if those choices are better used on the player itself? If it’s truly that optionally and ultimately doesn’t add anything to the combat flow, why put the time into developing it? I have the same issue with the squad system in h5. Really, it didn’t -Yoink- anything to the combat loop and ultimately got in the way (forced revive system, broken AI etc). All systems would need to be perfect and add something significant to the combat loop to really justify its existence. Idk, just seems unneeded even if on face value the idea is interesting.
> >
> > The player is literally the person deciding whether to use the function or not. Ergo, the player has more power over the gameplay. Which they can then choose to not utilize at their behest. Which is why I brought up the grenade system.
>
> here’s my issue with systems like this. It’s called being stretched thin by adding more systems than are not needed. Cyberpunk is a great example of this. It has so many systems trying to be something astounding, it’s good at nothing (rpg systems, shooting, driving, open-world systems etc). I look at the lists on reddit of things people want and I honestly think a majority of the game needs to be removed. Cut the world size by 1/3, remove all of the fixer quests, car quests etc.
>
> My point regarding this is that the more additions to the gameplay loop that ultimately don’t need to exist, risk detracting from the overall experience. The game starts to lack focus resulting in a sub-par experience. Games like Gears are loved cause of their pure focus on 3rd person action (yes 5 attempted open world and that was the weakest part of the game and ended up negatively impacting the “gears” pace). When we start adding additional systems that don’t really add anything to the game it should focus on being, we get poorly developed systems resulting in a lack of focus and a less memorable experience.
>
> While managing a squad is fine on paper, I don’t think it should be more than whats existed in past Halos. Let me switch weapons with them and at most, have the level of their presence be dependant on how many you save during the “save marines” side things. Anything more ends up detracting from the experience and if it’s that optional, why have it. I want infinite to be a focused experience like past halos were. I’m fine with them experimenting but too much leads to a lack of focus and a forgettable product. If a system like this is implemented. id rather it be a spin off game, not a core game (or even a spin off dlc or whatever they are doing for infinite)

I mean what you’re saying is inherently subjective. If you want to have the exact same campaign gameplay loop as the previous halos that’s your prerogative. My suggestion leaves room for you to play your way. Halo players, like me, have played Halo all their lives and see the value in expanding on the Marine capabilities in an open world Halo game-where more varied gameplay loops are key to replayablity. The longer you play Halo the more clear it is that my suggestion is a logical next step for the Halo franchise and has unfortunately been overlooked. You haven’t given me any objective reason why expanding the gameplay loop past “go here and shoot here” is at all detrimental to the Halo experience. It’s not like this is a baseless hailmary suggestion. Halo 2 expanded on the marines by allowing you to give marines different weapons- which is an expansion in marine capabilites.