I want a sequel, not the same thing.

EQUIPMENT/ARMOR ABILITIES

In Halo Combat Evolved and Halo 2 there was equipment: active camo, overshield, etc. Equipment was then carried over to Halo 2. No one complained. In Halo 3, a new type of equipment was introduced. It could be used at any time and added in a whole new level of campaign. Bubble shields, trip mines, automated turrets, etc were accepted by the community. Custom powerups could even be made, they could even make the players run faster.

Halo Reach did what Halo 3 did, it evolved equipment. This time equipment could be spawned with and was renamed as “Armor Abilities.” Some of the equipment from Halo 3 and previous titles would be combined.
Bubble Shield + Regenerator = Drop Shield
Active Camo + Radar Jammer = Active Camo
Invincibility became Armor Lock.
The jetpack has been in the Halo series since Halo 2, Reach was just the first time that it could be used by the players. The custom powerup ability to make players faster in Halo 3 was made as an Armor Ability and was named “Sprint.”

I remember playing custom games in Halo 3 with “Sprint” and people had lots of fun with it.

Now Halo Reach comes out, people seem to loudly complain about the Armor Abilities. Now it should be noted that Reach is intended to be a prequel to the Halo series. Armor Abilities were experimental equipment on Reach. That is why we see the Bubble Shield in Halo 3, it is the successor of the Drop Shield.

Now in Halo 4 I don’t think that some of these abilities should be treated as “Armor Abilities.” Armor Abilities are, in the canon, old. They have to had evolved over the years. I’m sure that Armor Abilities will be in Halo 4 but will be evolved. I think that Sprint should be a built in feature. Assassinations are built into Reach and they can be turned off when customizing a game. This could be the same thing for Sprint.

Some “armor abilities” should be pick up in matchmaking, but with a catch. Just like weapons they will respawn. When a player picks them up they can spawn with that ability. Some armor abilities can have long respawn times so in the end, there might only be 3 players or so on the map with Jetpacks.

My friend had suggested to me some new armor abilities.
One of which is having the player overload the shields, doing this creates something of a flare effect. After the effect is gone the player’s shields are gone.

I suggested that there should be overshields. For about 10 seconds or so, the player will have double shields. When the 10 seconds is over, the shields collapse and reload.

Things like armor abilities make Halo unique and fun. I enjoy Sprint and Jetpacks. While I’m not a huge fan of Armor Lock, it is still fun to use when a Ghost comes straight at you. I remember watching a interview with Frank O’Connor and he said an equivalent of Armor Lock will be in Halo 4.

I love armor abilities. They just need some adjusting and work. Keep them in the Halo series.

BLOOM

Bloom, bullet spread, whatever you want to call it has been in the Halo series for over 10 years. Bungie just placed implemented a feature in the HUD to helmet out players. Here’s proof It seems though, there was a loud minority of players that bloom was actually taken out of Anniverary. Keep bloom in. I can easily kill a player across Hemorrhage with a no bloom DMR.

Rank

This can make everybody happy. Have a ranked playlist that implements the 1-50 ranking system. No special armor is given out to Generals (just like in Halo 3.) All other playlists will implement the same ranking system that Reach had in the social playlists. This isn’t impossible since the Arena had it’s own ranking system in it.

I don’t want Halo 2 or Halo 3, I want a sequel

If I want Halo 2, then I’ll go play Halo 2. If I want Halo 3, I’ll go play Halo 3. It seems that people just want Halo 3 again but with better graphics and more guns. That sounds a lot like Call of Duty at that point. A sequel just keep the basics of the installment before it, but adding in new elements.

alot of people say that halo 4 has to be more like 3 because it was closer to 3 than reach but what they don’t realize that the fall of reach and the finding of the ark were like 4 months apart it really wasn’t that long. this is why halo 4 can use evrything from each game to truly make this upcoming series the best

[deleted]

> > I remember watching a interview with Frank O’Connor and he said an equivalent of Armor Lock will be in Halo 4.
>
> Oh snap.

You never know. 343 Industries could make it work. Let’s just have hope.

> I remember watching a interview with Frank O’Connor and he said an equivalent of Armor Lock will be in Halo 4.

Do you have the source if you still remember it?

Halo reach is not a canon, Armor Abilities does not exist in the halo canon.

read the books…

> I remember watching a interview with Frank O’Connor and he said an equivalent of Armor Lock will be in Halo 4.

NO. FRANKY SAID THAT HALO 4 WILL HAVE “IT’S OWN ARMOR LOCK”- MEANING A FEATURE FANS WILL HATE AND RAGE ABOUT. LISTEN TO ME. IT IS CRITICAL YOU DELETE THAT PART OF YOUR POST, OR A FLAME WAR IS ABOUT TO BEGIN. GO! THERE IS NO TIME!

(caps=urgency)

> > I remember watching a interview with Frank O’Connor and he said an equivalent of Armor Lock will be in Halo 4.
>
> NO. FRANKY SAID THAT HALO 4 WILL HAVE “IT’S OWN ARMOR LOCK”- MEANING A FEATURE FANS WILL HATE AND RAGE ABOUT. LISTEN TO ME. IT IS CRITICAL YOU DELETE THAT PART OF YOUR POST, OR A FLAME WAR IS ABOUT TO BEGIN. GO! THERE IS NO TIME!
>
> (caps=urgency)

WE HAVE A CODE RED ALERT! FLAMEWAR BATTLE STATIONS! THIS IS NOT A DRILL! CALL THE FIRESTATION! PLACE UP SHIELDS! NO TROLLZ CAN ENTER! HURRY, CODE RED, CODE RED!!

> > > I remember watching a interview with Frank O’Connor and he said an equivalent of Armor Lock will be in Halo 4.
> >
> > NO. FRANKY SAID THAT HALO 4 WILL HAVE “IT’S OWN ARMOR LOCK”- MEANING A FEATURE FANS WILL HATE AND RAGE ABOUT. LISTEN TO ME. IT IS CRITICAL YOU DELETE THAT PART OF YOUR POST, OR A FLAME WAR IS ABOUT TO BEGIN. GO! THERE IS NO TIME!
> >
> > (caps=urgency)
>
> WE HAVE A CODE RED ALERT! FLAMEWAR BATTLE STATIONS! THIS IS NOT A DRILL! CALL THE FIRESTATION! PLACE UP SHIELDS! NO TROLLZ CAN ENTER! HURRY, CODE RED, CODE RED!!

THE OP IS OFFLINE, -Yoink!-! ONLY MODS CAN SAVE US NOW!

(See what I did there?)

> Halo reach is not a canon, Armor Abilities does not exist in the halo canon.
>
> read the books…

Reach is canon, you just can’t seem to see that.
How don’t Armor Abilities fit with the canon?
Jetpacks were in Halo 2 and 3
The Bubble Shield, a successor of the Drop Shield, was in Halo 3 and other Halo media.
Spartans have sprinted before.
Elites and S-IIIs have Active Camo (and Grunts too!)
Spartans can lock up their armor.

I don’t mean to bash you, but it seems you don’t know that much about Halo. And since you’re the Halo expert, why does Master Chief have jetpacks in the Halo 4 trailer?

>
> NO. FRANKY SAID THAT HALO 4 WILL HAVE “IT’S OWN ARMOR LOCK”- MEANING A FEATURE FANS WILL HATE AND RAGE ABOUT. LISTEN TO ME. IT IS CRITICAL YOU DELETE THAT PART OF YOUR POST, OR A FLAME WAR IS ABOUT TO BEGIN. GO! THERE IS NO TIME!
>
> (caps=urgency)

Isn’t that the same thing as an “equivalent?” Also I think it’s from PAX, I’ll have to rewatch the Pax 2011 videos.

> > Halo reach is not a canon, Armor Abilities does not exist in the halo canon.
> >
> > read the books…
>
> Reach is canon, you just can’t seem to see that.
> How don’t Armor Abilities fit with the canon?
> Jetpacks were in Halo 2 and 3
> The Bubble Shield, a successor of the Drop Shield, was in Halo 3 and other Halo media.
> Spartans have sprinted before.
> Elites and S-IIIs have Active Camo (and Grunts too!)
> Spartans can lock up their armor.
>
> I don’t mean to bash you, but it seems you don’t know that much about Halo. And since you’re the Halo expert, why does Master Chief have jetpacks in the Halo 4 trailer?

Backing up this fellow forum member’s statment, Reach is Canon, all the game canon OUTRULES the book canon.

And the spartan’s have always had jetpacks attached to their armour to help them move in Zero-G.

>
> read the books…

Anything that is in any of the games is considered canon. If anything, game canon comes before book canon, so something being in the game but not in the books by no means makes in non-canon.

Pertaining to the OP, I somewhat agree, however I hope they do make it more similar to the original trilogy than reach was while still making it different enough for halo 4 not to seem like halo 3.5. I also want the faster pace restored. If they do keep bloom i hope it’s a little less drastic than in reach.

> Backing up this fellow forum member’s statment, Reach is Canon, all the game canon OUTRULES the book canon.
>
> And the spartan’s have always had jetpacks attached to their armour to help them move in Zero-G.

Thank you, but I think you mispelled “zero-g thrusters.”
Also I don’t think that game canon overrides book canon. They’re all one universe, Frank said this. Canon is overwritten by 343i (at one point Bungie.) Bungie and 343i have done good jobs at preserving the book canon in with the games. Remember Crow’s Nest on Halo 3? Almost every line Cortana says is a reference to Fall of Reach.
Now from what I have seen, the only book that has had series retcon is The Fall of Reach. Halsey theorized the existence of Elites (which we know now is false.)

> BLOOM
>
> Bloom, bullet spread, whatever you want to call it has been in the Halo series for over 10 years. Bungie just placed implemented a feature in the HUD to helmet out players. Here’s proof It seems though, there was a loud minority of players that bloom was actually taken out of Anniverary. Keep bloom in. I can easily kill a player across Hemorrhage with a no bloom DMR.

Let’s say I have no problems with other parts of your post than this. Bloom doesn’t belong to precision weapons. Sure, Halo CE pistol had it, Halo 2 BR had it pre-patch, Halo 3 BR had it. But if we look at it, the Halo CE pistol bloom never affected gameplay unless you held the trigger down, something no experienced player would never had done, you didn’t ahve to deal with bloom. In Halo 2 the BR spread got removed immediately when the game got patched, it didn’t exist for long. The Halo 3 BR on the other hand was bad, the spread was one of the worst features of the weapon.

By that I can say that bloom doesn’t belong to precision weapons. Yes, they have had it, but either never played a huge part or hindered the game. What comes to killing a player accross Hemorrage. Well, I would like you to get the kill with a single magazine against a player who is strafing, I doubt you are capable of that, it’s practically impossible. Bloomless DMR can only theoretically grant the player a kill from the other end of Hemorrhage, but in reality no player can do it against a moving opponent.

What comes to the effects of bloom in the game. Well, the most obvious one is the randomness. With the bloom in its current state it’s impossible to ahve no elements of randomness. The gun needs always either to be 100% or 0% accurate, everything in between is random. That type of bloom on the other hand, would be very unintuitive. But the negative effects of bloom don’t end with the randomness, it also seriously hinders teamwork aspect of the game. You see, with bloom the most viable form of teamwork is team shooting. In fact, with bloom it’s best to keep your teammates in sight at every moment to have the advantage. This hinders every other type of teamwork as players don’t have weapons effective enough to be able to survive alone.

What comes to positive effects of bloom. Well, the only “positive” effect it has is the fact that you have to pace your shots. Sure, it’s skill to pace your shots, but a very shallow skill, so shallow that it is pointless, at least when compared to all the positive effects.

Wrong. Bloom was in halo CE only when you held down the firing button for precision weapons. Other than that, if you squeezed the button every time, it would always hit in the circle.

This doesn’t apply to weapons that are meant to be sprayed however. (Obvious). but then again, that’s not what we don’t like. We just don’t want bloom in weapons that are supposed to be accurate and that a Spartan with tree trunk arms that can turn your spine into Pixie Stick powder shouldn’t have trouble with.

Armor lock + invincible ally = pointless
Armor lock + enemy leader AI = annoying. I’d rather see Elites that have point defense gauntlets.
Armor lock + AI in general = stupid

Armor lock will never work. Let’s look at the H3 Brutes…

player puts reticle on Brute
Brute deploys bubble shield or deployable cover and either delays his death or walks out of the shield

player shows himself
Brute deploys bubble shield or deployable cover and either delays his death or walks out of the shield

player throws grenade at Brute

player causes Brute to berserk

All used at the wrong time and just delays their death most of the time. The only advantage the player had was that the bubble shield allowed one to get in close without getting shot at, either in a vehicle or on foot. Armor lock is even more broken because it stops vehicles and cqc in their tracks. Also, do I have to bring up Noble Team and their armor lock spam?

If I wanted to pwn a vehicle, I have all sorts of means to do so. Relying on armor lock to stop an incoming vehicle is nothing but a crutch.

As for Invincibility, what a horrible equipment. Useful for the player but for the enemy, it’s pointless because the Chieftain is already a damage sponge and has anti-sticky/needle armor. Furthermore, the Chieftain is very easy to assassinate. The only use Invincibility is for in campaign (aside from player use) is to tempt players into doing something stupid. There is nothing worse than seeing the equipment you wanted to retrieve being activated at some random time… it’s a worthless equipment, meant to compensate for the Chieftain not having recharging shields and being headshottable.

>
> read the books…

Game Canon>Book Canon.

Reach is canon, aside from a few inconsistencies, 343i has release material which explains almost everything.

However, Bungie really screwed up in this regard, they should have explained it a lot better, at least 343i saved them.

OP, this is easily the best thread I have seen, it is conservative, takes everyone’s viewpoint in mind and still keeps to the so called core Halo feeling.

> Armor lock + invincible ally = pointless
> Armor lock + enemy leader AI = annoying. I’d rather see Elites that have point defense gauntlets.
> Armor lock + AI in general = stupid
>
> Armor lock will never work. Let’s look at the H3 Brutes…
>
> player puts reticle on Brute
> Brute deploys bubble shield or deployable cover and either delays his death or walks out of the shield
>
> player shows himself
> Brute deploys bubble shield or deployable cover and either delays his death or walks out of the shield
>
> player throws grenade at Brute
>
> player causes Brute to berserk
>
> All used at the wrong time and just delays their death most of the time. The only advantage the player had was that the bubble shield allowed one to get in close without getting shot at, either in a vehicle or on foot. Armor lock is even more broken because it stops vehicles and cqc in their tracks. Also, do I have to bring up Noble Team and their armor lock spam?
>
> If I wanted to pwn a vehicle, I have all sorts of means to do so. Relying on armor lock to stop an incoming vehicle is nothing but a crutch.
>
> As for Invincibility, what a horrible equipment. Useful for the player but for the enemy, it’s pointless because the Chieftain is already a damage sponge and has anti-sticky/needle armor. Furthermore, the Chieftain is very easy to assassinate. The only use Invincibility is for in campaign (aside from player use) is to tempt players into doing something stupid. There is nothing worse than seeing the equipment you wanted to retrieve being activated at some random time… it’s a worthless equipment, meant to compensate for the Chieftain not having recharging shields and being headshottable.

That is an AI problem, not a problem with equipment.

However, enemy AI in Reach was incredibly intelligent, at least the Elites.

I sniped a guy on Nightfall, and instead of sitting there staring at me like the in previous games, this guy was moving around, dodging me, and better still, hiding until I came closer.

Something Bungie did very well.

If AI is improved, it could work.

Wow, nobody in this forum reads the fall of reach?

you didn’t know about sam, linda and the chief?

you didn’t know about chief’s missions in reach?

you didn’t know about chief’s training?

do you even know the red team and the blue team?
I guess not, noble team didn’t even exist in the Halo canon.

p.s the fall of reach released before Halo reach.

> Wow, nobody in this forum reads the fall of reach?
>
> you didn’t know about sam, linda and the chief?
>
> you didn’t know about chief’s missions in reach?
>
> you didn’t know about chief’s training?
>
> do you even know the red team and the blue team?
> I guess not, noble team didn’t even exist in the Halo canon.
>
> p.s the fall of reach released before Halo reach.

Well noble team do exist and reach is canon since now they made a game about noble team and reach Game canon> Book canon common sense