I understand, now.

Halo is a story first and foremost. When Bungie first made Halo, they were not worried or focused on making the multiplayer super competitive and awesome, it just so happened to accidently turn out that way. What Bungie was focused on, was making an awesome universe with many stories in it. In fact, did you know that The Fall of Reach, the novel, was actually released BEFORE Halo 1? Halo was even a book before it was a game.

343i has been awesome caretakers of the Halo universe. There’s so much content on this site in regards to lore, and these days with Halo 4 being focused on, so many people here forget just how awesome 343i is at their job and all the neat things they’ve made here. Heck, I could browse through all the videos related to the universe and lore and it’d take me days straight through to watch I bet. When it comes to making a story and crafting lore, 343i has made the universe so good as to rival things like Star Wars, and they’re dedicated.

And, yes, the multiplayer folks at 343i didn’t do the best, but multiplayer has improved dramatically since launch, and work is still being done. They’re dedicated and work hard. But on the other side of things, Halo 4 had an awesome story for campaign and Spartan Ops, that side of the development team really hit the mark for what they wanted.

So think of it like this; You have a great salmon meal with steamed vegetables. The salmon (story) is delicious, and the vegetables are good also (multiplayer), but the green beans…they’re a bit chewy.

But if you were used to filet mignon and (choose your favorite side), the new meal might make you sad.

> But if you were used to filet mignon and (choose your favorite side), the new meal might make you sad.

I don’t get the metaphor.

I watched the terminals and played a little bit of campaign yesterday and you’re right.
343 might not have been in their best shape regarding multiplayer, but storywise, Halo 4 was awesome!
The Forerunner involvement they introduced in this new chapter is most welcome!
Epicness awaits us. :smiley:

(just wish that after Halo 3, Halo games would’ve been about… you know… Halos!)

we are not talking about halo 1 multiplayer. lots of first person shooters were fun back in the day. the thing about halo was that it was new, aliens and spartins and such. but when bungie made halo 2 it was all about multiplayer. then halo 3 continued in the very good multiplayer. then reach came out with very bad multiplayer and everyone left halo or continued to play 3. you know back in halo 2 that was when there was a dedicated team just for multiplayer and they actually did a good job. dont you dare defend 343 for their shortcomings. they came on tv saying how h4 is going to be the best game a good colaboration of all of the halo games, how reach was not the next halo how halo 4 is the true next halo, when halo reach was supposed to be a prequel. bla bla bla. i am glad 343 kept it alive but they just need to get it togather and forfill all their clames they were making.

> I watched the terminals and played a little bit of campaign yesterday and you’re right.
> 343 might not have been in their best shape regarding multiplayer, but storywise, Halo 4 was awesome!
> The Forerunner involvement they introduced in this new chapter is most welcome!
> Epicness awaits us. :smiley:
>
> (just wish that after Halo 3, Halo games would’ve been about… you know… Halos!)

i dont think anyone is going to say the campaign is bad. but that is not what keeps a game alive. there is no campaign dlc. what keeps a game alive is the multiplayer

> we are not talking about halo 1 multiplayer. lots of first person shooters were fun back in the day. the thing about halo was that it was new, aliens and spartins and such. but when bungie made halo 2 it was all about multiplayer. then halo 3 continued in the very good multiplayer. then reach came out with very bad multiplayer and everyone left halo or continued to play 3. you know back in halo 2 that was when there was a dedicated team just for multiplayer and they actually did a good job. dont you dare defend 343 for their shortcomings. they came on tv saying how h4 is going to be the best game a good colaboration of all of the halo games, how reach was not the next halo how halo 4 is the true next halo, when halo reach was supposed to be a prequel. bla bla bla. i am glad 343 kept it alive but they just need to get it togather and forfill all their clames they were making.

I’m not defending 343i for anything, I simply stated how they actually have done Halo justice as developers, because Halo first and foremost is a story. They make good stories.

And as I said, the multiplayer team didn’t hit the mark, but they’re working hard to get it right.

It’s also funny you should say that only multiplayer keeps a game alive. The amount of people playing online is not relative to how many people enjoy the game and it’s series. Is more people online better? Of course. But it’s not an acccurate representation. Halo 1 had no online multiplayer, so did the game never truly even live, according to you?

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not flame or attack other members.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

> > But if you were used to filet mignon and (choose your favorite side), the new meal might make you sad.
>
> I don’t get the metaphor.

wow you dont have to be a rocket scientest to get it. i will spell it out for you. he is saying h4 is nothing like h1-3 and h4 makes h1-h3 fans really sad. you get it now? you sound like a real halo noob. just making an observation.

Putting it blunt.

Story - Fantastic and detailed!

Multiplayer - Tedious, but okay in short bursts.

Hopefully, they have learnt from this and will improve upon the multiplayer in Halo 5. Huge changes won’t, and can’t happen in Halo 4. This was their first go at the new trilogy and they had some high expectations and they wanted to change it up from what Bungie did. No harm done as long as they know what they did wrong, and what the community wants.

I get what you are saying for the most part, but for me multiplayer isn’t a side dish, it’s another course in the same meal. And as much as the campaign course tasted good, it wasn’t filling, and I am left hungry with a second course that just isn’t appetizing.

> Halo is a story first and foremost. When Bungie first made Halo, they were not worried or focused on making the multiplayer super competitive and awesome, it just so happened to accidently turn out that way. What Bungie was focused on, was making an awesome universe with many stories in it. In fact, did you know that The Fall of Reach, the novel, was actually released BEFORE Halo 1? <mark>Halo was even a book before it was a game.</mark>
>
>
> 343i has been awesome caretakers of the Halo universe. There’s so much content on this site in regards to lore, and these days with Halo 4 being focused on, so many people here forget just how awesome 343i is at their job and all the neat things they’ve made here. Heck, I could browse through all the videos related to the universe and lore and it’d take me days straight through to watch I bet. When it comes to making a story and crafting lore, 343i has made the universe so good as to rival things like Star Wars, and they’re dedicated.
>
>
> And, yes, the multiplayer folks at 343i didn’t do the best, but multiplayer has improved dramatically since launch, and work is still being done. They’re dedicated and work hard. But on the other side of things, Halo 4 had an awesome story for campaign and Spartan Ops, that side of the development team really hit the mark for what they wanted.
>
>
> So think of it like this; You have a great salmon meal with steamed vegetables. The salmon (story) is delicious, and the vegetables are good also (multiplayer), but the green beans…they’re a bit chewy.

The book came out a month before the game and was written in 6 weeks, halo ce was being made in 1997 and the story of the game was defiantly done before the book was even starting to be written, so no not really.

Im also gana have to say the spartan ops story wasn’t very good at all, and the games story relied too heavily on the books.

I did not know the fall of reach was released before CE. I just thought bungie had a lot foresight when they put in that line of cortana’s. ‘And as for tracking us all the way from <mark>Reach</mark>, my manuvering options were limited.’

And i think of it as dinner and a desert.

> > we are not talking about halo 1 multiplayer. lots of first person shooters were fun back in the day. the thing about halo was that it was new, aliens and spartins and such. but when bungie made halo 2 it was all about multiplayer. then halo 3 continued in the very good multiplayer. then reach came out with very bad multiplayer and everyone left halo or continued to play 3. you know back in halo 2 that was when there was a dedicated team just for multiplayer and they actually did a good job. dont you dare defend 343 for their shortcomings. they came on tv saying how h4 is going to be the best game a good colaboration of all of the halo games, how reach was not the next halo how halo 4 is the true next halo, when halo reach was supposed to be a prequel. bla bla bla. i am glad 343 kept it alive but they just need to get it togather and forfill all their clames they were making.
>
> I’m not defending 343i for anything, I simply stated how they actually have done Halo justice as developers, because Halo first and foremost is a story. They make good stories.
>
> And as I said, the multiplayer team didn’t hit the mark, but they’re working hard to get it right.
>
>
> It’s also funny you should say that only multiplayer keeps a game alive. The amount of people playing online is not relative to how many people enjoy the game and it’s series. Is more people online better? Of course. But it’s not an acccurate representation. Halo 1 had no online multiplayer, so did the game never truly even live, according to you?

That’s a good point. Bioshock 1 and Infinite, two off the best games ever produced, didn’t have a multiplayer element at all, and I still replay both often.

In recent years, there’s also been a shift away from competitive multiplayer in favor of co-operative offerings. As big a part as multiplayer is in most shooters, it’s not necessary, and developers have found more ways to aid replayability in recent years.

> > > But if you were used to filet mignon and (choose your favorite side), the new meal might make you sad.
> >
> > I don’t get the metaphor.
>
> wow you dont have to be a rocket scientest to get it. i will spell it out for you. he is saying h4 is nothing like h1-3 and h4 makes h1-h3 fans really sad. you get it now? <mark>you sound like a real halo noob.</mark>just making an observation.

Really, really?

> I’m not defending 343i for anything, I simply stated how they actually have done Halo justice as developers, because Halo first and foremost is a story. They make good stories.
>
> And as I said, the multiplayer team didn’t hit the mark, but they’re working hard to get it right.
>
>
> It’s also funny you should say that only multiplayer keeps a game alive. The amount of people playing online is not relative to how many people enjoy the game and it’s series. Is more people online better? Of course. But it’s not an acccurate representation. Halo 1 had no online multiplayer, so did the game never truly even live, according to you?

halo is not first and foremost a story, it was a story, 343 just needs to add a little to it. and i think they did a good job in that sence.

first off halo 1 had a following on pc multiplayer. as for xbox you look at the amount of money halo 1 made bungie vs halo 2 and tell me the multiplayer had nothing to do with it. also, playing games before xbox live are not even compareable really. in the place i grew up it was rare for someone else in the neighborhood to have the same console. what would happen is kids from all around would play at someone’s house. jimmy has an n64, lets go play it. johnny has a playstation lets go play it. n64 007 golden eye started fps on a console.

xbox live really didnt hit it off too well untill halo 2 multiplayer.

The Halo universe is larger than the MP portion.

Sounds about right to me.

> > I watched the terminals and played a little bit of campaign yesterday and you’re right.
> > 343 might not have been in their best shape regarding multiplayer, but storywise, Halo 4 was awesome!
> > The Forerunner involvement they introduced in this new chapter is most welcome!
> > Epicness awaits us. :smiley:
> >
> > (just wish that after Halo 3, Halo games would’ve been about… you know… Halos!)
>
> i dont think anyone is going to say the campaign is bad. but that is not what keeps a game alive. there is no campaign dlc. what keeps a game alive is the multiplayer

The Campaign is bad. There is no replay value, it’s repetitive, the music is lacklustre and bland, the plot is absurd and most of the story is contained within Terminals, other media, and otherwise not within the game itself, the gameplay isn’t very fun, the end was horribly anticlimatic, and it was dreadfully linear to the point where the other games felt like Skyrim.

On the subject of the Multiplayer, it was, if possible, even worse.

> I get what you are saying for the most part, but for me multiplayer isn’t a side dish, it’s another course in the same meal. And as much as the campaign course tasted good, it wasn’t filling, and I am left hungry with a second course that just isn’t appetizing.

You are making me hungry…

> That’s a good point. Bioshock 1 and Infinite, two off the best games ever produced, didn’t have a multiplayer element at all, and I still replay both often.
>
> In recent years, there’s also been a shift away from competitive multiplayer in favor of co-operative offerings. As big a part as multiplayer is in most shooters, it’s not necessary, and developers have found more ways to aid replayability in recent years.

i am not saying a game needs multiplayer to be successful. not at all. but what i am saying is that multiplayer is such a huge part of halo that to ruin it is an abomination. and h4 multiplayer is pretty broken

> The Campaign is bad. There is no replay value, it’s repetitive, the music is lacklustre and bland, the plot is absurd and most of the story is contained within Terminals, other media, and otherwise not within the game itself, the gameplay isn’t very fun, the end was horribly anticlimatic, and it was dreadfully linear to the point where the other games felt like Skyrim.
>
> On the subject of the Multiplayer, it was, if possible, even worse.

lol, thanks. i agree that the campaign has no real replay value. but neither does any of the other halos except for nostalgia. but that doesnt make it bad.