i thought chief was frozen in mark VI?

on the halo 4 trailer chief is wearing some new part tank part jet fighter armor, but i swear at the end of halo 3 chief was wearing mark VI befor he was frozen why is he wearing this new one,

i think that on the first level of halo 4 we will be wearing mark VI for only the first level and during the level it will get damged aand then that when chief is told to switch armor(my opinion).

He is wearing mark VI and people are saying (In ignorance and their own interest) that it is a different armor because of the looks. Which it isn’t seeing how he still has the massive gash on his chest, No way to get a new armor, And Mark VII wouldn’t fair any better against a race that is a threat to the universe.

343i has at least a couple of options here - they could gloss over the fact that, all of the sudden, Chief has working boosters (not a jetpack), at least one new weapon, and significantly different (but obviously damaged) armor, or they could address it in-story somehow. Frankie has said that there’s an explanation to why he looks different, has new toys… but won’t comment because it’s part of the story.

The former would be disappointing, though not unheard-of in video game history. The latter is more likely, in my opinion, because of comments Frankie has made that there’s an explanation, and he’s being coy with it. But it does introduce problems that need solving: if he was in cryo the whole time, how did he get the upgrades? Why now with the boosters, but not when he’s hurtling through space with a giant bomb? And so on.

The boosters were always there…

> The boosters were always there…

They were just never used or built for it until some random guy went ‘Hey guys, chief should so have booster rockets’ and Frank signed off on it while making the continuity guy for Bungie facepalm so hard it was detected in the Andromeda galaxy.

343 better have a good explanation for this move of him leaving a cryotube in new armor. I’ve already caught more than enough hints that Frank might be a monkey who checks off everything proposed. quite frankly, I’m finding all of 343’s continuity changes that came about in these new books and a hint towards it in Halo Legends to be horrible canon misteps. It can now be interpreted that Humanity was not chosen to take up the Forerunner legacy, but rather, they are just kids on time out for fighting the forerunner.

I’m viewing this on a similar level of Darth Vaders past as Whinakin.

Um the boosters were vaguely brought up in the books twice if i remember correctly. They aren’t used because the spartans were never in a situation to use them.

> The boosters were always there…

Indeed, but John has never used them in the games.

im pretty sure the trailer isn’t canon but was meant to show of stuff that may/may not be in the game. and chief has boosters but never used them in games

> im pretty sure the trailer isn’t canon but was meant to show of stuff that may/may not be in the game. and chief has boosters but never used them in games

Fair enough; maybe we shouldn’t derive timeline from it (like Chief’s new armor before being unthawed).

> > The boosters were always there…
>
> Indeed, but John has never used them in the games.

They said back after halo2 that they wanted to use them but they were not sure how to work out the mechanics so they scraped it

> > > The boosters were always there…
> >
> > Indeed, but John has never used them in the games.
>
> They said back after halo2 that they wanted to use them but they were not sure how to work out the mechanics so they scraped it

Oh, Halo 2, what you could have been…

> > The boosters were always there…
>
> Indeed, but John has never used them in the games.

Mhm, in the finished product for the games I don’t think we were ever really in that many situations where they would have even been useful. Aside from the “return to sender” scene with the bomb, I can’t think of any other time where Chief would have really had the opportunity to use them in the Trilogy. Seeing as most of the time we’re indoors/planetside and not in any sort of zero-g environment.

> > > The boosters were always there…
> >
> > Indeed, but John has never used them in the games.
>
> Mhm, in the finished product for the games I don’t think we were ever really in that many situations where they would have even been useful. Aside from the “return to sender” scene with the bomb, I can’t think of any other time where Chief would have really had the opportunity to use them in the Trilogy. Seeing as most of the time we’re indoors/planetside and not in any sort of zero-g environment.

That would have been the prime time to have them, though - that’s kind of like saying “aside from that one time there was water, I can’t imagine when you’d use a boat”.

> im pretty sure the trailer isn’t canon but was meant to show of stuff that may/may not be in the game.

that’s what i keep hearing and it makes sense.

but i’m not convinced that the chief always had his boosters and is still wearing his standard Mk VI - i’m not saying it isn’t so, just trying to keep an open mind concerning everything that has to do with the H4 story!
frankie said that there were reasons - both artistic and story driven - for the suit to look different. this only makes no sense if he’s stranded alone on a hostile planet, hence he has to get some support at some point during the game. maybe usnc, maybe friendly forerunners, ex-covenant or something/someone new.

we know nothing about the storyline of Halo 4, NOTHING - everything in this forums is based on assumptions and for most parts those are concerning the backstory, not the story told in H4.
we assume that the chief is still drifting in space and then lands on/in the Legendary Planet with not stop in-between. but frankie said (in the E3 interview, please correct me if i’m wrong) that something happens between the H3 LE and chief “drifting into the light” from the E3 teaser.

Uh We know that the forerunner Saga is the back bone for the trilogy and that the games were written after the saga was fleshed out. we know that cortana’s rampancy is to play a part which puts the game date at 2556. We know the enemy is “New,Ancient,Evil, and a threat to the entire universe”, We know that the story will incorporate tidbits from the Post-war saga, And we know not all the forerunner buildings we find will be lifeless and dead. We could further Say MC never makes it back sine he is still labeled MIA by 2610.

So we know somethings.

> Uh We know that the forerunner Saga is the back bone for the trilogy and that the games were written after the saga was fleshed out. we know that cortana’s rampancy is to play a part which puts the game date at 2556. We know the enemy is “New,Ancient,Evil, and a threat to the entire universe”, We know that the story will incorporate tidbits from the Post-war saga, And we know not all the forerunner buildings we find will be lifeless and dead. We could further Say MC never makes it back sine he is still labeled MIA by 2610.

nothing of that tells us what will happen in Halo 4.

> > Uh We know that the forerunner Saga is the back bone for the trilogy and that the games were written after the saga was fleshed out. we know that cortana’s rampancy is to play a part which puts the game date at 2556. We know the enemy is “New,Ancient,Evil, and a threat to the entire universe”, We know that the story will incorporate tidbits from the Post-war saga, And we know not all the forerunner buildings we find will be lifeless and dead. We could further Say MC never makes it back sine he is still labeled MIA by 2610.
>
> nothing of that tells us what will happen in Halo 4.

Not directly.

> on the halo 4 trailer chief is wearing some new part tank part jet fighter armor, but i swear at the end of halo 3 chief was wearing mark VI befor he was frozen why is he wearing this new one,
>
> i think that on the first level of halo 4 we will be wearing mark VI for only the first level and during the level it will get damged aand then that when chief is told to switch armor(my opinion).

Very good idea on the second paragraph. He is wearing Mark VI when he went into cryo.
I understand your concern over the armor confusion. Just remember this, watch all the Halo reveal trailers. In every one of them the trailer is little to nowhere near like the final game.
Frank has already said that the armor will have a canonical explanation in the campaign, so we’ll find out. The most commonly accepted theory is that he receives Mark VII from the UNSC Infinity or another supplier.

> Not directly.

that’s what i’m saying. we make assumptions based on that. some are more, some are less sophisticated, but they stay what they are: assumptions.

we don’t know what 343i is up to in detail. it might just happen that john & cortana activate some sort of beacon that leads the UNSC to the planet they’re stranded on/in, resulting in him getting a Mk VII.
he might stumble across friendly forerunners (or FR AI) that improves his armor.
he might get picked up by a rescue team and the shield-world defenses attack the rescue ship, which crashes on the planet - explaining the different looks of the ship john’s on in H3 and the H4 teaser.

don’t take any of the above mentioned seriously, those are just quick shot examples i made up while writting this post.
the point is: 343i has a lot of playground for the story, while still sticking to the background story given by, for examples, the forerunner books by bear.
we have an idea of the ground work for the new trilogy, but we have no idea how the building will look like when it’s finished.

Something most people seem to have missed is that it was confirmed in Glasslands that Mjolnir has a supply of nanomachines with which to pfysically repair itself. Now, if you were a super sentient AI stuck in half a ship in the middle of nowhere for a few years, what would you do to pass the time?

“Chief, wake up.”

“…Ar. What time is it?”

“Nevermind about that, youve got work to do.”

“OMG what happened to my suit?”

“Ive made a few modifications while you were asleep. I managed to download a copy of Halseys Mark VII prototype plans before we left Reach. I used your suits nanites to slowly physically modify and upgrade your systems to the MK VII spec over the course of oh, a few years. Halseys plans were unfinished by the time reach fell, but i did my best to fill in the gaps. Great minds think alike as they say…”

“…cool.”

Thats how i see it going down anyway. I hope they dont just mcguffin it like the handplates from H2>H3 :confused: