I think the forge maps are too small

They are all really really small!
Forge world was huge and it was alot of fun playing on such a huge map
and now each of the maps are like 10-20% of forge world…
i really cant see this bieng fun at all (i dont have a time machine)
they are so so so small…
i thought at first: ok well the green map is big so i dont care about how small the space map and the cave map are.
But then at the new gamestop video i saw the green map that called rivine or something is dont remember. and i also saw that the map is really really really small but like really small.
i couldnt belive my eyes… HELL i think sandtrap was bigger lol.
i dont think that forge is going to be more then killing each other…

What do you think about the maps sizes?

Forge World ruined Reach for a lot of people. It created stale maps, hell, it forced Bungie to ship a game with forge maps on disc.

I never want to see that happen to Halo again. Especially just for the benefit of a minority in the Halo community.

Stop whining, you’re getting amazing value for your 60 bucks in buying this game.

And remember you have 3 maps.

Agreed. Thanks to Certain Affinity, we can no longer make those huge, non-cramped maps like we could in Reach.

I’d be happy with a Blood Gulch canyon to Firge in, or something to that effect, but instead they give us closets.

Anyone complaining about the maps being too small: I have a simple solution. Rather than sticking a base on either side of the enormous, bland area you’ve been pining for, try making most of or the entire battlefield out of Forge parts. It’s definitely possibly if you have the skill. Plus, someone else quotes a guy saying that restrictions breed creativity–so instead of BTB map makers plopping a base down on either side of Hemmorhage, try more unique approaches. Using even an ounce of adaptability, you’ll find that our three new forge worlds are far bigger than ‘closets’.

> Forge World ruined Reach for a lot of people. It created stale maps, hell, it forced Bungie to ship a game with forge maps on disc.
>
> I never want to see that happen to Halo again. Especially just for the benefit of a minority in the Halo community.

Putting aside the fact that toning down Forge because of Reach doesn’t make any sense at all and is a huge overreaction, you must have not played much Halo 3 customs or realized how large of a following it had. PC games like Warcraft 3 and Gmod did it right, you give modding power to the community and effectively prolong your game forever (and may even create an entire new genre of video games like MOBAs) while continually coming out with new amazing content, all without one finger lifted from the developers.

I think they are fine.

They seem to be big enough for BTB forging and they have some areas that can be easily blocked or sealed off to fit for 4vs4 matches.

I like it.

Then again, I’ve never been ungrateful.

yeah i am really disappointed with this. i think it’s awesome that we have 3 unique forge environments, but none of the maps have a lot of room at all for something like a warthog to drive around.

the grassy flat(ish)area in ravine is pretty small i’m sure a warthog could get from one side to another pretty fast.

erosion doesn’t look like it would be easy at all for a vehicle to drive around it and also there isn’t that much flat(ish) land area anyway.

Impact is the same thing, the surfaces of the asteroids are pretty flat and all but you can’t speed around in a warthog on them for very long.

Obviously you can make more flat drive-able areas with forge pieces but it’s not really the same.
But for less vehicle oriented maps, the 3 forge maps are going to be awesome, with more variety too. I’m hoping they’ll maybe release another (maybe larger) forge map in DLC in the future.

They definitely seem small to me. The biggest one doesn’t even seem as big as the remake of Valhalla that is shipping with the game. My concern isn’t about making huge open maps, my concern is the huge openness of Forge World allowed people to make some awesome unique creations. Some of the best mini-games were created thanks to the large open world in Forge World.

Forge World was TOO big. To forge a map i had to find elaberate ways of seperating my map from the open world without ruining it. Also most of forge world was unuseable. For these reasons most Forge world maps were built in the small flat grass above the “entrance”.

> Stop whining, you’re getting amazing value for your 60 bucks in buying this game.
>
> And remember you have 3 maps.

He asks you what you think about the sizes of the map, Not -Yoink- licking 343.

On Topic:

They are okay. Just a little to small. Going to miss the long race tracks :frowning:

my only complaint is the box on erosion. i wish it was as big as the box area on forge world, but it will have to do. besides that i’m happy.

They look big enough to me, you dont really need a huge environment to make a decent map.

> <mark>They are all really really small!</mark>
> Forge world was huge and it was alot of fun playing on such a huge map
> and now each of the maps are like 10-20% of forge world…
> i really cant see this bieng fun at all (i dont have a time machine)
> they are so so so small…
> i thought at first: ok well the green map is big so i dont care about how small the space map and the cave map are.
> But then at the new gamestop video i saw the green map that called rivine or something is dont remember. and i also saw that the map is really really really small but like really small.
> i couldnt belive my eyes… HELL i think sandtrap was bigger lol.
> i dont think that forge is going to be more then killing each other…
>
> What do you think about the maps sizes?

I don’t know what video you were watching, but the maps I saw were clearly not “really really small”

> yeah i am really disappointed with this. i think it’s awesome that we have 3 unique forge environments, but none of the maps have a lot of room at all for something like a warthog to drive around.

they are very large espicially impact and erosion. they could easily fit any kind of vehicle onthem. you jutt have to know how to make a map work. with forge world i found myself beign limited because i just had one bland enviroment and found i made more indoor maps than outdoor just to get rid of the bland feeling of forge world.

> the grassy flat(ish)area in ravine is pretty small i’m sure a warthog could get from one side to another pretty fast.

bigger isnt always better. with these you have 3 BTB maps that can be modified to fit any gametype and map style. you just have to be good at it. maybe now all the noob map creators wont get their unbalanced and ugly maps placed in MM and actaully let the good forgers get credit.

> erosion doesn’t look like it would be easy at all for a vehicle to drive around it and also there isn’t that much flat(ish) land area anyway.

flat land tends to make it to easy for vehicles to get kills and not get killed. rugged and uneven terrain provides cover for infantry while making obstacles for vehicles. better learn how to drive if you want to survive in a vehicle.

> Impact is the same thing, the surfaces of the asteroids are pretty flat and all but you can’t speed around in a warthog on them for very long.

why do you need to drive long distances? in forge world you either drove in an infinite circle or in a straightline for 2 minutes before turning around and heading back plus i can easily think of tons of way to split up the map and hell even combine it all into one huge map. just have to be smart and creative.

> Obviously you can make more flat drive-able areas with forge pieces but it’s not really the same.

how is it not the same? its flat terrain is that not what you wanted or shall i make the forge pieces at different levels to make it bumpy? flat is flat dude.

> But for less vehicle oriented maps, the 3 forge maps are going to be awesome, with more variety too.

they will be awesome with vehicle oriented maps as well. just be more creative about it. by limiting you to the map they force you to be creative and deliberate with your placement.

> I’m hoping they’ll maybe release another (maybe larger) forge map in DLC in the future.

here is something i can agree with but they would need it to be not as bland as forge world. ornthey could make a bunch of medium to large maps with desert and snow kinda like sandbox but different.

Trust me, they’re much bigger than you think. The Ravine is about seven times bigger than sandtrap, and the others are even bigger. When one is presented with an empty forge map on a YouTube video, it can look very small.

Just wait, my friend, everything will be okay…

> They are all <mark>really really small</mark>!

Nope. They aren’t even “really small” or even just “small”. Combined, they look about as big as Forge World if not bigger. However with that map volume split up between three maps, hopefully it means the maps will be a bit more stable in regards to having loads of items in the same areas without it getting glitchy ala Forge World.

> HELL i think sandtrap was bigger lol.

The glowing lake on Erosion alone looks bigger than the playable area of Sandtrap, not to mention the sheer empty space on Impact.

Anyway, overall I think they look magnificent. The natural parts. Not the forge item parts. There’s still a distinct possibility that we’re going to end up with bland maps once again unless 343 has done something specific to avoid that.

They’re not small though, you guys saying such must have bad vision.