i think reach was a rush job... (long read)

first off i am a Halo geek

well i have been wanting to type up something on why i think Halo Reach was a rush job by bungie. there are a few things wrong with the story. so reach is supposed to be before Halo CE right? then what happened to the armor abilities in halo 1-3? i guess when reach was glassed the technology was lost. thats a good possibility.

ok so on to the next thing that bugs be. the skirmishers… where are they in Halo 1-3? they are part of the jackal species right? so were they completely wiped out when reach was glassed? yes i know i look into things way too much. but hey im a halo geek. also one more thing before i go.

Cortana… my favorite character. so reach is before halo 1 right? so noble 6 delivers her to the pillar of autumn right? then the ship leaves and jumps to the first halo ring. the chief was put in cryo sleep before the ship leaves so that would pretty much say that cortana and the chief have never met. but in the beginning of halo ce cortana says to the chief… cortana>>> sleep well? chief>>> no thanks to your driving … yeah. cortana>>> so you did miss me… umm how can he miss someone he has never met?

i know i know im thinking about this stuff way to much… also one more thing… where did all the bad -Yoink- weapons in reach go in Halo 1-3??? way too many things not thought thru by bungie. sorry bungie but halo reach is by far the worst game in the Halo universe.

You are correct about the first two, that’s what Bungie even said happened.

Cortana went on a mission with Chief in The Fall of Reach novel, so they had met before Halo CE.

I think we have to remember that were talking about “video games”. Sure things like weapons and armor abilities don’t really make sense in the timeline, but it’s what help gave Reach the sort of brand new feel especially to multiplayer. Your not alone when you say things don’t really make sense in the story and already in Halo 4 some people are confused to as why there are no Promeathian vehicles and only covie and unsc. All i can say is relax and just enjoy the game for what it is.

As it was said above, Reach did yes have newer weapons, focus rifle, a newer Assault Rifle and even the DMR, but if you guys fish around and read you can find some pretty weird things that tell you WHY all this is how it is.
Take the Assault Rifle for instance, there are 5 different variants of it:
MA5B - Standard Issue AR, with 60 Rounds ( Halo CE )
MA5C - Another Standard Issue, 32 Rounds ( Halo 3/Halo 3 ODST…soon Halo 4 )
MA5K - A stripped down version ( In the Halo Novels )
MA37 - Newest Standard Issue ( Halo Reach )

And as for the Halo 4 part up there in the last post about story confusion, I agree, I mean, since when are there so many Covenant again??!!
Sure most were defeated, but the story takes place with the ELITES at the helm of the Covenant rather than any more San Sh’yumm (Prophets).

The Elites that fought alongside you in Halo 3, were Elite SEPARATISTS, with other Elites abandoning the Elite ranks.
After returning home, the Arbiter was killed and the Elites took over and started the Covenant once more.
Now the UNSC and Covenant have met once again at Requiem, and are in another conflict like they were in Halo Combat Evolved, fighting for control of the Shield World, a single UNSC Supercarrier against 50 ish Covenant vessels.
All we can say is this, BRING ON HALO 4!!!

And Reach wasn’t ‘rushed’, Bungie wanted to send their part of the series out with a more character driven story, focusing more on the Spartan program and defense of Reach.

I’m not trying to persuade you or anything, just giving my point of view :slight_smile:

> You are correct about the first two, that’s what Bungie even said happened.
>
> Cortana went on a mission with Chief in The Fall of Reach novel, so they had met before Halo CE.

^— The fall of reach was later announced to be simple placeholder material to hold fans over until they decided if they were going to explore the planet reach in a later game (which they did with Reach)

The skirmishers arent in halo 1-3 because there are many tribes or jackels on their homeworld, and the remaining skirmishers were either killed off during reach, or went back to being space pirates.

> first off i am a Halo geek
>
> well i have been wanting to type up something on why i think Halo Reach was a rush job by bungie. there are a few things wrong with the story. so reach is supposed to be before Halo CE right? then what happened to the armor abilities in halo 1-3? i guess when reach was glassed the technology was lost. thats a good possibility.
>
> ok so on to the next thing that bugs be. the skirmishers… where are they in Halo 1-3? they are part of the jackal species right? so were they completely wiped out when reach was glassed? yes i know i look into things way too much. but hey im a halo geek. also one more thing before i go.
>
> Cortana… my favorite character. so reach is before halo 1 right? so noble 6 delivers her to the pillar of autumn right? then the ship leaves and jumps to the first halo ring. the chief was put in cryo sleep before the ship leaves so that would pretty much say that cortana and the chief have never met. but in the beginning of halo ce cortana says to the chief… cortana>>> sleep well? chief>>> no thanks to your driving … yeah. cortana>>> so you did miss me… umm how can he miss someone he has never met?
>
> i know i know im thinking about this stuff way to much… also one more thing… where did all the bad -Yoink!- weapons in reach go in Halo 1-3??? way too many things not thought thru by bungie. sorry bungie but halo reach is by far the worst game in the Halo universe.

As for the armor abilities, it was new technology created and being tested on reach. They were prototypes.

Noble six was never intended to be cortana’s partner, he was just chosen by her to be her escort to get to chief. Its not entirly impossible that John would have gone to see halsey while she was creating cortana. Cortana was more than likely finished a while before noble team came to escort her away from sword base.

The reason it takes so long for halsey to open the door and let you in while you defend the lab, is because halsey is transfering cortana to a portable unit.

To fit Reach into the canon, seems like it was almost forced IMO. Plus and IIRC, while Master Chief/Cortana are going through the obstacle course with the turrets, landmines, and Skyhawk, the planet is being invaded at the same time. Someone explain that logic because it’s make doesn’t sense to be doing that when the planet is being invaded.

> As for the armor abilities, it was new technology created and being tested on reach. They were prototypes.
>
> Noble six was never intended to be cortana’s partner, he was just chosen by her to be her escort to get to chief. Its not entirly impossible that John would have gone to see halsey while she was creating cortana. Cortana was more than likely finished a while before noble team came to escort her away from sword base.
>
> The reason it takes so long for halsey to open the door and let you in while you defend the lab, is because halsey is transfering cortana to a portable unit.

Those armore abilities were prototypes, exactly. And who’s to say they would work with A Spartan II? Maybe they just wouldn’t work with MC’s equipment. Or maybe the navy just didnt carry them… Maybe the army had most of the toys.

I could be mistaken but I think Halsey was only transferring research data and it was more likely just a portion of Cortana in the portable unit receiving that research data. Just like in Midnight In The Heart of Midlothian, a portion of an AI can still exist in other systems in multiple places. There is no reason why her physical “core logic” nuts and bolts self can’t be with MC doing whatever while this portion of herself is with this research data on its way to sync up with her at the pillar of autumn. Still all works.

> To fit Reach into the canon, seems like it was almost forced IMO. Plus and IIRC, while Master Chief/Cortana are going through the obstacle course with the turrets, landmines, and Skyhawk, the planet is being invaded at the same time. Someone explain that logic because it’s make sense to be doing that when the planet is being invaded.

That was long before spartan III’S were in Armor and long before Reach was attacked. MC, a spartan II just barely was entering active duty… Right?

I may be nitpicking here, but if you have read the books you know that cortana has been with MC since almost day one, Halsey (To which cortana is based off ) chose MC to have cortana shortly after MCs initial training. Halo 1 Is Not the beginning of MC and cortanas history Though im not dissagreeing with you in saying Reach was rushed. I am saying however a true Halo geek knows the story between cortana/halsey and mc along with most other spartans.

The main issue with the game reach was the incredible disregard to the novels. An changes that were made, MC was on reach just before it got destroyed, But Bungie could have kept all this in the game and rode off his Cyro sleep as a short term sleep that was maybe 6 hours long, And we would have bought it as the pillar of autumn Was There at the end of Reach.

It would have been better to include lindas team as a side plot to tie together the book to the game… but Bungie went with this story instead.

> > To fit Reach into the canon, seems like it was almost forced IMO. Plus and IIRC, while Master Chief/Cortana are going through the obstacle course with the turrets, landmines, and Skyhawk, the planet is being invaded at the same time. Someone explain that logic because it’s make sense to be doing that when the planet is being invaded.
>
> That was long before spartan III’S were in Armor and long before Reach was attacked. MC, a spartan II just barely was entering active duty… Right?

August 29th. The planet is being invaded by then and if you look at the in game cutscenes in Reach that provide dates, the Covenant were destroying the entire planet already and Noble Team was already active, armor and all.

I just think that putting MC through a hazardous test like that is a waste of time and risk losing one the most important UNSC assets around with Reach’s story in the mix. Axing that whole test that -Yoink- Ackerson set up and have MC deploy as soon as he gets his new Mark V armor would worked nicely IMO. That way, there would be no time wasted and it make since for him to react accordingly to the invasion.

ive noticed that alot of people confuse “the fall of reach”, to “First strike” The fall of reach wasnt about the end of reach the majority of this book was MC training, First strike was MC on reach with lindas team Just before it got glassed.

> >
> >
> >
> > > To fit Reach into the canon, seems like it was almost forced IMO. Plus and IIRC, while Master Chief/Cortana are going through the obstacle course with the turrets, landmines, and Skyhawk, the planet is being invaded at the same time. Someone explain that logic because it’s make sense to be doing that when the planet is being invaded.
> >
> > That was long before spartan III’S were in Armor and long before Reach was attacked. MC, a spartan II just barely was entering active duty… Right?
> >

>
> August 29th. The planet is being invaded by then and if you look at the in game cutscenes in Reach that provide dates, the Covenant were destroying the entire planet already and Noble Team was already active, armor and all.
>
>
> I just think that putting MC through a hazardous test like that is a waste of time and risk losing one the most important UNSC assets around with Reach’s story in the mix. Axing that whole test that -Yoink!- Ackerson set up and have MC deploy as soon as he gets his new Mark V armor would worked nicely IMO. That way, there would be no time wasted and it make since for him to react accordingly to the invasion.

You mentioned Aug 29th, that day Cortana and Chief faced off against some soldiers and a missile thing… the year was the same year Reach was attacked. MC started training on Reach in the year of 2517. Reach was attacked in 2552… but what was the date Reach was attacked?

Also that was not MC in the cryo tube at the end of Halo Reach, that was Linda… so that doesn’t interfere at all with the story of MC… nice try though.

> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > > To fit Reach into the canon, seems like it was almost forced IMO. Plus and IIRC, while Master Chief/Cortana are going through the obstacle course with the turrets, landmines, and Skyhawk, the planet is being invaded at the same time. Someone explain that logic because it’s make sense to be doing that when the planet is being invaded.
> > >
> > > That was long before spartan III’S were in Armor and long before Reach was attacked. MC, a spartan II just barely was entering active duty… Right?
> > >

> >
> > August 29th. The planet is being invaded by then and if you look at the in game cutscenes in Reach that provide dates, the Covenant were destroying the entire planet already and Noble Team was already active, armor and all.
> >
> >
> > I just think that putting MC through a hazardous test like that is a waste of time and risk losing one the most important UNSC assets around with Reach’s story in the mix. Axing that whole test that -Yoink!- Ackerson set up and have MC deploy as soon as he gets his new Mark V armor would worked nicely IMO. That way, there would be no time wasted and it make since for him to react accordingly to the invasion.
>
> You mentioned Aug 29th, that day Cortana and Chief faced off against some soldiers and a missile thing… the year was the same year Reach was attacked. MC started training on Reach in the year of 2517. Reach was attacked in 2552… but what was the date Reach was attacked?
>
> Also that was not MC in the cryo tube at the end of Halo Reach, that was Linda… so that doesn’t interfere at all with the story of MC… nice try though.

You do realize Bungie announced in the Reach forum a long time ago that it was the Master Chief in cryo.

Also, with the Limited and Legendary Editions of Halo Reach, you get Halsey’s journal. It explains how Cortana was split into 2 pieces. It allowed one half of Cortana to help Halsey analyze the Forerunner symbols.

The only flaw that really makes me mad is the fact that Noble team are Spartan IIIs, yet Halsey didn’t know about the Spartan III Project (And wasn’t too pleased about it) until the events of Ghosts of Onyx. Now we look at how Halsey acted as if the Spartan II’s were her children, knowing them all by name. What’s the deal with the whole pit hole of Retcons and canon drops involving Noble Team’s interactions with Halsey alone?

Please someone tell me there’s something explaining this, it’s been driving me nuts for two years.

> >
> >
> >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > > To fit Reach into the canon, seems like it was almost forced IMO. Plus and IIRC, while Master Chief/Cortana are going through the obstacle course with the turrets, landmines, and Skyhawk, the planet is being invaded at the same time. Someone explain that logic because it’s make sense to be doing that when the planet is being invaded.
> > > >
> > > > That was long before spartan III’S were in Armor and long before Reach was attacked. MC, a spartan II just barely was entering active duty… Right?
> > > >

> > >
> > > August 29th. The planet is being invaded by then and if you look at the in game cutscenes in Reach that provide dates, the Covenant were destroying the entire planet already and Noble Team was already active, armor and all.
> > >
> > >
> > > I just think that putting MC through a hazardous test like that is a waste of time and risk losing one the most important UNSC assets around with Reach’s story in the mix. Axing that whole test that -Yoink!- Ackerson set up and have MC deploy as soon as he gets his new Mark V armor would worked nicely IMO. That way, there would be no time wasted and it make since for him to react accordingly to the invasion.
> >
> > You mentioned Aug 29th, that day Cortana and Chief faced off against some soldiers and a missile thing… the year was the same year Reach was attacked. MC started training on Reach in the year of 2517. Reach was attacked in 2552… but what was the date Reach was attacked?
> >
> > Also that was not MC in the cryo tube at the end of Halo Reach, that was Linda… so that doesn’t interfere at all with the story of MC… nice try though.
> >

>
> You do realize Bungie announced in the Reach forum a long time ago that it was the Master Chief in cryo.

Even though the book puts Linda in a cryo tube in that location of the ship and MC in the Cryo bay…

Too bad Reach is the most polished Halo game yet…

> The only flaw that really makes me mad is the fact that Noble team are Spartan IIIs, yet Halsey didn’t know about the Spartan III Project (And wasn’t too pleased about it) until the events of Ghosts of Onyx. Now we look at how Halsey acted as if the Spartan II’s were her children, knowing them all by name. What’s the deal with the whole pit hole of Retcons and canon drops involving Noble Team’s interactions with Halsey alone?
>
> Please someone tell me there’s something explaining this, it’s been driving me nuts for two years.

If she knew all of them then she should wonder why they aren’t spartan 2’s but have shields and spartan armor… Sigh this problem bugs me to

The game and the novel are completely different canon wise.