I think it's time for hydro combat...

Ok so I would like to start by saying that we would only need 2 water type vehicles. First would be the Walrus. In short the Walrus would be the in water equivalent of a Warthog. The second vehicle would be the Dolphin basically the water equivalent to the Mongoose. Of course these vehicles would only be on maps that have water so possibly 2-3 maps would be made where these vehicles could be put to good use. This would be a great time to have a nice remake of Relic. Could you imagine gunning around the island on a Walrus or getting from one side of the map to another with great speed on the Dolphin? Markers would be added on the outside of the map so you would know how far you could go out. If you pass the markers you get the return to battlefield message. A different style map could be like Sandtrap with the Elephant trail but with water and the new water vehicles. The map would be small bridges every once in a while so you could cross without dying in the water. Unless of course swim is added which is a whole different topic in itself.

Who here would seriously love to see some aquatic combat?

Scuba diving equipment.

Forge world was built for water vehicles. It jus shows how bungie no longer gave a -Yoink- for halo reach and wanted to shove it out the door by deleting the boats…

Whenever I see someone calling for water combat, I go “meh.”

> Who here would seriously love to see some aquatic combat?

Not me.

Water combat means flat featureless plains and more importantly, no cover to retreat behind to avoid death. This means that battles become a case of who shot who first. And remember that Spartans still die if they hit water, which means it’s a vehicle that won’t have infantry vs vehicle interactions, which means that all players have to do to screw you over is to just leave you alone. And players can only get in and out of it at set points.

And for what gain?

This vehicle is already accomplishing what we already have. The only thing gained is a new skin for the Warthog and a new setting to play with it in.

Given what we are loosing this isn’t a viable option.

> Whenever I see someone calling for water combat, I go “meh.”

It’s understandable. I used to think the idea of water vehicles was pretty lame but I’ve recently been wanting to see it. What could it hurt? It wouldn’t alter gameplay much and it would definitely be interesting. It would also be nice to see a mission in the campaign make use of water vehicles.

When I think of water combat I think of a map like Beaver Creek except its surrounded by water. Each team gets a small water craft to attempt to control the perimeter of water.

A map could be designed around a whirlpool.

Multi level water maps could feature a waterfall that can be sailed off of.

Floating mines could be deployed.

A short range swim mechanic could be introduced to allow for water hijackings. (You get an “Argh Matey” medal)

Elites could be better swimmers than humans.

A new water based enemy species could be introduced.

Underwater, Bioshock dome, style levels could be introduced with submarine style craft in the water around the dome.

The reason for being underwater, campaign wise, could be due to a crash landing or curiosity of what’s beneath the water or a tip/sign showing the path to something Chief desires.

> Ok so I would like to start by saying that we would only need 2 water type vehicles. First would be the Walrus. In short the Walrus would be the in water equivalent of a Warthog. The second vehicle would be the Dolphin basically the water equivalent to the Mongoose. Of course these vehicles would only be on maps that have water so possibly 2-3 maps would be made where these vehicles could be put to good use. This would be a great time to have a nice remake of Relic. Could you imagine gunning around the island on a Walrus or getting from one side of the map to another with great speed on the Dolphin? Markers would be added on the outside of the map so you would know how far you could go out. If you pass the markers you get the return to battlefield message. A different style map could be like Sandtrap with the Elephant trail but with water and the new water vehicles. The map would be small bridges every once in a while so you could cross without dying in the water. Unless of course swim is added which is a whole different topic in itself.
>
> Who here would seriously love to see some aquatic combat?

so basically a water light armoured boat, and a two seater jetski?

I want to see water vehicles and possibly underwater vehicles. But the types they introduce will need to suit the types of maps.

any water based vehicle is going to have to be like the ghost or soon as u loose ur gunners ull be screwed=not fun

Maybe for custom games?

I really dont care for water combat but i want to be able to swim. Or a boat so water isnt a sentence for death.

> Ok so I would like to start by saying that we would only need 2 water type vehicles.

You haven’t even sold me on the idea of water combat.

Frankly I think the idea is bound for failure from it’s very conception. It’s replicating an experience we already have and changing up the scenery while making it more boring and more broken and tacking on a whole load of conditions that just limit the fun a player can have.

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.

Probably won’t happen. Water is an easy and scenic way to create map barriers that don’t simply box you in. This idea has been proposed innumerable times in previous Halos and it never comes to fruition. That doesn’t mean it won’t for sure, but I’m sure the developers have brought up and shot down this idea in the studio before with proper reasoning.

If I want the feeling of water combat I take a banshee or a falcon real close to the water. But water combat would feel pretty much useless without the ability to swim and realistically spartans can’t swim. They wear two-ton suits of armor and no matter how strong you are you can’t defy the laws of physics. If something has an average density greater than water, it’s gonna sink.

What about a Shark? (A water Ghost). I like having the ability to pilot a vehicle and shoot, thanks. Teamwork is OVERRATED :wink: But seriously, it would be cool.

seeing as Spartans have, air tight armor that is pressurized for outer space + 90min air supply so why not.
As for the two tons of the armor, swimming could be made possible by adding an air or hydrogen pocket between the gel and electronic layer of the Armor.
it would be interesting for campaign, water vehicle and finally being able to swim. but I’m not sure how it would effect MM balancing. but I open to ideas.

this idea probably would work best on larger maps and(24 players supported by a server), invasion(ie invading a port or beach from a ship)

> > Who here would seriously love to see some aquatic combat?
>
> Not me.
>
> Water combat means flat featureless plains and more importantly, no cover to retreat behind to avoid death. This means that battles become a case of who shot who first. And remember that Spartans still die if they hit water, which means it’s a vehicle that won’t have infantry vs vehicle interactions, which means that all players have to do to screw you over is to just leave you alone. And players can only get in and out of it at set points.
>
> And for what gain?
>
> This vehicle is already accomplishing what we already have. The only thing gained is a new skin for the Warthog and a new setting to play with it in.
>
> Given what we are loosing this isn’t a viable option.

erm… you could build forge maps in the water with ease. you can also add water-based cover.