I really need help with this game

I was really excited to play this game before it came out. I played the beta and followed the game closely ever since it was announced. I felt like 343 had really learned from Halo 4 and were making a great game this time, and they did a good job on this game (minus the campaign, but that’s a different topic). But now that I have been playing the game, I honestly hate my experience with it

I can’t figure this game out. I have been good at Halo for years now. I have put a lot of time and effort into honing my skills and I feel like I am what most Halo players would say is a good a player. I used to come at the top of my team or the top of the game a lot. But this game makes me feel like I absolutely suck. I know each game has some kind of new learning curve, but this game has seemingly reversed YEARS of Halo experience and practice. I can’t help but feel like all that hard work to get to the skill level I have now was all for nothing with this game. I consistently come at the bottom of my team and a lot of times at the bottom of a match. I can’t seem to come out on top in any situation I put myself in or are put into by the enemy. Yesterday I played a game of BTB Slayer and the enemy team had about 70 kills before I ever got my first kill of the game and ended up going 3-15 by the end of the match. I haven’t done that bad in YEARS. I spend most of my time questioning why I haven’t given up on trying to have a single shred of fun. I’m very tired of feeling I can’t do literally anything in this game. Most of my deaths are things I literally can’t do anything about, or so I feel, or maybe I’m not as good as I thought I was

I used to know generally what the right and wrong things were to do in each situation I was put in, but in this game, I have no idea what I’m doing wrong. I have read several posts on here and taken the tips players have provided to other players and used them, but it hasn’t gotten me anywhere. Watching my matches in theater doesn’t help me at all when I have no idea what I did wrong in the situations I’m in, which usually end in me always getting killed by 2 or 3 people at once

I really need help with this game. I hate feeling like I wanna give up on the game, and right now I feel very close to never touching this game again. I know a lot of people are gonna say practice, but I have been practicing and I feel like I have gotten worse at Halo. I know some people are gonna say get good, and that’s what I’m trying to do with this post (it’s hard to get good when I can’t stand a single moment of playing the game). If anyone has any way of helping me get better and literally saving me from quitting this game forever, I would be very appreciative. I don’t expect to win every game and I don’t expect to really good every game, but I wanna get to a point where I can actually have fun, and I’ll take any help I can get to get there

Thank you

Didn’t read the whole thing, but I feel ya man. Sounds like you’ve been having the same problem as me! I used to rule at Halo when it was slow paced, about real tactics, and you can be totally on the ball. This feels like a bit of a mess to me. Half the time I die I don’t even know where the person came from, how they got behind me, where all my team went etc… I think they’ve made it easier to be good at by making kill times lower, maps smaller, super accurate weapons, sprint etc and it’s blown us vets out the water. Some days I do well and it feels good, but there’s definitely less of a skill to it.

> 2533274802103078;2:
> Didn’t read the whole thing, but I feel ya man. Sounds like you’ve been having the same problem as me! I used to rule at Halo when it was slow paced, about real tactics, and you can be totally on the ball. This feels like a bit of a mess to me. Half the time I die I don’t even know where the person came from, how they got behind me, where all my team went etc… I think they’ve made it easier to be good at by making kill times lower, maps smaller, super accurate weapons, sprint etc and it’s blown us vets out the water. Some days I do well and it feels good, but there’s definitely less of a skill to it.

It definitely takes more skill to be good at Halo 5 than other Halos. It’s still about map control and tactics like old Halos, but using the abilities effectively and controlling maps is different

I have two working theories, both of which I’ve derived from my own experience.

Theory one: The game doesn’t keep getting harder, but I keep getting older and slower. It’s actually a more complicated process than this, but the short version will do for now. Anyway, only you can say whether or not this might apply to you, but I’ve definitely found that I’m not the same player I was fifteen years ago, and I’m way beyond the point of trying to recapture that not-so-glorious past. Now I largely spend my Halo days trying to avoid the kinds of situations where my lack of aggression or ability puts me at the greatest disadvantage. Warzone is my new best friend.

Theory two: If you’re speaking primarily about arena play lists then you obviously are butting heads with a ranking system whose purpose in life is to screw with players’ heads. This ranking system couldn’t find its -Yoink- with both hands, and I’m not just beating up on Halo 5 here. I’ve said the same thing about every ranking system that every Halo developer has ever created. Because they have all been garbage. As they continue to be. You’ve been over-ranked, a common and almost unavoidable feature of team-based ranking. Three things. 1. Stick to warzone as much as possible. 2. Ranks will re-set when the season system starts (soon). 3. When a new season finally does start think very carefully about how hard you want to play your ten qualifiers. You can always spend the rest of a season moving up if the system shorts you, but you can’t come back down if it over-ranks you. As you’ve found out this time around. You just get stuck in slaughter after slaughter. It would make anyone quit ranked play for good. Oh, yeah. It did make me quit ranked play after Halo 3. Haven’t been back since. Don’t miss it. Never will.

> 2533274912317447;3:
> > 2533274802103078;2:
> > Didn’t read the whole thing, but I feel ya man. Sounds like you’ve been having the same problem as me! I used to rule at Halo when it was slow paced, about real tactics, and you can be totally on the ball. This feels like a bit of a mess to me. Half the time I die I don’t even know where the person came from, how they got behind me, where all my team went etc… I think they’ve made it easier to be good at by making kill times lower, maps smaller, super accurate weapons, sprint etc and it’s blown us vets out the water. Some days I do well and it feels good, but there’s definitely less of a skill to it.
>
>
> It definitely takes more skill to be good at Halo 5 than other Halos. It’s still about map control and tactics like old Halos, but using the abilities effectively and controlling maps is different

I think it uses different skills. This feels much more rushed. In the old Halos if someone started shooting you in the back, you could turn around, out strafe them and come out on top if you were good enough. On this you’re dead before you even know it. I feel if I played the people at my arena level on Halo 3 I would destroy them, or maybe I’m just much worse now and I don’t realise.

> 2533274802103078;5:
> > 2533274912317447;3:
> > > 2533274802103078;2:
> > > Didn’t read the whole thing, but I feel ya man. Sounds like you’ve been having the same problem as me! I used to rule at Halo when it was slow paced, about real tactics, and you can be totally on the ball. This feels like a bit of a mess to me. Half the time I die I don’t even know where the person came from, how they got behind me, where all my team went etc… I think they’ve made it easier to be good at by making kill times lower, maps smaller, super accurate weapons, sprint etc and it’s blown us vets out the water. Some days I do well and it feels good, but there’s definitely less of a skill to it.
> >
> >
> > It definitely takes more skill to be good at Halo 5 than other Halos. It’s still about map control and tactics like old Halos, but using the abilities effectively and controlling maps is different
>
>
> I think it uses different skills. This feels much more rushed. In the old Halos if someone started shooting you in the back, you could turn around, out strafe them and come out on top if you were good enough. On this you’re dead before you even know it. I feel if I played the people at my arena level on Halo 3 I would destroy them, or maybe I’m just much worse now and I don’t realise.

Definitely feels like the TTK is shorter here versus previous games. But, I was never a Halo beast so it’s whatever… Warzone is keeping me interested for short periods at least…

> 2533274873843883;4:
> I have two working theories, both of which I’ve derived from my own experience.
>
> Theory one: The game doesn’t keep getting harder, but I keep getting older and slower. It’s actually a more complicated process than this, but the short version will do for now. Anyway, only you can say whether or not this might apply to you, but I’ve definitely found that I’m not the same player I was fifteen years ago, and I’m way beyond the point of trying to recapture that not-so-glorious past. Now I largely spend my Halo days trying to avoid the kinds of situations where my lack of aggression or ability puts me at the greatest disadvantage. Warzone is my new best friend.
>
> Theory two: If you’re speaking primarily about arena play lists then you obviously are butting heads with a ranking system whose purpose in life is to screw with players’ heads. This ranking system couldn’t find its -Yoink- with both hands, and I’m not just beating up on Halo 5 here. I’ve said the same thing about every ranking system that every Halo developer has ever created. Because they have all been garbage. As they continue to be. You’ve been over-ranked, a common and almost unavoidable feature of team-based ranking. Three things. 1. Stick to warzone as much as possible. 2. Ranks will re-set when the season system starts (soon). 3. When a new season finally does start think very carefully about how hard you want to play your ten qualifiers. You can always spend the rest of a season moving up if the system shorts you, but you can’t come back down if it over-ranks you. As you’ve found out this time around. You just get stuck in slaughter after slaughter. It would make anyone quit ranked play for good. Oh, yeah. It did make me quit ranked play after Halo 3. Haven’t been back since. Don’t miss it. Never will.

Sounds like a bit of both for me! Although I’d still say I could hold my ground on the old games.
You’re definitely right about the ranking system though. I was playing arena yesterday with my uni friend who’s only ranked gold and it was glorious. It felt like I was good again!
I can’t wait for social playlist to finally be released because I just don’t have the care to do well any more, while the other people my arena rank seem to want to put their all in.

You still have decent stats, not sure what you are complaining about. If you are upset you aren’t just wrecking kids each game, then I would say the ranking system must be working somewhat.

> 2533274833571519;8:
> You still have decent stats, not sure what you are complaining about. If you are upset you aren’t just wrecking kids each game, then I would say the ranking system must be working somewhat.

I have decent stats, but I don’t know how honestly. I go negative almost every game now and I usually come at or near the bottom of the whole game. When I get into fights, it isn’t very often that I come out on top, regardless of my weapon, my positioning, my strafing, or anything. I know what my KD is on here, and if you saw my performance in the game, you would be wondering how it’s that high too. Don’t let the stats speak for me, I’m speaking for me

And no, I’m not upset that I don’t wreck every game. But I hate feeling like I have worked years at getting good at Halo just to go 3-15, 4-12, 8-17, ect.

You have a 1.563 kd and 58% win rate … must be doing something right :slight_smile:
Just the usual tips really.
Learn to thrust away
Dont sprint
Lower sensitivity
Move side to side while shooting not forwards and backwards
Use the pistol instead of the AR
Loosen up if your tense about doing badly then you wont be able to use the controller as well
Learn the maps

You know those kind of things

Hang on i am confused here, I just took a look at your service record that is anything but bad. You have a positive K/D your in the diamond Division too. I really don’t see your issue mate your being too hard on yourself :slight_smile:

> 2533274908070201;1:
> I was really excited to play this game before it came out. I played the beta and followed the game closely ever since it was announced. I felt like 343 had really learned from Halo 4 and were making a great game this time, and they did a good job on this game (minus the campaign, but that’s a different topic). But now that I have been playing the game, I honestly hate my experience with it
>
> I can’t figure this game out. I have been good at Halo for years now. I have put a lot of time and effort into honing my skills and I feel like I am what most Halo players would say is a good a player. I used to come at the top of my team or the top of the game a lot. But this game makes me feel like I absolutely suck. I know each game has some kind of new learning curve, but this game has seemingly reversed YEARS of Halo experience and practice. I can’t help but feel like all that hard work to get to the skill level I have now was all for nothing with this game. I consistently come at the bottom of my team and a lot of times at the bottom of a match. I can’t seem to come out on top in any situation I put myself in or are put into by the enemy. Yesterday I played a game of BTB Slayer and the enemy team had about 70 kills before I ever got my first kill of the game and ended up going 3-15 by the end of the match. I haven’t done that bad in YEARS. I spend most of my time questioning why I haven’t given up on trying to have a single shred of fun. I’m very tired of feeling I can’t do literally anything in this game. Most of my deaths are things I literally can’t do anything about, or so I feel, or maybe I’m not as good as I thought I was
>
> I used to know generally what the right and wrong things were to do in each situation I was put in, but in this game, I have no idea what I’m doing wrong. I have read several posts on here and taken the tips players have provided to other players and used them, but it hasn’t gotten me anywhere. Watching my matches in theater doesn’t help me at all when I have no idea what I did wrong in the situations I’m in, which usually end in me always getting killed by 2 or 3 people at once
>
> I really need help with this game. I hate feeling like I wanna give up on the game, and right now I feel very close to never touching this game again. I know a lot of people are gonna say practice, but I have been practicing and I feel like I have gotten worse at Halo. I know some people are gonna say get good, and that’s what I’m trying to do with this post (it’s hard to get good when I can’t stand a single moment of playing the game). If anyone has any way of helping me get better and literally saving me from quitting this game forever, I would be very appreciative. I don’t expect to win every game and I don’t expect to really good every game, but I wanna get to a point where I can actually have fun, and I’ll take any help I can get to get there
>
> Thank you

Honestly man, play war zone as much as you can. A lot of players who play Halo usually stay in the arena mostly. When i first picked this up, all i did was play war zone so i can get used to the game.

> 2533274885506317;11:
> Hang on i am confused here, I just took a look at your service record that is anything but bad. You have a positive K/D your in the diamond Division too. I really don’t see your issue mate your being too hard on yourself :slight_smile:

The stats don’t speak for themselves. I go negative almost every game. I have no idea how I’m Diamond

On a side note, due to the spawns being the worst in any game I’ve ever played and having really bad luck, I don’t think I’ve ever had a more unfair experience in a game

> 2533274873843883;4:
> I have two working theories, both of which I’ve derived from my own experience.
>
> Theory one: The game doesn’t keep getting harder, but I keep getting older and slower. It’s actually a more complicated process than this, but the short version will do for now. Anyway, only you can say whether or not this might apply to you, but I’ve definitely found that I’m not the same player I was fifteen years ago, and I’m way beyond the point of trying to recapture that not-so-glorious past. Now I largely spend my Halo days trying to avoid the kinds of situations where my lack of aggression or ability puts me at the greatest disadvantage. Warzone is my new best friend.
>
> Theory two: If you’re speaking primarily about arena play lists then you obviously are butting heads with a ranking system whose purpose in life is to screw with players’ heads. This ranking system couldn’t find its -Yoink- with both hands, and I’m not just beating up on Halo 5 here. I’ve said the same thing about every ranking system that every Halo developer has ever created. Because they have all been garbage. As they continue to be. You’ve been over-ranked, a common and almost unavoidable feature of team-based ranking. Three things. 1. Stick to warzone as much as possible. 2. Ranks will re-set when the season system starts (soon). 3. When a new season finally does start think very carefully about how hard you want to play your ten qualifiers. You can always spend the rest of a season moving up if the system shorts you, but you can’t come back down if it over-ranks you. As you’ve found out this time around. You just get stuck in slaughter after slaughter. It would make anyone quit ranked play for good. Oh, yeah. It did make me quit ranked play after Halo 3. Haven’t been back since. Don’t miss it. Never will.

Theory is true for me.