I really dislike the art direction taken in H2A

Halo 2 had a gritty feeling to it. The armor looked metallic and dirty and torn up. In H2A (especially the multiplayer), they made everything too clean and vibrant. The armor looks plastic, like it did in Halo 3 and 4, and the colors are all overly bright and juicy. Say what you want about that art style, but what it isn’t is Halo 2. The dirty, war-torn grit in everything is what to me made Halo 2 unique among the games, and I feel like that was completely overlooked.

Not to mention I feel like they completely took a 180 on some of the artistic changes in campaign levels that destroyed any sort of mood the original had going for it. For instance:

Halo 2 - Ominous reddish sky, signalling a heavy fight
Halo 2 Anniversary - Plain daytime normal sky, complete color pallete and time of day swap

Halo 2 - Dreary, with god rays poking through the clouds
Halo 2 Anniversary - Sunny and happy, looks exactly like The Silent Cartographer (Halo CE) and The Covenant (Halo 3)

And some reference screenshots for the character models and armor:

Halo 2, Halo 2 - Metallic, gritty
Halo 2 Anniversary, Halo 2 Anniversary - Looks like a comic book

I mean, they definitely did do a good job with the multiplayer maps. They look incredible in their own right. But some of them just don’t capture the essence that their Halo 2 versions did, like the Ascension remake (although it’s cool how the clouds cleared up and showed you what was beneath), and the Zanzibar remake looking more like Last Resort than Zanzibar.

Some of their choices for weapon skins also puzzle me, like how there are 2 distinctly different versions of some weapons in H2A campaign and multiplayer (the SMG and Magnum come to mind), and how most of the weapons were simply updated models of the Halo 2 versions (BR, shotgun, magnum) but the sniper rifle is a straight rip out of Halo: Reach when it looks nothing like the Halo 2 sniper rifle.

And probably the biggest thing that annoys me is how H2A campaign levels are nothing but retextures, rather than having new geometrical skins like Halo CE Anniversary, and the lighting looks like crap in some places. Maybe if they didn’t make the Halo 2 Classic toggle have 1080p and upgraded lighting, it would free up some space for the remaster to actually, you know, look good. Because the upgraded Halo 2 Classic honestly looks better in some spots. It would also show you how far the game has actually come if you had to toggle between the original 480i 30 FPS version and Anniversary :slight_smile:

Well what they did to save time and money is take halo 2 skin it with halo 4 and make a few adjustments bam halo 2 anniversary

This, I completely agree. It’s missing the gritty feeling of the original. Especially in some of the flood levels.

> 2533274801472802;1:
> And probably the biggest thing that annoys me is how H2A campaign levels are nothing but retextures, rather than having new geometrical skins like Halo CE Anniversary, and the lighting looks like crap in some places. Maybe if they didn’t make the Halo 2 Classic toggle have 1080p and upgraded lighting, it would free up some space for the remaster to actually, you know, look good. Because the upgraded Halo 2 Classic honestly looks better in some spots. It would also show you how far the game has actually come if you had to toggle between the original 480i 30 FPS version :slight_smile:

It’s actually the opposite. CEA used a crap load of Reach models and textures (even some from Halo 3, like the drop ship pilot’s armor when they’re leaving the Autumn), and they got a lot of complaints about it. So Halo 2 Anniversary had new textures and character models. Notice the Elites? ODSTs? Marines? Brand new. Not imported from any other game. Warthog and tank? Sure those are from Halo 4. But Wraith and Phantoms and Pelicans … all new and pretty true to the original.

Whereas CEA? Marines, Elites, Jackals, Warthogs, Wraiths, Spirits, Grunts, Hunters, Pelicans, Banshees, Ghosts, (some) Weapons … all from Reach.

I do agree that some areas in terms of atmosphere seem more fitting in the old graphics (that goes both for CEA & H2A), but overall, I prefer the anniversary visuals.

I agree with the Halo 2A multiplayer models and and first image. I like the graphical update, but the red sky and fog was awesome, I don’t know why they would change that. Also, Halo 2A multiplayer models look like actual action figures. It’s ridiculous. Hopefully Halo 5 doesn’t take after Halo 2A’s designs.

> 2533274883669557;4:
> > 2533274801472802;1:
> > And probably the biggest thing that annoys me is how H2A campaign levels are nothing but retextures, rather than having new geometrical skins like Halo CE Anniversary, and the lighting looks like crap in some places. Maybe if they didn’t make the Halo 2 Classic toggle have 1080p and upgraded lighting, it would free up some space for the remaster to actually, you know, look good. Because the upgraded Halo 2 Classic honestly looks better in some spots. It would also show you how far the game has actually come if you had to toggle between the original 480i 30 FPS version :slight_smile:
>
>
> It’s actually the opposite. CEA used a crap load of Reach models and textures (even some from Halo 3, like the drop ship pilot’s armor when they’re leaving the Autumn), and they got a lot of complaints about it. So Halo 2 Anniversary had new textures and character models. Notice the Elites? ODSTs? Marines? Brand new. Not imported from any other game. Warthog and tank? Sure those are from Halo 4. But Wraith and Phantoms and Pelicans … all new and pretty true to the original.
>
> Whereas CEA? Marines, Elites, Jackals, Warthogs, Wraiths, Spirits, Grunts, Hunters, Pelicans, Banshees, Ghosts, (some) Weapons … all from Reach.
>
> I do agree that some areas in terms of atmosphere seem more fitting in the old graphics (that goes both for CEA & H2A), but overall, I prefer the anniversary visuals.

Well I’m talking about the actual level geometry, not really the character and weapon models.

In CEA, you had entire new polygonal structures that were recreated, rather than how H2A has the exact same geometry as before, except with a texture swap. I know part of the reason is because CE was so flat and primitive and Halo 2 was almost on par with Xbox 360 levels of polygon detail.

> 2533274801472802;6:
> > 2533274883669557;4:
> > > 2533274801472802;1:
> > > And probably the biggest thing that annoys me is how H2A campaign levels are nothing but retextures, rather than having new geometrical skins like Halo CE Anniversary, and the lighting looks like crap in some places. Maybe if they didn’t make the Halo 2 Classic toggle have 1080p and upgraded lighting, it would free up some space for the remaster to actually, you know, look good. Because the upgraded Halo 2 Classic honestly looks better in some spots. It would also show you how far the game has actually come if you had to toggle between the original 480i 30 FPS version :slight_smile:
> >
> >
> > It’s actually the opposite. CEA used a crap load of Reach models and textures (even some from Halo 3, like the drop ship pilot’s armor when they’re leaving the Autumn), and they got a lot of complaints about it. So Halo 2 Anniversary had new textures and character models. Notice the Elites? ODSTs? Marines? Brand new. Not imported from any other game. Warthog and tank? Sure those are from Halo 4. But Wraith and Phantoms and Pelicans … all new and pretty true to the original.
> >
> > Whereas CEA? Marines, Elites, Jackals, Warthogs, Wraiths, Spirits, Grunts, Hunters, Pelicans, Banshees, Ghosts, (some) Weapons … all from Reach.
> >
> > I do agree that some areas in terms of atmosphere seem more fitting in the old graphics (that goes both for CEA & H2A), but overall, I prefer the anniversary visuals.
>
>
> Well I’m talking about the actual level geometry, not really the character and weapon models.
>
> In CEA, you had entire new polygonal structures that were recreated, rather than how H2A has the exact same geometry as before, except with a texture swap. I know part of the reason is because CE was so flat and primitive and Halo 2 was almost on par with Xbox 360 levels of polygon detail.

I don’t know what you’re talking about. Both CEA and H2A used new polygons. H2A tried harder to keep them close in size and shape to the original, and I’m glad they did. There were too many instances in CEA where I’d try to shoot something, and hit an invisible wall because you interact with the original geometry while looking at new geometry.

> 2533274801472802;6:
> > 2533274883669557;4:
> > > 2533274801472802;1:
> > > And probably the biggest thing that annoys me is how H2A campaign levels are nothing but retextures, rather than having new geometrical skins like Halo CE Anniversary, and the lighting looks like crap in some places. Maybe if they didn’t make the Halo 2 Classic toggle have 1080p and upgraded lighting, it would free up some space for the remaster to actually, you know, look good. Because the upgraded Halo 2 Classic honestly looks better in some spots. It would also show you how far the game has actually come if you had to toggle between the original 480i 30 FPS version :slight_smile:
> >
> >
> > It’s actually the opposite. CEA used a crap load of Reach models and textures (even some from Halo 3, like the drop ship pilot’s armor when they’re leaving the Autumn), and they got a lot of complaints about it. So Halo 2 Anniversary had new textures and character models. Notice the Elites? ODSTs? Marines? Brand new. Not imported from any other game. Warthog and tank? Sure those are from Halo 4. But Wraith and Phantoms and Pelicans … all new and pretty true to the original.
> >
> > Whereas CEA? Marines, Elites, Jackals, Warthogs, Wraiths, Spirits, Grunts, Hunters, Pelicans, Banshees, Ghosts, (some) Weapons … all from Reach.
> >
> > I do agree that some areas in terms of atmosphere seem more fitting in the old graphics (that goes both for CEA & H2A), but overall, I prefer the anniversary visuals.
>
>
> Well I’m talking about the actual level geometry, not really the character and weapon models.
>
> In CEA, you had entire new polygonal structures that were recreated, rather than how H2A has the exact same geometry as before, except with a texture swap. I know part of the reason is because CE was so flat and primitive and Halo 2 was almost on par with Xbox 360 levels of polygon detail.

Oh … I see. I wasn’t a big fan of that and only for one reason: sometimes the boundaries didn’t align, so often times while sniping, you thought you were clear of the tree or ledge, but if you switched visuals, it would in fact be blocking the shot. Happens a lot on “Truth & Reconciliation”. You’d shoot at an enemy and hit an invisible boundary.

I do agree with you about the atmosphere on “Uprising”, and I had the same thought about it looking like Silent Cartographer and The Covenant, but I actually thought that was kinda cool to have these consistencies on these Forerunner Installations. Though I do think the older visuals fit the mood better.

You do have to admit, the Flood missions like Quarantine Zone, The Oracle, and Gravemind, they did a great job keeping it dark and creepy. CEA brightened the Flood missions up way too much. Nearly ruined the Library.

> 2533274883669557;8:
> > 2533274801472802;6:
> > > 2533274883669557;4:
> > > > 2533274801472802;1:
> > > > And probably the biggest thing that annoys me is how H2A campaign levels are nothing but retextures, rather than having new geometrical skins like Halo CE Anniversary, and the lighting looks like crap in some places. Maybe if they didn’t make the Halo 2 Classic toggle have 1080p and upgraded lighting, it would free up some space for the remaster to actually, you know, look good. Because the upgraded Halo 2 Classic honestly looks better in some spots. It would also show you how far the game has actually come if you had to toggle between the original 480i 30 FPS version :slight_smile:
> > >
> > >
> > > It’s actually the opposite. CEA used a crap load of Reach models and textures (even some from Halo 3, like the drop ship pilot’s armor when they’re leaving the Autumn), and they got a lot of complaints about it. So Halo 2 Anniversary had new textures and character models. Notice the Elites? ODSTs? Marines? Brand new. Not imported from any other game. Warthog and tank? Sure those are from Halo 4. But Wraith and Phantoms and Pelicans … all new and pretty true to the original.
> > >
> > > Whereas CEA? Marines, Elites, Jackals, Warthogs, Wraiths, Spirits, Grunts, Hunters, Pelicans, Banshees, Ghosts, (some) Weapons … all from Reach.
> > >
> > > I do agree that some areas in terms of atmosphere seem more fitting in the old graphics (that goes both for CEA & H2A), but overall, I prefer the anniversary visuals.
> >
> >
> > Well I’m talking about the actual level geometry, not really the character and weapon models.
> >
> > In CEA, you had entire new polygonal structures that were recreated, rather than how H2A has the exact same geometry as before, except with a texture swap. I know part of the reason is because CE was so flat and primitive and Halo 2 was almost on par with Xbox 360 levels of polygon detail.
>
>
> You do have to admit, the Flood missions like Quarantine Zone, The Oracle, and Gravemind, they did a great job keeping it dark and creepy. CEA brightened the Flood missions up way too much. Nearly ruined the Library.

This was my biggest fear coming into the game. I hated how bright and shiny everything was on Cortana in Halo 3 and they brightened up 343 Guilty Spark too much in CE. I was terrified the trend would continue in H2A, especially with such great atmospheric levels like you listed.

Thankfully, they did an amazing job recapturing that same atmosphere in H2A and they look absolutely beautiful in my opinion.

As for everything else i liked the design they took on the mp levels and the campaign. However, character models are atrocious.

Me and MrMartini pretty much share the same opinion on this. Especially the CEA using Reach models… and a recent cannon fodder stating that you should take the Anniversary visuals as canon… GRIM!!!

> 2533274801472802;1:
> Halo 2 had a gritty feeling to it. The armor looked metallic and dirty and torn up. In H2A (especially the multiplayer), they made everything too clean and vibrant. The armor looks plastic, like it did in Halo 3 and 4, and the colors are all overly bright and juicy. Say what you want about that art style, but what it isn’t is Halo 2. The dirty, war-torn grit in everything is what to me made Halo 2 unique among the games, and I feel like that was completely overlooked.
>
> Not to mention I feel like they completely took a 180 on some of the artistic changes in campaign levels that destroyed any sort of mood the original had going for it. For instance:
>
> Halo 2 - Ominous reddish sky, signalling a heavy fight
> Halo 2 Anniversary - Plain daytime normal sky, complete color pallete and time of day swap
>
> Halo 2 - Dreary, with god rays poking through the clouds
> Halo 2 Anniversary - Sunny and happy, looks exactly like The Silent Cartographer (Halo CE) and The Covenant (Halo 3)
>
> And some reference screenshots for the character models and armor:
>
> Halo 2, Halo 2 - Metallic, gritty
> Halo 2 Anniversary, Halo 2 Anniversary - Looks like a comic book
>
> I mean, they definitely did do a good job with the multiplayer maps. They look incredible in their own right. But some of them just don’t capture the essence that their Halo 2 versions did, like the Ascension remake (although it’s cool how the clouds cleared up and showed you what was beneath), and the Zanzibar remake looking more like Last Resort than Zanzibar.
>
> Some of their choices for weapon skins also puzzle me, like how there are 2 distinctly different versions of some weapons in H2A campaign and multiplayer (the SMG and Magnum come to mind), and how most of the weapons were simply updated models of the Halo 2 versions (BR, shotgun, magnum) but the sniper rifle is a straight rip out of Halo: Reach when it looks nothing like the Halo 2 sniper rifle.
>
> And probably the biggest thing that annoys me is how H2A campaign levels are nothing but retextures, rather than having new geometrical skins like Halo CE Anniversary, and the lighting looks like crap in some places. Maybe if they didn’t make the Halo 2 Classic toggle have 1080p and upgraded lighting, it would free up some space for the remaster to actually, you know, look good. Because the upgraded Halo 2 Classic honestly looks better in some spots. It would also show you how far the game has actually come if you had to toggle between the original 480i 30 FPS version and Anniversary :slight_smile:

lol

I agree with the first two examples, and I noticed those things immediately in-game. I don’t tend to like gritty, but in those two instances it just makes sense for it to be that way. I feel especially strongly about the latter, because as you said it went from being dreary to sunny, which makes no sense. They could’ve made it visually appealing while still retaining the foggy look, but whatever.

Mombassa, Delta Halo, and Cairo really did need the touchups though in my opinion.

I liked the look of Halo Reach’s armour the best. Although all the amour pieces could probably do with a wash.

Both anniversary campaigns unnecessarily replaced a few visual elements instead of enhancing the original, but when considering H2A MP I understand why things are overly spruced up and that is because H2A MP is kind of the first Halo built solely for Xbox One so they had to make it standout as much as possible.

go play battlefield 3/4 and then play h2a and I guarantee you won’t moan about h2a’s art style anymore.