I quite enjoyed Mr. Davidge.

Having just listened to the entire Halo 4 soundtrack, I can honestly say that Neil Davidge is the perfect composer for the so-called Reclaimer Saga.

That said, his music wasn’t quite on par with O’Donnel’s. But it was a nice change of direction from the traditional music, and it fit with the overall tone of Halo 4 very well. I think that if he continues to work on Halo’s soundtracks, we will hear some genuine musical masterpieces.

Davidge has already made some great pieces. There’s Green and Blue, 117, Nemesis, Awakening, and many others. We should really give him a chance and let him get used to the “Halo feel”. I don’t think a new composer is necessary, as I’ve seen many claim (of course, you’re entitled to your opinion, as I am).

Let’s give Davidge our feedback; let’s give him the opportunity to learn and get accustomed to the Haloverse. Who knows? He just may surpass O’Donnel.

I seem to be one of an apparently very small minority that thinks Davidge is doing a really good job.

With the departure of the Halo IP out of Bungie’s hands, I was a little curious to see if 343 could bring in a talent to match Mr. O’Donnel’s musical ingress. Needless to say, I think Mr. Davidge nailed it perfectly. Even months after I’ve stopped playing Halo 4 (busy school life, GTA V, etc), his songs still haunt me and remain firmly entrenched in my head.

I don’t remember the name of it, but the main theme that plays on the main menu when Halo 4 first boots up is my favorite Halo theme of all time.

I certainly think some of the music Neil Davidge produced is a welcome addition and evolution to the music of Halo. That said, I also agree with the overall soundtrack not being completely on par with O’Donnel’s.

I enjoyed Davidge’s more techy, attack-style music (I just don’t know words to properly convey what I mean…), but I thought O’Donnel’s work captured more of the grandeur of the universe and scenes.

Some of Halo 4’s music which I have thoroughly enjoyed are:

“Requiem” - The use of this was perfect in capturing the mystery and scale of Requiem’s reveal
“117” - Every time I listen to this I picture a point of view sweeping across battlefields, ascending further over a mountain where a battle looms ahead.

Perhaps Davidge’s direction was to capture more of the music that represents the Cheif as opposed to the music that represents the environment. < if you get what I mean

I love the halo 4 ost,thought Davidge did a great job.

I just love providing the first dissenting opinion! I can’t stand Davidge’s music. I don’t feel that it suits Halo at all, nor do I even like it as standalone music. I especially loathe the annoying menu music and mute it every time I play. I couldn’t recognize any strong unifying themes and most of the amazing and well-established themes from the trilogy, not to mention the entire musical style, were scrapped.

To be fair to Davidge, I didn’t like the audio direction of Halo 4 at all, and the music is just one aspect of that. Needless to say, I am very disappointed with Halo 4 and I sincerely hope that Halo 5 sparks a restoration of the style and feel of the original trilogy, which I believe to be superior.

> I just love providing the first dissenting opinion! I can’t stand Davidge’s music. I don’t feel that it suits Halo at all, nor do I even like it as standalone music. <mark>I especially loathe the annoying menu music and mute it every time I play.</mark> I couldn’t recognize any strong unifying themes and most of the amazing and well-established themes from the trilogy, not to mention the entire musical style, were scrapped.

Yeah the menu theme is pretty awful. Click here for an ultimate blast of nostalgia, I won’t judge if you cry.

While I am partial to Nemesis, Revival and parts of Haven, I have to say the rest of Davidge’s work didn’t quote give me that Halo feeling. Needs more manly monks.

Aside from the menu music (which I really really hate) Davidge’s music is great. That said, classic Halo music (from 1-3) is really missing. It was just so damn good and so damn Halo, that its disappearance in Halo 4 left a hole that Davidge’s music could never feel. Where is Behold a Pale Horse? Where is One Final Effeort? Where is Ghosts of Reach? Where is Finish the Fight? And where the hell is the Halo theme?! Don’t get me wrong, I didn’t expect all of these to appear, but the only one that did (in the end) was Never Forget. I don’t understand why they had to scrap everything that made Halo Halo on the music front with Halo 4. This is not Reach, it’s not ODST- this is HALO 4. A direct continuation to the trilogy. Why must we abandon what made the originals so amazing?

I loved some of the new themes such as Haven, Revival, Solace and Green and Blue. New additions to the OST are definitely necessary (in new mixes that fit the rest of the OST), but the best of the old ones should be kept as well.

I like Neil Davidge’s work.

Don’t blame the composer for not composing Halo with the ‘classic Halo feel’ when the Campaign and story strives far from that classic Halo feel. Your job as a composer is to score a soundtrack that will fit with the game, and Davidge did just that.

I must say though, that I was far more moved and inspired by Marty’s music. But I still love Davidge on Halo :slight_smile:

> Why must we abandon what made the originals so amazing?

I agree. While the Reclaimer Saga is, in a sense, a new continuation, and thus needs a new musical direction, homages to the original pieces should still be produced.

I made a long post about this some time ago but I’m going to keep it short

I like what Neil did with Halo 4. And I want him to stay.

I like Davidage, but they should make the other guy the main composer

> I like Davidage, but they should make the other guy the main composer

What other guy? Salta?

I certainly loved his work. Though I do think it wasn’t well implemented into the game.

Thats what, I think, made the original trilogy and its score so memorable. It was amazingly fit into the game. Halo 3 for example. What plays when you first arrive at the Ark, Farthest Outpost. Heroes Also Fall the scene before Truth is killed.

Implement great scores in great places, like 117 and Arrival in Midnight, and the new feel it gives us will be a great shift from the original feel. Both will fit their respective purpose.

> > I like Davidage, but they should make the other guy the main composer
>
> What other guy? Salta?

Kazuma Jinnouchi, I’m pretty sure he made these songs:
“Majestic”
“Lasky’s Theme”
“Atonement”
“Gravity”
“Wreckage”
"117
“Aliens”

Which all sound great (even though my two favourite Halo songs are made by Davidage, Revival and Solace)

> I certainly loved his work. Though I do think it wasn’t well implemented into the game.
>
> Thats what, I think, made the original trilogy and its score so memorable. It was amazingly fit into the game. Halo 3 for example. What plays when you first arrive at the Ark, Farthest Outpost. Heroes Also Fall the scene before Truth is killed.
>
> Implement great scores in great places, like 117 and Arrival in Midnight, and the new feel it gives us will be a great shift from the original feel. Both will fit their respective purpose.

I actually think the music fit very well within the various scenes. The ones that most prominitely come to mind are Nemesis for the final confrontation with the Didact, and Green and Blue during Cortana’s death.

> I just love providing the first dissenting opinion! I can’t stand Davidge’s music. I don’t feel that it suits Halo at all, nor do I even like it as standalone music. I especially loathe the annoying menu music and mute it every time I play. I couldn’t recognize any strong unifying themes and most of the amazing and well-established themes from the trilogy, not to mention the entire musical style, were scrapped.
>
> To be fair to Davidge, I didn’t like the audio direction of Halo 4 at all, and the music is just one aspect of that. Needless to say, I am very disappointed with Halo 4 and I sincerely hope that Halo 5 sparks a restoration of the style and feel of the original trilogy, which I believe to be superior.

Who would you rather compose the Halo 5 soundtrack then?

I prefer Kazuma Jinnouchi to Neil Davidge by far. Not only is Kazuma’s music better than Davidge’s (IMO), but his music also captures that “Halo Feel” much better than Neil also.

Kazuma Jinnouchi > Neil Davidge

> I certainly think some of the music Neil Davidge produced is a welcome addition and evolution to the music of Halo. That said, I also agree with the overall soundtrack not being completely on par with O’Donnel’s.
>
> I enjoyed Davidge’s more techy, attack-style music (I just don’t know words to properly convey what I mean…), but I thought O’Donnel’s work captured more of the grandeur of the universe and scenes.
>
> Some of Davidge’s music which I have thoroughly enjoyed are:
>
> “Requiem” - The use of this was perfect in capturing the mystery and scale of Requiem’s reveal
> <mark>“117” - Every time I listen to this I picture a point of view sweeping across battlefields, ascending further over a mountain where a battle looms ahead.</mark>
>
> Perhaps Davidge’s direction was to capture more of the music that represents the Cheif as opposed to the music that represents the environment. < if you get what I mean

117 was NOT composed by Neil Davidge. Same goes for Atonement, Sacrifice, Majestic, Intruders, Gravity, Wreckage, Lasky’s Theme, Never Forget (Midnight Version), and Mantis.

These songs were all composed by Kazuma Jinnouchi.

I also like his soundtracks, especially revival, nemesis, arrival, haven and awakening but I thought that he wasn’t going to come back for Halo 5 or any other Halo game? that’s what I read on a thread here a few days ago, they should make Kazuma Jinnouchi the main composer if he won’t be coming back but I think it would be cool to keep them both, they did a great work together.

Here is the thread
https://forums.halowaypoint.com/yaf_postst202470p2_Put-Kazuma-Jinnouchi-as-the-head-composer.aspx
If he won’t come back and Kazuma Jinnouchi will be the new main composer then I expect a lot of the Halo 5 soundtracks to be very epic and memorable, especially after listening to 117, Lasky’s theme, intruders, majestic, mantis, sacrifice etc
I think he deserves to be the main composer but they should also keep neil.