I played Halo 2 Today

I played Halo 2 today .I played it with my Friend Splitscreen .We played Lockout and alot of the other classics.I will probibly be flammed for this but I noticed somthing.It felt slow and dated after getting used to Halo 4.Halo 2 is a great Game and it always will be .Now though I realise why Halo needed to progress.Halo 4 feels much faster paced and Action packed and I dare say fun and I believe Halo has become a better game. Agree or dont agree .Does not matter because it is my opinion.You can though post your opinions below .

(Side note) I have been concidering getting Halo 2 PC and I was wondering is it worth it ? Does everything still work and you can still play games ?

I honestly think they just needed to add sprint to keep in fresh
get rid of aa, load outs, perks, and ordinance

Split-screen?..With a single friend?..No wonder it felt slow to you…

I don’t think it was the pace that is the most complained about aspect of the series. Personally, I appreciate the “slowness”, whatever that means, of Reach. I appreciate the lack of sprint in pre-Reach games.

An “action-packed” Halo (as we have with 4) can certainly be fun. And it is. Halo 4 is fun. But what a lot of people complain about is that this level of action (well, this TYPE of action. All Halos can easily be action-packed :slight_smile: ) was never what made Halo great. It was the arena style gameplay (among many other aspects), of which Halo 4 has very little.

I know what you mean, I feel the same way whenever I go back and play Halo 3. Don’t get me wrong, the old Halo games are great and fun to play, but Halo needed to move forwards, as it has.

I agree with you.

However, your opinion will not be popular because people tend to idealize and romanticize positive experience from the past and irrationally judge things according to standard that isn’t even realistic. The game is not perfect. There are clear decisions that need to be made to improve it. The maps tend to biased to a certain team. Aim assist is a bit too much and I am no fan of bullet magnetism. However, the fundamental gameplay mechanics of Halo 4 multiplayer are, imo, the direction Halo needs to take. 343i did a good job for their flagship release. It was not flawless, but it was good – a lot better than most companies actually.

Maybe it’s because the online aspect of it is missing? Halo 2 was best known for starting matchmaking, but not being able to do it anymore takes a great quality away from the game.

I just played halo 3 mm a few weeks ago. The social playlist only had a population of 62 (lol) but the ranked playlist was still standing strong. It took me at max a minute to find a game. Pretty good for an '07 title :slight_smile:

Just my thoughts.

> I honestly think they just needed to add sprint to keep in fresh
> get rid of aa, load outs, perks, and ordinance

I’m cool with losing perks and ordnance, but can we keep some AAs and Loadouts? I do enjoy being able to start with a CC and Jetpack.

> Split-screen?..With a single friend?..No wonder it felt slow to you…

LOL. He obviously didn’t play it on LIVE in its day.

Just wondering .I have been thinking about buying Halo 2 PC. Is it even worth buying now though ? Does everything still work ?

> I agree with you.
>
> However, your opinion will not be popular because people tend to idealize and romanticize positive experience from the past and irrationally judge things according to standard that isn’t even realistic. The game is not perfect. There are clear decisions that need to be made to improve it. The maps tend to biased to a certain team. Aim assist is a bit too much and I am no fan of bullet magnetism. However, the fundamental gameplay mechanics of Halo 4 multiplayer are, imo, the direction Halo needs to take. 343i did a good job for their flagship release. It was not flawless, but it was good – a lot better than most companies actually.

I agree that people tend to idealize and romanticize positive experience.
At the same time, people tend to idealize and romanticize “progress” and “visions” and “directions.”

You can keep making the same core game and tweak it a lot, or you could make dramatic and sweeping changes to the very essence of the game. Clearly, people like both of these strategies. Some like the same stuff over and over. Some people just want change for the sake of change.
I personally prefer very small changes to larger conceptual changes.

Like i usually add in my posts in threads of this nature, it is important for a games growth to change.I would have to agree a game cannot grow if all that is done is add a couple new weapons,enemies, and vehicles without have to change parts of the core gameplay after 10 years.I mean their are times when i wish i could go play halo 1 but online and exactly how it was, so what if 1 gun is OP (People failed to remember that in halo 1 the pistol used explosive rounds).

I like to also add that the reason i never cared for halo 3 was because i had played halo 2 for thousands of hours and im not exaggerating with that estimation either.To me Halo 3 was like a copy of halo 2 but with some added features, but the core gameplay barely changed.The thing about Halo 4 is when they said “it still feels like halo” is actually quite accurate.I played Halo 1(xbox version, yes i still have the one that i got in 2001) a couple days before the halo 4 midnight release and when i played halo 4.In the first couple minutes i was already used to the controls with 10 sensitivity, and that makes it still feel like halo.

Personal opinion is personal opinion and will always be countered with another.That is a base nature of being human.

> > Split-screen?..With a single friend?..No wonder it felt slow to you…
>
> LOL. He obviously didn’t play it on LIVE in its day.

And what’s wrong with that. Every weekend me and a group of buddies would have halo parties, because where I lived at you couldn’t get high speed Internet. In fact you still can’t get high speed Internet to this day. Plus you must not have played CE and herd your buddie rage throw a controller off the ground and bust it into tiny pieces.

Man I miss those days

> > I honestly think they just needed to add sprint to keep in fresh
> > get rid of aa, load outs, perks, and ordinance
>
> I’m cool with losing perks and ordnance, but can we keep some AAs and Loadouts? I do enjoy being able to start with a CC and Jetpack.

idk the reason i loved halo in the first place is everyone started with the same weapon thats why i hate loadouts it breaks that and so does AA
They need a Pure Classic Playlist
And a Mix Playlist (AA, sprint)

LOL, comparing a game in split-screen 1v1 to a xbox live 4v4 + multiplayer game? Good comparison op.

> > I agree with you.
> >
> > However, your opinion will not be popular because people tend to idealize and romanticize positive experience from the past and irrationally judge things according to standard that isn’t even realistic. The game is not perfect. There are clear decisions that need to be made to improve it. The maps tend to biased to a certain team. Aim assist is a bit too much and I am no fan of bullet magnetism. However, the fundamental gameplay mechanics of Halo 4 multiplayer are, imo, the direction Halo needs to take. 343i did a good job for their flagship release. It was not flawless, but it was good – a lot better than most companies actually.
>
> I agree that people tend to idealize and romanticize positive experience.
> At the same time, people tend to idealize and romanticize “progress” and “visions” and “directions.”
>
> You can keep making the same core game and tweak it a lot, or you could make dramatic and sweeping changes to the very essence of the game. Clearly, people like both of these strategies. Some like the same stuff over and over. Some people just want change for the sake of change.
> I personally prefer very small changes to larger conceptual changes.

Drastic changes can destroy a franchise.
Look at Splinter Cell for example. After Chaos Theory the multiplayer went to complete hell, and soon after the campaign for that franchise followed the same path.

To counter your opinion, this “fast-paced” and “action” you are referring to is part of the problem with the changes the series is experiencing. Take for example CoD (sorry but we have to bring it up). This series is filled with gimmicks to keep even the lowest player entertained. I could be horrible but I will still find fun in the loadouts, customizations, and so on. This type of system even allows the aforementioned player to pick up some kills while being out-skilled. I understand why the franchise is successful but I hate it.

I fell in love with Halo because the series ignored this need to overstimulate with crap and distractions. Everyone started a match on a level playing field, through teamwork you coordinated how to attack the other team, control power weapons, high ground, respawns, etc. and the better team would come out victorious. No BS, no load outs, no AA. The slow time you experienced was due to the fact that you were playing split screen with limited strategy. In the glory days of XBL, that time was used to survey the map for a weapon and initiate an attack. After the game your rank would change due to win/loss and you kept playing because you wanted to get better and rank up… not to unlock the next loadout option.

The formula was not broken and IMO perfect. Why break it from the days of CE - H3? Why try to compete with CoD when it has a completely different formula and take on FPS?

Just one man’s opinion. I sure miss H2; best of the franchise.

> > > Split-screen?..With a single friend?..No wonder it felt slow to you…
> >
> > LOL. He obviously didn’t play it on LIVE in its day.
>
> <mark>And what’s wrong with that.</mark> Every weekend me and a group of buddies would have halo parties, because where I lived at you couldn’t get high speed Internet. In fact you still can’t get high speed Internet to this day. Plus you must not have played CE and herd your buddie rage throw a controller off the ground and bust it into tiny pieces.
>
> Man I miss those days

No, I played many games of Halo:CE LAN when LIVE was in its infancy with 4 box’s and I still have them today.

What’s wrong with that? If you didn’t play games on LIVE with a decent amount of players and spend your time with a guest in 2 player on your console with a small 5 inch by 5 inch screen, your game will be slow and obviously that’s why his game is slow.

Anyone who played the game online will tell how great it was. The fact that you play offline with a friend gives you no right to compare it to playing ‘Halo 4’ online. His opinion is one sided and lacks as we can all see.

And no. My mates or ‘buddies’ don’t throw controllers at the floor. The games back then had no randomness and game breaking glitches to cause that unlike what we have today.

> > > > Split-screen?..With a single friend?..No wonder it felt slow to you…
> > >
> > > LOL. He obviously didn’t play it on LIVE in its day.
> >
> > <mark>And what’s wrong with that.</mark> Every weekend me and a group of buddies would have halo parties, because where I lived at you couldn’t get high speed Internet. In fact you still can’t get high speed Internet to this day. Plus you must not have played CE and herd your buddie rage throw a controller off the ground and bust it into tiny pieces.
> >
> > Man I miss those days
>
> No, I played many games of Halo:CE LAN when LIVE was in its infancy with 4 box’s and I still have them today.
>
> What’s wrong with that? If you didn’t play games on LIVE with a decent amount of players and spend your time with a guest in 2 player on your console with a small 5 inch by 5 inch screen, your game will be slow and obviously that’s why his game is slow.
>
> Anyone who played the game online will tell how great it was. The fact that you play offline with a friend gives you no right to compare it to playing ‘Halo 4’ online. His opinion is one sided and lacks as we can all see.
>
> And no. My mates or ‘buddies’ don’t throw controllers at the floor. <mark>The games back then had no randomness and game breaking glitches to cause that unlike what we have today.</mark>

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

someone didnt play h2 that much huh?

> > > > Split-screen?..With a single friend?..No wonder it felt slow to you…
> > >
> > > LOL. He obviously didn’t play it on LIVE in its day.
> >
> > <mark>And what’s wrong with that.</mark> Every weekend me and a group of buddies would have halo parties, because where I lived at you couldn’t get high speed Internet. In fact you still can’t get high speed Internet to this day. Plus you must not have played CE and herd your buddie rage throw a controller off the ground and bust it into tiny pieces.
> >
> > Man I miss those days
>
> No, I played many games of Halo:CE LAN when LIVE was in its infancy with 4 box’s and I still have them today.
>
> What’s wrong with that? If you didn’t play games on LIVE with a decent amount of players and spend your time with a guest in 2 player on your console with a small 5 inch by 5 inch screen, your game will be slow and obviously that’s why his game is slow.
>
> Anyone who played the game online will tell how great it was. The fact that you play offline with a friend gives you no right to compare it to playing ‘Halo 4’ online. His opinion is one sided and lacks as we can all see.
>
> And no. My mates or ‘buddies’ don’t throw controllers at the floor. The games back then had no randomness and game breaking glitches to cause that unlike what we have today.

You never made your friends rage throw a controller. For shame for shame. You sir need to try harder too piss off you friends when you play with them. My fondest moment ever in halo was when I made my buddy spike his Halo controller (the one that came with the halo xbox) off the ground because I stopped his game tying flag cap with 5sec left on the clock. It was marvelous.

*takes a moment to enjoy past *

Anyway yes it different but what you said is it was very important to have played online. When you could get the same experience with just 4 xboxs. I wasn’t defending his point more like showing that yours was invalid as well as its one sided. On a side note I also played H2 online. Sorry not arguing as I got to go to sleep. But have a good one and try harder to get your friends to rage throw a controller next time you have a LAN party.