I need to understand something about Chief

Why is his “upgraded” armor a downgrade? I remember when he first got his new armor in halo 2, and was able to duel wield, and was resistant to fall damage. I am also aware that despite having these thruster packs on his back since ce, he never used them ONCE until now. And what about his knife? Did you ever see him pick up a knife at the end of halo 3? Cause I sure as hell didn’t. Where the hell did he pick up a knife? Why would he even need a knife if melee has worked fine for him in the last three games?

And with the fall damage, how is it that Chief can survive a fall from the FUD’s orbit onto requiem, and can survive crashing into a space station with a Lich or get crushed by moving walls in a Broadsword without breaking a single bone, but when it comes down to jumping ten feet onto a platform, his legs crunch unless a jet pack or Cortana “saves him”. WTF?!?

If anyone knows why, please tell me. And not to sound mean or anything, but saying something like “well maybe it’s because…” is speculation and doesn’t really explain 343i’s motive behind it. It just really bothers me because a lot of these concepts should still be in halo 4 according to canon and its not. You would need a pretty bizarre and lengthy explanation to explain why chief’s new suit can’t do what his suit four years ago could do. I’m not really sure where 343i is going to go from here…

Discuss.

His armor had nothing to do with dual wielding, the halo wars spartans can do that too, 343 just chose to not allow you to do it and restricted your fall distance.

As for thrusters he has had since halo 2 and has never really needed them.

your making way too big a deal about this man. its just a game.

Game mechanics. Chief’s abilities in-game are restricted both to control the pace and balance of the gameplay, and to ensure that you travel along the intended path (by lining that path’s edges with cliffs, soft kill boundaries, and lethal falls).

Gameplay and story separation, facilitated by suspension of disbelief on our part.

> His armor had nothing to do with dual wielding, the halo wars spartans can do that too, 343 just chose to not allow you to do it and <mark>restricted your fall distance</mark>.
>
> As for thrusters he has had since halo 2 and has never really needed them.

Cheif didn’t take fall damage in halos 2-3 period. Why did he start again now? I’m looking at it from a canon perspective, not because 343i made him a reskined noble 6.

> Game mechanics. Chief’s abilities in-game are restricted both to control the pace and balance of the gameplay, and to <mark>ensure that you travel along the intended path (by lining that path’s edges with cliffs, soft kill boundaries, and lethal falls).</mark>
>
> Gameplay and story separation, facilitated by suspension of disbelief on our part.

Still, remember the freedom you had to roam in ce? And that was when he still had fall damage.

> > His armor had nothing to do with dual wielding, the halo wars spartans can do that too, 343 just chose to not allow you to do it and <mark>restricted your fall distance</mark>.
> >
> > As for thrusters he has had since halo 2 and has never really needed them.
>
> Cheif didn’t take fall damage in halos 2-3 period. Why did he start again now? I’m looking at it from a canon perspective, not because 343i made him a reskined noble 6.

Non-cannon canonical answer.

Reach and Requiem have a gravity that’s acceleration isn’t linear.

The Chiefs armour can only do ‘fall damage’ reductions based on linear gravity acceleration, such as on Earth and the Artificial Halo Rings.

> > > His armor had nothing to do with dual wielding, the halo wars spartans can do that too, 343 just chose to not allow you to do it and <mark>restricted your fall distance</mark>.
> > >
> > > As for thrusters he has had since halo 2 and has never really needed them.
> >
> > Cheif didn’t take fall damage in halos 2-3 period. Why did he start again now? I’m looking at it from a canon perspective, not because 343i made him a reskined noble 6.
>
> Non-cannon canonical answer.
>
> Reach and Requiem have a gravity that’s acceleration isn’t linear.
>
> The Chiefs armour can only do ‘fall damage’ reductions based on linear gravity acceleration, such as on Earth and the Artificial Halo Rings.

Now that’s more like it. But was that made up, or is that the actual explaination?

Isn’t it just because of gameplay reason?

In cannon it must be different.

> Now that’s more like it. But was that made up, or is that the actual explaination?

I just made that up, I doubt you will find an reason that will tie in with canon.

The real reason is to do with counter-play. Jet packs were introduced with Halo Reach and are still in Halo 4.

The idea of balance is that skills used by players are fun for both the player using the skill (in this case the jet packer) and the player on the receiving end of the skill.

In the case of jet-packs the punishment for gaining a height advantage over an opponent is that you are a more predictable target, and you suffer fall damage - meaning that an opponent will also seem to gain an advantage.

This is over simplified and there is a great deal more that goes into counter play.

Budget cuts.

They reached a fiscal ceiling, and went off the cliff at the time his armor needed upgrading. John’s luck ran out that day.

With Love,
Your Mom,
~AnonomissX~

> > Now that’s more like it. But was that made up, or is that the actual explaination?
>
> I just made that up, I doubt you will find an reason that will tie in with canon.
>
> The real reason is to do with counter-play. Jet packs were introduced with Halo Reach and are still in Halo 4.o
>
> The idea of balance is that skills used by players are fun for both the player using the skill (in this case the jet packer) and the player on the receiving end of the skill.
>
> In the case of jet-packs the punishment for gaining a height advantage over an opponent is that you are a more predictable target, and you suffer fall damage - meaning that an opponent will also seem to gain an advantage.
>
> This is over simplified and there is a great deal more that goes into counter play.

Well thanks for the response. I find it funny that 343i would focus more on MM canon, and then forget about details in campaign, where a majority of the canon comes from.

From a mechanical perspective, I figured the jet pack had something to do with fall damage, but then again even if you took it out to try and bring back fall damage resistance, you could make the argument that halo ce didn’t have one and simply keep fall damage in for the rest of the series (which IMO would be awful, but then again what can you do?)

Anyhow, thanks again.

> And what about his knife? Did you ever see him pick up a knife at the end of halo 3? Cause I sure as hell didn’t. Where the hell did he pick up a knife? Why would he even need a knife if melee has worked fine for him in the last three games?
>
> Discuss.

Regarding the knife, takedowns is done with the knife, or for Knights, using their own swords. So, based on the takedowns from Reach they just made the “thing” more “advanced” and it looks real nice. It’s logical for a Spartan to take down enemies silently on occasion and not blast through hords every time? In the H4 game we also see Chief use it to rescue himself from not going over cliffs and climbing the outside of ships.

My question is, why the late “upgrade” with this simple and almost natural equipment/weapon? Why didn’t Bungie add this? Logically, melee isn’t forceful enough to kill a shielded enemy. Hell, in real life, it’s pretty hard to beat a person to death with a single hit with the back of your gun/rifle over the head.