I need some tips.

I know this topic has probably come up repeatedly but I’m relatively new here but it kind of bothers me that my K/D ratio is 0.68. Is that typical, O.K., something to laugh at or what? I was really good when playing campaign and firefight by myself but I get walked all over by real human players online.

I’m not obsessed with it but I’d Like to improve my skills without getting too silly like using power weapons to kill individual people or learning secret tricks. I get about 7 kills per game I’d say and I get killed a whole lot. But what really bothers me I more often than not is I will have a guy nearly dead but then he’ll finish me off first or do something that kills me instantly even though I shot first.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

I was the same way, and I’m still no master at matchmaking, but I’ll help you out as much as possible. One thing I would NOT do, is play slayer to get better at it. If you’re looking for getting better at kills, start with other game types with different objectives, and use that to buff up your killing skills. Games such as invasion, CTF, Race(Pretty much just Rocket Race on MM), and Territories are good. Focus on going for the main objective, but go for the moderate weapons(DMR is pretty great) and find some unsuspecting enemies.

Other more specific tips would be; when you’re in a face-off with not much cover and your strongest weapon is a DMR, just aim for the head, move left, right, back and forth and jump a little, and constantly pull the trigger. You’ll only have about a 50/50 chance of killing them, but it’s better than nothing. Same goes for pretty much all other less-pwning weapons, but for automatic weapons use short, controlled bursts. Grenades can come in handy when you have an enemy near any kind of corner, whether they’re actually cornered or not. Just don’t get too close.

Hope this helps. Send me a friend request, and I’ll help you out.

Play things such as SWAT or team snipers, to try improving your aiming skills. It sounds to me like you are good at hitting the body and getting shields down, but you are having difficulty hitting the head. SWAT will help that.

Also try increasing your sensitivity, it can do wonders when you have an extra split second advantage on your opponent.

When playing firefight, try using different weapons than just the Rocket Launcher or FRG. Using a DMR or Sniper will help you hone in your accuracy while killing grunts.

Use grenades. If you can learn to accurately place grenades, then you really will only need one or two shots to finish people off.

hope this helps!

If you just want to inflate your kd, play the easy gametypes or just get tons of kills in objective.

If you actually want to get better, then keep playing slayer, until you improve. Then go into arena or mlg.

As for your first question, a 0.68 K/D is pretty bad. Some advice is try doing something you don’t normally do. For example, if you rush in a lot, try staying back more or vice versa. You could also try all the playlists/gametypes until you find one you really like or are really good at. (Personally, I’m really good at Multi Team and Elite Slayer.) You can also play Rumble Pit. Since it’s FFA, you’ll learn how to not rely on a team (which is helpful since you shouldn’t rely on randoms), and other useful skills.

One of the most important things to do would be to learn the maps. You don’t have to learn exactly when power weapons spawn (I don’t even know that), but it could help. Mostly just learn where weapons and vehicles spawn so you can get to them if you need to. Knowing the maps will probably do more for you than anything else.

I’ve been trying to get better too (I only have a 0.94 K/D, and I’m trying to get over 1.00), and this guy really helped me: Halo Reach Tutor. His videos have some really helpful tips. Hope this helps you out a bit. (Sorry if it’s a lot of information. This post ended up being longer than I expected it to be.)

When you see a person you think you can kill go for it. If he noticable has a power weapon keep you distance and flank him.

One of the biggest things I do is play with one friend that can tell me whats going on in the game.

Another thing is dont take the traditional routes on a map. Switch things up. If you take weird and unique routes you will add the element of surprise to you fights.

My last tip would be to play to your strenghts. Whatever gun is you best find ways to use it, Find ways to get it more, and finally use cover on everything if you arent good at positioning or long range

my k/d is 1.09 and i have a BPR of 58 where do i rate

> I know this topic has probably come up repeatedly but I’m relatively new here but it kind of bothers me that my K/D ratio is 0.68. Is that typical, O.K., something to laugh at or what? I was really good when playing campaign and firefight by myself but I get walked all over by real human players online.
>
> I’m not obsessed with it but I’d Like to improve my skills without getting too silly like using power weapons to kill individual people or learning secret tricks. I get about 7 kills per game I’d say and I get killed a whole lot. But what really bothers me I more often than not is I will have a guy nearly dead but then he’ll finish me off first or do something that kills me instantly even though I shot first.
>
> Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Girfball,Action Sack,BTB

Girfball:Simple to learn hard to master…You get lots of killz in a short amount of time.
Action Sack=Full of fun/crazy gametypes…just for fun
BTB:Vehicle heavy…You don’t need to be good at shottinga gun to get alot of kills

Well the K/D ratio number isn’t my real issue I just think I look stupid with the number of failures I have when I’m trying hard. I often feel like there is something I’m missing in my technique.

Whatever you’re doing now, stop and step back from that because it’s obviously not working.

Stay in Team Slayer, the only way you’re going to get better at slaying is by playing slayer gametypes where the main objective is slaying.

The DMR is probably the best gun in-game, but only if you’re very profficient at pulling off a 5 shot kill everytime. 5 shot kill is 4 to the body and 1 to the head. This is the best thing to learn first in increasing your DMR skill. Secondly would be pacing your shots if you keep missing that last headshot. DMR / Sniper in FF against Elites is great practice. If you can snipe a strafing Elite in the head with no problem, you’re good enough to snipe in MM. Same as DMR’n skirmishers.

In close quarter combat if you’re not that good with the DMR, use your AR to drop shields and then switch to your Pistol or DMR for that last headshot.
The Magnum is also a 5 shot kill.

Map knowledge is also key. Knowing map weapon locations, spawns, weapon respawn times, player spawns, camping spots, etc. And playing with friends, communicating enemy positions, who’s weak, and where can make a real difference. It mind sound noobish, but killing with a Rocket launcher is better than being killed by it. Weapon control is another key to stay on the killing side of situations.

Pay attention to your teammates player indicator arrow. When your teammates arrow is glowing orange it means they are shooting their weapon, another means of telling where an enemy location is. Try to stay in pairs. Two guns on one enemy is always better.

Know what weapon to use in certain situations. Running and gunning is not always a good strategy.

I could go on, hope this helps.
A good headset is nice to have too. For those sneaky people trying to sneak up behind you.

You have to be wise and “pick your kills”. It’s tempting to see someone, and immediately just chase them. Try to out smart your opponents.

Grenading is very important, once you get more familiar with the maps, you will know where people come from. Practice grenading these spots.

Get good with the Pistol/DMR. Play custom games with friends.

Multi-Team is a good playlist to play around in. There’s alot going on, so people won’t typically single you out to attack!

just keep practicing when i started i sucked but i got good and my kd went up

> Play things such as SWAT or team snipers, to try improving your aiming skills. It sounds to me like you are good at hitting the body and getting shields down, but you are having difficulty hitting the head. SWAT will help that.
>
> <mark>Also try increasing your sensitivity, it can do wonders when you have an extra split second advantage on your opponent.</mark>
>
> When playing firefight, try using different weapons than just the Rocket Launcher or FRG. Using a DMR or Sniper will help you hone in your accuracy while killing grunts.
>
> Use grenades. If you can learn to accurately place grenades, then you really will only need one or two shots to finish people off.
>
> hope this helps!

I tried this yesterday and it worked wonders for me in Team Slayer. I had my sensitivity set at 5 and I gradually crept it up to 8 and now I’m doing a lot better with everything but especially the DMR, Magnum, and shotgun! this alone is helping me get about 3 or 4 more kills per game. My kills are still ranging from about 3 to 10 per game, pretty wide margin, but but it’s a lot quicker to aim the weapons now.

I know I should have thought of this setting myself but that’s the way I am, I often miss the obvious things to try in my games.