I need a succesful build strategy.

I am having difficulty finding a good starting build strategy. I usually get rushed and can’t defend because my eco stinks. I usually play each leader evenly (they are all loads of fun). Here’s what I usually do.

For Arby/Brute I go W (warehouse), T (temple), W, W, Fiendish/Chieftan stun upgrade thats name escapes me and then get veterancy. Then I upgrade my base, build a unit producer depending on what they are making and a shield.
For Prophet: T, take out a rebel base, W, W, W, W, Blessed Immo and the same as above after that.

UNSC:
Anders: SP (Supply Pad), 2 Hogs, R (Reactor), Upgrade Hogs and collect resources/capture hooks, SP, SP, upgrade SPs, SP and upgrade it, Fortress, Barracks, Spartan squad, R.

Cutter: SP, Hog, SP, SP, R, Upgrade SPs, barracks, Spartan squad, SP and upgrade, Reactor.

Forge: HSP (Heavy Supply Pad), send Hog to get at least two resouce bundles, Fortress, HSP, HSP, HSP, R, barracks, Spartans, Reactor.

I always use the Spartans to capture a base and then get tanks. And yes, I get Grizzly as Forge.

BTW this is my first post!!!

Send me your Gt and ill tutor you, in 1s getting veterancy is a big mistake since it takes so long in any high level game. You need to go for hook control (i.e Forerunner Supply elevators) as these give you massive eco boosts and reactors gains and are quite easy to clear out. When you come across different leaders you should modify your build accordingly to counter what they can do.

2s and 3s comes down to your teammates aswell as yourself so is a lot more complex and is better for beginners. Btw you should not go Grizzly’s since the 1800 resources is not even worth it since PT tanks are stronger (big mistake that has never been fixed). Make sure you are fast too by the end of the day the aim of the game is to destroy your opponents base. Most people are not just going to let you sit back and build up and would rather apply early pressure to win the game quickly.

In conclusion forget about getting Veterancy and strive for hook control, scout and keep building on your base fluently. There is no build that works perfectly against all other leaders/combo’s. My Gt is cbenson1 message for some help if you wish.

I’m not the most experienced when it comes to this game, but I will say this:
1)Play Anders. Normally I wouldn’t, but it is specific to this strategy.
2)The very second the game starts, build a single SP and cue up two Hogs.
3)Send your first Hog to collect supplies on their side of the map.
4)Build up another SP and a reactor.
5)Send your second and third Hogs to get more supplies (Do NOT go in view of their base).
6)Sit on your money and start a second reactor.
7)Research Gunner before it gets up.
8)Get Grenadier as soon as possible after.
9)Cue up two more hogs.
10)As soon as you have 5 Hogs, begin your attack.
-The purpose of the attack is to cripple your opponent’s economy.
-When attacking, focus on SPs and whatever is being built at the time.
-Be sure to Micro Manage, against ALL leaders. The best is when they try to use a leader power and waste the last of their resources on a failed kill.
11)While your hogs attack, cue up 2 more hogs. Set your rally point at at their base.
12)Build up a Depo and produce tanks as soon as you can.
13)As your Hogs die (or they resign), upgrade your SPs.
14)As soon as you have 3 tanks, move in again and do the same.

The rest is up to you. Make sure, though that they are always REACTING to YOU, you should never have to play defense. Keep in mind, this strategy takes practice. All these steps are also VERY sequential. Attack too early, you won’t damage them. Attack too late, well, you will find tanks out. Another important point: Do not wait to long to launch attacks. NEVER assume that they are weaker than you.

I give credit for this strategy to Diablo Soul. I made a few changes so that your rush isn’t to hardcore or a bit of a cheese.

This strategy will NOT work in anything but 1v1, because of a team’s ability to coordinate and easily repel small attacks like these.

Send me a message and friend request for more 1v1 strategy/any questions you may have. My gamertag is my username on this forum.

Sorry for my belated response. I went on vacation. :stuck_out_tongue:

First off, I am not a rushing n00b like some people are. Second, Grizzlies don’t stink, you just stink at using them. If you know you are going to go against PT tanks then use anti-vehicle/vultures.

I also didn’t get a good (non-rushing n00b) build yet.

BTW my parents wouldn’t want me to start talking to random strangers on Xbox. I can’t friend either of you. :frowning:

First off, PT is greater than Grizzly so yes grizzlies stink. Why would you pay 1800 resources for a unit to become worse? Second, calling someone a noob because they rush and you can’t stop it doesn’t make any sense. It’s a strategy like any other, if the game was meant to have no rushing there would be a wall in the middle of the map that you couldn’t pass through until a certain point in the game.

If I am going to go against PT tanks going vultures/anti-vehicle is about the last thing I want to do. Cobras are slow as heel and are only worth a -Yoink- if you lock them down which makes them even harder to use in a fight. As for vultures… really? A 900 resource unit that requires 4 tech levels takes a minute to build moves only a little faster than most infantry squads and dies as soon as it gets shot at, and that’s what you want me to build? Just because it’s called an “uber unit” doesn’t mean anything.

How are Grizzlies worse? They do fail Grizzly VS PT but other than that they are better. More armor, an extra star and twice the firepower of the main gun. You do not know how to use Grizzly or Vultures correctly, do you? You only want three Sprizzlies, get veterancy, then use them as a shock unit. Vultures are actually anti-everything. Anti-air missile pods on the back, Anti-everything barrage and ultimate main cannons. Use them as an artillery unit and have your Grizzlies soak up damage.

As for rushing, yes, it is a n00bish thing to do. It is way OP and people who cannot do good in the late game or mid game decide to do the easy thing. Also, I can beat very strong rushes.

In games above 35 ts you aren’t going to be fighting anything else with your grizzlies besides PT tanks. Hogs are about the only other thing, but PT kills gauss so easily who cares if grizzlies are a little bit better? As far as vultures go, stop having these delusions. Fine use them as an “artillery” unit ( even though the only thing in this game that comes close to that is cobras/locusts which both suck) while you’re trying to pick my base off from afar allow my 6 stasis drain vampires to destroy your entire army of vultures. Vultures are good for one thing, breaking stalemates, and even then it’s still risky because you’re effectively sacrificing them into a base and hoping that you are able to defend their counter push. Not to mention if my vamps are quick enough you will not get that base kill so then you are completely screwed. Also, yes they do a lot of damage, but only when they’re alive but since they’re health makes them seem as if they’re made of paper it’s still a very negligible amount of damage since they only live for about 3-4 seconds in a fight. Grizzlies aren’t going to soak up damage, especially if I have anti-air. Without anti-air I’ll target down your vultures first and in about 20 seconds after I kill all 5 of them I’ll focus on your worthless grizzlies.

As for fending off a rush… congrats, would you like a cookie? Nobody good rushes you to end the game, they rush to try and cripple as much as they can for as little money as possible. For example if I send my chieftain and a few brutes at your base, my goal isn’t to win right there. If I can then great but I’m not planning on it. I just want to kill as many supply pads as I can, and by the way you sound you’re the guy who builds a bunch of flamers just to push me off. This does nothing but push me even farther ahead because now I have not only delayed buildings but I’ve made you throw up a barracks and waste 500+ resources on a unit that is completely worthless by mid-game.

Continue debating this as much as you want, but the fact remains that vultures and grizzlies are bad units, vultures are bad to the point of being on par with locusts. Frankly they are very similar units, low health but do a lot of damage in the short time they’re alive, but since they die so quickly it’s still less than most other units. If you honestly think what you’re saying is true that I don’t know how to use vultures or I don’t know how to use grizzlies, even when there’s no reason to make ways for them to be used since they are such bad units, add me on xbox GT is the same as on here. I would be happy to 1v1 and I will stomp all of your vultures and grizzlies into the ground, to show you how bad they are. If it makes you more comfortable, 1v1 is my worst playlist.

> Sorry for my belated response. I went on vacation. :stuck_out_tongue:
>
> First off, I am not a rushing n00b like some people are. Second, Grizzlies don’t stink, you just stink at using them. If you know you are going to go against PT tanks then use anti-vehicle/vultures.
>
> I also didn’t get a good (non-rushing n00b) build yet.
>
> BTW my parents wouldn’t want me to start talking to random strangers on Xbox. I can’t friend either of you. :frowning:

There’s no helping you then. The fact you spell noob with zero’s instead of o’s speaks volumes by itself. There is nothing newbie about rushing. You play to win the game and rushing is a viable tactic in any RTS. If you don’t like it don’t play Anders and go Cutter or Forge for the stronger mid game or better booming. And go youtube Halo Wars mythbusters. It’s been proven that PT tanks are stronger because for some reason or bug, their canister shell is stronger or Grizzly canister is weaker. Grizzlies only have more HP.

Grizzlies regular attacks also do slightly more damage, not double the damage like some people believe, but still more. Their health is quite a bit higher too, which actually makes them better for fighting cobras and several other units. Unfortunately their are inferior in the one situation that it counts, and that is tank fights.

By the way Helios, after seeing different posts of yours you seem to be one of the few people on waypoint who has a clue. I’m looking for someone to play 2s with and am willing to teach someone, but would definitely prefer to have someone who has a basic knowledge so that I’m not starting from scratch. If you’re interested send me a FR and as long as you don’t build hornets/flamers then try to switch into spartan tanks at 10 minutes you’ll do better than others.

If you think Grizzlies/Vultures suck, then play with my friend. He uses Grizzlies/Vultures at 45 TS and whoops everyone in 1v1. As for rushing, if it can be countered than your opponent can just counter rush and smash you. I will ask my friend if he wants to play either of you. Also wolves counter vampires, Grizzly can defeat wolves.

Btw, can I get a midgame attack build for any leader? I just don’t rush. I don’t like it. :stuck_out_tongue:

> > Sorry for my belated response. I went on vacation. :stuck_out_tongue:
> >
> > First off, I am not a rushing n00b like some people are. Second, Grizzlies don’t stink, you just stink at using them. If you know you are going to go against PT tanks then use anti-vehicle/vultures.
> >
> > I also didn’t get a good (non-rushing n00b) build yet.
> >
> > BTW my parents wouldn’t want me to start talking to random strangers on Xbox. I can’t friend either of you. :frowning:
>
> There’s no helping you then. The fact you spell noob with zero’s instead of o’s speaks volumes by itself. There is nothing newbie about rushing. You play to win the game and rushing is a viable tactic in any RTS. If you don’t like it don’t play Anders and go Cutter or Forge for the stronger mid game or better booming. And go youtube Halo Wars mythbusters. It’s been proven that PT tanks are stronger because for some reason or bug, their canister shell is stronger or Grizzly canister is weaker. Grizzlies only have more HP.

I saw all those videos. I go PT to counter Grizzly BTW. Just because it loses to PT doesn’t make it worse against everything else. Its Canister is also anti-infantry. It can beat Wraiths, Locusts, Infantry, it is better against air because of the extra health, better anti-scarab and better anti-cobra. It is worse anti-covie leader because of the canny.

> If you think Grizzlies/Vultures suck, then play with my friend. He uses Grizzlies/Vultures at 45 TS and whoops everyone in 1v1. As for rushing, if it can be countered than your opponent can just counter rush and smash you. I will ask my friend if he wants to play either of you. Also wolves counter vampires, Grizzly can defeat wolves.
>
> Btw, can I get a midgame attack build for any leader? I just don’t rush. I don’t like it. :stuck_out_tongue:

What is your friend’s GT? Also just because he has 45 TS doesn’t mean squat. I’m at 40 TS in 2s and I win 95% of the games I play in 2s but hat isn’t everyone. Anyone who knows what they’re doing will win 80% or more of their games usually without even trying. TS is only accurate to an extent as well, just because someone has higher TS than someone else doesn’t mean they are better. Prime example I know a guy who is over 100 spots above me on 2v2 right now, yet he has never beaten me in 2v2 in all the times we have played each other. The only time he ever feels comfortable even challenging me is when he has someone who is immensely better than either of us. The fact that I lost over 120 spots in a week due to lag outs is a large part of this. Even with those 120 spots there are people who would still be above me that I am positive on.

As far as a build order goes, there are no build orders that perform well on all maps, period. As any UNSC you have to go barracks at some point on pirth/gulch/chasms or you lose, but on release or tundra going barracks can cost you the game and that’s just one thing you have to take into account among many. As covenant build order is usually less complex, with the only variations being when you go temple, if you build an early hall or if you need to build a turret or two.

If your friend truly does use grizzlies/vultures regularly in 1s as a 45 ts then he isn’t playing against anyone good. The only way someone good uses those units is if they are just that much better than their opponent and they’re looking for a laugh. Because that’s all vultures are is a joke unit, they are not good in the slightest, against anybody good you might not even get a vulture. As far as wolves beating vultures I am aware of this, but if you have 3 vultures (18 pop) I can easily kill that with 6 vamps (12 pop). At best you have 6 wolves and I still have 28 pop that I can fill with hunters or maybe even more vamps. You can’t counter my vamps because so much of your army is invested into vultures.

> > > Sorry for my belated response. I went on vacation. :stuck_out_tongue:
> > >
> > > First off, I am not a rushing n00b like some people are. Second, Grizzlies don’t stink, you just stink at using them. If you know you are going to go against PT tanks then use anti-vehicle/vultures.
> > >
> > > I also didn’t get a good (non-rushing n00b) build yet.
> > >
> > > BTW my parents wouldn’t want me to start talking to random strangers on Xbox. I can’t friend either of you. :frowning:
> >
> > There’s no helping you then. The fact you spell noob with zero’s instead of o’s speaks volumes by itself. There is nothing newbie about rushing. You play to win the game and rushing is a viable tactic in any RTS. If you don’t like it don’t play Anders and go Cutter or Forge for the stronger mid game or better booming. And go youtube Halo Wars mythbusters. It’s been proven that PT tanks are stronger because for some reason or bug, their canister shell is stronger or Grizzly canister is weaker. Grizzlies only have more HP.
>
> I saw all those videos. I go PT to counter Grizzly BTW. Just because it loses to PT doesn’t make it worse against everything else. Its Canister is also anti-infantry. It can beat Wraiths, Locusts, Infantry, it is better against air because of the extra health, better anti-scarab and better anti-cobra. It is worse anti-covie leader because of the canny.

Infantry is garbage to begin with past 7 minutes, and even then power turret is still better than grizzlies against infantry as well as wraiths and locusts. Tanks are never “good” against air, grizzlies are slightly less worse becuase of their health yes, but that isn’t going to let them take on a bunch of banshees just because of a little extra health. Cobras, yes grizzlty is better against, but that’s exactly the point. You have come up with one unit that grizzly wins and performs better against. We’re not saying grizzlies can’t beat those units, but PT is even better against those units, so why would we spend an extra 1800 and be forced to use Forge for a unit that performs worse in almost every fight?