i need a ranking system

I have been playing halo for several years now, and have really enjoyed halo’s unique competitive nature. I started playing in halo 2 when my friend invited me over to see his “new hobby”. He set me up with my own live account and let me use his spare xbox. After playing just a few games of team slayer and seeing my rank rise, I felt a strong attraction to the game. I found myself over there every weekend for a year playing nonstop. Soon enough i realized i was addicted to the game and its unique ranking system. To have this system taken away has really reduced the games image in my eyes, and i know i am not the only one. Every single person I have discussed this issue with agrees. There are several players that have quit playing halo reach for this reason; however, how many of the social fanatics would have quit because there was a ranking system? The answer would be none. Many of these players can be brought back by establishing a ranking system in Halo 4. Halo would be able to reclaim its former glory as the number 1 competitive video game. There is absolutely no reason on why this shouldn’t be done. After all, who doesn’t love the feeling of winning a matchmaking game and knowing you have the chance that when you back out of the post game lobby that 49 next to your name could be replaced with a nice prestigious 50. Not only does it feel great to have one, but it lets others know that that player is a top dog. He has reached the highest rank and has battled some of the best. Please bring back the ranking system. To some of us it just isn’t halo without it.

nice thread. Many others feel the same way.

I really hope they bring back 1-50

> Soon enough i realized i was addicted to the game

Since when do we start thinking of addiction in good terms?

> and its unique ranking system. To have this system taken away has really reduced the games image in my eyes,

Know what killed H3 for me?

H3: Hey! This is your rank!
Me: Oh boy! I like this! I’m going to keep playing to get my rank up higher!

six months later

Me: WTF H3! My rank isn’t going any higher! What gives!
H3: Tee-hee, I’m such a tease, you can’t rank up until you get better at the game.
Me: Whatever, I’m out of here.

> however, how many of the social fanatics would have quit because there was a ranking system? The answer would be none.

Assumption.

I stopped playing H3 because of it’s ranking system and how it gave me nothing to do because it blue balled me.

> Halo would be able to reclaim its former glory as the number 1 competitive video game.

Lord no.

> There is absolutely no reason on why this shouldn’t be done.

I can think of several.

> After all, who doesn’t love the feeling of winning a matchmaking game and knowing you have the chance that when you back out of the post game lobby that 49 next to your name could be replaced with a nice prestigious 50.

And that’s great, for the small percent of the population that actually could get 50s.

> He has reached the highest rank and has battled some of the best.

Or it’s his second account and he managed to slingshot his way into 50 before he started facing some real competition and thus he stopped playing on it to preserve that rank for all time.

Not to mention that there was still a skill gap between bad 50s and the actual good 50s.

I agree completely with this post. The reason they eliminated this system is because of boosting and derankers. In my opinion however, the ranking system is a necessity and also they should remove quitting as an option from ranked playlists and have a quit and filled in by another guy type thing for social like in Gears. In my opinion that system is the best possible

>

You really need to stop ignoring all the benefits of a skill based ranking system just because in Halo 3 it was tied to your progression rank.

And, apparently, the only reason you played H3 was for rank, so when you were locked out because of your skill you developed a deep animosity for that game/ranking system.

> Know what killed H3 for me?
>
> H3: Hey! This is your rank!
> Me: Oh boy! I like this! I’m going to keep playing to get my rank up higher!
>
> six months later
>
> Me: WTF H3! My rank isn’t going any higher! What gives!
> H3: Tee-hee, I’m such a tease, you can’t rank up until you get better at the game.
> Me: Whatever, I’m out of here.

So… You dislike a trueskill rank because… Low and behold, it displays your skill?

1-50 skill system will help the games life span significantly

> 1-50 skill system will help the games life span significantly

> > Soon enough i realized i was addicted to the game
>
> Since when do we start thinking of addiction in good terms?
>
> HURQ: Just a word to describe my love for the game.
>
>
>
> > and its unique ranking system. To have this system taken away has really reduced the games image in my eyes,
>
> Know what killed H3 for me?
>
> HURQ: Your lack of skill?
>
> H3: Hey! This is your rank!
> Me: Oh boy! I like this! I’m going to keep playing to get my rank up higher!
>
> six months later
>
> Me: WTF H3! My rank isn’t going any higher! What gives!
> H3: Tee-hee, I’m such a tease, you can’t rank up until you get better at the game.
> Me: Whatever, I’m out of here.
>
> HURQ: Most likely referring to level lock, and i agree that was a problem
>
>
>
> > however, how many of the social fanatics would have quit because there was a ranking system? The answer would be none.
>
> Assumption.
>
> HURQ: Not quite, if they quit because of the presence of a ranking system it is pointless. It doesn’t affect them in any way, they don’t have to play with ranks, versus people like me having to play social on reach.
>
> I stopped playing H3 because of it’s ranking system and how it gave me nothing to do because it blue balled me.
>
>
>
> > Halo would be able to reclaim its former glory as the number 1 competitive video game.
>
> Lord no.
>
> HURQ: Actually yes, MLG is the leading competitive video gaming organization currently, and Halo was their favorite until reach.
>
>
>
> > There is absolutely no reason on why this shouldn’t be done.
>
> I can think of several.
>
> HURQ: The pros outweigh the cons
>
>
>
> > After all, who doesn’t love the feeling of winning a matchmaking game and knowing you have the chance that when you back out of the post game lobby that 49 next to your name could be replaced with a nice prestigious 50.
>
> And that’s great, for the small percent of the population that actually could get 50s.
>
> HURQ: Its only an example, any rank-up gives the same basic feeling. Its good and its impossible to deny it.
>
>
>
> > He has reached the highest rank and has battled some of the best.
>
> Or it’s his second account and he managed to slingshot his way into 50 before he started facing some real competition and thus he stopped playing on it to preserve that rank for all time.
>
> HURQ: I know from experience that depending on the playlist a player is going to play some challenging kids on their way to a 50. There is no easy route. Unless they buy the account.
>
> Not to mention that there was still a skill gap between bad 50s and the actual good 50s.

HURQ: Agreed; however, 50s are usually better than lower ranks. Or else they wouldn’t be 50s.

i don’t really know how to quote… :frowning:

> You really need to stop ignoring all the benefits of a skill based ranking system just because in Halo 3 it was tied to your progression rank.

If players want to have a skill based ranking system, that’s fine.

Just give all the players that can’t get a 50 something to do.

And before you chim in with how H3 had EXP ranks, those were TU’d in and were the red headed step child of H3 in the same way that Arena ranks are the red headed stepchild of Reach.

> And, apparently, the only reason you played H3 was for rank, so when you were locked out because of your skill you developed a deep animosity for that game/ranking system.

I played for fun for a while, but that fun eventually waned until only the desire for that 50 was left. When I finally hit the wall and crashed I just stopped playing H3 completely for having felt betrayed and lied to.

> So… You dislike a trueskill rank because… Low and behold, it displays your skill?

I disliked H3’s style or ranking not because I was told my skill, but because it was viewed by everyone as a progression system. The problem lies in that fact that it was viewed as a progression system. Since it being based on your skill that meant that at a certain point, large portions of the population would never be able to progress in it.