I’m aware I’m part of the issue with the store but I just can’t help it

I’ll be honest. I’m partly the targeted audience. I’m not a whale, but I do have severe ADHD among other issues and the way the shop is set up, is to put the screw to people like me, people with mental illness, and of course the Whales. The fact that it’s FOMO makes the problem even worse. You see, the Yoroi core is my favorite core, even out of all the leaked ones. So I bought the daily for it each day since I had some credits left over after buying the pass. I told myself I wouldn’t be taken advantage of and that I wouldn’t buy the more expensive items. I told myself I wouldn’t buy the red they sold back to us. I guess I kept telling myself lies as I ended up buying every store bundle for the Yoroi. As much as I love the core, I can’t even use what I bought for it because it brings me great shame that I even did so. The worst part is I’ll do it again next time the event comes around. I hate myself for all this. I realize I’m part of the issue but I just, I just can’t help it. I’m part of the reason why the shop prices won’t go down. I know the pricing is way too high, believe me. I got digital blood on my hands and I feel guilt ridden.

I expect death threats and doxxings to come my way after admitting to this, and if they do so be it. I deserve it for caving in.

5 Likes

Mate it sounds like you have some kind of MTX addiction that you should talk to a professional about. Also the whole self-deprecation thing is a bit over the top IMO.

I feel for you with the ADHD thing man but the best I can tell you is to try to make lifestyle changes if the impulse buying is an issue that you feel requires correcting. Best of luck.

4 Likes

That’s the thing. I don’t. MTX don’t really phase me. Nor does lootboxes. But I just. I screwed up big. I made things worse for other people and I don’t like it. I never once went in the red buying MTX, but this is the first time I feel so dirty and guilt ridden buying some.

2 Likes

You sound like you need some therapy friend, and I don’t mean that in a negative attacking way. If you lack self-control to refrain from digital purchases that you are self-aware of, then maybe you need to talk to someone. I’m also not a doctor, but you might also want to check on your medication (if you are taking any for ADHD). I know some people who have similar disorders and often need their dosage tweaked to get the best results.

7 Likes

This is a much better way of putting it than I did.

2 Likes

Don’t overthink it friend. We all have had post spending clarity.
Most people won’t hold it against you, and any that do aren’t worth worrying about as it really is no ones business how you spend your money.
I would definitely try and figure out a way to manage those impulses but try not to beat yourself up over the MTX, and try to allow yourself to enjoy what you purchased.
I would have a hard time resisting the Reach Mark V helmet if it was on the store front. It’s all designed this way intentionally.

3 Likes

Don’t feel too bad. If you like a company, you like items, and you want to support the developers, there’s nothing wrong with buying things for those reasons.

You’re absolutely right that this model is built to screw with people who have ADHD. It’s a lot like the shop setups in a lot of tencent games. Hopefully re-structuring and removing a lot of this shop stuff will fix that. I have a shred of faith left in 343 that they’ll figure it out. But if you’re having a hard time with impulses and this game is affecting you negatively because of it, you may need to find something else to fixate on for now.

Right now is also a stressful time of year for a lot of people, and especially for spectrum/ADHD folks, mania can be a problem. The current business model could be described as predatory, and external things outside of the game might be contributing to your situation.

we appreciate you for talking to us about this though, this is something that’s not often talked about when it comes to games and how they affect people. I wish developers and publishers would be more aware.

2 Likes

Others kind of hit the point.

Don’t feel bad for buying things. (There is a difference in buying something you can enjoy vs buying things to make people mad.) No one should be mad at you for buying things, I think we all would if we could. You enjoy it, and that’s cool.
A lot of us might be p’ed off, but honestly we don’t target each other unless provoked, and even then we try to hold that in.

(Now if you do have a problem, and if you personally begin to see it then do what you think is right. If you need help, get help don’t be ashamed. Especially don’t let me or anyone make you think you have an issue. I too have ADHD)

Saying all that, if one enjoys the game good, spread positivity. I don’t think most of us care if someone enjoys it, what we care about is honesty (and integrity in a whole tbh).

People feel betrayed because we have dealt with lack of content and monetization before. This is 2021, Halo at this point should be filled with different playlists and maps. We shouldn’t have to question “where is Slayer, where is Swat, where is Infection?” We especially shouldn’t be having the monetization fight again. (Looks at Halo 5)

Anyways enjoy the game.

1 Like

It’s not that the game is affecting me negatively to where I barely have money to buy things I need. What’s affecting me negatively is me feeling guilty for buying microtransactions. I’ve never felt this guilty before. I bought the Red Shift power armor in FO76 simply because it looks like a Zaku, and I didn’t feel guilty. I still use it. I’ve bought hats in Team Fortress 2, never felt guilty about that. Hell, hats I’ve made have been added to TF2, and that’s the money I use to spend freely. But this is the first time I’ve felt absolute guilt and shame in buying microtransactions I wanted simply due to the prices, the fandom climate, and more. And like you said, it doesn’t help matters at all with how the shop is designed. Nothing is there permanently. It’s all on rotation.

1 Like

I have yet to buy a full set of armor but I will buy those dear antler or tree branch looking yoroi helmet instantly.

I be laughing at people during the intro when I see they have on a skin purchased from the store.

3 Likes

The monetization has been implemented poorly in several ways. It is predatory IMO and also very obviously so.
You don’t feel good about it, and several people have echoed this sentiment.
I was very close to just paying for the Reach BP myself.
I don’t know how to describe it really, but you aren’t alone feeling that way.

1 Like

I also have ADHD, and I have also bought some things so far. It is indeed targeted at that demographic.

1 Like

I have poor impulse control about things I enjoy. I have been playing Halo since CE, have bought at least one Master Chief/Spartan/Elite figure from each game release, usually more than 1 though.
It being free makes it easy to try and justify buying the macrotransactions. I almost did.

1 Like

I mean, I don’t think anyone is gonna send you death threats. I will say to just show some self control man. I been down this road with Apex, but you really aren’t getting what you pay for here.

Why I wouldn’t expect somebody who has regularly stolen other submissions on the community workshop for personal gain to be “all there” so to speak, this is just stupid. Get a hold of yourself Vipes, or I’ll tell our special friend from the general what you’ve been up to with Mr. Newell’s paychecks.

A hard post to read but I appreciate the honesty. Hopefully 343 sees posts like this and it helps to influence change. Unfortunately it’s already common knowledge how manipulative monetisation is in games and it’s already years-past since it became commonplace.

Battlefront II set a precedent not in how egregious it’s monetisation was but in how it proved if a fan base can push back enough they can force a corporation’s hand. I think that’s why some Halo fans are going so hard and toxic because they think the louder and nastier they are the more likely the game will be changed, this is a disgusting mindset to have. What makes it worse is that the majority of hardcore Halo fans are either in their late 20s or early 30s but acting like 12 year olds who’ve discovered Internet forums for the first time.

I’ve never once stolen someone’s submissions. What are you on about.

Since you are thinking in the somewhat right direction, I will offer a friendly reminder that wasn’t just other submissions you stole, you practically couldn’t look at a piece of media without trying to figure out what you rip from it to churn out onto the workshop. Had to edit the links for the post but it shouldn’t be too hard to figure out on your own, I hope.

• steamcommunity[dotcom]/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=658491071 - From another TF2 workshop item, even stole the name steamcommunity[dotcom]/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1415970773
  • steamcommunity[dotcom]/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1179841369 - From another TF2 workshop item steamcommunity[dotcom]/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1442545227
  • steamcommunity[dotcom]/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1427505193 - From another TF2 workshop item steamcommunity[dotcom]/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1423083763
  • steamcommunity[dotcom]/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1506545983 - From another TF2 workshop weapon skin steamcommunity[dotcom]/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1299820687
  • steamcommunity[dotcom]/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1582801700 - From an accepted TF2 workshop item, even same breed of dog steamcommunity[dotcom]/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1227144704
  • steamcommunity[dotcom]/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1179399767 - From the TF2 map Carnival of Carnage
  • steamcommunity[dotcom]/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1179554348 - From the TF2 map Mann Manor (Not Forgotten)
  • steamcommunity[dotcom]/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1180181496 - From TF2’s Mann Vs Machine Tank/Bomb Carrier
  • steamcommunity[dotcom]/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1577291882 - From another TF2 workshop item, even copied the name steamcommunity[dotcom]/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1578667772
  • steamcommunity[dotcom]/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1232921120 - From another TF2 workshop item steamcommunity[dotcom]/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1581365734
  • steamcommunity[dotcom]/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=500841902 - From an accepted TF2 weapon skin (Not Forgotten) steamcommunity[dotcom]/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1459711387
  • steamcommunity[dotcom]/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1534995052 - From another TF2 workshop item steamcommunity[dotcom]/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1528645783
  • steamcommunity[dotcom]/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1534997454 - From an accepted TF2 item wiki.teamfortress[dotcom]/wiki/Grimm_Hatte
  • steamcommunity[dotcom]/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1518845113 - From an accepted TF2 item steamcommunity[dotcom]/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=209836253
  • steamcommunity[dotcom]/workshop/filedetails/?id=1140530502 - From a videogame series called Deus Ex
  • steamcommunity[dotcom]/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=502392819 - From a videogame called Blacklight: Retribution
  • steamcommunity[dotcom]/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=869547953 - From a TF2 workshop item. It was known for years that Drew had a concept of this, and then suddenly Vipes’ pop up. steamcommunity[dotcom]/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1525309565
  • steamcommunity[dotcom]/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=502715394 - From a TF2 weaponskin called Star Crossed
  • steamcommunity[dotcom]/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1395260019 - From another TF2 taunt on the workshop steamcommunity[dotcom]/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1383217092
  • steamcommunity[dotcom]/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=505343638 - From a videogame called Borderlands
  • steamcommunity[dotcom]/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=814843612 - From a TF2 weapon called Wrap Assassin
  • steamcommunity[dotcom]/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=815190227 - From a TF2 unusual called Outrun Sunset
  • steamcommunity[dotcom]/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=862814427 - From a TF2 weaponskin called Bamboo Brushed
  • steamcommunity[dotcom]/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=869547953 - From two TF2 workshop items steamcommunity[dotcom]/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=164823429 and steamcommunity[dotcom]/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=526743165
  • steamcommunity[dotcom]/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=869549732 - From two TF2 workshop items steamcommunity[dotcom]/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=526744130 and steamcommunity[dotcom]/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=527437555
  • steamcommunity[dotcom]/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=869550954 - From a TF2 workshop item steamcommunity[dotcom]/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=526743669
  • steamcommunity[dotcom]/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=919553148 - From a show called LEGO NEXO KNIGHTS
  • steamcommunity[dotcom]/workshop/filedetails/?id=955674856 - From a Deviantart Image i.pinimg[dotcom]/originals/9d/69/ac/9d69ac04291b39e9c06c9107490a3540.png
  • steamcommunity[dotcom]/workshop/filedetails/?id=1169712387 - From a TF2 workshop set steamcommunity[dotcom]/workshop/filedetails/?id=730175143
  • steamcommunity[dotcom]/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1171652734 - From a TF2 workshop item steamcommunity[dotcom]/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1174681192
  • steamcommunity[dotcom]/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=246247518 - From a videogame called GMTower/Tower Unite
  • steamcommunity[dotcom]/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=336941710 - From a videogame called GMTower/Tower Unite
  • steamcommunity[dotcom]/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=336941710 - From another TF2 workshop item steamcommunity[dotcom]/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1478033945

If I were you, I’d pay very close attention to the leaks and all the armor for the core, what we can see and what is leaked, and see exactly which pieces of armor you cannot live without and buy just those.

Imma admit it I’m having a problem deciding if I want to spend money getting the armor they kept putting in all the trailers, that samurai set is the coolest thing I’ve seen in a long time, but I really don’t want to support them putting event items in the store when they promised so much would be earned.

FOMO is a huge issue and they said they wouldn’t be taking advantage of it, of us, yet they do.

Every day as a halo fan with a burning passion for the artstyle and drop dead gorgeous armor, I get stabbed in the heart by 343.

1 Like