I love Defiant, but one thing...

Well two, first off the planet with the rings around it near Reach is in the sky box twice on Condemned, once out the window in the Communications room, and then again outside the window in the Generator room… hey maybe it’s a different planet but they look suspiciously identical.

Now the main point of this topic.
I think that Highlands is one of the best Halo maps to date, one problem. It’s hideously ugly. I’m sorry, I don’t mean to offend anyone who worked on it, but it really is. Let me rephrase that, all the natural stuff (minus the water) is hideous. The rock textures look slapped on and the valley in the sky box is really ugly for multiple reasons, the trees are not convincing at all and the water looks extremely out of place. Also the draw distance for some non-sky box trees that are in the sky box are really bad, making it look like there are giant deformed green carrots on the mountains. And speaking of the mountains, the geometry for the mountains and rocks is very jagged and just unpleasant to look at. Like I said, I love Highlands and I would pay for a new version of it that fixes the… ugly.
Compare it to Tempest, Tempest looks way better, now compare it to Forge World, which should look much worse. It doesn’t, Highlands looks worse instead. I would just like to know why you guys thought the sky box(not counting the actual sky and the ships) and the rocks looked good when really they look like a step back from Halo 3.
And to people who interpret this wrong, I am not saying Certain Affinity sucks at making maps or good looking maps, I mean Condemned is really pretty, and so is Unearthed, in fact I think with the exception of some textures that don’t line up it is one of the best looking maps ever, especially the sky box. I would also really like them to return for more map packs, I just want them to make sure that all the maps actually look beautiful next time.

Well, as I recall these maps were in development when Reach was still incomplete. The company is much smaller than Bungie too and they’ve been working with the CoD engine since Halo 2 which isn’t even at 720p. While Highlands doesn’t match up with the rest of Reach I wouldn’t say it looks too bad although I’d say don’t look too close to the cruisers in the sky and the tunnels aren’t too pretty.

> Well, as I recall these maps were in development when Reach was still incomplete. The company is much smaller than Bungie too and they’ve been working with the CoD engine since Halo 2 which isn’t even at 720p. While Highlands doesn’t match up with the rest of Reach I wouldn’t say it looks too bad although I’d say don’t look too close to the cruisers in the sky and the tunnels aren’t too pretty.

DLC is typically done by small teams, and that isn’t an excuse, Condemned and Unearthed are damn good looking.

Why would they make unearthed not pretty and make the others pretty?

Title.

I don’t have the map pack but i hear people saying highlands isn’t pretty at all

I kind of see what you mean about the water thing but, I can not see in any way the map being ugly. Like at all. Just my opinion.

I personally think that Highlands looks great as a map including the sky which is epic. But on ground level it seems as soon as you go 1 foot out of bound they gave up on the map and trees turn 2d and textures become bland. Still love the map though it’s awesome

Its probably for lag reasons why and that the planet is getting glassed. Hell even Comdemned lags when you aim down sights through the middle with sniper. We all know how bad Reach can lag with all of those pretty textures and objects. Maybe 343i is trying to count down on the lag, there’s no need to make the background super defined like the actually map. Highlands is being destroyed, maybe that’ another reaon why it looks like that.

good god the trees on the outside of the maps look like they were imported from halo 1

I know what you mean about the water and trees on the outskirts looking bad. The trees were very blocky until I zoomed in on them. However, in a game you wouldn’t really notice them that much as you’re looking in on the map, not out. Also, the skybox with the covenant cruisers glassing the planet looks absolutely amazing. So although some bits on the outskirts look poor, the majority of the map looks great.

> I kind of see what you mean about the water thing but, I can not see in any way the map being ugly. Like at all. Just my opinion.

This. Highlands is easily one of the best maps to date (like you said, OP). This goes for both visuals and gameplay.

If it looks bad so they could have the ships glassing then they have bad priorities.

Really? I think the Highlands skybox is beautiful.

The trees are funky though.

> Really? I think the Highlands skybox is beautiful.
>
> The trees are funky though.

The Sky is, but everything in the valley is ugly, the trees, the mountains, the water, and the textures.

Seriously, has anyone from 343i or Certain Affinity made a comment about the many mistakes in these maps and if they are going to do something different in the future? It’s really sad to see Certain Affinity, guys who started with Halo, give more love, at least on the polishing side, to Call of Duty.

I think Highlands is a good map in terms of gameplay, and at the moment, that’s good enough for me. Granted I’ve only been on it for two days, but I’m enjoying it more than the Noble Map Pack (not that that makes the Noble Map Pack bad, by the way). But I just think that the Defiant Map Pack is better.

Condemned feels reminiscent of good old enclosed arena style maps for me, something which feels a little missing in Reach. And Unearthed is a map built for Firefight. Need I say anymore?

I guess when I’m playing on Highlands I don’t look out at the trees enough to notice their detail or rather lack of - I’m too concentrated with the gameplay. But that doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate your point ArchedThunder. Some textures do seem a little bit rough upon closer inspection, though I wouldn’t compare them to Halo 2 standard. The double moon however is a poor oversight. :stuck_out_tongue:

Still, as I said, I am enjoying these maps nonetheless.

A step back from Halo 3 doesn’t mean Halo 2. Also you don’t really need to closely inspect them to tell the textures are poor, the rocks look like some one took a gray piece of paper and crumpled it up then put it on something and called it a rock.

who cares as long as it play awesome, and it does.

My only problem is that in the french version of the game the Firefight voice in Unearthed is in english. It’s not a big deal for me, but it can be annoying for a lot of french players.

I think all 3 maps are ugly. They really look like they were done in an earlier engine. Its a night and day difference between all the other maps. They also strike me as slapped together unfinished maps/campaign levels that were hurriedly finished and made into maps. This whole packs smacks of inattention to detail and laziness.