I just want to get this off my chest

Ever since I’ve joined the forums here I’ve seen almost nothing but absolute hatred for Halo 4 when it’s mentioned. People talked about it (and sometimes they still do) as if it was some kind of abomination that ruined the Halo franchise by making it into a shameless COD clone. A lot of people preached that everyone hated Halo 4, as if there was some kind of universal consensus. I was sick of people saying stuff like this all the time, and even now I’m still sick of it.

I’ve been fed up with most of the shooters I’ve been playing as of late, including Halo 5. So I got out my MCC disk and played a few rounds of Halo 4. After playing it for a good while, and remembering all of the nasty things people have said about it, I just wanted to say to all the people who claim that ‘literally everyone hates Halo 4’: You’re wrong. I’ve played all of the Halo games, been playing since 2006, and Halo 4 is by far my most favorite game of the Halo franchise (and with the way things are going now, it most likely always will be.)

They say that the addition of loadouts and ordinance made Halo 4 exactly like COD, but I wholeheartedly disagree. Halo 4 loadouts only let you spawn with basic weapons, whereas in COD you could spawn with sniper rifles, heavy machine guns, rocket launchers, and shotguns. Halo 4 didn’t allow that (inb4 Boltshot.) For the most part, it was just a way to pick something other than the Battle Rifle if you wanted to try something else. On the whole, I really liked personal loadouts in Halo 4 because I could try different combinations of weapons, abilities, and perks. For me, being able to mix things up with loadouts really makes shooters more enjoyable. I don’t know about the rest of you, but I get sick of using the same weapon in every single match.

As far as ordinance goes, I don’t think you can compare them to COD killstreaks. Ordinance gives you a free power weapon, nothing more. Killsteaks let you call in UAVs, care packages, attack helicopters, EMPs, nukes, etc., things that give you big bonuses and let you rack up multikills with minimal effort. And throughout all the games I’ve played on Halo 4, I’ve never been attacked by an enemy Pelican, or had my cover blown by a UAV, or been glassed from orbit because of another player calling in ordinance.

But the biggest reason why I like Halo 4 the most is because it’s (far) less sweaty than the other games. I can’t say that I know the exact reason why Halo 5 is so sweaty, but when I play it it feels like it fosters a ‘you win or you’re worthless’ attitude. Even Warzone, the game that’s supposed to be for casual and relaxed play, is ultra-competitive. Even today, if you play Warzone you’ll run into full teams of 12 going who bum-rush your armory then trap you and your teammates in the home base and spawn kill all of you for the entire match. Seriously, it’s ridiculous. There’s also the matter of time-to-kill, with Halo 5’s being shorter than Halo 4’s. It may not be that big of a difference numerically, but TTK is a sensitive thing in shooters. Even the littlest adjustment can give the game a totally different pace.

Those are the basic things I just wanted to get off my chest. I could go on, but I’m tired. When I go home for Thanksgiving break tomorrow, I think I’ll reacquire Halo 4 digitally and enjoy everything the game has to offer, instead of the snippet of it that the MCC has. If you ask me, as far as Halo games go, Halo 4 is just… perfect. For me, 2012 to 2015 was a golden age, one that may not return judging from the way Halo 5 is. Now I’d like to go back and enjoy it again, for as long for as I possibly can.

For all of those who hate Halo 4 (why are you on the Halo 4 forums to begin with…?) you can go ahead and verbally crucify me now, assuming you haven’t already before reading all of this. But if there’s anyone out there who loves Halo 4 like I do, whether your reasons are the same or not, go ahead and leave a comment. I’d love to meet some like-minded people.

Due to personal reasons I was never able to “finish” the halo 4 multiplayer. I really did enjoy the campaign though, the build up to cortona. I also really enjoyed Spartan ops as a whole. Yeah the maps were a tad repetitive, but if you turned those on Legendary you had better watch out. Plus it kept things fresh. Also seeing Halsey lose her arm and turn “evil” was pretty mind blowing.

I have always enjoyed Halo 4. I loved the art direction, the storyline was probably the most personal one in the series so far. The Audio was excellent. The soundtrack was full of atmosphere and suited the more personal and intimate nature of the game. Playing the game at 1080 60fps in the MCC also pretty much makes it a next gen game. The Prometheans while not my favourite enemy type were still interesting and I really like the new weapons they bring to the game, especially the animations when you first pick them up.

Seriously?
Do you think anyone believes any of that?

> 2533275008495099;4:
> Seriously?
> Do you think anyone believes any of that?

You’re going to have to be way more specific than that.

I agree with you OP. I never understood why so many Halo fans hated Halo 4. To me it was a great start for 343i. I thought their narrative was awesome, both in the Campaign and in Spartan Ops. They did a great job of nearly seamlessly picking up where Halo 3 left off, and then emphasized strong character development with MC and Cortana. I thought that the new characters were great and added a new dimension to the series. I was excited to find out what happened next.

The multiplayer was different from previous titles, but it wasn’t that different from Reach. It was cool that you could make your own loadouts with starting weapons based on your preference and situation. You still had to hunt down power weapons and vehicles were powerful and fun to use. Everyone had access to armor mods that could cater to how they wanted to play. Maps were large and spacious and added more depth to each match since there was an increase in speed. There were a few draw backs, like everyone being able to have a plasma pistol or a mini, handheld shotgun (The bolt shot was op back then).

Then they took Halo 5 in a different direction. The campaign supposedly changed based on the fact that supposedly no one liked Halo 4. Because of this they did not focus as much on characters they had developed, and added more characters who are in need of development in Halo 6. The multiplayer became focused more on competition on tiny maps that give you no breathing room and make all the players involved have to try and enjoy the sauna that is Arena.

Anyways, I had a lot of fun in Halo 4 and thought that it was a much more finished product at launch than Halo 5 was. Don’t get me wrong I like and enjoy both games, but that doesn’t mean I can’t be critical of certain aspects.

I will always hold Halo 4 in high regards, since to me it was a great and outstanding game.

> 2533274961306591;6:
> I agree with you OP. I never understood why so many Halo fans hated Halo 4. To me it was a great start for 343i. I thought their narrative was awesome, both in the Campaign and in Spartan Ops. They did a great job of nearly seamlessly picking up where Halo 3 left off, and then emphasized strong character development with MC and Cortana. I thought that the new characters were great and added a new dimension to the series. I was excited to find out what happened next.
> The multiplayer was different from previous titles, but it wasn’t that different from Reach. It was cool that you could make your own loadouts with starting weapons based on your preference and situation. You still had to hunt down power weapons and vehicles were powerful and fun to use. Everyone had access to armor mods that could cater to how they wanted to play. Maps were large and spacious and added more depth to each match since there was an increase in speed. There were a few draw backs, like everyone being able to have a plasma pistol or a mini, handheld shotgun (The bolt shot was op back then).
> Then they took Halo 5 in a different direction. The campaign supposedly changed based on the fact that supposedly no one liked Halo 4. Because of this they did not focus as much on characters they had developed, and added more characters who are in need of development in Halo 6. The multiplayer became focused more on competition on tiny maps that give you no breathing room and make all the players involved have to try and enjoy the sauna that is Arena.
> Anyways, I had a lot of fun in Halo 4 and thought that it was a much more finished product at launch than Halo 5 was. Don’t get me wrong I like and enjoy both games, but that doesn’t mean I can’t be critical of certain aspects.
> I will always hold Halo 4 in high regards, since to me it was a great and outstanding game.

From what I understand the vast majority of Halo 4’s backlash came from its multiplayer, not campaign. Some would even say that Halo 4 had the best campaign, and that Halo 5’s campaign was taken in a different direction for a number of different reasons. For example, some believe that Halsey was going to be the antagonist but Microsoft told 343 to change it to Cortana because more people know her. I can’t say that I know the exact cause(es) of Halo 5’s deviation of its campaign, but I’m sure that it wasn’t because of how the fans reacted to Halo 4.

Anyway, my main point is that there are a lot of people who think that everyone agrees that Halo 4 is bad, but that’s just wrong. They all like to compare it to COD, but like I already said I don’t think that’s a fair comparison. In addition to what I already said, the TTK is what sets Halo apart from COD. In COD, you have custom loadouts and players drop like flies after getting hit with 2 or 3 rounds, making it a twitch shooter. In a Halo game like Halo 3, everyone starts with the same equipment, with other weapons available for pickup across the map, and the long TTK is what makes it a tactical shooter.

I don’t like the near-instant kills in COD, and I don’t like the repetitiveness of Halo 3. Halo 4 was the best of both worlds for me. I could play around with loadouts and builds to keep things fresh, and at the same time it was about skilled gunplay and accurately landing your shots, instead of just simply seeing the other guy before they see you. And like you said, there were still vehicles and power weapons on the map that players could fight over to gain an upper hand, an element that had always been in Halo.

> 2533274978553590;1:
> Ever since I’ve joined the forums here I’ve seen almost nothing but absolute hatred for Halo 4 when it’s mentioned. People talked about it (and sometimes they still do) as if it was some kind of abomination that ruined the Halo franchise by making it into a shameless COD clone. A lot of people preached that everyone hated Halo 4, as if there was some kind of universal consensus. I was sick of people saying stuff like this all the time, and even now I’m still sick of it.
>
> I’ve been fed up with most of the shooters I’ve been playing as of late, including Halo 5. So I got out my MCC disk and played a few rounds of Halo 4. After playing it for a good while, and remembering all of the nasty things people have said about it, I just wanted to say to all the people who claim that ‘literally everyone hates Halo 4’: You’re wrong. I’ve played all of the Halo games, been playing since 2006, and Halo 4 is by far my most favorite game of the Halo franchise (and with the way things are going now, it most likely always will be.)
>
> They say that the addition of loadouts and ordinance made Halo 4 exactly like COD, but I wholeheartedly disagree. Halo 4 loadouts only let you spawn with basic weapons, whereas in COD you could spawn with sniper rifles, heavy machine guns, rocket launchers, and shotguns. Halo 4 didn’t allow that (inb4 Boltshot.) For the most part, it was just a way to pick something other than the Battle Rifle if you wanted to try something else. On the whole, I really liked personal loadouts in Halo 4 because I could try different combinations of weapons, abilities, and perks. For me, being able to mix things up with loadouts really makes shooters more enjoyable. I don’t know about the rest of you, but I get sick of using the same weapon in every single match.
>
> As far as ordinance goes, I don’t think you can compare them to COD killstreaks. Ordinance gives you a free power weapon, nothing more. Killsteaks let you call in UAVs, care packages, attack helicopters, EMPs, nukes, etc., things that give you big bonuses and let you rack up multikills with minimal effort. And throughout all the games I’ve played on Halo 4, I’ve never been attacked by an enemy Pelican, or had my cover blown by a UAV, or been glassed from orbit because of another player calling in ordinance.
>
> But the biggest reason why I like Halo 4 the most is because it’s (far) less sweaty than the other games. I can’t say that I know the exact reason why Halo 5 is so sweaty, but when I play it it feels like it fosters a ‘you win or you’re worthless’ attitude. Even Warzone, the game that’s supposed to be for casual and relaxed play, is ultra-competitive. Even today, if you play Warzone you’ll run into full teams of 12 going who bum-rush your armory then trap you and your teammates in the home base and spawn kill all of you for the entire match. Seriously, it’s ridiculous. There’s also the matter of time-to-kill, with Halo 5’s being shorter than Halo 4’s. It may not be that big of a difference numerically, but TTK is a sensitive thing in shooters. Even the littlest adjustment can give the game a totally different pace.
>
> Those are the basic things I just wanted to get off my chest. I could go on, but I’m tired. When I go home for Thanksgiving break tomorrow, I think I’ll reacquire Halo 4 digitally and enjoy everything the game has to offer, instead of the snippet of it that the MCC has. If you ask me, as far as Halo games go, Halo 4 is just… perfect. For me, 2012 to 2015 was a golden age, one that may not return judging from the way Halo 5 is. Now I’d like to go back and enjoy it again, for as long for as I possibly can.
>
> For all of those who hate Halo 4 (why are you on the Halo 4 forums to begin with…?) you can go ahead and verbally crucify me now, assuming you haven’t already before reading all of this. But if there’s anyone out there who loves Halo 4 like I do, whether your reasons are the same or not, go ahead and leave a comment. I’d love to meet some like-minded people.

This is a perfectly respectable opinion. Halo 4 was great. I regret missing out on it (I was too young). Domination looks like SO MUCH FUN! It’s almost like proto-warzone.

> 2535405449919732;8:
> > 2533274978553590;1:
> > -
>
> This is a perfectly respectable opinion. Halo 4 was great. I regret missing out on it (I was too young). Domination looks like SO MUCH FUN! It’s almost like proto-warzone.

It basically was a small-scale, early version of Warzone. Minus the rampant spawn-trapping/farming.

The best part of Halo 4 to me is the campaign. While I played it, I wanted the Promethean race to burn in H-E-Double hockey sticks. The customization was amazing, because you didn’t spend cR to unlock things, just hard work and determination. One thing I did not like about the game is that the model was based on reach, and by that I mean the language that the covenant speak, and the fall damage thing. In 2, it says that the new suit contains leg and arm braces. He didn’t change his suit in 4, and maybe those years in cryo took a toll on the braces. Other than that it’s a wonderful game.

> 2533274978553590;9:
> > 2535405449919732;8:
> > > 2533274978553590;1:
> > > -
> >
> > This is a perfectly respectable opinion. Halo 4 was great. I regret missing out on it (I was too young). Domination looks like SO MUCH FUN! It’s almost like proto-warzone.
>
> It basically was a small-scale, early version of Warzone. Minus the rampant spawn-trapping/farming.

I kinda wish I had the chance to play it… sniff…

> 2535405449919732;11:
> > 2533274978553590;9:
> > > 2535405449919732;8:
> > > > 2533274978553590;1:
> > > > -
> > >
> > > This is a perfectly respectable opinion. Halo 4 was great. I regret missing out on it (I was too young). Domination looks like SO MUCH FUN! It’s almost like proto-warzone.
> >
> > It basically was a small-scale, early version of Warzone. Minus the rampant spawn-trapping/farming.
>
> I kinda wish I had the chance to play it… sniff…

It can still be played on the Halo 4 playlist of the Master Chief Collection. The chances of it appearing and being voted for aren’t that high, but it’s still possible.

My good friend…you’re right.
Glad to know us who love to play Halo 4 still roam around :smiley:

I don’t think it’s the best. I liked 2, 3 and Reach better. But I still loved it. The campaign was great. Both story and missions. And I enjoyed Spartan Ops having free co op content to keep the game fresh. And while I wouldn’t say I was for loadouts, I wasn’t exactly too against them. I just liked the games feel. And got to SR130. So I played it a lot. The modes were so awesome. Like Regicide, Ricochet and Dominion. Armor customization was some of the best next to Reach. It was surely a more casual and different Halo game with all the loadouts changes. And i wouldn’t say I want Halo to come back to it. But I still like the game a lot in its own right. And find it better than Halo 5 as well.

Everything you said I can agree with. As sick as i am of people hating halo 4 I’m used to the same thing from Fallout 4 because everyone apparently hates it and says its not good because its not like Fallout 3 (which isn’t the main fallout anyway) and I could always rant about how they were wrong, but for Halo 4s case I couldn’t put it into words. You just did and I thank you

I remember all the hate it received when it released, and I felt like I was one of the few people who actually thoroughly enjoyed Halo 4. Like you’ve said OP, Halo 4 feels so much more relaxed and social, and that’s something that really sold me on the game. People care SO much more about K/D, and winning in Halo 5. The campaign in Halo4 was great, and I played Spartan Ops to death, until they made the matchmaking mode so difficult. I’ve had so many great memories with friends and random people in Custom Games. I completely agree with your points OP, and the poor comparisons people always make with COD. Halo 4 is one of my top 3 Halos, and always has a special place in my heart. Just thinking about all this makes me want to hop on the MCC and play some Halo 4 right now!

Edit: A great post to finally hit ODST Rank on Waypoint, after almost 4 years!

> 2533274885638438;16:
> I remember all the hate it received when it released, and I felt like I was one of the few people who actually thoroughly enjoyed Halo 4. Like you’ve said OP, Halo 4 feels so much more relaxed and social, and that’s something that really sold me on the game. People care SO much more about K/D, and winning in Halo 5. The campaign in Halo4 was great, and I played Spartan Ops to death, until they made the matchmaking mode so difficult. I’ve had so many great memories with friends and random people in Custom Games. I completely agree with your points OP, and the poor comparisons people always make with COD. Halo 4 is one of my top 3 Halos, and always has a special place in my heart. Just thinking about all this makes me want to hop on the MCC and play some Halo 4 right now!
> Edit: A great post to finally hit ODST Rank on Waypoint, after almost 4 years!

Yeah, that’s what I’ve been doing. When I have free time, at least. Over thanksgiving break I tried playing Halo 4 on the 360, but the matchmaking quality was just horrible. On the upside, I can watch all of the old clips I had saved over the years. Besides, we can always play it on the MCC, where the quality of gameplay is much better.I think that the improved framerate indirectly buffed the Storm Rifle and Suppressor; they’re much more viable than they used to be. And congrats on your rank up.

Halo 4 is one of my fav halo’s of all time. I wish they kept the BR from halo 4 and brought it over to Halo 5 same with DMR and sniper rifle.

<mark>This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not purposely bypass the word filter.</mark>
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

Halo 4 is my favourite Halo and I’ve created a dozen threads defending the cp out of it!!! I get A LOT of st for loving it though, on Live, on Waypoint, on YouTube, everywhere!!!

Halo 4 is my favourite Halo and I’ve created a dozen threads defending the cp out of it!!! I get A LOT of st for loving it though, on Live, on Waypoint, on YouTube, everywhere!!!

Edit; apologies for the accidental double post.